3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Made the banner for my game MIND.
View attachment 2398608
Hey,
I usually don't do this unless explicitly asked for but since you want to use this as promotional material I wanted to give you some guidance to help. My critique is on the harsh side unfortunately but well intended. I am not proclaiming to be a professional or a great designer in general. In other words feel free to ignore me but I hope this can help you. It would be a shame if people don't play your game because of a bad banner

What I noticed immediately is that your banner is very cluttered. Nothing really attracts my eye on first glance. There are a few reasons for that:
- There are a lot of characters on screen in random orientations.
- There are at least 6 different zoom levels on the characters.
- The characters are all over the banner but none are guiding my eye to what is important.
- The guy on the right is really large so seems important but The guy on the Left is sort of looking at me so seems important as well.
- there are a lot of semi-transparent characters on this that have an unclear role.

Then there are a few other issues I noticed:
-The dark purple background makes the black of 'Mind' fade into the background.
- The layering is not entirely correct. The half girl should be behind the guy with the glasses. (She is smaller and fades out so is less important apparently.)

Here are a few things you can do to improve your banner:
One would be to go to the f95 latest games page. Which banners attract your attention? Why? What colours do they use? How is the banner laid out? how many characters are there? Where are they on the banner? etc. You could do the same for Itch, steam, GOG etc.
Second is to read about .
Third We people are highly intuitive to the eyes. So if a character looks at us our eye is drawn towards them. If a character looks at another object in your banner our eye will be drawn towards that.
Fourth Why should a character be on your banner? what makes them important enough. If they should be on the banner what is their intention?
Fifth make your banner over the course of a couple of days put it away and look at it with fresh eyes.

Hope this helps and again sorry for being harsh but I think it might help you in the long run.

Nov 9, 2020
Hey,
I usually don't do this unless explicitly asked for but since you want to use this as promotional material I wanted to give you some guidance to help. My critique is on the harsh side unfortunately but well intended. I am not proclaiming to be a professional or a great designer in general. In other words feel free to ignore me but I hope this can help you. It would be a shame if people don't play your game because of a bad banner

What I noticed immediately is that your banner is very cluttered. Nothing really attracts my eye on first glance. There are a few reasons for that:
- There are a lot of characters on screen in random orientations.
- There are at least 6 different zoom levels on the characters.
- The characters are all over the banner but none are guiding my eye to what is important.
- The guy on the right is really large so seems important but The guy on the Left is sort of looking at me so seems important as well.
- there are a lot of semi-transparent characters on this that have an unclear role.

Then there are a few other issues I noticed:
-The dark purple background makes the black of 'Mind' fade into the background.
- The layering is not entirely correct. The half girl should be behind the guy with the glasses. (She is smaller and fades out so is less important apparently.)

Here are a few things you can do to improve your banner:
One would be to go to the f95 latest games page. Which banners attract your attention? Why? What colours do they use? How is the banner laid out? how many characters are there? Where are they on the banner? etc. You could do the same for Itch, steam, GOG etc.
Second is to read about .
Third We people are highly intuitive to the eyes. So if a character looks at us our eye is drawn towards them. If a character looks at another object in your banner our eye will be drawn towards that.
Fourth Why should a character be on your banner? what makes them important enough. If they should be on the banner what is their intention?
Fifth make your banner over the course of a couple of days put it away and look at it with fresh eyes.

Hope this helps and again sorry for being harsh but I think it might help you in the long run.
Thank you. It seems my intent on showing who is important and how much made it through, but was poorly done. I like the clutter, but too many people have been confused by it, so I'm thinking of cutting character count by half. I like the background, so that means I need to change the title to separate it more.

So:
- A disorienting design is a bad idea
- Portraying the importance of every character is too much think about on a banner
- Make the damn title readable
- Look at better examples again and mind the details.

Character designs are one thing, but a logo or banner needs to draw people in, or there's no point. Your critiques were polite and concise(and needed). Thank you.

Reactions: Impious Monk
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes