Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
0.9a is out! Uploads and changelog are fixed, aside from the Nopy link which still points to 0.8a, idk how to fix that.

Definitely interested in getting feedback on Maya's sex battle, it's not perfect yet but hopefully an improvement, and will be extended further in future updates now that I have a much stronger framework for it. Expect to see progression and traits targeted at it in the next few updates, I wanted to get feedback first though.

Also, for anyone who hasn't been following the Discord/Patreon: 0.10 will be a major milestone in that it will include the first bit of lewd art! I'll aim for a release on the 15th, but as always, time is an illusion and I suck at dates.

BTW: if you run into an error visiting the Stats page, you can either download this file and overwrite the existing one in the "game" folder, or redownload the game. Either will do. It was a REALLY stupid bug that was 100% my bad.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1172441

Honestly, at the rate you're adding companions, I'm worried that you might be going for breadth over depth. Personally, I'd prefer fewer companions with more detail, than many companions without much going on. Apart from that, loving this so far

Reactions: Nevart and Cryswar

lagaard

Jan 25, 2018
So I decided to give this game a try, after being a bit hesitant for a while. Mostly just wasn't super impressed at the screenshots at first, but... the patch notes mentioning 'sex battle', made me interested, since there isn't a lot of English battlefuck.

I'll admit though, I had more fun then I expected, even if it took a while to find that content. With the lust bar in battle, I thought there might be more of it in normal battles, but it might just be a UI thing.

The writing took a bit for me to get used to, but I got that it's just how the 'canon' character Astaroth is meant to think, and is just different from what I'm used to.

There are certainly a lot of companions, and I was pretty pleasantly surprised that I find myself liking them all, more or less. Which does present an issue in thinking of how I want to use them all, but you only get a single partner at a time. It is not a bad problem to have, but it makes me wish I could bring more of them along! I can't even really say who is my 'favorite' yet, since they all seem fairly interesting and nicely designed.

About the only bit of the tutorial I find a bit... weird, is the actual sex battle. Mainly because its the least introduced, and just kind of arrives. While it has a fairly logical in-game reason to exist, its more just it seems weird the protagonist knows about it, and it never gets brought up. Following normal H-game logic, I just thought the option to say, ask for sex from the slime, was to just get an H-scene!

Speaking of that, she seems to be the only case of permamently missable content I've seen (beyond the tutorial's one-off scenes, as it mentions), since she doesn't seem to be interactable at the Camp and thus you can only do her sex battle once... unless it just shows up much later, as I only hit the third area.

Combat isn't bad, but this River Slimes can be super annoying as you can get stuck in very long healing spam circles. It may have been better if I played warrior or spellsword, not sure...

Reactions: Nevart and Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Honestly, at the rate you're adding companions, I'm worried that you might be going for breadth over depth. Personally, I'd prefer fewer companions with more detail, than many companions without much going on. Apart from that, loving this so far
I've done plenty of large-scale writing before but never in the framework of a game/harem. So I'll freely admit that there is a very real chance I'll fuck up along the way.

That said, so far existing characters have been getting scenes pretty regularly and I absolutely have a LOT more development planned for them. We'll see as we go into the future how new characters are handled, there are plenty you'll run into that won't join you but can still be lewded. Ex. Badon will have a brothel with a number of one-shot monstergirls to bang without them joining you, and the mountain areas will have some waifus, but some lewdable characters that are happy living there and won't leave.

Finding a good balance between those to portray the depth of the characters I want to develop, while still having a much wider variety of bangable girls to appeal to a wide variety of fetishes and preferences, is a tightrope I will have to walk while listening closely to feedback on to see if people feel a character is getting ignored or forgotten and try to balance things out.

So I decided to give this game a try, after being a bit hesitant for a while. Mostly just wasn't super impressed at the screenshots at first, but... the patch notes mentioning 'sex battle', made me interested, since there isn't a lot of English battlefuck.

I'll admit though, I had more fun then I expected, even if it took a while to find that content. With the lust bar in battle, I thought there might be more of it in normal battles, but it might just be a UI thing.

The writing took a bit for me to get used to, but I got that it's just how the 'canon' character Astaroth is meant to think, and is just different from what I'm used to.

There are certainly a lot of companions, and I was pretty pleasantly surprised that I find myself liking them all, more or less. Which does present an issue in thinking of how I want to use them all, but you only get a single partner at a time. It is not a bad problem to have, but it makes me wish I could bring more of them along! I can't even really say who is my 'favorite' yet, since they all seem fairly interesting and nicely designed.

About the only bit of the tutorial I find a bit... weird, is the actual sex battle. Mainly because its the least introduced, and just kind of arrives. While it has a fairly logical in-game reason to exist, its more just it seems weird the protagonist knows about it, and it never gets brought up. Following normal H-game logic, I just thought the option to say, ask for sex from the slime, was to just get an H-scene!

Speaking of that, she seems to be the only case of permamently missable content I've seen (beyond the tutorial's one-off scenes, as it mentions), since she doesn't seem to be interactable at the Camp and thus you can only do her sex battle once... unless it just shows up much later, as I only hit the third area.

Combat isn't bad, but this River Slimes can be super annoying as you can get stuck in very long healing spam circles. It may have been better if I played warrior or spellsword, not sure...
Screenshots are in desperate need of being completely redone, especially as art starts showing up. You're 100% right on that lol.

Glad you liked the characters, they're definitely intended to be the main draw.

MC did assume they were just going to fuck, Aspasia being a weirdo took that as 'oh it's sex battle time!' Sex battles are generally KNOWN in setting, but not really common in Hieroneiden since a lot of the more conservative/church elements view it as savagery barely above bestiality.

BTW, sex battles just got a major rework for the newest character (Maya), Aspasia's isn't repeatable yet since I wanted to get feedback on the new one before updating hers to be more varied.

That said, Aspasia will get a repeatable sex battle within a month almost for sure, so don't worry about permanently missable stuff like that. This 2-week update schedule has its strengths, but also leads to me having to prioritize things more harshly at times. The plan is to get her basic convos done next update and sex battle the next.

River Slimes are obnoxious little shits for sure. I'm not sure yet if that's a good thing or a bad one. I might remove the heal spell, the regen is perfect on them though.

---

Thank you both very much for the frank feedback, constructive criticism is incredibly helpful! I definitely appreciate concerns being brought up, it helps me see what I'm missing.

Reactions: Nevart
D

Deleted member 1172441

I've done plenty of large-scale writing before but never in the framework of a game/harem. So I'll freely admit that there is a very real chance I'll fuck up along the way.

That said, so far existing characters have been getting scenes pretty regularly and I absolutely have a LOT more development planned for them. We'll see as we go into the future how new characters are handled, there are plenty you'll run into that won't join you but can still be lewded. Ex. Badon will have a brothel with a number of one-shot monstergirls to bang without them joining you, and the mountain areas will have some waifus, but some lewdable characters that are happy living there and won't leave.

Finding a good balance between those to portray the depth of the characters I want to develop, while still having a much wider variety of bangable girls to appeal to a wide variety of fetishes and preferences, is a tightrope I will have to walk while listening closely to feedback on to see if people feel a character is getting ignored or forgotten and try to balance things out.
Don't worry about it, my own writing encounters the exact same problem with larger casts. Although, I do seem to get around it by not writing people. You're showing a great deal of care in this game, so good on ya for recognizing potential flaws and what you want to develop.

Reactions: Cryswar

lagaard

Jan 25, 2018
Screenshots are in desperate need of being completely redone, especially as art starts showing up. You're 100% right on that lol.

Glad you liked the characters, they're definitely intended to be the main draw.

MC did assume they were just going to fuck, Aspasia being a weirdo took that as 'oh it's sex battle time!' Sex battles are generally KNOWN in setting, but not really common in Hieroneiden since a lot of the more conservative/church elements view it as savagery barely above bestiality.

BTW, sex battles just got a major rework for the newest character (Maya), Aspasia's isn't repeatable yet since I wanted to get feedback on the new one before updating hers to be more varied.

That said, Aspasia will get a repeatable sex battle within a month almost for sure, so don't worry about permanently missable stuff like that. This 2-week update schedule has its strengths, but also leads to me having to prioritize things more harshly at times. The plan is to get her basic convos done next update and sex battle the next.

River Slimes are obnoxious little shits for sure. I'm not sure yet if that's a good thing or a bad one. I might remove the heal spell, the regen is perfect on them though.
Curious to see how the art will turn out, its always interesting to see how one's own mental image matches up with the 'intended' look.

And ah that's fair, its just a little nitpick since that tutorial just kind of comes out of the blue. I suppose given Hieroneiden's history, it makes sense its kind of weird. I can't think of an 'easy' way to weave it into the proper tutorial, particularly as the introduction is already somewhat lengthy (for these kind of games), and doesn't really have a natural breathing point to slide it in. Especially as none of the initial companions are demihumans.

Out of curiousity, what kind of reworks? From my brief playing around, they seem, functional. I did notice some weirdness in the positions though. They seem to work, but the text sometimes doesn't seem to match the position being taken. Its also worth noting that, due to the tutorial popping up, you can't actually 'see' Maya's personality traits before you actually take an action, as the mouseover text won't show up.

And that's understandable. She talks about all this alchemy she brings to the table, but seems that (the skill aside) she's not doing much right now!

I'd suggest they either lose it, get a weaker one, or have a cooldown. Since you don't have complete control over your partner (which I think is fine), you can get into really drawn out battles, where everyone is just constantly healing for more then anyone can damage. Until their random move choices decide to stop healing long enough for one of them to die. Fighting two of the Slimes at once is potentially, super tedious, especially when you can't flee from an encounter or something.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Out of curiousity, what kind of reworks? From my brief playing around, they seem, functional. I did notice some weirdness in the positions though. They seem to work, but the text sometimes doesn't seem to match the position being taken. Its also worth noting that, due to the tutorial popping up, you can't actually 'see' Maya's personality traits before you actually take an action, as the mouseover text won't show up.

I'd suggest they either lose it, get a weaker one, or have a cooldown. Since you don't have complete control over your partner (which I think is fine), you can get into really drawn out battles, where everyone is just constantly healing for more then anyone can damage. Until their random move choices decide to stop healing long enough for one of them to die. Fighting two of the Slimes at once is potentially, super tedious, especially when you can't flee from an encounter or something.
I updated enough of her stuff that Aspasia's battle (shouldn't) crash, but tl;dr the backend coding was heavily reworked, Aspasia doesn't have any of the in-battle dialogue lines Maya does, she has maybe half the general action/reaction lines, and she doesn't have lines for various events that Maya does. I don't think she even has any visible personality traits currently? Not sure. The updated UI/controls replaced the old stuff and should work fine in Aspasia battle though.

Yeah, I'll mess with the slimes a bit. The new Target skill with your AI in Attack stance should help at force-focusing one of the slimes down, but it can be a lot of healing.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
So my game crashed and then the application have been deleted??
I've never heard of that happening. Somehow It removed the entire folder? All I can think is that maybe it triggered some kind of antivirus, but I thought renpy fixed that bug an update or two ago.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
0.9a is out! Uploads and changelog are fixed, aside from the Nopy link which still points to 0.8a, idk how to fix that.

Definitely interested in getting feedback on Maya's sex battle, it's not perfect yet but hopefully an improvement, and will be extended further in future updates now that I have a much stronger framework for it. Expect to see progression and traits targeted at it in the next few updates, I wanted to get feedback first though.

Also, for anyone who hasn't been following the Discord/Patreon: 0.10 will be a major milestone in that it will include the first bit of lewd art! I'll aim for a release on the 15th, but as always, time is an illusion and I suck at dates.

BTW: if you run into an error visiting the Stats page, you can either download this file and overwrite the existing one in the "game" folder, or redownload the game. Either will do. It was a REALLY stupid bug that was 100% my bad.
If have no invitation yourself to upload to Nopy you could ask the staff of this site for that or you can report the OP with report button. Choose other option and mention you uploaded new version but could not update the Nopy version and an uploader from this site will do it for you.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
If have no invitation yourself to upload to Nopy you could ask the staff of this site for that or you can report the OP with report button. Choose other option and mention you uploaded new version but could not update the Nopy version and an uploader from this site will do it for you.
I did, that link didn't get updated. Do you think doing it again would help? I heard that staff aren't fond of multi-reporting updates and I don't want to cause them unnecessary trouble.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I did, that link didn't get updated. Do you think doing it again would help? I heard that staff aren't fond of multi-reporting updates and I don't want to cause them unnecessary trouble.
Wait a day or so and then ask again very politely

Potoum

Apr 28, 2018
ok so I won't report(OP) then... I'd the same problem...
Saw the game appear in latest update, D/L it and ... wait it's the same v0.8a. Only MEGA is v0.9a.
OP page still show game version v0.8a but the thread(http) is v0.9a.

Also I'm not 'fluent' in mathematics but v0.8a to v0.09a is strange??? Getting ready for v0.10 I see. ;)

Last edited:

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
ok so I won't report(OP) then... I'd the same problem...
Saw the game appear in latest update, D/L it and ... wait it's the same v0.8a. Only MEGA is v0.9a.
OP page still show game version v0.8a but the thread(http) is v0.9a.

Also I'm not 'fluent' in mathematics but v0.8a to v0.09a is strange??? Getting ready for v0.10 I see. ;)
Mega, drive, and anonfile should all be correct, it's just the nopy that I can't update myself.

Reactions: Potoum

M404T1N

Nov 10, 2017
If I could make a suggestion, I think that Sam should be changed into a Longsword character, with STR + VIT + AGI as his/her stats.

It seems more fitting (to me) for their character considering that they are supposed to be a simple minded block head that they would only know how to hit things very hard. If you introduce some type of blunt/heavy weapon like a hammer or axe into the game later this would be even better.

Last edited:

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
If I could make a suggestion, I think that Sam should be changed into a Longsword character, with STR + VIT + AGI as his/her stats.

It seems more fitting (to me) for their character considering that they are supposed to be a simple minded block head that they would only know how to hit things very hard. If you introduce some type of blunt/heavy weapon like a hammer or axe into the game later this would be even better.
I don't think Agility makes much sense for them, and them actually being talented with fire magic despite being kind of a dumbass is a character point. Water is getting a major update in 0.10 (many new spells across hydromancy/cryomancy disciplines), and hopefully 0.11 will do the same for fire to give Sam access to some more fitting spells.

They already have a longsword though, the idea is that they just mix the longsword's aggression+damage with fire's aggression+damage.

That all said, Sam isn't actually braindead; they can be surprisingly clever at times, they just don't do well at deep thinking. I feel like longsword+fire fits them pretty well, it's very much brute force but has some surprising depth to it, much like (hopefully) Sam does in general.

Now if we were talking about characters that deserve a stat rework, I'd submit Ashley... but that's a bit further away lol.

Greathammers/axes will HOPEFULLY show up in Badon alongside other new equips, no promises about what specifically will appear there though.

Reactions: Nevart

M404T1N

Nov 10, 2017
I don't think Agility makes much sense for them, and them actually being talented with fire magic despite being kind of a dumbass is a character point. Water is getting a major update in 0.10 (many new spells across hydromancy/cryomancy disciplines), and hopefully 0.11 will do the same for fire to give Sam access to some more fitting spells.

They already have a longsword though, the idea is that they just mix the longsword's aggression+damage with fire's aggression+damage.

That all said, Sam isn't actually braindead; they can be surprisingly clever at times, they just don't do well at deep thinking. I feel like longsword+fire fits them pretty well, it's very much brute force but has some surprising depth to it, much like (hopefully) Sam does in general.

Now if we were talking about characters that deserve a stat rework, I'd submit Ashley... but that's a bit further away lol.

Greathammers/axes will HOPEFULLY show up in Badon alongside other new equips, no promises about what specifically will appear there though.
That sounds fine to me too.

I do have some other things I'd like to bring up actually. Slimes should have an elemental weakness to compensate for their extremely high regeneration and defenses. Lightning is usually their weakness thematically, so you could give them a weakness to wind elemental damage, perhaps something like 25% increased wind damage taken.

Another suggestion I would like to make would be to allow spellswords to choose their weapon type at the beginning of the game, the same way that they can choose their element. This would mean that elemental attack skills like searing blade (70% STR + 70% MAG as fire damage) would need to be changed so that they scale with Dex if you choose a Dex weapon like spear or dagger. This would allow you to use a spear or a dagger as a spellsword without any downsides.

Sword and shield skill line needs a buff. It currently has no options for dealing with groups of enemies. I think the best way to buff it would be to add a retaliation effect to the taunt skill, where you do a STR weapon attack against every enemy that attacks you until the skill ends. Thematically speaking, I would also like if sword and shield skills scaled with Vitality somehow. For example, shield charge could give you 15% Vitality as defense instead of +8 defense. Puncture could reduce the enemy vitality by 100% of your own vitality. Taunt could give 200% or 300% of your vitality as threat. Power Bash could get an additional 25% of your vitality as physical damage scaling.

Vitality and agility are definitely overpowered right now, because there's no way to counter their damage reduction.

Agility should be a 40% of your agility chance to dodge attacks completely, i.e. with 50 agility you would have 12.5% chance. the reason why this is a nerf is because Agility is currently a massive reduction to the amount of status effects you take. You have a 50% chance to avoid a status effect.

Vitality should just give max hp instead of reducing damage taken. This would make it have good synergy with % based healing but not with all healing, and would also make "vitality reduction" debuffs mean a bit more, since it will mean that you will always have an effect of hp reduction rather than only being usable against high vitality enemies.

One other thing, it seems to me like Insight was meant to be a stat intended as a "general damage" stat, that would work with all builds. There are a few traits in it which only apply to spells though, deconstruction and voidtouched. I would suggest changing these to make them work with weapon abilities too.

Last edited:

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
That sounds fine to me too.

I do have some other things I'd like to bring up actually. Slimes should have an elemental weakness to compensate for their extremely high regeneration and defenses. Lightning is usually their weakness thematically, so you could give them a weakness to wind elemental damage, perhaps something like 25% increased wind damage taken.

Another suggestion I would like to make would be to allow spellswords to choose their weapon type at the beginning of the game, the same way that they can choose their element. This would mean that elemental attack skills like searing blade (70% STR + 70% MAG as fire damage) would need to be changed so that they scale with Dex if you choose a Dex weapon like spear or dagger. This would allow you to use a spear or a dagger as a spellsword without any downsides.

Sword and shield skill line needs a buff. It currently has no options for dealing with groups of enemies. I think the best way to buff it would be to add a retaliation effect to the taunt skill, where you do a STR weapon attack against every enemy that attacks you until the skill ends. Thematically speaking, I would also like if sword and shield skills scaled with Vitality somehow. For example, shield charge could give you 15% Vitality as defense instead of +8 defense. Puncture could reduce the enemy vitality by 100% of your own vitality. Taunt could give 200% or 300% of your vitality as threat. Power Bash could get an additional 25% of your vitality as physical damage scaling.

Vitality and agility are definitely overpowered right now, because there's no way to counter their damage reduction.

Agility should be a 40% of your agility chance to dodge attacks completely, i.e. with 50 agility you would have 12.5% chance. the reason why this is a nerf is because Agility is currently a massive reduction to the amount of status effects you take. You have a 50% chance to avoid a status effect.

Vitality should just give max hp instead of reducing damage taken. This would make it have good synergy with % based healing but not with all healing, and would also make "vitality reduction" debuffs mean a bit more, since it will mean that you will always have an effect of hp reduction rather than only being usable against high vitality enemies.

One other thing, it seems to me like Insight was meant to be a stat intended as a "general damage" stat, that would work with all builds. There are a few traits in it which only apply to spells though, deconstruction and voidtouched. I would suggest changing these to make them work with weapon abilities too.
Right now elemental weaknesses don't exist. They are planned, though.

Spellsword options will definitely be improved in the future.

Sword and Shield is actually pretty strong right now, especially with masteries you can just get a pretty chunky permanent DEF buff up while attacking, and when equipment gets stats soon(tm) it'll have even more benefits. Lacking AOE is very much intended, they'll get SOME options down the road but they are absolutely not supposed to compete with spear, longsword, etc. in AOE and never will. Some of those ideas are definitely feasible, others would be difficult/impossible without a fair amount of work.

Mitigation and Glancing Hit can both be countered by mitigation piercing and accuracy, not every weapon/magic type is great at it but it does exist and as I continue to update elements/weapons more options will exist.

Agility just got reworked a week ago, balance is definitely on the table, updating it to that form is not. Vitality I'm pretty happy with at 30% so that's probably not going to change either.

There will be more insight traits in the future, those specific ones are very focused on spells flavor-wise so making them universal wouldn't really make sense.

4.50 star(s) 37 Votes