M404T1N

Nov 10, 2017
Agility just got reworked a week ago, balance is definitely on the table, updating it to that form is not. Vitality I'm pretty happy with at 30% so that's probably not going to change either.
Maybe for agility you can make it have 3 possibilities instead. 60% chance for a full hit, 30% for a glancing hit (50% damage reduction, all status effects still applied), and 10% chance for a dodge (100% damage reduction, status effects not applied).

This way the overall damage reduction is the same as before (25% damage reduction on average) but it doesn't protect you as much from status effects and is less reliable.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Maybe for agility you can make it have 3 possibilities instead. 60% chance for a full hit, 30% for a glancing hit (50% damage reduction, all status effects still applied), and 10% chance for a dodge (100% damage reduction, status effects not applied).

This way the overall damage reduction is the same as before (25% damage reduction on average) but it doesn't protect you as much from status effects and is less reliable.
Something like that is definitely a possibility! I was tentatively planning on having glancing hits and full evasion already, could definitely split off status dodge to evasion only. No promises as to exactly when though, got a lot of stuff to do over the next few updates so idk when that might happen.

It's not ingame yet, but the tentative plan was;

Glancing hit - current mechanic (maybe losing status dodge)
Evasion - mostly granted from traits/some abilities, if you roll well enough on the glance RNG you get a full evade instead, which nulls all damage (and possibly statuses)

So for example, 50% glance with a 10% evade trait might end up being 10% evade, 40% glance instead of 10/50.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
0.10 is released, and we now officially have art in the game! Only one so far, but gotta start somewhere lol.

Changelog;
  • Celica's water training parts 2 and 3 are done, culminating in the ability to unlock Water magic. Also showcases her character pretty significantly.
  • Water magic as a whole is now better differentiated between its component schools of Hydromancy and Cryomancy, with multiple new spells for both schools!
  • Maya now has Trust and Affection scenes, which cover a little bit of why she's here and what the fuck a yamabiko is. Her camp sex battle shouldn't mess up the HP display and will restore health afterward on win or loss.
  • Sarah got a new nighttime sex scene, requiring 4 affection. Probably the longest scene I've written yet, with a few pieces of art to go with it.
This is the first time I've commissioned art or try to get it ingame, so I welcome feedback, but pls be gentle with my ass LOL.

Hard to say what speed we'll get art from here. The Patreon is doing well enough that I think I can do one a month going forward, and hopefully more in the future.

Depending on the feedback on this one and how things go, art speed is likely to lag behind text scene speed for some time, everything from cost to artist availability to commission turnaround time can affect it. My hope is that over time I can get art for most/all H scenes, as well as (duh) 'normal' character art as well.

If you don't care about water magic, that's fine, other elements will get fleshed out similarly in the future! Fire is probably the next one, but I have plans for all of them.

str8up

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2020
wondering if its possible if ya can make a very detailed chart of all the different spells and abilities and stats,etc
make it in large print ...ingame theres sort of a chart there yeah BUT by god its next to impossible to read
not sure how to explain it BUT similar to like a read me file BUT instead have a fair sized text so that its readable without eyestrain
and explain what everything is (spells...stats...abilities..traits,etc)explained in detail what they all do,etc
thanks for your time

Nevart

May 4, 2020
Small Bug Report:

The -Frozen Armor- skill only lets you choose enemies and not yourself, but still works as intended.

Maya now has Trust and Affection scenes
Uff, that was fast. Poor Aspasia.

You really gonna make me regret not taking her with me, huh.

Celica's water training
was also nicely written.

Oh boy, our dear Sam must really feel conflicted right now... He was learning Aether magic, just, like yesterday... and now he is doing Water? What's next? F-Fire?!

Now if we were talking about characters that deserve a stat rework, I'd submit Ashley...
I'll second that. I was able to see every loss scene without much trouble, - just not her's. Actually, I haven't seen her scene at all. She is the only character that is literally unable to kill/defeat me. ...My health regeneration heals more than she can dish out... (Not counting crits) I still had full HP after 200+ turns. Those Libido points really hit her hard.

This is the first time I've commissioned art or try to get it ingame, so I welcome feedback, but pls be gentle with my ass LOL.
NICE ART BRO!

Anyways, congrats on reaching your first (small) milestone, Cryswar! Here's to many more.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Small Bug Report:

The -Frozen Armor- skill only lets you choose enemies and not yourself, but still works as intended.

Uff, that was fast. Poor Aspasia.

You really gonna make me regret not taking her with me, huh.

was also nicely written.

Oh boy, our dear Sam must really feel conflicted right now... He was learning Aether magic, just, like yesterday... and now he is doing Water? What's next? F-Fire?!

I'll second that. I was able to see every loss scene without much trouble, - just not her's. Actually, I haven't seen her scene at all. She is the only character that is literally unable to kill/defeat me. ...My health regeneration heals more than she can dish out... (Not counting crits) I still had full HP after 200+ turns. Those Libido points really hit her hard.

NICE ART BRO!

Anyways, congrats on reaching your first (small) milestone, Cryswar! Here's to many more.
FA fixed, that was 100% my bad.

Aspasia gets her scenes in 0.11, cross my heart and hope to die. I have it planned out, just ran out of time in 0.10 and Maya is REALLY easy to write.

Sam will probably be the next trainer, I'm sure that will go perfectly!

Ashley definitely has a lot coming, both battle and character. She was supposed to have more crippling debuffs, but Confusion is... kinda garbage... and the libido stuff didn't work out. So I'm gonna fast track some of her stuff and revamp her stuff in the nether training update (MAYBE 0.11, otherwise 0.12).

Glad you like the art! I was really happy with it, here's to a lot more.

And thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: Nevart

str8up

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2020
AND THEN THIS HAPPENED
```
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/dawncode/adventures/adventure_framework.rpy", line 54, in script call
call adventure_randomizer
File "game/dawncode/adventures/adventure_framework.rpy", line 82, in script call
$ renpy.call(renpy.random.choice(areaDictionary[adventure_current_ID]["discoveries"]))
File "game/dawncode/areas/arden_forest_outskirts/discoveries/arden_outskirts_discovery_1.rpy", line 3, in script
"You know better than to completely let your guard down, but staying on edge all the time probably isn't healthy, and it seems like a waste to completely ignore the atmosphere, so you strike up a conversation with [partner.name]."
AttributeError: 'unicode' object has no attribute 'name'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/dawncode/adventures/adventure_framework.rpy", line 54, in script call
File "game/dawncode/adventures/adventure_framework.rpy", line 82, in script call
$ renpy.call(renpy.random.choice(areaDictionary[adventure_current_ID]["discoveries"]))
File "game/dawncode/areas/arden_forest_outskirts/discoveries/arden_outskirts_discovery_1.rpy", line 3, in script
"You know better than to completely let your guard down, but staying on edge all the time probably isn't healthy, and it seems like a waste to completely ignore the atmosphere, so you strike up a conversation with [partner.name]."
File "renpy/ast.py", line 715, in execute
renpy.exports.say(who, what, *args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/exports.py", line 1393, in say
who(what, *args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/character.py", line 1190, in __call__
what = what_pattern.replace("[what]", sub(what, translate=True))
File "renpy/character.py", line 1179, in sub
return renpy.substitutions.substitute(s, scope=scope, force=force, translate=translate)[0]
File "renpy/substitutions.py", line 270, in substitute
s = formatter.vformat(s, (), kwargs)
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 563, in vformat
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 585, in _vformat
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 652, in get_field

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Divine Dawn 0.10
Wed Jun 16 02:13:36 2021
```

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
AND THEN THIS HAPPENED
```
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/ast.py", line 715, in execute
renpy.exports.say(who, what, *args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/exports.py", line 1393, in say
who(what, *args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/character.py", line 1190, in __call__
what = what_pattern.replace("[what]", sub(what, translate=True))
File "renpy/character.py", line 1179, in sub
return renpy.substitutions.substitute(s, scope=scope, force=force, translate=translate)[0]
File "renpy/substitutions.py", line 270, in substitute
s = formatter.vformat(s, (), kwargs)
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 563, in vformat
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 585, in _vformat
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 652, in get_field

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Divine Dawn 0.10
Wed Jun 16 02:13:36 2021
```
Will fix that, in the meantime I suggest bringing a partner with you to avoid any possible bugs of that flavor.

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
It might be a good idea to add something like a decreased chance to get stunned if the character has spent the previous turn(s) stunned or something like what monster girl dreams does with the immunity to stun for a couple turns after 'waking' from one.

Also, what in the goddamn is a yamabiko?

Additionally, in the headpat scene(of course I chose that, I love dogs), it states that Maya presses 'itself' against the player. While I am familiar with your use of themself, this is new(and technically objectification).

P.s. I can appreciate giving players another way of fighting but the sex battles, when I've seen them, have been side options. Why would someone spec towards libido when there are two stats that reduce damge taken, one stat for physical damage, one stat for magic damage, one stat for overcoming enemy defense, one stat for health and one stat for cooldown reduction? Wouldn't it make more sense for there to be either an exploration mode more focused on libido use or a way for libido to be used in regular combat.
It also just comes acros(to me) as a little strange that these girls just agree to sex like that(moreso for Maya whose confidence seems quite shell like) in this relatively 'sane' world. To reuse an example, Lucidia in monstergirl dreams is a perverted world where monstergirls regularly consume semen for nutrition/power and where the land was cursed to only allow combat of the sexual variety. In this world(the divine dawn one) I don't see any in universe reason as to why fights are sometimes performed in sex competitions.

Seperately, do buffs from different sources not stack? I used Taunt alpha and defensive strike alpha and it only counted the +8 from def. strike, at a duration of 3 turns like taunt. Subpsequent uses of def, strike also pushed it back up to 3 turns, but only if it followed a taunt.

And I noticed that, after beating the shit out of Maya in the field(during the event where you can repeat the first meeting event with no new dialogue for repeat options), she was left with but one singular point of health for the rest of the exploration. While I understand why you might want to have the chance to see the other events(even though you can battle her normally in sparring and fuck battle in the camp if you visit her) it seems a bit unnescessarily punishing to leave the player with one party member on one health and the other, possibly, on very low health in the middle of an exploration.

Subsequently(does that count as a reuse?), after winning a spar with Maya, she states that she knew there was a reason she 'kept us up around here.', I don't think up really fits in there.

Furthermore, if agility only gives a glancing hit chance if equal to your level, won't that make it near useless as a secondary stat for characters that don't use the agility skills? Maybe it could affect your initiative, though I'm not sure that would work with the current initiative system, or maybe it could just be combined with dex and instead ad a luck stat to govern the crit rate with the chance of glancing being also being given to this new stat. The glancing being dependent on your level to stat relation has also made levelling up a danger for agility based characters who want to spent their points personally as the level up will cause their 50% chance will drop to 0%. The same can also be said for vitality and its mitigation effect, though it would seem obvious that it could just give a health boost dependent on its level.
I would also just in general dicourage using(too many) stat equal to level bonuses as, with the current static 3 stat points per level, it makes it all the more clear that the player should just focus on two or three stats and, with the auto spent thing, it makes levelling up a lot more of a cookie clicker-esque 'oh number go up' thing rather than atleast thinking about spreading stats out. Currently this problem seems like it is most present for agility weapon users, just do agility and vitality and just like that the only choice you have is dex for crits or insight for dr mitigation.

By the way, in the 2 affection scene with maya, after patting her head, it states 'the rough texture contrasted against the wonderfully soft texture of her floppy ears' but the sentence leaves what is roughly textured somewhat vague, I assume it is the players hand but I can't be certaing from the sentence as it includes no indication of what, it also contains no reference to a thing. (I.E. 'It's rough texture', 'the/your hands rought texture')

By the by(bit lazy, I know), we're gonna meet and then fuck Amaterasu and/or Tiamat, aren't we?

Superceding that(if that even means what I think it does), in Celica's first training event, after she tells the player to take a seat so they can begin, it says 'now that she used to be'. I believe it should be than not that.
The first line she says after that is 'I think we should start from the basics.' from what I can remember the expression went start with the basics not from.
In the same text box she says 'It's important to cultivate a holistic understanding of the element to attune to it. For all ellements, especially for water.' I feel the sentence would flow better as 'of an element to attune to it. even more/moreso for water' or 'of the elements to attune to them. even more/moreso for water'. I feel this makes the sentence flow better than with the clunky addendum of 'for all elements'.
The following text box also contains 'melts into flowing prose', I'll admit, I had to look that one up but from what I found the words 'flowing' and 'melts' seems a little out of place here. Btw, the description I found put prose as ' written or spoken language in its ordinary form, without metrical structure' in the used form and ' talk tediously' when used as a verb.
It also states that she goes into an academic form of speech and she then immediately calls something horseshit. I realize it might just be that you want her to sound at least a bit laid back but after saying how she starts talking in a 'prose' tone it feels a little disjointed.

This doesn't count as a seperate topic, it's just paragraphing for readability.
In the horseshit sentence she keeps using ', or' which is not only non-academic, it's also grammatically incorrect. Either use comma's for all but the last option or use or for all of them.(atleast grammatically, acamically I would suggest to give one example of the emotions and one example of the priciples, no more than that)
You could also just combine the first two sentences of this text box into 'First of all(could be shortened to first), water isn't *example* or *example*' the last sentences could also be turned into 'It doesn't care about(or cares not for) any emotion or morality, It simply is and does as it is commanded to' I am adding the commanded to thing before fully reading this scene, just fyi. I left out the case in point as, having read ahead slightly for once, she just goes on explaining without ever giving a demonstration.
Two textboxes later she says 'Like Air, it shares motion', I think you mean has not shares.
Also it seems kind of hypocritical to say that water doesn't represent a feeling/emotion/principle and call all of that horseshit, to then say water and air represent wisdom and intelligence, respectively.
The part where Celica says 'You have to comprehend all of the parts of the whole as connected, understood not as much on their own merits as by what they form together.' I would suggest instead putting it as 'You have to comprehend not just these ideas but how they interconnect to make something greater than the sum of its parts.' It is also followed by 'It is not just raindrops and feelings' which feels like it could use and 'about'.
You should probably also finish the analogy at the end of the presceding textbox by naming the whole they could form I.E. a bridge(a stone one at least) or a castle/house.

I know this is quite a lot of critique but you decided to go for an academic tone and I just so happen to like pretending to be smart by reading academic stuff.
Technically, if it is indeed a cycle, one would expect it to 'flow' from one idea to another, not to embody it all at the same time like a pool.
In the last line of that textbox it seems kind of unnescessary to add 'the mage' instead of just 'the one/person'. This is very much just an argument stemming from my own writing style, moreso than the other ones I mean.
In the next textbox you seem to have missed a capitalization on the first water as it seems to refer to the element not the liquid.
In the same textbox you put 'strategic scale magic' not only is this a concept that is unlikely to exist in a medeival inspired world, it's also not something that has the same meaning for everyone and is likely to leave some people confused. While I get that it sounds lamer, just saying large scale or perhaps city scale might make it easier to understand for a broader audience.
Also I don't get the waves example at the end there, isn't a tsunami already just a large wave?
You used two technicals to describe the explanation, I suggest using a synonym. It also doesn't sound very technical to use 'horseshit', yes I've really internalized that one.

Yet again(Oh, I should use that later!), it's almost like I'm nitpicking and longwinded, doesn't it?
In the follow up after the choice and the choice-specific dialogue, you use a comma before and after a 'but', if you want to emphasize a word, especially just after a comma, just use italics.
The textbox where it uses that also ends with a 'yeah?' and given the whole 'technical' thing, it might be better to use 'alright'.
The next textbox where she's explaing things, she suddenly uses 'Water-elemental magic', isn't it just water magic? The elemental part feels a bit clunky and unnescessary.
In the same textbox she also says 'the specifics are, well, up for some debate', personally, I think 'kind of up for debate' sounds better as it doesn't mess with the figure of speech.
She also later corrects herself from swearing by correcting 'smug fucking cu-' to 'ivorytower intellectuals', further showing that the horseshit is out of place.
You also use the dubble comma thing multiple more times, from that I summarize that it is indeed to emphasize and that's fine, it just looks really weird with but as it is used to start a new (sub?)sentence so at first glance the sentence looks like it's over before it even starts.
In the bit where she explains why she came along, other than discovering the arcane secrets, it would probably help to put empasize on 'you' in the line 'That Sam didn't get you in trouble, I mean.'
It also looks weird that she says 'she's free to get into whatever trouble they want in her own damn time.', I know what has been said previously about the use of they and her/him throughout the game/story but it just looks like you're talking about two different people if you use both in the same sentence. I just noticed I wrote she's instead of she in the quote and would like to say that it is actually more grammatically correct like that.
Just as an aside, do you write lines first with Sam as male or as female? Or do you just use they/them until you until specifically adjusting thing for that variable?

I'm not adding another paragraph so I'll read throught the other trainings with her later.
You use 'morass' in one of the internal dialogue textboxes(have I used that word enough yet?), the use here is perfectly fine, I just had no idea it was even a word in English. It's also a strategic-scale type critique as it's use is quite uncommon and, as you haven't used bog or swamp or mire or whatever else yet, it might be easier for a reader to use one of those instead.
In the same textbox you also use 'but almost as if...' and I would suggest adding a comma after the but, I know it goes against what I said previously but that's the difference in our writing styles right there.
You also reuse 'strategic-scale', see previous remark about that but if I mention it again I can make it more likely that when(/if) you decide to change it, you'll remember to change it there too. In a two birds one stone pun.
After changing topic, Celica says 'Rrrrright. So... similar etc.', seems like it should be more of a comma sized pause rather than a triple elipses one.
Some pretty nice lore talk after that, in my opinion, though the PC does say 'Don't wait for some good news. Make it.', the 'some' seems a little weird here. You could also make the period in between into a period, but that is some real nitpicking right there.
After that Celica(who I keep wanting to call Celice) says(?) 'water magic' whitout a capital W. Also she says 'To truly learn magic, you have to reach it's source.', feels like it could do with a 'type of' in front of magic possibly combined with the word elemental.
During the wrap up, after the internal monologue, Celica says 'after a point lecturing is useless, and you need...', I would put a certain before point and a comma and is incorrect.
After a cat pun: looking like the cat that got the cream, another comma or is used in the same inner textbox.
It also finishes of by informing the reader to come back in 0.10, a bit late for that.

And I'd just like to add after this long of a ramble, I comment like this because I want this game to improve because I like it so far. If I didn't care about this project I'd just scoff at my screen when something was of rather than comment(usually with suggestion).

Last edited:

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
It might be a good idea to add something like a decreased chance to get stunned if the character has spent the previous turn(s) stunned or something like what monster girl dreams does with the immunity to stun for a couple turns after 'waking' from one.

Also, what in the goddamn is a yamabiko?

Additionally, in the headpat scene(of course I chose that, I love dogs), it states that Maya presses 'itself' against the player. While I am familiar with your use of themself, this is new(and technically objectification).

P.s. I can appreciate giving players another way of fighting but the sex battles, when I've seen them, have been side options. Why would someone spec towards libido when there are two stats that reduce damge taken, one stat for physical damage, one stat for magic damage, one stat for overcoming enemy defense, one stat for health and one stat for cooldown reduction? Wouldn't it make more sense for there to be either an exploration mode more focused on libido use or a way for libido to be used in regular combat.
It also just comes acros(to me) as a little strange that these girls just agree to sex like that(moreso for Maya whose confidence seems quite shell like) in this relatively 'sane' world. To reuse an example, Lucidia in monstergirl dreams is a perverted world where monstergirls regularly consume semen for nutrition/power and where the land was cursed to only allow combat of the sexual variety. In this world(the divine dawn one) I don't see any in universe reason as to why fights are sometimes performed in sex competitions.

Seperately, do buffs from different sources not stack? I used Taunt alpha and defensive strike alpha and it only counted the +8 from def. strike, at a duration of 3 turns like taunt. Subpsequent uses of def, strike also pushed it back up to 3 turns, but only if it followed a taunt.

And I noticed that, after beating the shit out of Maya in the field(during the event where you can repeat the first meeting event with no new dialogue for repeat options), she was left with but one singular point of health for the rest of the exploration. While I understand why you might want to have the chance to see the other events(even though you can battle her normally in sparring and fuck battle in the camp if you visit her) it seems a bit unnescessarily punishing to leave the player with one party member on one health and the other, possibly, on very low health in the middle of an exploration.

Subsequently(does that count as a reuse?), after winning a spar with Maya, she states that she knew there was a reason she 'kept us up around here.', I don't think up really fits in there.

Furthermore, if agility only gives a glancing hit chance if equal to your level, won't that make it near useless as a secondary stat for characters that don't use the agility skills? Maybe it could affect your initiative, though I'm not sure that would work with the current initiative system, or maybe it could just be combined with dex and instead ad a luck stat to govern the crit rate with the chance of glancing being also being given to this new stat. The glancing being dependent on your level to stat relation has also made levelling up a danger for agility based characters who want to spent their points personally as the level up will cause their 50% chance will drop to 0%. The same can also be said for vitality and its mitigation effect, though it would seem obvious that it could just give a health boost dependent on its level.
I would also just in general dicourage using(too many) stat equal to level bonuses as, with the current static 3 stat points per level, it makes it all the more clear that the player should just focus on two or three stats and, with the auto spent thing, it makes levelling up a lot more of a cookie clicker-esque 'oh number go up' thing rather than atleast thinking about spreading stats out. Currently this problem seems like it is most present for agility weapon users, just do agility and vitality and just like that the only choice you have is dex for crits or insight for dr mitigation.

By the way, in the 2 affection scene with maya, after patting her head, it states 'the rough texture contrasted against the wonderfully soft texture of her floppy ears' but the sentence leaves what is roughly textured somewhat vague, I assume it is the players hand but I can't be certaing from the sentence as it includes no indication of what, it also contains no reference to a thing. (I.E. 'It's rough texture', 'the/your hands rought texture')

By the by(bit lazy, I know), we're gonna meet and then fuck Amaterasu and/or Tiamat, aren't we?

Superceding that(if that even means what I think it does), in Celica's first training event, after she tells the player to take a seat so they can begin, it says 'now that she used to be'. I believe it should be than not that.
The first line she says after that is 'I think we should start from the basics.' from what I can remember the expression went start with the basics not from.
In the same text box she says 'It's important to cultivate a holistic understanding of the element to attune to it. For all ellements, especially for water.' I feel the sentence would flow better as 'of an element to attune to it. even more/moreso for water' or 'of the elements to attune to them. even more/moreso for water'. I feel this makes the sentence flow better than with the clunky addendum of 'for all elements'.
The following text box also contains 'melts into flowing prose', I'll admit, I had to look that one up but from what I found the words 'flowing' and 'melts' seems a little out of place here. Btw, the description I found put prose as ' written or spoken language in its ordinary form, without metrical structure' in the used form and ' talk tediously' when used as a verb.
It also states that she goes into an academic form of speech and she then immediately calls something horseshit. I realize it might just be that you want her to sound at least a bit laid back but after saying how she starts talking in a 'prose' tone it feels a little disjointed.

This doesn't count as a seperate topic, it's just paragraphing for readability.
In the horseshit sentence she keeps using ', or' which is not only non-academic, it's also grammatically incorrect. Either use comma's for all but the last option or use or for all of them.(atleast grammatically, acamically I would suggest to give one example of the emotions and one example of the priciples, no more than that)
You could also just combine the first two sentences of this text box into 'First of all(could be shortened to first), water isn't *example* or *example*' the last sentences could also be turned into 'It doesn't care about(or cares not for) any emotion or morality, It simply is and does as it is commanded to' I am adding the commanded to thing before fully reading this scene, just fyi. I left out the case in point as, having read ahead slightly for once, she just goes on explaining without ever giving a demonstration.
Two textboxes later she says 'Like Air, it shares motion', I think you mean has not shares.
Also it seems kind of hypocritical to say that water doesn't represent a feeling/emotion/principle and call all of that horseshit, to then say water and air represent wisdom and intelligence, respectively.
The part where Celica says 'You have to comprehend all of the parts of the whole as connected, understood not as much on their own merits as by what they form together.' I would suggest instead putting it as 'You have to comprehend not just these ideas but how they interconnect to make something greater than the sum of its parts.' It is also followed by 'It is not just raindrops and feelings' which feels like it could use and 'about'.
You should probably also finish the analogy at the end of the presceding textbox by naming the whole they could form I.E. a bridge(a stone one at least) or a castle/house.

I know this is quite a lot of critique but you decided to go for an academic tone and I just so happen to like pretending to be smart by reading academic stuff.
Technically, if it is indeed a cycle, one would expect it to 'flow' from one idea to another, not to embody it all at the same time like a pool.
In the last line of that textbox it seems kind of unnescessary to add 'the mage' instead of just 'the one/person'. This is very much just an argument stemming from my own writing style, moreso than the other ones I mean.
In the next textbox you seem to have missed a capitalization on the first water as it seems to refer to the element not the liquid.
In the same textbox you put 'strategic scale magic' not only is this a concept that is unlikely to exist in a medeival inspired world, it's also not something that has the same meaning for everyone and is likely to leave some people confused. While I get that it sounds lamer, just saying large scale or perhaps city scale might make it easier to understand for a broader audience.
Also I don't get the waves example at the end there, isn't a tsunami already just a large wave?
You used two technicals to describe the explanation, I suggest using a synonym. It also doesn't sound very technical to use 'horseshit', yes I've really internalized that one.

Yet again(Oh, I should use that later!), it's almost like I'm nitpicking and longwinded, doesn't it?
In the follow up after the choice and the choice-specific dialogue, you use a comma before and after a 'but', if you want to emphasize a word, especially just after a comma, just use italics.
The textbox where it uses that also ends with a 'yeah?' and given the whole 'technical' thing, it might be better to use 'alright'.
The next textbox where she's explaing things, she suddenly uses 'Water-elemental magic', isn't it just water magic? The elemental part feels a bit clunky and unnescessary.
In the same textbox she also says 'the specifics are, well, up for some debate', personally, I think 'kind of up for debate' sounds better as it doesn't mess with the figure of speech.
She also later corrects herself from swearing by correcting 'smug fucking cu-' to 'ivorytower intellectuals', further showing that the horseshit is out of place.
You also use the dubble comma thing multiple more times, from that I summarize that it is indeed to emphasize and that's fine, it just looks really weird with but as it is used to start a new (sub?)sentence so at first glance the sentence looks like it's over before it even starts.
In the bit where she explains why she came along, other than discovering the arcane secrets, it would probably help to put empasize on 'you' in the line 'That Sam didn't get you in trouble, I mean.'
It also looks weird that she says 'she's free to get into whatever trouble they want in her own damn time.', I know what has been said previously about the use of they and her/him throughout the game/story but it just looks like you're talking about two different people if you use both in the same sentence. I just noticed I wrote she's instead of she in the quote and would like to say that it is actually more grammatically correct like that.
Just as an aside, do you write lines first with Sam as male or as female? Or do you just use they/them until you until specifically adjusting thing for that variable?

I'm not adding another paragraph so I'll read throught the other trainings with her later.
You use 'morass' in one of the internal dialogue textboxes(have I used that word enough yet?), the use here is perfectly fine, I just had no idea it was even a word in English. It's also a strategic-scale type critique as it's use is quite uncommon and, as you haven't used bog or swamp or mire or whatever else yet, it might be easier for a reader to use one of those instead.
In the same textbox you also use 'but almost as if...' and I would suggest adding a comma after the but, I know it goes against what I said previously but that's the difference in our writing styles right there.
You also reuse 'strategic-scale', see previous remark about that but if I mention it again I can make it more likely that when(/if) you decide to change it, you'll remember to change it there too. In a two birds one stone pun.
There aren't any scaling resistances right now, it's maybe doable tho?

Yamabiko is explained in one of Maya's camp scenes, you're not really supposed to know what it is initially hence why it comes up so early there.

Libido is getting reworked. The sex battle tutorial explains sex battles a little, it's a beastkin cultural phenomenon of competitive sex that has slowly been bleeding into other cultures over time as well. Aspasia and Maya are both demihumans so it's not that surprising for them to agree to it, Ashley and Sarah probably would, Sam/Celica/Metatron would need a lot more convincing.

Buffs take the highest value, but stack the duration. It works on most buffs, if it's not working on threat specifically I can doublecheck it.

The post-Maya health thing should have been fixed in 0.10, it restores 50% health to party at the end of the event. Is that a 0.09 report or still an issue in 0.10?

Vit/Agi still give a portion of their benefit if lower than the level, just not the full benefit. If it's half your level, you get half of the 50% (so 25%). It's not an all-or-nothing proposition.

Texture thing was missing a mention of hair ya.

Amaterasu and Tiamat will show up eventually, what you pursue with them is up to you.

Melting into flowing prose is very specific wording, I talk about how harsh/technical her speech is previously, so it's meant to give the impression of something like a glacier melting into flowing water.

Celica swearing in the middle of being sciencey makes sense for her, but I could move that academic line beneath that line since after it she switches to being more technical.

Celica is not an entirely unbiased observer if you hadn't noticed, but she only said that water doesn't represent "feeling, or emotion, or purity, or innocence." Wisdom is none of those things, and she doesn't think of herself as especially wise anyways, she's just giving examples of how the elements are believed to represent different things.

"When you're manipulating water magic, it's not raindrops and good vibes." is used specifically for the act of manipulating water, she's saying that you're not manipulating those two specifically.

Strategic-scale magic is absolutely a thing, I'm kinda surprised you would think it wouldn't be. It's a different world that has had thousands of years of magic theory development, experience with dragons and angels and other creatures capable of using magic on that scale, and the Hieroneiden army is the premiere human force in the setting that is capable of using it.

In some ways the world was more advanced than modern earth before the massive economic collapse at the end of the war. They're not idiots, and it's not solely a generic fantasy world that never develops for some reason, more of a dark ages/postapocalyptic scenario.

There are sizes of waves other than tsunami, and Celica is using them as two different examples of scale. REALLY large scale strategic magic like tsunamis is almost a category of its own, but even smaller scale waves or terraforming can still qualify.

The "well" is there to showcase her pause and break in speech, I'm pretty happy with it.

I don't really see what your obsession with 'horseshit' is. Celica can be very crass, she tries to keep herself in line to some degree with the worst of it so she manages to stop herself from calling them cunts, but she's pretty bad at filtering herself and that's been clear from the start.

For Sam's gender, I have a bunch of variables I define when you pick their gender, like SamHeShe, and use those to do the rest of the work for me. For example, in that message you mentioned, [SamHeShe!c] picks he or she based on their gender and then capitalizes it, while [SamHisHer] does his or her.

There is a massive swamp in southern Arden, mentioned during the hob meeting scene I believe. I can switch morass to something easier to read, though, it wasn't an especially important word choice.

Hey, no spoiling Maya's official art!

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
There aren't any scaling resistances right now, it's maybe doable tho?

Yamabiko is explained in one of Maya's camp scenes, you're not really supposed to know what it is initially hence why it comes up so early there.

Libido is getting reworked. The sex battle tutorial explains sex battles a little, it's a beastkin cultural phenomenon of competitive sex that has slowly been bleeding into other cultures over time as well. Aspasia and Maya are both demihumans so it's not that surprising for them to agree to it, Ashley and Sarah probably would, Sam/Celica/Metatron would need a lot more convincing.

Buffs take the highest value, but stack the duration. It works on most buffs, if it's not working on threat specifically I can doublecheck it.

The post-Maya health thing should have been fixed in 0.10, it restores 50% health to party at the end of the event. Is that a 0.09 report or still an issue in 0.10?

Vit/Agi still give a portion of their benefit if lower than the level, just not the full benefit. If it's half your level, you get half of the 50% (so 25%). It's not an all-or-nothing proposition.

Texture thing was missing a mention of hair ya.

Amaterasu and Tiamat will show up eventually, what you pursue with them is up to you.

Melting into flowing prose is very specific wording, I talk about how harsh/technical her speech is previously, so it's meant to give the impression of something like a glacier melting into flowing water.

Celica swearing in the middle of being sciencey makes sense for her, but I could move that academic line beneath that line since after it she switches to being more technical.

Celica is not an entirely unbiased observer if you hadn't noticed, but she only said that water doesn't represent "feeling, or emotion, or purity, or innocence." Wisdom is none of those things, and she doesn't think of herself as especially wise anyways, she's just giving examples of how the elements are believed to represent different things.

"When you're manipulating water magic, it's not raindrops and good vibes." is used specifically for the act of manipulating water, she's saying that you're not manipulating those two specifically.

Strategic-scale magic is absolutely a thing, I'm kinda surprised you would think it wouldn't be. It's a different world that has had thousands of years of magic theory development, experience with dragons and angels and other creatures capable of using magic on that scale, and the Hieroneiden army is the premiere human force in the setting that is capable of using it.

In some ways the world was more advanced than modern earth before the massive economic collapse at the end of the war. They're not idiots, and it's not solely a generic fantasy world that never develops for some reason, more of a dark ages/postapocalyptic scenario.

There are sizes of waves other than tsunami, and Celica is using them as two different examples of scale. REALLY large scale strategic magic like tsunamis is almost a category of its own, but even smaller scale waves or terraforming can still qualify.

The "well" is there to showcase her pause and break in speech, I'm pretty happy with it.

I don't really see what your obsession with 'horseshit' is. Celica can be very crass, she tries to keep herself in line to some degree with the worst of it so she manages to stop herself from calling them cunts, but she's pretty bad at filtering herself and that's been clear from the start.

For Sam's gender, I have a bunch of variables I define when you pick their gender, like SamHeShe, and use those to do the rest of the work for me. For example, in that message you mentioned, [SamHeShe!c] picks he or she based on their gender and then capitalizes it, while [SamHisHer] does his or her.

There is a massive swamp in southern Arden, mentioned during the hob meeting scene I believe. I can switch morass to something easier to read, though, it wasn't an especially important word choice.

Hey, no spoiling Maya's official art!
I only have one thing to give threat, just a bit suprised that you could just get a long burn buff and up it to the strength of a one turn one(potentially).

The Maya thing was from the nopy version downloaded earlier today, the file claims to be 0.10.

With the 50% to 25%, I don't remember seeing that anywhere. The level downgrade thing I mentioned should still be a thing though both a lot less severe and a lot less noticeable.

The flowing thing makes sense then, probably wouldn't even have noticed if I didn't look up the definition.

Also with the whole technical/academic thing, I haven't played since you uploaded 0.8 so I kind of forgot most of her personality besides the stereotype of nerdy mage and that she might have been a cat, so that one is on me.

In regards to the feelings and wisdom 'argument', it mostly stems from my understanding of the explanation previously being that elemental magic is more objective or 'scientific' so the wisdom thing came kind of out of the left field due to said thinking.
Also, on a nitpicky note that is genuinely not to argue further about this, wisdom can be an embodied trait like what the angels have.

I did not mean that that scale of magic would not be a thing just that the term(in the real world being a relatively new military term) would likely not exist. It was a dumb argument on the level of 'in that kind of world women wouldn't get to be adventurers' or such horseshit. I was mainly justifying my critique of it's by the potential lack of understanding as it is not that common in everyday speech.
On the tech thing, I in no way meant to imply that they were dumb(as someone quite engaged with history the assumption that a low 'tech level' means that people are or were dumb is somewhat absurd) I only meant that in such a world(like in medieval Europe) they likely wouldn't have the technology to neccesitate the 'invention' of such a word. Once again, it wasn't supposed to be the main argument in that remark anyways.

With the waves vs tsunami, I mostly meant that it, because both sizes could be put under the name 'wave', it sounds a little weird. If you use a different size of wave(or a more specific term for the size you had in mind), it might be a little clearer.

I mentioned earlier in this response that I had somewhat forgotten her personality beyond the most basic of basics, I therefore was going mostly off of the use of discriptors that, to me, implied the formality generally found in academic papers rather than just someone who knows what they're talking about going in detail.

Interesting that you automated that with Sam's gender, probably a lot easier than going through pages of text with cntrl f.

Morass mainly got to me because I know that in multiple other languages, there are words quite similar as the main word used to describe swamps. This led me to genuinely wonder if you might have accidently used a word from whatever your native tongue might be. I don't mean to imply that you write like a non-native speaker, just that the use of that word, specifically, did.

I'm also assuming that whatever you don't mention you just didn't have anything to say about, similar to what I am doing in this reply and I guess technically also what I was doing in the original comment.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Magic is a great equalizer; IRL arguments about physical abilities can be somewhat handwaved when fSam can probably Falcon Punch someone hard enough they explode, and Celica is a phenomenal mage for how young she is. To say nothing about angels that can singlehandedly lifewipe countries overnight.

I'm obviously no Clausewitz or Thucydides, but they exist in the setting, and 'civilization' in various forms has existed for a few thousand years. While development of some things has lagged behind modernity (personal firearms are a local curio using firedust, a bit like a budget version of RWBY Dust), others have surged beyond; before the collapse at the end of the War in Heaven, the Dolmen Gates and transferrence circles I've namedropped a few times were large-scale teleportation magic, while tactical and strategic magic were both used militarily (primarily by Hieroneiden and Bariura) for stuff like terraforming fortresses rapidly or wiping out opposing forces, and magitechnology was beginning to develop at a rapid pace, albeit one that has been crippled ever since.

Celica is very well read and intelligent, and Hieroneiden is the only country on the continent that has humans making use of that scale of magic still, so it's not unthinkable that the two of them would have heard about it - but neither is an expert on it or has seen it in action.

Yeah, I took some of your proofreading comments to heart and changed the listed issues, others I didn't really have much to say about. It's kinda hard on my hands to wall-of-text debates here.

Thanks for the feedback overall.

4.50 star(s) 37 Votes