3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Straz3D

Jun 16, 2019
Thank you! :D That's new valuable information. Although your postwork certainly enhanced the overall look of the piece, even when I look at your raw render, before any postwork had been done, I can already sense the cinematic vibes I was talking about. It seems to me that how you set up the DOF in that scene helped greatly in achieving that cinematic look. That, combined with your chosen pixel filter radius, I guess. What value did you pick for that parameter in this scene?
My pixel filter is always mitchell on 1.05 no matter what. I wish I could tell you why, but I don't even know what it does, when I started Daz I wanted to what people used for their settings and it seemed that mitchell 1.05 was popular, so much that it never draws any debate. I don't see a lot of difference with anything else, but however it works well for me so I'm not digging into that.
About my DoF managment, I've been told before that I tune the F/stop really low, and indeed, my f/stop is usually very low, on this render it was set a 10, sometimes I tune it even lower. It depends of the scene and how much I wanna show the background, but recently I used higher values still below 20 though.
Also important to note, but I tune the focal lenght over 75mm in most of my renders. I'd say inbetween 75 - 85mm most of the time.

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
My pixel filter is always mitchell on 1.05 no matter what. I wish I could tell you why, but I don't even know what it does, when I started Daz I wanted to what people used for their settings and it seemed that mitchell 1.05 was popular, so much that it never draws any debate. I don't see a lot of difference with anything else, but however it works well for me so I'm not digging into that.
About my DoF managment, I've been told before that I tune the F/stop really low, and indeed, my f/stop is usually very low, on this render it was set a 10, sometimes I tune it even lower. It depends of the scene and how much I wanna show the background, but recently I used higher values still below 20 though.
Also important to note, but I tune the focal lenght over 75mm in most of my renders. I'd say inbetween 75 - 85mm most of the time.
That radius controls the blurriness/sharpness of the output iRay render. The default, 1.50, blurs quite a lot. As you gradually decrease the value, your render will begin to look sharper and sharper. For example, if you want to showcase high resolution textures on a figure, values under 1 are a good choice. As for the different types of pixel filters (gaussian, mitchell...), I don't know much about them either, honestly. But like you, I stick to mitchell because that seems to be what most people prefer for whatever reason(s).

Yeah, an F/Stop of 10 is very low, makes for a very shallow DOF, and your focal length of choice (75-85 mm) helps accentuate the effect. In any case, it clearly works fine in your renders. :)

Thank you for your time. I'll keep looking forward to your renders with interest.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes