3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Salami Pasta

Apr 4, 2020
Is Anyone else going to get in on this?

XenoFash 's original post

My take on it.

come on people don't let this initiative run out of breath with just one attempt at it (sorry Captain Bipto but yours doesn't really count does it?) :p
Hey, fun stuff!
Gotta remember to do a couple tomorrow.

Feb 3, 2020
So can any of you top this? :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 1391553
Not on a session that's not crashing. Daz has a serious memory leak problem. I only have 64GB so I could only match yours but people were crashing with 128GB on Daz forum and I bet those people can top yours. There is also a guy on deviantart who was testing the limit of RTX3090 and found out that Daz always crashes after his RTX3090 went above 20GB VRAM and far below its 24GB and it was because he ran out of DRAM in his 64GB rig.

Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece

Seanthiar

Jun 18, 2020
Not on a session that's not crashing. Daz has a serious memory leak problem. I only have 64GB so I could only match yours but people were crashing with 128GB on Daz forum and I bet those people can top yours. There is also a guy on deviantart who was testing the limit of RTX3090 and found out that Daz always crashes after his RTX3090 went above 20GB VRAM and far below its 24GB and it was because he ran out of DRAM in his 64GB rig.
The problem is that DAZ get problems when you have CPU and GPU enabled for render and the amount of data exceeds the amount of VRAM and DAZ tries to switch to CPU render only. I switched my preferences to GPU only render and now when it exceeds the amount of VRAM it does not crash when switching to CPU render. The difference between GPU+CPU or only GPU render is not that massive for me. DAZ now only crashes when it exceeds the normal RAM too. And another problem is that DAZ is not good with cleaning up. Rendering and then deleting a scene and loading a new scene and render can crash and doesn't happen if you restart DAZ after rendering and then start with a new scene. There is even a render queue tool that does that because they know the problem.

Feb 3, 2020
The problem is that DAZ get problems when you have CPU and GPU enabled for render and the amount of data exceeds the amount of VRAM and DAZ tries to switch to CPU render only. I switched my preferences to GPU only render and now when it exceeds the amount of VRAM it does not crash when switching to CPU render. The difference between GPU+CPU or only GPU render is not that massive for me. DAZ now only crashes when it exceeds the normal RAM too. And another problem is that DAZ is not good with cleaning up. Rendering and then deleting a scene and loading a new scene and render can crash and doesn't happen if you restart DAZ after rendering and then start with a new scene. There is even a render queue tool that does that because they know the problem.
Even if you are in GPU only mode the amount DRAM is still needed to be 2-3x your VRAM for Daz not to crash or slows to a crawl if it taps virtual memory. Daz needs to decompress ALL the textures into DRAM before CPU can send the scene to GPU. Geometry memory supposedly works differently. Geometry uses more VRAM but saves DRAM and speeds up rendering if not pair with unnecessary normals. There is a guy on Daz forum who did tests and that Daz HD characters in SubD4 renders at least 50% faster than its non-HD counterpart at SubD2 because Daz HD characters don't use normals. HD does use more VRAM.

Yeah, Daz memory management or the lack of really sucks balls for people without super expensive rigs.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes