3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Modelling stuff

View attachment 359189

If somebody tells me where to put the .obj file....
It looks like you figured it out, but just in case ...it doesn't really matter where you put it, as you have to import it to get it in there. You can either 'import' it from the menu, or just drag and drop it from explorer.

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
The downsampling trick is a good one, but what is this nonsense about iterations? Do you actually understand what an iteration in iRay is? That's now how it works at all.

For simple materials and shaders, yes, 100-200 iterations will be good enough, but for complex ones, like glass/high glossiness, transparency and so on, not even close. You need at least 1000 - 2000 iterations to make it look decent.

Of course, if you goal is to have everything in your image look like polished metal/plastic, why even bother using PBR Materials, if you don't care about the final result...
I would suggest that you try the alternative for yourself. Run the same scene for the exact same amount of time for the two methods and compare the result. I have spent a significant amount of time learning DAZ and the principles of lighting and ray tracing. I am trying to share what I have learnt.

As another example, please see below (8k --> 4k) which ran for 50 iterations. It uses a scattering box and DOF. I also tried running this at 1080p and after over 1000 iterations it still looked awful.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

What graphics card do you have?

Don't forget that 200 iterations with low-end card don't give the same result as 200 iterations with high-end card.
Do you really think they change the code / method of doing the ray tracing, dependent upon your graphics card? Having a high end card will merely reduce the time taken to do each iteration.

Larry Kubiac

Feb 4, 2018
Do you really think they change the code / method of doing the ray tracing, dependent upon your graphics card? Having a high end card will merely reduce the time taken to do each iteration.
Yes, there is an aesthetic difference between the rtx 2080 and any other lower-end CG with daz 4.11, but I wouldn't know how to explain it.

DAZ version 4.11 was made for this graphic card, info or intox to you to see.

For my part, 4.11 makes rendering with aliasing.

Reactions: Xavster

hseigin

The Indomitable
Game Developer
May 18, 2019
Since iRay isn't 1/10 as capable as Cycles when it comes to shaders, I had to bake my node setups in Cycles. While baking, I added some 4k surface imperfection textures without costing any amount of ram.

#Ataegina

Here is the revised version of the The Entrance Render. theentrancev2.jpg

Powerbabe

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2018
I would suggest that you try the alternative for yourself. Run the same scene for the exact same amount of time for the two methods and compare the result. I have spent a significant amount of time learning DAZ and the principles of lighting and ray tracing. I am trying to share what I have learnt.
When did I ever imply anything about downsampling or denoiser being a bad thing? I specifically pointed out to you that you do not understand what an iRay iteration is and what function it performs.

I'll repeat myself again. For simple materials and shaders, yes, 100-200 iterations will be good enough, like for example the scene you provided. For a complex scene, that has glass, high glossiness, transparency and many other complex surfaces, you'll need more passes for the scene to look decent even taking into the account the downsampling and the denoiser part.

Powerbabe

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2018
Yes, there is an aesthetic difference between the rtx 2080 and any other lower-end CG with daz 4.11, but I wouldn't know how to explain it.

DAZ version 4.11 was made for this graphic card, info or intox to you to see.

For my part, 4.11 makes rendering with aliasing.
I don't think I fully understand what exactly do you mean by that, but I can assure you that there was never a special version of Daz designed for a specific card in mind. If you are talking about the iRay plugin for Daz, then yes, it works best with NVidia Cards.

Iray is very reliant on CUDA Cores for GPU mode of rendering. So, if you are implying that RTX 2080 will do a better job at rendering then the previous generation of cards, then the answer is yes, because it has more CUDA Cores to help with that.

If you are talking about the "RTX" part of the card for Ray-Traycing Accelerated Applications, it will be up to Daz to implement that for iRay.

Last edited:

Larry Kubiac

Feb 4, 2018
I don't think I fully understand what exactly do you mean by that, but I can assure you that there was never a special version of Daz designed for a specific card in mind. If you are talking about the iRay plugin for Daz, then yes, it works best with NVidia Cards.

Iray is very reliant on CUDA Cores for GPU mode of rendering. So, if you are implying that RTX 2080 will do a better job at rendering then the previous generation of cards, then the answer is yes, because it has more CUDA Cores to help with that.

If you are talking about the "RTX" part of the card for Ray-Traycing Accelerated Applications, it will be up to Daz to implement that for iRay.
Anyway, we polimicked it for hours but the version of daz 4.11 works better on the latest cards for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Powerbabe

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
When did I ever imply anything about downsampling or denoiser being a bad thing? I specifically pointed out to you that you do not understand what an iRay iteration is and what function it performs.

I'll repeat myself again. For simple materials and shaders, yes, 100-200 iterations will be good enough, like for example the scene you provided. For a complex scene, that has glass, high glossiness, transparency and many other complex surfaces, you'll need more passes for the scene to look decent even taking into the account the downsampling and the denoiser part.
The scenes for which I posted are actually highly complicated. The last one in particular, due to the scattering field I placed in the scene. As I suggested before, run the experiment for yourself and make up your own mind. Feel free to post the comparative images, should I be mistaken in my advice.

CulayTL

Sneaky Bastard
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
Testing Black Widow Suit.. ignore the floating zipper
Don't have any Scarlett Johannson body/hair installed..
Maybe some touch on those boots but originally comes only with "expand all" option.

Wanna work on Scarlett now and after that I ll see what I can do with the suit

deebw3.png

May 9, 2018
Testing Black Widow Suit.. ignore the floating zipper
Don't have any Scarlett Johannson body/hair installed..
Maybe some touch on those boots but originally comes only with "expand all" option.

Wanna work on Scarlett now and after that I ll see what I can do with the suit

View attachment 360207
usually if something doesn't work, make it disappear, you could have set the opacity for that zipper to 0 and none would be the wiser. I love the suit though ;)

CulayTL

Sneaky Bastard
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
usually if something doesn't work, make it disappear, you could have set the opacity for that zipper to 0 and none would be the wiser. I love the suit though ;)
I saw the zipper later after the render was done.. miseed that on the viewport.. meh 5 minutes render but that should be my last problem..

Screenshot 2019-08-01 12.33.31.png
Easy Fix.. :ROFLMAO:
I did exagerate with Open 3.. that should open only the chest and torso/belly a bit.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes