Zerorox

Dec 5, 2021
School system: One of the downfalls of a game that has an open "beta" (or whatever you want to call DoL's current status) for many years is that players will obviously experience what already exists the most. Someone who's put a thousand hours into the game will naturally find certain things a lot more annoying and tired than brand new players...such as the school system. This isn't strictly the fault of the content in question nor its general level of quality or implementation, it's just a natural function of having put too many hours into one game, learning all there is to know, and having done it all so many times that it's become rote and stale. Over-consuming something, even something you originally found great, has a tendency of ruining whatever that is for you, which is why I generally recommend people try taking breaks from hobbies when it seems clear and obvious that they need one. Though I guess some people are able to watch shit like The Office a gazillion times and never ever get tired of it no matter what, so maybe this rule is more or less applicable to certain people. Anyways, point is, if the development cycle of your game is going to be five or more years long, it's going to be very tough to always be on top of certain content getting 'old' for your most loyal playerbase, and I'm not exactly sure what you can do about it outside of frequently adding on to or re-doing work you've already done.

Difficulty: I'm in favor of the game getting more difficult generally speaking, though at times I find the monthly payment to Bailey a bit burdensome once its reached its max of 4000. It's not that it's impossible to make that by any means, but rather that it starts funnelling you into certain ways of playing that maybe the player would rather ideally not go down (or at least stick with) if they didn't have to. When something becomes too difficult, it often becomes a game of "what works is not very fun, and what's fun sadly doesn't work". Once you've reached that maximum monthly payment, the player necessarily becomes more constricted and loses a bit of their agency to be able to interact with what they wish to interact with - unless they find a way to break the money system entirely, of course. But some level of challenge is good, so becoming a bazillionaire is not ideal either. It's a tough balance to perfectly strike: I want to struggle, but not so much that I feel like I can't afford the time to do random jobs while wandering the streets between all the different things I'm already supposed to be doing, you know? I don't think there's necessarily any fix for this, pretty much all singleplayer games with some kind of money system are exploited and broken by the player sooner or later, and I don't see DoL being able to magically fix that age-old problem.
Yep, in terms of difficulty it's not really Bailey payments that is problem, you're sayin' max 4k but it's really players choise to Pay for Robin, not mentionin' there is slider we can lower payments to 0% or play like Me with x3 Iron Man Mode with blocked slider with max 12k/week.

I think noone Will disagree it's balance issue, some Jobs are useless with minimal progression, some are overprofitable even without progression.
For example waiter job progression is Just boring (nothing happened, 5 bucks... 5-10 times in raw, meh...) if I've not known it's opening buns makin' job I'd never bothered workin' there.
Barman - pfft, waste of time.
Striptease job gives miserable profit even with max dancing and high allure, useless without prostitution events. (even shitty strip dancers in my poor country get much more money)
Dogs... 5-15/h bruh, used only to lower dogs agression and needs a lot waste of time even for that.
Office - not much useful with low grades/stats, worthless by the time You have high grades/stats
Ask for work in apartments, docker job - same as with office.

Jobs needs more balancing, profit/danger/time consuption/skills :cry:

And Yes, I can agree Bailey's payments progression is unbalanced overall, but it must be changed simulationally with Jobs

Zerorox

Dec 5, 2021
I agree with what you say, however I don't think it applies to school. If we were talking about something like LIs, jobs or locations what you said is true and it can be circumvented by using alternatives since there are plenty of them to choose from. But school is different, it's mandatory and there are no alternatives.

I found the game not too long ago and haven't played that much, there is a lot of content I haven't seen yet but during my first playthrough I found school tedious, repetitive and mostly barren of content. Like some people mentioned before I quickly found myself spamming the same options in quick succession just to get it over with and go find content elsewhere. I can safely say that mine is not a case of burnout, there's a lot for me to see and school is just a hurdle I need to get through.
School is grindy and boring... fuck, that's perhaps most realistic aspect of the game :KEK:

ladguru

Oct 18, 2018
Yep, in terms of difficulty it's not really Bailey payments that is problem, you're sayin' max 4k but it's really players choise to Pay for Robin, not mentionin' there is slider we can lower payments to 0% or play like Me with x3 Iron Man Mode with blocked slider with max 12k/week.

I think noone Will disagree it's balance issue, some Jobs are useless with minimal progression, some are overprofitable even without progression.
Yes of course. But balancing is hard.
Development goes on for some years now. There are additions and contributions at different stages of development.
There are different playing styles, virgin or slut (or even both!!), defiant or submissive, criminal or not, exhibitionist or not, etc.
Yes, some style maybe (or should be?) harder than another, but they should still all end up roughly in the same ballpark.

Getting all this together is really hard. It's much easier to make it worse than make it better.

For example waiter job progression is Just boring (nothing happened, 5 bucks... 5-10 times in raw, meh...) if I've not known it's opening buns makin' job I'd never bothered workin' there.
Barman - pfft, waste of time.
Striptease job gives miserable profit even with max dancing and high allure, useless without prostitution events. (even shitty strip dancers in my poor country get much more money)
Dogs... 5-15/h bruh, used only to lower dogs agression and needs a lot waste of time even for that.
Office - not much useful with low grades/stats, worthless by the time You have high grades/stats
Ask for work in apartments, docker job - same as with office.
Barman? The VIP or "listen" option can be quite profitable, but not very often... It's mostly a pass time to keep the wraith away^^.

Striptease? That's really an easy and reliable source of cash. It's a bit random, I haven't figured out if or how it is controllable. I think my high score is about £800 without "private room". With "private room" and robbing it's almost impossible to leave with <£400 per session. Yeah sometimes you leave with just £50. Still better than nothing.

Dogs and Office? Hmm, that's just some additions. I don't know what to make of it.

Docker? I was here, when it was added. Back then it was a nice pass time for weekends and holidays. If you put enough work into it you can even get a decent amount of cash. But nowadays there is no reason to put that much work into it and there is a lot of other stuff to do on weekends and holidays. Did I mention that balancing is hard? Easy improvement here: lift the restriction and make the job available on all days!

The "knocking at the door" jobs are mostly meant to get some petty cash in the early stages of the game. Everything is fine here, IMHO.

And most of these jobs have the side effect of honing some skills. It's not always about money.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: atur

eddardbolton

Jul 21, 2019
Why does it needs to be "school" anyway? I think "University" sounds better. Just like the "orphanage" - it would be better to completely rename it to "dormitory" and "orphans" to "refugees". Bailey might just send away disobedient ones, back to France or something.

ladguru

Oct 18, 2018
School is grindy and boring... fuck, that's perhaps most realistic aspect of the game :KEK:
Yeah, school was already boring and grindy when I first discovered this game.
It's got better in the meantime. There is now a lot more stuff happening at school.
But still, after reaching A* in all subjects school is getting just a nuisance.

There should be something more, dunno what, maybe employ MC as a kinda substitute teacher after 3 A*?

esoom

Sep 6, 2017
I hope they do sort the balancing issues with jobs out, really all the high paying stuff for someone who has no skills should be highly risky, but as it is now there's no reason not to make cream buns.

Reactions: Zerorox

ladguru

Oct 18, 2018
I hope they do sort the balancing issues with jobs out, really all the high paying stuff for someone who has no skills should be highly risky, but as it is now there's no reason not to make cream buns.
Oh, shut off!
Your are now officially the absolute hero, who broke game without actually playing the game.
Yeah, you broke the game, congratulations, but you will never see any of its contents.
Are you happy now?

Actually you did not break the game. You only found the most dissatisfactifiing way to play it. And now you blame everybody else.
Oh shut off!

EmDotRand

Sep 7, 2020
To this day I have never made a single cream bun because Sam never looks in my direction no mater how many customers I satisfy. That's why I grind out hand skill by handing attackers, massage people for cash, and use the rest of my time finding artifacts and lewding Sydney.

Reactions: Boav_Rum

Catnatic

Nov 25, 2021
Why does it needs to be "school" anyway? I think "University" sounds better. Just like the "orphanage" - it would be better to completely rename it to "dormitory" and "orphans" to "refugees". Bailey might just send away disobedient ones, back to France or something.
Given that the game is moving away from its questionable origins, they might as well embrace that new narrative.
I think I like the idea of that better where the PC is renting for their accommodation to study which is a trap set up by Bailey who has deviant plans for those who couldn't pay up and has no interest in simply evicting them, as opposed to the PC being supposedly a young adult still living in an orphanage and having to pay off their arbitrary debt to Bailey.

Last edited:

Ayymao

May 1, 2021
Oh, shut off!
Your are now officially the absolute hero, who broke game without actually playing the game.
Yeah, you broke the game, congratulations, but you will never see any of its contents.
Are you happy now?

Actually you did not break the game. You only found the most dissatisfactifiing way to play it. And now you blame everybody else.
Oh shut off!
Have you heard of the thing called "game design" that exists to force people to play the game in the most satisfying way? Now you have.

Reactions: erg1986

sparrow_rose

May 5, 2018
You know, for all the dark, submissive, rape, festival that this game is, I'm surprised there's not a Master character. You know, an NPC that wants the MC to be their slave. We've got a sugar parent (Avery), the childhood friend turned lover archetype (Robin), the kidnapper who'd probably also be a serial killer in an even darker game (Eden), the obsessive yandere (Kylar), the sweet but corruptable religious person (Sydney), the doctor with nefarious intentions (Harper), but quite surprisingly no Master.

I'm also surprised that none of these teachers are a love interest. You'd think at least one of them would be someone who'd break the rules and date a student. Especially in this game's messed up town.

If it were up to me to possibly pick a Master character... maybe Winter? I swear they scream closet pervert. Why do they even have a chasity cage? And some of the classroom and museum stuff is super sus. They could double as a teacher love interest. Though, if we were going for a more loveable teacher romance... Mason. Definitely Mason. Mason fits the shy, wholesome, jock archtype, basically a retriever. And if they ain't a virgin I'd be shocked. Also, based on the content available with Mason... I feel like they're supposed to be a love interest anyways? Maybe unfinished.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021
It seems that somewhere in the recent builds my older save files got re-interpreted. I had several save files set right before certain randomized encounters, and those events no longer load or trigger the same way (for example, getting attacked by a bear in the forest). I suspect the update to the rng to fix the blackjack metagame is responsible, but I thought I would put it out there in case it was unintentional.

Completely unrelated, does anyone know how to actually save the settings made in the game's "options" tab (graphics, autosaves, etc)? They apply just fine, but as soon as I load a save they reset to defaults regardless of what they were when I made the save...

Raf-Raf

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 4, 2019
It seems that somewhere in the recent builds my older save files got re-interpreted. I had several save files set right before certain randomized encounters, and those events no longer load or trigger the same way (for example, getting attacked by a bear in the forest). I suspect the update to the rng to fix the blackjack metagame is responsible, but I thought I would put it out there in case it was unintentional.

Completely unrelated, does anyone know how to actually save the settings made in the game's "options" tab (graphics, autosaves, etc)? They apply just fine, but as soon as I load a save they reset to defaults regardless of what they were when I made the save...
Each save has a separate settings saved sadly so you'll have to redo each.
The bear encounter is still there, it's just that RNG is a pain.

whitecode

Nov 1, 2017
Lets be honest here, does our MC look remotely close to 18yr?

RyanCrossby

Jan 13, 2018
Regarding school, I think the content we have right now is good, it just lack some variety. Every day feels same-y and, since we are "forced" to spent six hours there every day for three months at a time, it becomes repetitive pretty quickly. It also leaves little time for other more interesting things to do..

Here are my suggestions:
  • Reduce the number of subjects per day and rotate the schedule each day of the week. This way, each day would be different and skipping a school day would have different consequences
    • Having the option to personalize the schedule, with optional subjects to choose from would be cool, but perhaps a bit out of scope
  • Make less, longer actions per subject, eg: from 3 actions x 0:20 to 2x0:30. This would alleviate a bit the 1-spam fest we have right now
  • Since we would have more free time in the afternoon, I'd add optional homework to do every day. This would give the player more flexibility, as it could choose to ignore homework altogether or focus on a single subject or do each subject homework and try to become a school genius; there should be ideally no best choice, only different play styles
  • Introduce more subjects, this never hurts variety, but I can only imagine the amount of work needed for each ^^'

Reactions: tester72
4.50 star(s) 185 Votes