Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Thinking cap dev. Scan the binaries so you know ahead of time if they produce a positive anti-virus result before you ship it. No one thinks you did it on purpose.
And when it produces a false positive because some AV just does that with Renpy games, then what? What exactly do you expect him to do?

Don't know who didn't know how to interpret a result... :rolleyes:

When DMD's launcher trigger generic heuristic/malware alerts from two near-unknown AV engines and a warning from a third, that's a false positive, OK.
When this launcher triggers (now) THIRTEEN (seven yesterday, remember?) engines, including SEVEN major engines, with IDENTIFIED (=named) viruses, that's not a false positive anymore but a real issue, whatever you may say.

And as I said before, never ever a Ren'Py launcher triggered ANY of my AV before. Just this one.
And what about all the ones that say it's clean? If you really never saw this before, you're obviously very new to Renpy. Everyone knows that it tends to produce false positives. And those positives are basically all generics, if you discard the ones that are generic or that don't give specifics that leaves what, two left?

bigtopia

Jul 12, 2018
And when it produces a false positive because some AV just does that with Renpy games, then what? What exactly do you expect him to do?
At a minimum post a warning that the game gets a false positive from a scanner if he has indeed done due diligence to determine there is no exposure.

If he cannot verify the system is exposed, remove unnecessary files - for example, 64 bit clients don't need the 32 bit executable.

Personally, I code my way around false positives to satisfy the scanner, but I get that some solutions are super complicated.

Mr. Harper

Feb 25, 2020
Did the toilet scene come eventually or is it never there?
Never there (skipped), but that event appear in flashback when our MC asked Olivia to be his slave in the cafe...

There should be 4 sex toy scenes with Olivia : Dildo 2 scene (put the dildo from herself and from MC) the same as the butt plug which has 2 scenes
But I didn't get the fourth scene (put the butt plug into her from the MC), and suddenly got straight into the sexy clothes scene

Last edited:

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
And what about all the ones that say it's clean? If you really never saw this before, you're obviously very new to Renpy. Everyone knows that it tends to produce false positives. And those positives are basically all generics, if you discard the ones that are generic or that don't give specifics that leaves what, two left?
You're tiring... 21 engines today (on 69 total engines), BTW, still raising...

The fact that a signature is generic or heuristic is not a proof of a false positive, but that a generic-purpose instructions set were detected WITHOUT the specific signatures attached to a specific virus - forbidding then to identify it clearly. Simple example, NOT related to this particular case: detecting a keylogging code or virus-like encryption code is way enough to trigger a generic warning, especially with unsigned executables, because a normal program do NOT need such features. My own programs, for work, typically triggers a LOT of AV softwares because they access directly to custom hardware... Unless we access it through WinDriver, for example, or other trusted frameworks.

You can safely assume a false positive when only one or two MINOR engines report something generic. You cannot when several MAJOR engines do it, even with generic/heuristic (and worst if named). The fact that other engines do not see it is not a safety proof (you're using here a fallacious argument). The important fact is that several says it's unsafe. What you say is like "if hundred of people do not accuse someone of a crime, he's then innocent despite several trustworthy people says he's a criminal". However, it can be debated when one only UNtrustworthy person make this accusation...

As I said it already, precautionary principle. Nothing more, nothing less.

When a development software produces compiled executables that triggers false positives (or when the runtime does it), it's usually a matter of days before AV engines stop reporting it as infected.

Until then, again, I won't execute it. You do what you want with YOUR data, you're free, but it's irresponsible to encourage newbies to run something that triggered several antivirus softwares, at least until the problem is solved - if it's a real false positive, then AV engines won't detect it anymore soon and/or Ren'Py devs will solve the problem and release a new, safe version.

BTW, two years is a little eternity for softwares... Way enough, in particular with all games using "old" versions of Ren'Py, to see enough versions without ANY AV problems and be suspicious when ONE causes a problem.

• Angry
Reactions: Master of Puppets

danteworks

Developer of Depravity
Game Developer
Dec 3, 2018
Never there (skipped), but that event appear in flashback when our MC asked Olivia to be his slave in the cafe...

There should be 4 sex toy scenes with Olivia : Dildo 2 scene (put the dildo from herself and from MC) the same as the butt plug which has 2 scenes
But I didn't get the fourth scene (put the butt plug into her from the MC), and suddenly got straight into the sexy clothes scene
Check if I'm wrong but I think you can still play the 4tb scene by clicking through the sex toy options once Olivia's entire quest line is finished.

Reactions: Mr. Harper
3.90 star(s) 109 Votes