3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
Yeah, I just don't care enough about it to put in the work lol
Literally every Software I know, that proclaimed to have a DoF feature, outright sucks at it. Just look at all the fake DoF photos shot with smartphones(especially iPhones). You are right to not care, it just isn't worth it currently. Maybe in 5 or even more realistic 10 years, AI will be good enough to create a decent looking DoF afterwards. Till then it has to be done from the get-go.

Reactions: DoctorPervic

DoctorPervic

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2019
Literally every Software I know, that proclaimed to have a DoF feature, outright sucks at it. Just look at all the fake DoF photos shot with smartphones(especially iPhones). You are right to not care, it just isn't worth it currently. Maybe in 5 or even more realistic 10 years, AI will be good enough to create a decent looking DoF afterwards. Till then it has to be done from the get-go.
I agree 100% Even inside daz I have a hard time getting the correct DOF so I do it mostly inside Photoshop.

Reactions: Techn0magier

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
I can get behind the postwork DoF thing but I haven't had problems inside Daz before. I do approach this out of my experience as a photographer but I feel it's pretty straight forward.
Yes creating it in DAZ is a valid solution, but you will probably agree, that the DAZ DoF (F5,6) is not the same as shooting with full-frame camera and an aperture of F5,6. But it is better than a DoF done in postwork most of the time. The problem behind a DoF algorithm is far from trivial btw.

Willibrordus

Feb 17, 2020
Yes creating it in DAZ is a valid solution, but you will probably agree, that the DAZ DoF (F5,6) is not the same as shooting with full-frame camera and an aperture of F5,6. But it is better than a DoF done in postwork most of the time. The problem behind a DoF algorithm is far from trivial btw.
I don't shoot full frame but it's true that the virtual Daz camera isn't the same as the real deal. I do use DoF on Daz in most of my art but end up at way different F- values than my real world counterpart.
It seems the Daz variant isn't gradual enough so everything that falls outside the focus box seems unsharp too fast on lower values.

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
I don't shoot full frame but it's true that the virtual Daz camera isn't the same as the real deal. I do use DoF on Daz in most of my art but end up at way different F- values than my real world counterpart.
It seems the Daz variant isn't gradual enough so everything that falls outside the focus box seems unsharp too fast on lower values.
Compared to crop sensors like APS-C or my beloved MFT(Olympus shooter here) it is even more true. Their DoF is much deeper than what DAZ produces. The DAZ Iray camera tries to emulate a full-frame sensor, that's why used that for the comparison. But even with that in mind, you will always end with a different aperture than in real life.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes