3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

mastergobbo

Oct 17, 2021
Trying to figure out a way to separate one runtime-environment for one scene, instead of having them all active and picking items from them in a kit-bashing manner. This only lead to suddenly HUGE scene-files and loading times to over an hour (scene e.g. my last post), and when looking at the ".duf"-scene, there where noumerous lines pointing to some morphs I had used one or another time, but most where actually "zeroed" and not in use.
I have no idea how to get rid of them. DAZ is an insanely dumb programmed piece of software in more than this regard.
last thing I tried, is different solutions in gathering the neccessary content for the scene ( or the freebie from ShareCG), even put some code together myself to examine the .duf-scene to extract the links to the seemingly used morphs and other parts of the scene. But in the end I ... end up with a single library-folder, containing ALL useless morphs (because they are listed in the .duf), and my loading time got decreased by about 5 mins.

So, currently I try to figure out how to set up a system for JUST one library-folder, containing all, and JUST the morphs and props I use in the scene, and to be able to put the library togeter with the scene for later backup.

In the meantime ....

You sure you won't get me some icecream?
yousure.jpg

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Trying to figure out a way to separate one runtime-environment for one scene, instead of having them all active and picking items from them in a kit-bashing manner. This only lead to suddenly HUGE scene-files and loading times to over an hour (scene e.g. my last post), and when looking at the ".duf"-scene, there where noumerous lines pointing to some morphs I had used one or another time, but most where actually "zeroed" and not in use.
I have no idea how to get rid of them. DAZ is an insanely dumb programmed piece of software in more than this regard.
last thing I tried, is different solutions in gathering the neccessary content for the scene ( or the freebie from ShareCG), even put some code together myself to examine the .duf-scene to extract the links to the seemingly used morphs and other parts of the scene. But in the end I ... end up with a single library-folder, containing ALL useless morphs (because they are listed in the .duf), and my loading time got decreased by about 5 mins.

So, currently I try to figure out how to set up a system for JUST one library-folder, containing all, and JUST the morphs and props I use in the scene, and to be able to put the library togeter with the scene for later backup.

In the meantime ....

View attachment 2377757
Yeah, welcome to DAZ!
There are what I would call parasite morphs, that are set to auto-follow and attach themselves to every model or scene you create. Some of the worst offenders are Zeddicuss with almost all of the Morph/Pose combos, VOOTW with most of the character morphs being set auto-follow, and a lot of stuff from renderotica. It causes scene .duf files to become bloated with stuff you actually didn't use and if there are errors makes loading times unusually long. I feel for you as I have been down that road before. Even using an m.2 drive for your library doesn't really help with these bloated files.

I ended up with using multiple libraries with morphs selectively installed in each, with one library that has every asset package loaded. The other thing you need to do is just ignore the errors of missing morphs if they truly aren't used and resave the scene, basically DAZ saves what is loaded, if it ain't loaded it isn't in the saved .duf.

Also if you try to use a large scene, with multiple views or extra assets loaded to make your life easier, please note that this slows render times. IMO, DAZ was not created to make your life easier, it was created to sell assets in the DAZ store.

Last edited:

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019

In the meantime ....

View attachment 2377757
Oh, and one more thing. Do not complain about how DAZ works on their forums, there is a Dick moderator (his actual name and behavior) that will delete any posts that he deems are anti-DAZ.

Reactions: mastergobbo
Dec 16, 2019

In the meantime ....

View attachment 2377757
Daz will load every morph every time a new figure is added to a scene, this is why it becomes unusable with too many morphs. I've separated out nearly all of my character morphs into a separate "Base Directory" that I only add if I make a new char. I've separated out things like hd details, clothing morphs, and expressions/pose stuff into the main working directory. When I like the char I export an obj file, touch it up in blender, then after removing my character builder directory I make a new morph for that char. I however don't save it as a morph. Then it would need to be loaded for every other figure. I save the character as a scene subset, then the morph data is isolated to just that one character. I have so much I've downloaded so much from here but unless I'm creating something new I can load a character in under 10 secs.

Things that I that make a scene file huge are anything that it can't load from the data directory. If you transfer a morph onto something else, fit clothes from another gen figure, import a prop from an obj file, etc., it will save it in the scene file. I also never use scenes, just scene subset, they seem exactly the same just one doesn't want to close what you're working on when you try to load it.

Last edited:

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Daz will load every morph every time a new figure is added to a scene, this is why it becomes unusable with too many morphs. I've separated out nearly all of my character morphs into a separate "Base Directory" that I only add if I make a new char. I've separated out things like hd details, clothing morphs, and expressions/pose stuff into the main working directory. When I like the char I export an obj file, touch it up in blender, then after removing my character builder directory I make a new morph for that char. I however don't save it as a morph. Then it would need to be loaded for every other figure. I save the character as a scene subset, then the morph data is isolated to just that one character. I have so much I've downloaded so much from here but unless I'm creating something new I can load a character in under 10 secs.
Two issues merged together. DAZ does not SAVE every morph it loads with a character or scene, just those set to auto-follow in addition to the ones you actually use. It does however load every morph when you load a character. Two separate things, a .duf will bloat with all those auto-follow morphs saved with it (surprisingly more than anyone would expect), files will take longer to load if you have a lot of morph packages installed.

A third issue, often overlooked by DAZ users, are errors loading morphs. Even DAZ forum mods tell you to ignore them as they are only warnings, but each hit on a broken or missing morph is read at least twice and also recorded in the log file, all of which add time to the loading of morphs. It is amazing to me how many morphs are broken by simple things like spelling errors. It is almost as if DAZ just doesn't check on the assets they sell in their own store.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021

In the meantime ....

View attachment 2377757
There's some good tips in the following video on speeding up your loading times. Morphs are really bad for slowing things down. Whether you use the morphs or not, DAZ has to load them in if they are in any way related to the figure you're loading so be careful on how many you install.

He has good tips in this to help anyhow.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes