3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
A very dark scene, the image is supposed to be at night, with only a dim fire still lighting the room. Anyone have any advise on whether this requires improvement and what?
View attachment 1356119
1. Window. No stars or 'dark gray sky', it is better to make a render with a transparent background (Draw Dome off), and then a separate layer in Photoshop to put a black background. This is realistic in terms of the dynamic range of the scene.

2. Emphasis on characters. I would have dimmed the lighting on the walls, giving emphasis specifically to the man and woman, perhaps even leaving their intimate parts in semi-darkness (better to give a separate close-up emphasis on their sexy parts later). In addition to setting the light in DAZ you can easily do it in Photoshop exposure, but this requires a mask on the characters (do a render without light only the characters and possibly the bed, on backdrop 255-255-255)

Better if you get something like this, where there are only a few accents of light on the stage, and everything else is deliberately hidden in semi-darkness (this scene from Chasing Sunsets, in this game, in my opinion, the night scenes are made very well):

1Cabin165.jpg

Ghostface Reborn

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2018
yo. not the best place to ask but can anyone here help me with a music vid i'm working on? been working on it for months. just need someone to add a few special effects for me. figured it couldn't hurt to try here

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
Finally found the style for my project after working with stylized characters for some time. This is a preview of the older sister Annabelle, although she's still has a ways to go while I try to pair her looks to her personality.
Even though it reminds me of sims4 just at a higher resolution, it's beautiful. May I ask how you achieved this look? Possibly the skin/hair materials you used, but I might learn something about render settings as well by it.

Reactions: kazuma_the_guy

red-NINE

Jul 11, 2019
Can anyone tell me what this setting does?
I tried it on default value on 1 and custom value of 10, And I could not notice any difference in the renders, only the image file size got reduced when I rendered with custom value of 10
i.jpg

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
I tried it on default value on 1 and custom value of 10, And I could not notice any difference in the renders, only the image file size got reduced when I rendered with custom value of 10
DAZ FORUMS said:
The Rendering Quality setting controls a threshold of when Iray will consider a pixel "converged." Convergence is part of the iterative rendering process Iray uses. The more rays that strike a pixel, the faster the convergence, and the quicer the render is done. You can set a "stop-at" value of when iray considers the bulk of the pixels converged (default is 95%), but Rendering Quality eases or restricts the interpretation of when that convergence takes place.

A value of 1 is the normal setting. Going higher increases the threshold and Iray takes proportionally longer -- 2 means about 2X longer to render, 4 means another doubling, and so on.

Values under 1 reduces the threshold demand, and pixels are deemed converged when there may be objectionable artifacts. The ideas is to "tune" the setting to match your particular scene. It can be helpful in animations, where to go through the frames more quickly, you might want to set a lower convergence threshold but keep the other stop-at values alone.
In essence, it reduces artifacts while increasing render times. Think of it as a multiplier of how many rays have to hit a certain pixel so with a value of 1, you want one ray to hit each pixel, value of ten, ten rays per pixel, at point five you raycast every second pixel and so on. Why it reduces the size, I have no idea. Haven't heard that before.

It's more to it than that, convergence is not simply a raycast, but that's a very basic explanation of it.

red-NINE

Jul 11, 2019
In essence, it reduces artifacts while increasing render times. Think of it as a multiplier of how many rays have to hit a certain pixel so with a value of 1, you want one ray to hit each pixel, value of ten, ten rays per pixel, at point five you raycast every second pixel and so on. Why it reduces the size, I have no idea. Haven't heard that before.

It's more to it than that, convergence is not simply a raycast, but that's a very basic explanation of it.
Thanks

OutOfAshes

Engaged Member
Apr 14, 2019
View attachment 1357005
Higher render Quality means you have less iters but the render looks sharper and less grainy that you don‘t have to render up to 100 % and to have almost the same look at 50-60 %

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
View attachment 1357005
This approach (to put render quality somewhere to 5-10) makes sense if you use a CPU for rendering. I, for example, put there 5, or even 10. Аt the same time almost no rendering time increases, but the quality of rendering, as already written, dialed up for pixels much faster.

Why do you see such a paradox?

This is due to the fact that the CPU cores and their cache is loaded a small part of the scene (so, for example, Blender immediately offers you to render "squares" 256x256 pixels which is fits to CPU cashe, it's faster). If you have render quality set to 5 or 10, CPU keeps the part of scene 'in focus', but not sending it continuously between RAM and cashe, which consumes a lot of time.

DAZ in this respect is geared to the GPU and VRAM, where the whole scene, literally lies "in one dishwasher for dirty dishes" and you don't have to shuffle plates back and forth, and you just wait for the GPU to wash the scene of noise. Therefore, for rendering on the CPU, DAZ render settings must be reconfigured, for GPU rendering it makes no sense.

CPU cache is a fast memory, even faster than VRAM. Therefore, the CPU in it makes operations very fast and you can really save rendering time, even using a seemingly slow CPU with a small number of cores, but which are not just stupid ray tracers, as in the GPU, but normal processors with a complex command system.

Last edited:
Reactions: activeXmeasures

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
So..To all you people doing renders for a long time. I recently cleaned my laptop and it now can handle rendering without overheating. I also just managed to light up my scene, finalize the character design and pose it exactly the way I want to.

So far I let it render for a couple of hours for each render (afraid it'd overheat and I'd lose it all) at 960p with an hdri and a couple of lights max. In this new scene, I have full atmospherics and it's at 4k but the way it goes, it'd need about 2 days to finish. Should I bite the bullet and let it go until it finishes or I'm satisfied with the progress? Or the difference between my usual 20-30% and 90-98% isn't really worth it?

And by the way, it'll be a double render, as in..2 renders with same exact settings/lighting/atmosperics/etc.

Yustu

May 22, 2018
This approach (to put render quality somewhere to 5-10) makes sense if you use a CPU for rendering. I, for example, put there 5, or even 10. Аt the same time almost no rendering time increases, but the quality of rendering, as already written, dialed up for pixels much faster.

Why do you see such a paradox?

This is due to the fact that the CPU cores and their cache is loaded a small part of the scene (so, for example, Blender immediately offers you to render "squares" 256x256 pixels which is fits to CPU cashe, it's faster). If you have render quality set to 5 or 10, CPU keeps the part of scene 'in focus', but not sending it continuously between RAM and cashe, which consumes a lot of time.

DAZ in this respect is geared to the GPU and VRAM, where the whole scene, literally lies "in one dishwasher for dirty dishes" and you don't have to shuffle plates back and forth, and you just wait for the GPU to wash the scene of noise. Therefore, for rendering on the CPU, DAZ render settings must be reconfigured, for GPU rendering it makes no sense.

CPU cache is a fast memory, even faster than VRAM. Therefore, the CPU in it makes operations very fast and you can really save rendering time, even using a seemingly slow CPU with a small number of cores, but which are not just stupid ray tracers, as in the GPU, but normal processors with a complex command system.
Just want to correct Your point about cache and CPU rendering.
The point about Blender is incorrect. For CPU tile size should be small, for GPU large. This is due to amount of memory available to the device (CPU or GPU - talking about device memory, not RAM here).

CPU has L1 / L2 / L3 and GPU have L1 / L2 caches and if "task" can fit in it it will produce performance benefits. The slowest L3 (CPU) cache is magnitude faster then RAM. Speed of that memory is from where performance comes.
Of course layout of cores also matters, for example Zen CCX has it's own memory pools that can be accessed only by that CCX so as You can see if this memory could be accessed by others CCX then we don't need to duplicate memory for given task ("tile" while rendering) and share that data across all cores and having performance boost that way. On GPU side more "cores" (compute units) have access to that data, and of course there is more "cores", so it perform better then CPU. There are exceptions from that rule of course, i.e. Threadripper and depending on GPU that You compare it to it can perform better.
Now with GPU the problem is amount of that VRAM and so called "out of core" mode with has huge performance penalty.

Note that by "task" I mean set of instructions and data required to perform that task. There are multiple tasks types in rendering pipeline and rendering single "tile" consist of multiple of such tasks. It has nothing to do with i.e. texture size as this is "storage" kind of memory for data that are not needed to perform current task. If current, or next, task require data that is not in cache then that data is fetched from slower and larger memory, usually it's L3 or VRAM and then, if data can't fit there or is simply not accessed earlier, it's fetched from RAM (for GPU assuming out of core mode support). So it's slow.

As for the value in iRay (Daz) - dunno didn't researched that, but most likely it doesn't matter in Your renderings (i.e. doesn't influence rendering time) because, most likely, other limitations kinck in first, i.e. total amount of iterations.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes