3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

3DReaver

Formerly 'grohotor'
May 15, 2020
Hi Guys,

please help me. I am rendering a pool scene and the water is very noisy.

View attachment 2692605

The figures and other enviroments looking great at the end of the rendering just the water is noisy. How can I make it smooth without to use denoiser? Thanks.
I think that its highly unlikely that there is something wrong with the rendering settings or with the water shader. Water is costly. I would use spot rendering with denoizer. Trying to limit to only the water and then merge it in photoshop with the main scene. You will need to blend the edges with a mask or you will get a visible seam. I also do this for character faces so I can render it for way more samples without it taking a million years.

Precox

Mar 13, 2019
I think that its highly unlikely that there is something wrong with the rendering settings or with the water shader. Water is costly. I would use spot rendering with denoizer. Trying to limit to only the water and then merge it in photoshop with the main scene. You will need to blend the edges with a mask or you will get a visible seam. I also do this for character faces so I can render it for way more samples without it taking a million years.
Could you expand on that? That sounds really cool!

3DReaver

Formerly 'grohotor'
May 15, 2020
Could you expand on that? That sounds really cool!
Eh i don't know what more i could add.
Some things are noisers than others, some things are more important to the image than others, some things react well to the daz denoizer and others result in visual artifacts. it depends. I do consistently run the faces at a higher sample than the rest of the photo.
1.PNG
the original. the noise is especially bad in the face, the body is acceptable and the background is "clear"
2.PNG
i use spot rendering tool on just the face and its super fast. if you dont blur the edges you might end up with some ugly visual artifacts or straight edges that wont clear up when you denoise the image and do other post processing.
3.PNG
You can see where the original meets the more detailed render but its fine. there wont be much detail in that area and it will clear up in post. you apply this to a new layer so that you keep the original renders in case you need them.
4.PNG
How it looks at the end. You cant see where they meet and this is very zoomed in.

darkside80

Jun 25, 2017
Hi Guys,

View attachment 2692605

The figures and other enviroments looking great at the end of the rendering just the water is noisy. How can I make it smooth without to use denoiser? Thanks.
I think your problem is with the lighting. Depending on the position of your lighting (spotlight, etc.), this can cause grain in the water.

here's a small example, this image was rendered with 500 iterations, one with a spotlight directed towards the water and the other with a hdri source only.

with spotlight
water_spotlight.png

with hdri only
water_hdrionly.png

Precox

Mar 13, 2019
Eh i don't know what more i could add.
Some things are noisers than others, some things are more important to the image than others, some things react well to the daz denoizer and others result in visual artifacts. it depends. I do consistently run the faces at a higher sample than the rest of the photo.
View attachment 2692893
the original. the noise is especially bad in the face, the body is acceptable and the background is "clear"
View attachment 2692894
i use spot rendering tool on just the face and its super fast. if you dont blur the edges you might end up with some ugly visual artifacts or straight edges that wont clear up when you denoise the image and do other post processing.
View attachment 2692895
You can see where the original meets the more detailed render but its fine. there wont be much detail in that area and it will clear up in post. you apply this to a new layer so that you keep the original renders in case you need them.
View attachment 2692897
How it looks at the end. You cant see where they meet and this is very zoomed in.
Thanks for taking the time explaining this.

Aviistic

Apr 16, 2019
Thanks for taking the time explaining this.
Depending on how many light sources you have and how bright they are they add a lot of noise to the image which is percieved as grain. You will either need to tweak light settings or you need more iterations.

mattocean

Oct 8, 2018
I think your problem is with the lighting. Depending on the position of your lighting (spotlight, etc.), this can cause grain in the water.

here's a small example, this image was rendered with 500 iterations, one with a spotlight directed towards the water and the other with a hdri source only.

with spotlight
View attachment 2692919

with hdri only
View attachment 2692922
Thank you. I will try it for sure and I guess you have right with the lighting. (y)

Reactions: darkside80

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
Hi Guys,

View attachment 2692605

Try this one already denoised as .jpg It may do what you want... and may not could try I guess

pool water.jpg

Reactions: mattocean
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes