3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Notretsam

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
I build almost all of my scenes from scratch using bits and pieces of different assets. The trick is that you really only need a few key things to fill out the scene- those that can be seen (directly or in a reflection) and those that affect what can be seen (shadows mainly).

Another trick is to do multiple renders. Make a scene of the outside world and render it, then render your indoor scene but leave the dome off so everything that's empty is transparent. Photoshop the interior render over the exterior render and you'll only see through the windows.
yeah I was planning to do same with sets, but I actually was hoping to build like a full house, with houses around about as well, then place multiple camera and lights, so anytime I wanted to setup a scene in a location, I just set viewport to correct camera, then set up characters and render. figure that would save me lots of time but sounds like, more I have in scene, even if it not visible in viewport, the longer it take to render.

Reactions: zramcharan

Evic

May 25, 2018
yeah I was planning to do same with sets, but I actually was hoping to build like a full house, with houses around about as well, then place multiple camera and lights, so anytime I wanted to setup a scene in a location, I just set viewport to correct camera, then set up characters and render. figure that would save me lots of time but sounds like, more I have in scene, even if it not visible in viewport, the longer it take to render.
You can try with section planes too, they effectively make everything on one side of them invisible to the iray engine. You can parent them to the camera and angle them to match the camera's FoV for some quick & dirty renders. That won't help much with viewport performance or anything like that though.

Another simple trick is to use groups. Anything in a group can have it's visibility toggles with a single click and it's pretty helpful. It behaves differently than just parenting items to other items, which is great to keep them together when moving them around and such. A good example of the benefit of a group is to create a character with eyelashes, hair and clothing. When not in a group you will have to hide the body, clothing, hair, eyelashes, etc individually. However, put that character in their own group and all you need to do is toggle the group visibility to (un)hide all of that in one click :)

Groups are great for scenery since you can hide many objects when you're working so the viewport is faster or hide the groups that you don't need for a single render. However, using groups to make a detailed house and surrounding neighborhood will still be a painful experience when you need to save or load the full scene among other things. In the end I still recommend just building only what you need for the scene you're rendering. In most cases, any time saved by making a large complex scene to be used from multiple cameras for different shots will be lost trying to manipulate, navigate and optimize it several times.

DanMachiFan

Jan 22, 2018

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Well, the last picture is just an illustration of today's american school. I see no problem whatsover.
It might be with one small exception. If a female teacher were to open her blouse and expose her breasts to a male student, as is shown in the last picture, she would get locked up, because that is a crime.

SvenVlad

Modder
Aug 11, 2017
It might be with one small exception. If a female teacher were to open her blouse and expose her breasts to a male student, as is shown in the last picture, she would get locked up, because that is a crime.
That is what's been happening in the US nowadays. Almost every month a female teacher gets arrested for having sex with a minor.

Notretsam

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
You can try with section planes too, they effectively make everything on one side of them invisible to the iray engine. You can parent them to the camera and angle them to match the camera's FoV for some quick & dirty renders. That won't help much with viewport performance or anything like that though.

Another simple trick is to use groups. Anything in a group can have it's visibility toggles with a single click and it's pretty helpful. It behaves differently than just parenting items to other items, which is great to keep them together when moving them around and such. A good example of the benefit of a group is to create a character with eyelashes, hair and clothing. When not in a group you will have to hide the body, clothing, hair, eyelashes, etc individually. However, put that character in their own group and all you need to do is toggle the group visibility to (un)hide all of that in one click :)

Groups are great for scenery since you can hide many objects when you're working so the viewport is faster or hide the groups that you don't need for a single render. However, using groups to make a detailed house and surrounding neighborhood will still be a painful experience when you need to save or load the full scene among other things. In the end I still recommend just building only what you need for the scene you're rendering. In most cases, any time saved by making a large complex scene to be used from multiple cameras for different shots will be lost trying to manipulate, navigate and optimize it several times.
grouping and being able to hide groups is interesting , could maybe assign each room in a house as a group , so bedroom 1, bedroom 2 , living room, bathroom dstairs, bathroom ustairs etc.

however am starting to think you might be right on just building what I need for any scene I ever do is best.

I just want to try and save time, so I can get more content done each month (or 2 months) for a release, why am trying to find some shortcuts so to speak. I most likely going be using these locations again, so why I was thinking I build a full street and locations, I can still do that, just didn't realise everything in scene counts to render time, even if it not in camera shot.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes