3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
Maybe this is a bit off topic, but does anyone know of a good walkthrough for reinstalling Daz on a different drive? I had it installed on my C drive, but the size was becoming a bit of a problem. I would like to install it on my D drive, but even with the walkthroughs I've found it's still a mess. Files aren't loading properly, and I can't figure out exactly where I'm going wrong. I'm sure someone here has had the pleasure of trying to install on a different drive, so I'd love to hear how you got it to work.

Reactions: Zavijava_

Zavijava_

Oct 19, 2020
Maybe this is a bit off topic, but does anyone know of a good walkthrough for reinstalling Daz on a different drive? I had it installed on my C drive, but the size was becoming a bit of a problem. I would like to install it on my D drive, but even with the walkthroughs I've found it's still a mess. Files aren't loading properly, and I can't figure out exactly where I'm going wrong. I'm sure someone here has had the pleasure of trying to install on a different drive, so I'd love to hear how you got it to work.
Ooh, I did this before but I don't remember exactly what I did - sorry.

I manually copied the folder (including both the "Daz 3D" folder with the program and smart content library, and the "DAZ Studio Content" folder with the other library of stuff I hadn't installed using DIM) from one location to another. This worked fine for running the program, but then I had to go into DAZ settings and change a bunch of paths to the new folder.

I know I fiddled around a lot with Edit -> Preferences -> Content tab -> Content Directory Manager, changing several paths inside there and then restarting Daz, but I think I also had to change things somewhere else? But I'm not sure on that. Also, naturally, all your save/load dialogs will "remember" being in the old folder so you'll have to navigate to the new one a few times when working, but that's easy enough.

[EDIT] I had to change the paths in DIM as well, so that new files would install to the correct location. I think it's just that and the paths in Content Directory Manager that you need to edit. may have been the one that I used. Hope it helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: Impious Monk

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
Ooh, I did this before but I don't remember exactly what I did - sorry.

I manually copied the folder (including both the "Daz 3D" folder with the program and smart content library, and the "DAZ Studio Content" folder with the other library of stuff I hadn't installed using DIM) from one location to another. This worked fine for running the program, but then I had to go into DAZ settings and change a bunch of paths to the new folder.

I know I fiddled around a lot with Edit -> Preferences -> Content tab -> Content Directory Manager, changing several paths inside there and then restarting Daz, but I think I also had to change things somewhere else? But I'm not sure on that. Also, naturally, all your save/load dialogs will "remember" being in the old folder so you'll have to navigate to the new one a few times when working, but that's easy enough.

[EDIT] I had to change the paths in DIM as well, so that new files would install to the correct location. I think it's just that and the paths in Content Directory Manager that you need to edit. may have been the one that I used. Hope it helps!
That's more or less what I've done, but I think there's a very serious order of operations that I failed to follow.

46n2

Jun 29, 2021
I'm not a fan of raincoats (I'd just rather not fuck like that, so I generally don't).

But that right there is about as delightfully compelling an indicator of "the rules of engagement" that I could ever hope to witness (or receive). Fair enough then - she wins (and often, I bet).

Reactions: zOh

DiosDecay

Mar 2, 2018
I had the same issue with room etc, so I moved all my assets to another drive. What exactly is the issue you are having? is DAZ unable to find what you want to load? or things not loading at all?

I had to change all the paths in the content directory manager and delete the old paths as well as change install paths in DIM as well as DAZ central

46n2

Jun 29, 2021
A few renders from a project that I'm (slowly) working on. Lemme know what you think.

View attachment 1796996 View attachment 1796999 View attachment 1797000
You're clearly putting a ton of time and effort into each frame/capture.

-The first shot I was thinking, "He's going berserk with all that and he'll never get past go."

-The second shot I like immediately. Every extra effort spent there was worth it. And in particular - an area I am mostly annoyed by being overlooked - the Expressions tell us plenty and the surroundings match the thought. I love it.

-The third shot also nails the effort spent on expression. It's not cheap, you did the lighting, etc to maximize a real moment there.

Keep on keepin on, bro!! Enjoy the getting there.

Last edited:

46n2

Jun 29, 2021
It's been long enough that I cannot remember the Installation method (or options). But I DID foresee that problem. Installed DAZ on my SSD for speed - and all the addons to my partition/non SSD. I've begun throwing a ton of addons in there these last few months and I'm surprised how well and quickly it appears to retrieve that. Can't qualify any loss I might be seeing as a result of that HD/storage differential.

I basically set up a "mirror" folder for the "MY LIBRARY" on the HD with lots more space. And throw everything in there (spent a fair amount of time determining the file structure and encountered LOTS of issues there with some early/shitty addons/products). But now it's just simple cut and paste and it all loads quite effectively.

-To SUM UP: I did install DAZ on my SSD. All the "products" are thrown in another HD/partition. And there IS A WAY To tell DAZ how to point at that "outside access" storage but I do not remember how to go about that.

I can only tell you: it's definitely worth figuring out, cuz yeah - keep all that crap off your SSD!

Good luck.

Reactions: Impious Monk
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes