rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
logotesttransparent.gif
Big thanks to for the new logo!!​

hello!

Previous OP here. Join us on !

Who are we?

We're a team of six people now! On Discord they'll all have the @rpdl.net role. Cake, Devilkin, Volf3n and myself. LoneRanger is on hiatus with IRL, Dax, Rowan and Vision have retired.
I started making these torrents somewhere around September of 2021 and by looking at my post count, can estimate I probably made ~2,000 before we pivoted to private torrents? We've since created a further 28,000+ torrents!

So why should you use our torrents?

We've had a lot of time to tweak and the servers we use to power these torrents. When you download one of our torrents, you'll be connecting to full gigabit servers. No wait times, no bandwidth limits, no throttling, no ads and no redirects or popups. .

At the time of writing, we've completed all games with the "completed" tag, that we know of at least - there's bound to be a few missing. Since ~September of 2021 we've also been keeping up with making torrents for all newly updated games so our coverage for games in development should be pretty thorough. By our estimates we probably have 7 to 10 thousand more to do before we're finished. Our current archive spans 9,142 torrents! ~~January 2023 edit: We probably have 1-2k games left, currently we span over 14,000 torrents~~ Completed. :)

How do we pay for this?

Paying for servers that fit our needs isn't cheap. Generally we need at least gigabit ports and 10tb+ of disk space - currently our archive is 10.6tb 16tb large. Our only source of income is from our users donations, we're 100% crowdfunded and update our funding .

What's the deal with accounts?

There are two main reasons for the accounts.
1) Due to how Bittorrent works, we weren't comfortable with our users (inc F95zone users) getting exposed outside of F95zone.
2) Abuse by third party sites who repeatedly abused our network for their gain - even after being asked to stop.
Registrations are open, you don't need an invite. Nor are there any ratio or Hit-And-Run rules. This allows us to simply revoke the passkey of any account that leaks the torrent file while also helping insulate the people who use our torrents. We use for our torrents, our fork is . We don't store any user-information short of your username and your password which is hashed and salted. There's no email addresses and .

Looking for other ways to help us out?

There's a load of ways, not just financially - we always have a few projects in the works.
  • The most obvious, is notifying us if a torrent is outdated. Likewise, if you know of a game that we don't have, just ask! We have a channel for it on Discord, #housekeeping
  • Lastly, the easiest way is simply seeding the torrents!

Need help with a torrent or have a question?

Feel free to either ask here or in #troubleshooting on !
Quick link to fixing torrents not starting.

Last edited:

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
hello!

Good clients to use:

There are loads of clients to choose from, but before you pick one randomly you should read the following:
Lots of clients will try a bunch of various methods to make money off you when using the client. For example, showing ads or crypto mining. Instead of listing out bad clients, I'll list a few good, clean clients that are 100% open source.

For 99% of cases you're going to be just fine using any of the above clients, they're all super popular, 100% open source and most importantly - safe. They're also multi-platform!
I use utorrent 2.2.1 from 2011, I think I have actually used it since 2011. Whenever I get a new PC or reformat I get it again from old apps.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I use utorrent 2.2.1 from 2011, I think I have actually used it since 2011. Whenever I get a new PC or reformat I get it again from old apps.
Yeah for sure, it's the last version before ads! Only reason I didn't add it to OP was because it's not open source but otherwise, it's a very solid client.

Reactions: Thundas

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Yeah for sure, it's the last version before ads! Only reason I didn't add it to OP was because it's not open source but otherwise, it's a very solid client.
I just went to your site and noticed both of my games, thank you kindly indeed. They are both in my seedbox now :D

Thundas

Donor
Jul 16, 2017
Great initiative, though i have to say that i am from singapore in asia and i can download from nopy at up to 80mb/s so they do have cache servers serving the files for users in asia, been awhile since i used torrents but your speeds are good from my location. Getting about 15mb/s ish.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Alaastor89 and RPDL

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Great initiative, though i have to say that i am from singapore in asia and i can download from nopy at up to 80mb/s so they do have cache servers serving the files for users in asia, been awhile since i used torrents but your speeds are good from my location. Getting about 15mb/s ish.
Ah, yeah. Singapore is tricky because my provider of choice has a fair usage policy in both Singapore & Sydney. Fortunately everywhere else I'm allowed completely throttle the line so it's not an issue.

I think nopy uses the psychz location in Seoul, currently it's a bit outside my budget (lol) but it's definitely on my radar.

Thanks very much for the feedback, I appreciate it!

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
here's a small update for the nerds, one of my nodes is nearing 1tb uploaded in ~5 hours.

Screenshot from 2021-10-16 09-39-18.png

bandwidth is awesome. here's some short tidbits of what we can extract from that:

while this may seem like a lot, this node has only done 1.5% of what nopy does in a day.
it makes a huge difference when the torrent is added to the OP of the thread. previously the torrent that drove the most data was college kings which topped out at around 1tb total. this ones already 5 times more in waaaaaaay less time.
i can definitely push a lot more out of my current setup with better tweaking and automation.

i'm super interested to know what kind of speeds people get in further away areas like south america/africa/NZ/Australia/india.

Thundas

Donor
Jul 16, 2017
I downloaded reunion 18gb and seeded back 1.0 ratio, i cant seed more cause my isp used warn me for using excessive amount of bw. Using f95zone and my other activities, i use like 5-10 tb per month.

• Wow
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: Ripply and RPDL

Ripply

Sep 17, 2017
i'm super interested to know what kind of speeds people get in further away areas like south america/africa/NZ/Australia/india.
I'm in NZ and get anywhere from 600kb/s to 1.2mb/s not the fastest but at least it doesn't cap out like Mega.
Nopy used to be really fast for me and I could get 4mb/s+ then one day it drop to 300kb/s and has stayed there since.
For reference I get 10mb/s+ on steam.

Much appreciated (y)

Reactions: RPDL

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I'm in NZ and get anywhere from 600kb/s to 1.2mb/s not the fastest but at least it doesn't cap out like Mega.
Nopy used to be really fast for me and I could get 4mb/s+ then one day it drop to 300kb/s and has stayed there since.
For reference I get 10mb/s+ on steam.

Much appreciated (y)
thank you! i'll look into getting a sydney node within the coming two weeks, if i remember i might poke you to see how things look afterwards :)

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
hi all, i have a few questions.

i've been dabbling with asking mods to add my torrent to the OP and this has resulted in an explosion of traffic. i'd like to continue doing so but i'm reaching the limits of what my network is capable of so i'd need to get some upgrades in.

on that note, are people happy with the games i'm currently making torrents for or would people rather i just make torrents for ALL renpy games?

i could go balls-to-the-wall but i'd also have to push the patreon a bit more as currently it's running about ~80e a month. like i mentioned in the OP, this is primarily a hobby to me so i don't mind, but i can't really justify spending more (currently).

what do people think? so far i think it's going really good, people appear to be super happy. is there anything you'd like me to change?

edit; some stats - i'm currently serving 382 games that total 780gb. daily bandwidth varies depending on if a big game updates but a conservative average would be about 7-8tb a day.

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
hi all, i have a few questions.

i've been dabbling with asking mods to add my torrent to the OP and this has resulted in an explosion of traffic. i'd like to continue doing so but i'm reaching the limits of what my network is capable of so i'd need to get some upgrades in.

on that note, are people happy with the games i'm currently making torrents for or would people rather i just make torrents for ALL renpy games?
It's hard, and consuming to make torrents for all the games. If you would have team of people working with you, then maybe.
If you have a time, and resources, maybe add few games where developers (or somebody else) started DMCA bombing...
Also, kudos for great job you are doing. :)

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
It's hard, and consuming to make torrents for all the games. If you would have team of people working with you, then maybe.
If you have a time, and resources, maybe add few games where developers (or somebody else) started DMCA bombing...
Also, kudos for great job you are doing. :)
I'm automating more and more of it as I go, for example the downloading (from mega or nopy), renaming, unzipping, converting, rezipping, making the torrent, hashing and distributing the torrent. There is a few parts that I need to do manually though but it's not a dealbreaker.

So far i think there was only one mistake and it was because of me :WutFace:

You've used these forums a lot longer than me, do DMCA problems happen a lot? I don't think I've seen one yet.

Also, thank you for the kind words :D

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
You've used these forums a lot longer than me, do DMCA problems happen a lot? I don't think I've seen one yet.
Not really, I can remember only of few such cases. Echoes of Lust would be most extreme example. But, majority of devs don't really act. (In first place, it's not really clear case from legal standpoint, and on other, they understand that game will get here in one way, and another, so why don't use publicity. Some even make it possible for their games to get here. ;)

Reactions: RPDL