juanito

Jun 19, 2017
Anyway, after it opened I clicked very fast ahead, fought some fights, chose some choices, and found no errors.

Reactions: Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
It wasn't opening. Line 19 on startupFunction.rpy was throwing an error and wasn't finding the directory. I feel some shame because I'm not good at this and I'm sure there's a better way, but I got it to work with this:
Python:
    if "game" not in os.getcwd():
        os.chdir(os.path.dirname(__file__))
        os.chdir("../game")
First it changes the current directory to …etc…/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/
Then it changes the directory to the game directory, up (.. that-is autorun) and down (/game).
I have no idea why os.path.dirname(__file__) is behaving like that since, as far as I can tell, it has nothing to to with the autorun/renpy/ directory.

Also, it's been a long time since I last had cheerios.
Shit dude, that's better than I could manage right now lol. No shame. I know very little about file systems, it took hours to get my garbage ass code to find and change the working directory right, since for whatever reason renpy development and compiled game use different cwds in the game's folders. And I knew NOTHING about mac file systems either, so it's good to know that it's not a -huge- change needed.

Now I just need to figure out if there's a way to check if it's running mac and run your altered code without needing to make two actually different projects... I really didn't expect to learn about filesystems when making this game, lol. Not looking forward to making it work on Android either.

And I see you saw that comment, hehe.

Thank you for trying that out! I'll try and have a functional mac version for the next major content release using what I learned here.

Sep 20, 2019
Hmm. I'm running the game in Windows 10 so that shouldn't be an issue. Only thing I can think of is maybe try a very simple file path (like, C:\DivineDawn-0.1-pc) to see if any of the spaces or periods in your folder path are causing the issue?

I'll ask around and see if anyone in the renpy help discord has ideas, maybe there's something I can improve.
I can give that a try if i want to, if not, then i will try one of the other download links like Google Drive or something, if that does not work, then maybe there are files mission or something for the game when downloading it?

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
Are we ever going to see Sam (and their inconsistent pronouns) again, preferably before the climax.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Are we ever going to see Sam (and their inconsistent pronouns) again, preferably before the climax.
What do you mean by inconsistent pronouns? If you pick female, mentions of her SHOULD change to female pronouns - please let me know if I messed any up!

To answer your question, Sam will be a permanent partner option again after you clear the temple, which will be in the next update. Depending on if you picked male or female Sam, they will be the gateway to some MMF content or a romance option, but the temporary separation is part of the plot and Sam's personal storyline as well so you had to be separated from them for a bit.

I enjoy how both scenes give me my Ashley smug content.
Fortunately there is no shortage of Ashley smugging to come! I'm (pleasantly) surprised how popular she seems to be so far, I was worried she'd come off as just annoying.

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
What do you mean by inconsistent pronouns? If you pick female, mentions of her SHOULD change to female pronouns - please let me know if I messed any up!

To answer your question, Sam will be a permanent partner option again after you clear the temple, which will be in the next update. Depending on if you picked male or female Sam, they will be the gateway to some MMF content or a romance option down the road, but the temporary separation is part of the plot and Sam's personal storyline as well so you had to be separated from them for a bit.
In a lot of the dialogue after you pick the gender for Sam it keeps using they/them an she/her or he/him interchangebly wich(to me) feels very jarring as, in my experience, usage of they/them gets fazed out almost entirely once the gender of the character is known. Also it feels like an oversight/lazy writing because we got to pick their gender but it still uses the non-specific pronoun.

zeraligator

May 25, 2018

To answer your question, Sam will be a permanent partner option again after you clear the temple, which will be in the next update. Depending on if you picked male or female Sam, they will be the gateway to some MMF content or a romance option, but the temporary separation is part of the plot and Sam's personal storyline as well so you had to be separated from them for a bit.

Fortunately there is no shortage of Ashley smugging to come! I'm (pleasantly) surprised how popular she seems to be so far, I was worried she'd come off as just annoying.
Also you posted mostly the same comment twice.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
In a lot of the dialogue after you pick the gender for Sam it keeps using they/them an she/her or he/him interchangebly wich(to me) feels very jarring as, in my experience, usage of they/them gets fazed out almost entirely once the gender of the character is known. Also it feels like an oversight/lazy writing because we got to pick their gender but it still uses the non-specific pronoun.
Hold on, are you saying that he/him shows up after you pick female Sam, or that male Sam gets he/him and female Sam gets she/her? They/them is still used intentionally occasionally to vary pronouns a bit, and on a broader scale plenty of people use 'they' sometimes even when you know their gender. I don't mean to be rude, I'm just trying to understand where the lazy/oversight comment came from.

Doublepost was an edit attempt that apparently went wrong, thanks for letting me know.

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
Hold on, are you saying that he/him shows up after you pick female Sam, or that male Sam gets he/him and female Sam gets she/her? They/them is still used intentionally occasionally to vary pronouns a bit, and on a broader scale plenty of people use 'they' sometimes even when you know their gender. I don't mean to be rude, I'm just trying to understand where the lazy/oversight comment came from.

Doublepost was an edit attempt that apparently went wrong, thanks for letting me know.
The they/them one.
I'm not trying to call you lazy, it just looks weird when the gender was specifically chosen by the player but a good few of the lines referring to Sam then still use the ungendered.
I'm probably complaining about nothing but it just stood out to me.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
The they/them one.
I'm not trying to call you lazy, it just looks weird when the gender was specifically chosen by the player but a good few of the lines referring to Sam then still use the ungendered.
I'm probably complaining about nothing but it just stood out to me.
Gotcha. Yeah, that's fair. I try to keep pronouns varied so I don't run into the issue of starting sentences with "he" three times in a row or repeating myself too much, but I can try to make a point of using more gendered pronouns in that case if it really comes off that offputting, sorry. I appreciate the feedback!

This gives me heavy Monster Girl Dreams vibe and I love that game. And so, there's probably little to no content at the moment but I'll happily give it a watch and see where the journey will take us.
I'm nowhere near as good of a writer or as experienced of a developer as Thresh, but thank you! I enjoyed MGD for a while too, modding it is what gave me the courage to actually start writing H stuff and try some of the ideas I'd had since playing CoC1 a while ago. Here's to working towards that level! Currently there's around ~20-30 minutes of gameplay and 2 H scenes, but next update is going well and will expand that significantly.

Last edited:

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
Gotcha. Yeah, that's fair. I try to keep pronouns varied so I don't run into the issue of starting sentences with "he" three times in a row or repeating myself too much, but I can try to make a point of using more gendered pronouns in that case if it really comes off that offputting, sorry. I appreciate the feedback!
I can get behind that reasoning, I get pretty insecure about that kind of thing when I write. Also if no-one else mentiones it, feel free to ignore it.

Sep 20, 2019
Hopefully this game receive more updates and contents in the future, i will probably wait until version 1.0 arrives before trying to see if i can get this game to run again on my pc

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Hopefully this game receive more updates and contents in the future, i will probably wait until version 1.0 arrives before trying to see if i can get this game to run again on my pc
I'm about halfway to 0.2, been posting daily updates in the Discord. Going to try and stick to a 2 week update schedule.

Did you try moving the game to the folder I suggested? I asked a few times about your error in the renpy discord but no one answered so idk how else to troubleshoot it admittedly.

Sep 20, 2019
I'm about halfway to 0.2, been posting daily updates in the Discord. Going to try and stick to a 2 week update schedule.

Did you try moving the game to the folder I suggested? I asked a few times about your error in the renpy discord but no one answered so idk how else to troubleshoot it admittedly.
If i download it again, then i will try to do that, it is just that the Renpy Engine thing that plays those games are in my Random Games and Download files at the moment, so trying to play any games that is not in the same folder as that launcher is in might not cause any of those games to load, i can try doing that one later or if i decided to try again, what icon does the symbol show in the top-left corner of the game window when it launch? Does it need to look like the one on the first post of this topic? if it does, then it was showing the one with the blue box in the middle of the screen which is what the .Exe one shows most of the time.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
If i download it again, then i will try to do that, it is just that the Renpy Engine thing that plays those games are in my Random Games and Download files at the moment, so trying to play any games that is not in the same folder as that launcher is in might not cause any of those games to load, i can try doing that one later or if i decided to try again, what icon does the symbol show in the top-left corner of the game window when it launch? Does it need to look like the one on the first post of this topic? if it does, then it was showing the one with the blue box in the middle of the screen which is what the .Exe one shows most of the time.
You don't need to have any renpy dev engine downloaded to play a compiled renpy game.

As for the symbol - yes, it's the one from the topic, for both the exe and the top left of the game itself. If it's not showing up, it sounds like you somehow got a bad download...? If possible, try to download from the Google Drive link, that's the one I uploaded+tested from most thoroughly. I didn't upload the nopy/pixeldrain/uploadhaven versions, so maybe one of them got weird when downloading/uploading from staff? The icon in the Divine Dawn folder should look like the image in this topic, just clicking on it should launch the game.

Sep 20, 2019
You don't need to have any renpy dev engine downloaded to play a compiled renpy game.

As for the symbol - yes, it's the one from the topic, for both the exe and the top left of the game itself. If it's not showing up, it sounds like you somehow got a bad download...? If possible, try to download from the Google Drive link, that's the one I uploaded+tested from most thoroughly. I didn't upload the nopy/pixeldrain/uploadhaven versions, so maybe one of them got weird when downloading/uploading from staff? The icon in the Divine Dawn folder should look like the image in this topic, just clicking on it should launch the game.
Ok, both of the ones i try have that .Exe icon on the top-left corner of the game screen when i open it, so it did not show the one that was in it's own folder or the one that you have as a introduction page on the first post of this topic, so i will try and download the google drive one again and see if it works again, the icon did show what was mention in it, but when i launch the game it did not show that in the top-left corner of the screen, Lustful Desires does that when launching that game but this one did not, i will try again with the google drive one.

Sep 20, 2019
It works when it was in my Download sections of my Windows Library, so it seems this path is causing problems for it not working

This PC, Desktop, to sync later, . my random downloads and games, and finally a renpy games

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/dawncode/startupFunctions.rpy", line 1, in script
init python:
File "game/dawncode/startupFunctions.rpy", line 31, in <module>
with open(file) as f:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'dawncode/abilities/enemy/bite.json'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/dawncode/startupFunctions.rpy", line 1, in script
init python:
File "C:\Users\ashley\Desktop\to sync later\. my random downloads and games\a renpy games\DivineDawn-0.1-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 914, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "C:\Users\ashley\Desktop\to sync later\. my random downloads and games\a renpy games\DivineDawn-0.1-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "game/dawncode/startupFunctions.rpy", line 31, in <module>
with open(file) as f:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'dawncode/abilities/enemy/bite.json'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606

Wed Feb 17 10:41:04 2021

4.50 star(s) 37 Votes