darylx

Jan 5, 2019
not sure why but trying to open the depravity.exe with the newest release results into a crash every time, I have 64 bit client and tried with the 32 bit exe aswell just in case but same problem, just tried the previous version of the game and did not get this problem and haven't encountered this with any other games before either. Any ideas? Running on w10 and tried running with administrator rights aswell

Makeza

Oct 1, 2020
Damn, game works technically ok but now this game exe gets blocked by Windows Defender by Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml....I hope this is false positive but can anyone else confirm, if I really should keep it quarantined or not? :oops:

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
False positive? Maybe, but there is absolutely NO reason to have this warning.
I got "Trojan:Win32/Woreflint.A!cl" for my part, by Windows Defender (0.59 Hotfix from Mega), on "Depravity-32.exe".

Also, VirusTotal also detected it 7 times... So maybe it's a false positive, but I won't try anyway :

I can admit that a game engine is detected because it uses direct CPU clock access, or assembly, but being flagged while nothing game-related is shown... Abnormal.
Won't execute it until this is fixed, in particular because previous versions did NOT shown this warning (in fact, "Depravity-32.exe" wasn't even existing in previous version!) AND Ren'Py/RPGM games never triggered my antivirus before.
It's only picked up by a handful and half of those are generics - the equivalent of 'I didn't see him actually do anything but he just looks suspicious'. It's well-known that Renpy games trigger false positives in a lot of AV software. Why even submit it to virustotal if you don't know how to read the results?

bigtopia

Jul 12, 2018
anti malware and windows defender are warning me trojan.wacatac.c on game exe as high risk
I got the same issue. Make sure to run a full scan after you quarantine the trojan. I would not touch this game until the dev uploads new safe binaries.

danteworks

Developer of Depravity
Game Developer
Dec 3, 2018
Thinking caps boys. It's a type 1 error, or false positive. There isn't much incentive for me to ship a trojan all of a sudden. I'm 2 years Dev.

However f95 provides the links here, not me. For my links you can visit my patreon where the game is free.

Last edited:

bigtopia

Jul 12, 2018
Thinking caps boys. It's a type 1 error, or false positive. There isn't much incentive for me to ship a trojan all of a sudden. I'm 2 years Dev.

However f95 provides the links here, not me. For my links you can visit my patreon where the game is free.
Thinking cap dev. Scan the binaries so you know ahead of time if they produce a positive anti-virus result before you ship it. No one thinks you did it on purpose.

• Angry
Reactions: Master of Puppets

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
It's only picked up by a handful and half of those are generics - the equivalent of 'I didn't see him actually do anything but he just looks suspicious'. It's well-known that Renpy games trigger false positives in a lot of AV software. Why even submit it to virustotal if you don't know how to read the results?
Don't know who didn't know how to interpret a result... :rolleyes:

When DMD's launcher trigger generic heuristic/malware alerts from two near-unknown AV engines and a warning from a third, that's a false positive, OK.
When this launcher triggers (now) THIRTEEN (seven yesterday, remember?) engines, including SEVEN major engines, with IDENTIFIED (=named) viruses, that's not a false positive anymore but a real issue, whatever you may say.

And as I said before, never ever a Ren'Py launcher triggered ANY of my AV before. Just this one.

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019

I don't even think one second you did it on purpose. But it's abnormal anyway: you should try to recompile it on a clean machine (assuming you have a configuration management to put sources on another machine) and/or fully analyse your own machine with a batch of AV softwares.

A true false positive do not see the number of reporting engines growing, but the opposite. Basic security rule: whatever is not proven safe, including what is unknown, is considered as malicious. Period.

EDIT: Same problem with Patreon's version, BTW.

Last edited:
3.90 star(s) 109 Votes