3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

LBW

Jan 13, 2018
So..To all you people doing renders for a long time. I recently cleaned my laptop and it now can handle rendering without overheating. I also just managed to light up my scene, finalize the character design and pose it exactly the way I want to.

So far I let it render for a couple of hours for each render (afraid it'd overheat and I'd lose it all) at 960p with an hdri and a couple of lights max. In this new scene, I have full atmospherics and it's at 4k but the way it goes, it'd need about 2 days to finish. Should I bite the bullet and let it go until it finishes or I'm satisfied with the progress? Or the difference between my usual 20-30% and 90-98% isn't really worth it?

And by the way, it'll be a double render, as in..2 renders with same exact settings/lighting/atmosperics/etc.
Personally I never render more than 1500 iterations(samples). Basically at 1500 I've set the denoiser to kick in. In my experience 1500 iterations are enough for any render, no matter how complex your scene/lighting is. Anything beyond 1500 it's a waste of time and electrical current in my opinion. Now depending on the computer configuration, 1500 iterations can take days, hours or 10-15 minutes. In my case, I render at 2560x1440 (basically 2K resolution) and depending on the number of objects in the scene the render takes around 10-15 minutes.

Reactions: AlexStone

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
Just want to correct Your point about cache and CPU rendering.
The point about Blender is incorrect. For CPU tile size should be small, for GPU large. This is due to amount of memory available to the device (CPU or GPU - talking about device memory, not RAM here).

CPU has L1 / L2 / L3 and GPU have L1 / L2 caches and if "task" can fit in it it will produce performance benefits. The slowest L3 (CPU) cache is magnitude faster then RAM. Speed of that memory is from where performance comes.
Of course layout of cores also matters, for example Zen CCX has it's own memory pools that can be accessed only by that CCX so as You can see if this memory could be accessed by others CCX then we don't need to duplicate memory for given task ("tile" while rendering) and share that data across all cores and having performance boost that way. On GPU side more "cores" (compute units) have access to that data, and of course there is more "cores", so it perform better then CPU. There are exceptions from that rule of course, i.e. Threadripper and depending on GPU that You compare it to it can perform better.
Now with GPU the problem is amount of that VRAM and so called "out of core" mode with has huge performance penalty.

Note that by "task" I mean set of instructions and data required to perform that task. There are multiple tasks types in rendering pipeline and rendering single "tile" consist of multiple of such tasks. It has nothing to do with i.e. texture size as this is "storage" kind of memory for data that are not needed to perform current task. If current, or next, task require data that is not in cache then that data is fetched from slower and larger memory, usually it's L3 or VRAM and then, if data can't fit there or is simply not accessed earlier, it's fetched from RAM (for GPU assuming out of core mode support). So it's slow.

As for the value in iRay (Daz) - dunno didn't researched that, but most likely it doesn't matter in Your renderings (i.e. doesn't influence rendering time) because, most likely, other limitations kinck in first, i.e. total amount of iterations.
Well, that's more of a supplement than a refutation of what I said.
Indeed, the size of the optimal "tile" depends on many parameters. (My first renders on my ancient laptop with the first i5 series in Blender I've made with 16x16 tiles, oh my god it took me sooooooo long!)

But the fact is that "tiled" mode where you don't have to pull data back and forth from RAM to cache in Blender gives me a nice performance boost (I've measured it too, it's almost a 40% saving in time). In DAZ/Iray, as I said, there's no such mode: the renderer jumps around the whole picture at once, so there's not much to compare it with.

That leaves me only to compare by eye: does the render quality parameter give any savings? For me it does: the renderer can stop at a smaller number of iterations and at approximately the same quality, and the time itself is a single iteration increases, though not by much. That is, the overall gain is evident. But, as I said, this is a subjective view, because in this variant we deliberately discard the conversion ratio parameter.

