3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

wd1111

Sep 26, 2021
how do I make Swimming Ring do this like in a promotional image
View attachment 2150754 View attachment 2150761
I'm using this:
If there are no morphs to dial on the floatie for the poses that came with the asset, Meshgrabber addon and maybe a smoothing modifier, Meshgrabber isn't a panacea, sometimes the asset mesh geometry just isn't detailed enough to move what needs to be moved, also it will work only on the base detail mesh, not the subd

some of those "artists" on Daz store should be beaten with a stick for the renders they supply with their products

other than that - export the asset to Blender, add mesh detail as necessary, import back to Daz for future use, then use the more detailed mesh in Blender to sculpt to your liking (without changing number of vertices, faces etc), export as obj and import into Daz as morph for that new, high detail, base model you previously created, and get rid of the original low poly thing (this very simple explanation, there are more things to do)

Last edited:

Smbt3D

Nov 3, 2019
Personally I'd recommend Daz3D's Hexagon for quick and dirty mesh manipulation.
Sure it has a lot of flaws, but it's easy to use and free and it has this really time- saving bridge to Daz Studio.

P.S. Sending things back to Studio as a morph does only work when you've sent them to Hexagon in zeroed state (no other morphs, original position)

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
Had to render in parts, the scenery actually took more time to render than the models. I'm starting to think I demand too much from my GTX 1660.
View attachment 2150947
Depends, DAZ's implementation of iray is done very poorly. Try the same scene with the octane plugin or try to cut out stuff that isn't needed, as in "not seen by the camera", then you should get some additional milage out of your card. Also try to use less taxing maps for props that don't need much details.

Reactions: skrusher

DitaVonTease

Jul 25, 2021
how do I make Swimming Ring do this like in a promotional image
View attachment 2150754 View attachment 2150761
I'm using this:
If there are no morphs to dial on the floatie for the poses that came with the asset, Meshgrabber addon and maybe a smoothing modifier, Meshgrabber isn't a panacea, sometimes the asset mesh geometry just isn't detailed enough to move what needs to be moved, also it will work only on the base detail mesh, not the subd

some of those "artists" on Daz store should be beaten with a stick for the renders they supply with their products

other than that - export the asset to Blender, add mesh detail as necessary, import back to Daz for future use, then use the more detailed mesh in Blender to sculpt to your liking (without changing number of vertices, faces etc), export as obj and import into Daz as morph for that new, high detail, base model you previously created, and get rid of the original low poly thing (this very simple explanation, there are more things to do)
Personally I'd recommend Daz3D's Hexagon for quick and dirty mesh manipulation.
Sure it has a lot of flaws, but it's easy to use and free and it has this really time- saving bridge to Daz Studio.

P.S. Sending things back to Studio as a morph does only work when you've sent them to Hexagon in zeroed state (no other morphs, original position)

Firstly, add a smoothing modifier to the ring, then add the figure as collision object. Meshgrabber might be better to clean up with. Have a look at this video ''
Deforming Furniture Items with Figures in DAZ Studio''.
I'll second the export to Blender, deform the seat there if you can't get on with smoothing modifier.

Lastly, Hexagon isn't worth the space in memory, it's crude, it's controls are 'arse about face' compared to everything else I've tried.

Reactions: shadowr19

Balkazzaar

Nov 12, 2019
Depends, DAZ's implementation of iray is done very poorly. Try the same scene with the octane plugin or try to cut out stuff that isn't needed, as in "not seen by the camera", then you should get some additional milage out of your card. Also try to use less taxing maps for props that don't need much details.
But i am guessing for octane renders you need octane skin/textures... thats just additional and expensive storage that is needed...

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
But i am guessing for octane renders you need octane skin/textures... thats just additional and expensive storage that is needed...
Not really, you can use the exact same maps, as you use for iray. All you have to do is put them manually into the shader. And to be honest, as soon as you try to aim for realism you need to learn about maps and shaders anyway.
Maybe you should study the Iray uber shader. It is pretty self-explanatory and its principles transfer to other universal shaders from other render engines quite nicely. If you stick to the settings level at first.

DitaVonTease

Jul 25, 2021
Had to render in parts, the scenery actually took more time to render than the models. I'm starting to think I demand too much from my GTX 1660.
View attachment 2150947

is what you need, it'll remove everything but your camera view, while giving you te option to keep lights from outside the frame in use. It will drastically cut the render size, from what you have as the total scene, to something your Graphics card can handle with ease.

wd1111

Sep 26, 2021
Firstly, add a smoothing modifier to the ring, then add the figure as collision object. Meshgrabber might be better to clean up with. Have a look at this video ''
Deforming Furniture Items with Figures in DAZ Studio''.
I'll second the export to Blender, deform the seat there if you can't get on with smoothing modifier.

Lastly, Hexagon isn't worth the space in memory, it's crude, it's controls are 'arse about face' compared to everything else I've tried.
if only Daz would, instead of releasing a new figure that no one really seemed to care for much, fixed that collision thing (among other issues) so that it doesn't create empty space between the chair and the figure, or at least add some sort of slider which would allow to control how much that figure is deforming the chair

as usual, there are workarounds, create a geometry shell for the figure, set the chair collision item to be this new shell, then select your geometry shell and start playing around with mesh offset value, which, luckily, can also be negative (so the shell being on the outside, starts to shrink and is in the inside of the figure mesh), start with -1 for instance, and go -2 -3 -4 etc and watch what the chair surface is doing, when it starts to look like it is in contact with the original figure, you're basically done (this may not work with smaller figure parts, like hand fingers)

there is a big BUT, sometimes the asset geometry simply doesn't play well with smoothing modifier and/or subd conversion, it may screw the asset up beyond repair (in the scene, delete and bring it in again from the library), then the only option left really is the Blender route, remesh, generate new UV layout, adjust where necessary, bring back into Daz

but, the more I learn these things about Daz, especially about figure export/import, which for mere mortals is possible only in base mesh resolution, so you can't sculpt in HD basically, the more I find myself thinking that it just ain't worth it, and I'd rather be focusing my efforts on some other product (like UE5<>Blender), the only "problem" is that I've spent probably 3-4k in last year in Daz store on assets and addons and such

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes