retardo

Sep 17, 2017
I mean, it's not hard to write more rape scenes, but it's really hard to write all the love interest shit being crammed into the game when the only sex in the game is made for you to be raped, which is why I don't understand the intense focus on it.

Oct 12, 2018
Hope the new combat will fix the weird positioning. Always found it weird Sydney could touch my PP while servicing her at the library desk WHILE she talks to people that come by, like... you got long ass hands lol.

• Haha
Reactions: sergylort
Feb 17, 2023
The issue the game has are simpler than that, which, again, I say as someone who actively wrote some of it: you don't have the liberty you think you do.
There's just a LOT to keep in mind when you write for DOL.

It has to fit the overall narrative (as people have mentioned, this includes that consensual sex is a pretty tough, and dominant sex is basically a no); it has to fit in the world technically (which is something Vrel usually does himself, and is a shitload of work); you have to make sure every possibility is covered (male/female Robin, just to name something, but also m/m mc/robin, m/f, f/f/, f/m, etc.), not to mention herm; you have to make sure you don't write anything that hints at kids (which, to be fair, I' was a huge proponent of, because it's how DOL stays just ambiguous enough); you have to make sure the entire thing doesn't sound disjoint from the other entries of the game; ...

TL;DR most people don't manage more than a few simple scenes. For good reasons. I helped with one of the least visited parts of the game, I'm sure, and whenever I revisit the game I realize just how much effort went to waste there. Talking literal months of effort, for barely any result (which I'm to blame for, I wrote it).

I love Vrel for the effort they've done on DOL but it just feels really stagnate right now. And I truly hope people keep experiencing this game for the first time(s) and loving it, I guess it's just not for me anymore.

AkagiVoid

Feb 12, 2020
Can multiple mods be installed? ?w?
1721672551926.png
Want install "BunnyTF", "Dragon Mod", "Fire", and "DoLPlus". :3

Last edited:

Amhran

Mar 22, 2022
The issue the game has are simpler than that, which, again, I say as someone who actively wrote some of it: you don't have the liberty you think you do.
There's just a LOT to keep in mind when you write for DOL.

It has to fit the overall narrative (as people have mentioned, this includes that consensual sex is a pretty tough, and dominant sex is basically a no); it has to fit in the world technically (which is something Vrel usually does himself, and is a shitload of work); you have to make sure every possibility is covered (male/female Robin, just to name something, but also m/m mc/robin, m/f, f/f/, f/m, etc.), not to mention herm; you have to make sure you don't write anything that hints at kids (which, to be fair, I' was a huge proponent of, because it's how DOL stays just ambiguous enough); you have to make sure the entire thing doesn't sound disjoint from the other entries of the game; ...

TL;DR most people don't manage more than a few simple scenes. For good reasons. I helped with one of the least visited parts of the game, I'm sure, and whenever I revisit the game I realize just how much effort went to waste there. Talking literal months of effort, for barely any result (which I'm to blame for, I wrote it).

I love Vrel for the effort they've done on DOL but it just feels really stagnate right now. And I truly hope people keep experiencing this game for the first time(s) and loving it, I guess it's just not for me anymore.
I've previously made mention of limitations of choice and "player freedom", so it's kind of nice to see someone who did some development on the game kind of back up why there will always be fundamental difficulties with this kind of design philosophy, even if it's from a bit of a different angle. Shit, if I had to try to write scenes and always make them vague enough that it works for all types of characters no matter who/what is involved OR if I had to start writing alternative versions to cover all the different major variations, I'd probably give up pretty damned fast too. It sounds both very obnoxious and limiting, which has to make it frustrating to always work inside that framework.

I think at some point, we have to recognize that any game, even a living and still developing game like DoL, is ultimately still just a game, and every game has its core strengths and weaknesses, and those weaknesses will inevitably start to feel very amplified if you spend enough time ramming your head against them. It'd be nice if we could selectively erase parts of our brains so that we could experience things for the first time again, but we all stop playing what were once our favorite games (and watching our favorite movies, reading our favorite books, listening to our favorite music albums, etc.) eventually...even if we come back to them again years down the line. Too much repetition without new and interesting variations becomes predictable becomes rote and mindless becomes tired and painful becomes existential boredom and terror, it's just how we work. Life would be a lot simpler for everyone if it wasn't, though.

4.50 star(s) 187 Votes