HTML Deep in Hollywood Inc. [v0.18] [Ulysses Games]

4.10 star(s) 17 Votes

cooldevo

Jan 30, 2021
The idea of the QTE, or even time delayed options, are interesting and not necessarily bad. The implementation is what is critical.

Perhaps there's a balance between a very easily missed QTE and removing them entirely. For me, personally, I found that by the time I read the text on the page the QTE was long gone before I even knew it was there. The only way I found out about it was by seeing it here on the forums and then going back and looking for them. Not sure what a possible tweak might be for this, but as it is it is very dependent on the reader's reading speed. Easiest solution is as you are doing, just removing them.

The same applied with the time delayed options showing up. I had no idea they existed prior to reading it on the forums. Once I've read the page I make an available choice. Never even occurred to me to wait an unknown number of seconds on every page to see if new choices might show up. This is probably slightly easier to tweak. Without a blatant beat you over the head statement, perhaps blending into the text a hint that taking time to think about the options (via her thoughts, or hers/others statements) might be beneficial. In my mind, it's something you'd want to use sparingly or it'd just become frustrating to have to sit on each page waiting. Not sure if that makes sense?

Just my two cents. There are a gazillion games out there that are just basic simple HTML sex-fests. Seeing one that tries to actually build a bit of a story around it, with some additional mechanics, is certainly interesting.

MemesAreLife

Feb 23, 2018
mega download is a trojan

Edit: disregard, some reason my shit went ape shit and flagged the whole download

Last edited:

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Cool... FYI: I'm removing most QTE events and make them clickable for the next update, so I hope the game will run more smooooothly (plus modifying the html won't be necessary! :cool:)
I'm glad you are getting rid of QTE events (sounds like you might keep some, but I'll trust that those are not the kind that reviewers have criticized). But I wonder if you are properly thinking about the player decisions you actually want them to make.

If choices are just going to be "see the H scene" or not see it, players are always going to choose to see the scene, so that choice is meaningless. If the choice is "select between two choices, one that will give the scene and one that won't, but you don't know which is which" then you are just asking the player to be irritated.

Proper choices are tradeoffs, with the costs and benefits of each at least somewhat known (there can be a random element, but not much of one). In this game, for instance, you could make the player manage the stress of the MC. Going undercover is stressful, and doing things that are outside the MC's comfort zone are going to increase her stress. The decision to take a more "colorful" action isn't gated by some number that the player has to reach, but rather by the willingness of the player to take that action and accept the stress costs involved.

Now, the key is that each time the MC does something "colorful," it increases stress, BUT reduces the stress cost to take that action in the future. You can keep the categories of colorful actions like exhibitionism, masochism, etc, but add more options to some of the choices, so that, for instance, an exhibitionist MC can use her willingness to strip down to choose to be colorful in something like 50% of the routine choices (staying more in her comfort zone) while needed to go outside her comfort zone on the other 50%. When stress gets too high, the MC won't be willing to be colorful any more. Stress would be reduced (but not eliminated) by sleeping or taking days off (there coud be options on stress-reducing activities) or maybe temporarily by drinking or taking drugs.

This would give players meaningful choices. Do they want to accept a lot of stress early on get get the MC more comfortable with a variety of colorful actions, or do they want to try to "specialize" and hope that they don't get stuck needed to go way outside the MC comfort zone to accomplish something crucial?

I'd also create, once the game gets into the actual mission, counters for "suspicion" and "mission success" with the impacts on these given in the choice menu. If suspicion gets too high, it's game over (maybe colorfully game over). The player wants to get mission success to 100%.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts on the game, which I have mentioned before has lots of potential. It is imprtant in game design that the designer know just what meaningful decisions the player must make, and how the player knows the costs and benefits of any given decision.

Reactions: JKrieger

Blauz.

Jun 7, 2019
After reading through the comments I would like to react to some points:
- First: thank you for building and posting a game.
That is work and worth respect.
- Second: I like your writing, and the gameflow.
This is an entertaining game in my opinion, and I will happily play any update.
- Third: the game requirements are difficult for me to meet, especially the often mentioned ones.
A walk through would help me.
- Fourth: feedback culture in the f95zone is abominable, arrogant and not acceptable.
If I think that a game needs some or other mechanism, storyline or kink I bloody build a game that caters to my preferences.
I do not fucking insult a game builder instead of thanking the gamebuilder for the game.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I had to cheat to get past that point, but there's really no reward other than another exhib point.

May 8, 2020
After reading through the comments I would like to react to some points:
- First: thank you for building and posting a game.
That is work and worth respect.
- Second: I like your writing, and the gameflow.
This is an entertaining game in my opinion, and I will happily play any update.
- Third: the game requirements are difficult for me to meet, especially the often mentioned ones.
A walk through would help me.
- Fourth: feedback culture in the f95zone is abominable, arrogant and not acceptable.
If I think that a game needs some or other mechanism, storyline or kink I bloody build a game that caters to my preferences.
I do not fucking insult a game builder instead of thanking the gamebuilder for the game.
U write :
C2AA9CA3-7EB5-4363-87DE-B1C5617A5982.gif

Reactions: DracoBorealis

osmcuser132

Modder
Aug 8, 2017
Another option is press F12 to open the developer tools of your browser and use the console.
All stats are located under SugarCube.State.variables.

So put in
SugarCube.State.variables.ex... = 10
and press the run button.
I don't know the exact name of the variable anymore but FF has suggestions and auto-complete using the right-arrow key

Curium255

Dec 5, 2019
Hey whatever i tried i cant get enough ex. point to get this check to pass can someone help me? View attachment 2496123
Your Exhibitionism is high enough for that check (I came here looking for help to get it higher for a check after getting inside which I now see was high enough, but i needed more submission). It is checking both Exhibitionism and Depravity there and saying one or both is too low. Your Depravity is 2 lower than mine, you could have missed 2 places, but my guess is you didn't wait on the woman washing her neighbor's car (you wait twice when it offers to leave and get 2 points).

Last edited:

Blauz.

Jun 7, 2019
the walkthrough helps a lot, really.
or replay instantly: you get to keep your points.
beware going to high because the game will assume that you cheat.

Curium255

Dec 5, 2019
Here's a rough walkthrough
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
In the bar if you go to the toilet and remove your bra before drinking whiskey with the drunk and flashing him you get another Exhibitionism point. You have going to the toilet after flashing the drunk.

joebg

Feb 10, 2020
In the bar if you go to the toilet and remove your bra before drinking whiskey with the drunk and flashing him you get another Exhibitionism point. You have going to the toilet after flashing the drunk.
Good call out. I'll put that in my next attempt.

Reactions: Curium255
4.10 star(s) 17 Votes