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
Personally I never render more than 1500 iterations(samples). Basically at 1500 I've set the denoiser to kick in. In my experience 1500 iterations are enough for any render, no matter how complex your scene/lighting is. Anything beyond 1500 it's a waste of time and electrical current in my opinion. Now depending on the computer configuration 1500 iterations can take days, hours or 10-15 minutes. In my case I render at 2560x1440 (basically 2K resolution) and depending on the number of objects in the scene the render takes around 10-15 minutes.
https://f95zone.to/threads/daz3d-art-show-us-your-dazskill.4764/page-2589#post-6383156

With the old noise reduction, which worked on every rendering step, you could stop at 600-800 iterations, at 1000 there was no trace of noise anymore.
But, as I understand, in new versions of DAZ this option of noise reduction was removed? Or not?

LBW

Jan 13, 2018
https://f95zone.to/threads/daz3d-art-show-us-your-dazskill.4764/page-2589#post-6383156

With the old noise reduction, which worked on every rendering step, you could stop at 600-800 iterations, at 1000 there was no trace of noise anymore.
But, as I understand, in new versions of DAZ this option of noise reduction was removed? Or not?
You can set it to start at frame 0 or any other frame. In theory you can start with the denoiser right away as you hit render, but I've seen very weird artefacts especially on reflective surfaces if it kicks in too early.

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
You can set it to start at frame 0 or any other frame. In theory you can start with the denoiser right away as you hit render, but I've seen very weird artefacts especially on reflective surfaces if it kicks in too early.
I know about this problem with the new denoiser, the same artifacts are constantly being caught by the regular denoiser in Blender. That's why I love the old denoiser, which I use in all my renders, because I haven't seen this kind of fuck-up.

MothManlet

Nov 11, 2020
Even though it reminds me of sims4 just at a higher resolution, it's beautiful. May I ask how you achieved this look? Possibly the skin/hair materials you used, but I might learn something about render settings as well by it.
I'm using genesis 8.1. The model itself is custom but the head is based off of this character
I'm also using a little bit of growing up morphs with the head neutralized to help get the to the right scale that I want for height. Then I use regular height morphs to adjust so she doesn't look to compressed or stretched.

As for hair I decided to go with an old genesis 2 hair because it was simpler and fit better with the overall look I was going for. I replaced the materials of the hair with these shaders then set the transparency of the hair surfaces to 0.7 (Except for the tie and skullcap)

The eyes use a modified version of this asset
I lowered the translucency of the sclera to 0.2 to brighten the whites. I also did this for the irises then added a little bit of a green tint on the iris base color to add some more saturation.

I'm using victoria 8.1 eyelashes with LIE eyeshadow from this character

This is what I used for tanlines

The skin base textures are a modified version of this character's textures

The actual skin material is made by me and uses a bit more of an exaggerated subsurf setup. I'm also using top coat instead of dual lobe specular because it gives a more simple glossy look. I'll attach some screenshots of my material setup for reference.

1629217000048.png
1629217065173.png
1629217099367.png
1629217133860.png
1629217209216.png
1629217267257.png

I also use photoshop for post processing to help bring out the colors brighten the shadows and adjust the contrast a bit.

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Is that an old feature ? Because I only found it in an old sickleyield post from 2015 because I do not find it in my up to date version in the advanced tab of the render option and after that googled for it.
View attachment 1354002

I use this version, try to look at your version manuals, I believe similar options should be somewhere in them.
That option checkbox was removed from DAZ in version 4.12. It is on by default and cannot be turned off in all versions from 4.12, AlexStone the version you are using was released in December 2017, 4.15 is the current version and it was released in January 2021, even that version is now 8 months old.

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
That option checkbox was removed from DAZ in version 4.12. It is on by default and cannot be turned off in all versions from 4.12.
Above the thread somebody dug documentation that this option was simply removed because it did not work correctly with VRAM. That is, after 4.12 there is no OptiX at all, as well as normal RAM or VRAM management.

the version you are using was released in December 2017, 4.15 is the current version and it was released in January 2021, even that version is now 8 months old.
I'm fine with my version of DAZ. :)
am0_eb0_et0_lm0_ms0_im_fine_1.jpg

Tokoy

Jul 5, 2017
18+ version of the new girl. So far it's mostly about the Skin Builder work, and the legs + general proportions.
Kinda happy that I finally figured out how to make skins with actually pink nipples and a tone that doesn't need colorgrading.

She could be from... France?
Can you please share the Skin Builder config. for this skin?

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes