Do you prefer a harem or having to choose in games?

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Tough question. It's also nearly impossible to answer with any kind of accuracy that applies to everyone. Some of the most popular games are those with high stakes and enforced single love interests. Others refuse to call themselves harem games, but involve open relationships with high stakes on how you approach those as well. And then there are the full harem games that are basically just "MC never loses and gets everyone no matter what." games. You'll find instances of all of these at the top of the list here.

So, I'm going to say it doesn't matter at all. What is truly, absolutely important, is how you write it. Make it good and your game will be good.

Edit: I will also say that once you pick one, stick with it unless you have made it absolutely clear from the beginning that a change was coming. I've seen way too many games boards go up in flames because of a twist that changed a harem game into a single player game or vice versa with no warning.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I wouldn't say I have an inherent preference; I'm cool with harem, I'm cool with choosing.

Personally, I find 100% no-consequence harem where no one ever has an issue a bit hard to swallow though. I don't mind harem, but there should be some clash or struggle along the way to get there.

And maybe an unpopular opinion, but I am also fine with limited harems. Some people just... don't get along, for whatever reason. If I can have a harem but still have to pick between certain characters or groups, I don't mind. It's cool if there is a way to solve at least some of those issues though.

Oct 26, 2017
Both. It all depends on your game but choices with consequences are more immersive.

Even some slave training games actually managed to emphasize on this one pretty nicely - where you can seduce, train or recruit a horde of unique characters, some of which may outright dismiss themselves, rebel against you, fight because they can't stand each other or fight to get your attention.

The plot thickens when you also have to sacrifice characters in order to save others. Many STGs actually have a plot with a "main love route" where the slaves are nothing but fodder to reach the MC's means, but many also have separate routes for each one, and it's not just about building a bitch farm but literally trying to keep your bitches in order and prevent them from going insane and/or killing each other or the MC...:unsure:

If your game isn't some kind of Super Waifunator Deluxe and has some plot depth, then you might want to let the player select a target and try to stick to it instead of casually sexing everything that moves.

(Unless the MC is a succubus -- but even succubi have standards!)

aihikari

May 18, 2019
I prefer harem. It's hard to create a harmonious atmosphere on that premise, but if the game makers manage, it will be an extremely enjoyable experience.
And for that purpose, there are some general options:
1. Make the girls emotionally dependent on MC.
2. Make the girls having healthy competition.
3. Make the girls loving each other too, so the harem feels like just a big family.

Reactions: AnonW123

rpgwen

Jun 7, 2022
both are great, but ultimately its if its well written, well rendered, well animated, and easy to play/save. and for the love of lust, make changing opacity the norm!

Diabowlique

Apr 14, 2018
I like both but something you might want to think about is that there's a difference between having casual sex with multiple 'love interests' and being in dating relationships with numerous women.

To me the latter should be considered a harem, but not the former. But as usual, a lot of terms are abused and made too broad.

This is my reading from playing plenty of 'harem' games that I noticed a theme that at no time does the MC confirm the status of being in a proper boyfriend/girlfriend relationship or act as if in one (that's why the cheating aspect never comes up). The one common exception is the GF already set up at the start of the game which is almost immediately forgotten by the MC.

Not all games follow this, but it's a noticeable trend. I think the fact people refer to the women they can engage with as 'love interests' is a telling indication of their feeling towards the relationships. That term invokes in me the impression of casual sexual relationships with prospective women that might become 'the one' than actual harem relationships where they are all in one big relationship group.

The fact that the women rarely interact with each other on a relationship level while having interweaving 'interactions' with the MC reinforces this in my mind.

I think this is fueled by two common aspects I notice people prefer when consuming games.
  1. They don't want to be gated out of the content and complain when the content of this update isn't accessible to them. This makes the Omni-cheating MC almost mandatory.
  2. They don't want to replay the game to explore every choice. Choices seem to be primarily to curate what content they want to see not actually make choices where you might 'lose' something they want to see to see something else. You can see this by the intricate walkthroughs people make to 'catch them all'.
These setups are all unrealistic but every adult game is. Similar to action movies use 'action logic' where the MC walks through a hail of bullets unscathed or has a firefight on a freeway with countless civilian casualties with no repercussions. Adult games are the same. In order to enjoy the sexual encounters without wasting time and effort, the Love interests are lined up efficiently to maximize the erotic encounters while trying to maintain verisimilitude. Not create actual harems.

Ratrio

Aug 21, 2018
Harem all day long with only a little bit of drama that's overcome pretty easily. I don't like having to choose in games.

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Choose. I prefer when one go on a deep relationship with the person. I designed my game around this idea.

I can't get into the harem fantasy because in the back of my mind I always think on the other person's feeling and how they feel when I'm also proposing eternal love (and fucking) to half of the city.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
It depends on the game:
-For fuckfest and non serious games harem is better because it makes it clear that the protagonist is there to fuck as many characters as possible.
-But if we are talking about a romance game, without cheating, that focus on romantic feelings then a single choice is better.

I always feel bad when the best girl has real romantic feelings but can never get her feelings across and instead settles with sharing the one she loves with everyone else. This usually breaks all chances of developing any deep romance with either character.

Geralt_R

Jun 4, 2022
If a game has a good solo route... then I often prefer the solo route. But many games punish you with a lack of content if you do that and especially games that are not completed can result in complete boredom if you don't follow all the paths since updates may not even feature your preferred character.

So harem games can make for a better experience. Especially when a game is not yet completed. But I'd rather play something like Haley's Story than WVM or so. If there were more games like Haley's Story.

FlamesOfVengeance

Jul 16, 2019
Being able to have a harem is always better for me personally as I hate choosing only one when there's several great women to choose from. Still having the option to settle down for only one person would be appreciated tho for those who prefer doing that. One thing I definitely dispise is when I need to play the same game several times to see everything. In theory this would be great for replayability but in practice it just turns me away from the game if one playthrough already took a while to complete.

I might be in the minority with this take but I also don't need "impactful decisions" in a game. I like my games to be fun and like a playground where you can do everything you like. As you could probably imagine I love sandbox games (if they are done right without any exessive grinding) and I honestly kinda dislike most visual novels. I just don't like how linear VNs are, just throwing a decision or dialogue option your way every 10 minutes while watching a slideshow of pictures.

Sure a harem is just a nice fantasy but is that a bad thing? Games are usually best when they offer escapism and doing things that are mostly impossible in real life definitely is interesting. There's definitely room for more grounded and realistic games but for erotic games in specific I treasure fun most.

Loganfin

Dec 2, 2020
I am extremely unlikely to play a game with only one sex option. I'm not here for the romance, or a love story. I'm into games where a male MC can pursue, seduce, fuck, and possibly impregnate as many hot women as possible. Ideally with repeatable sex scenes, group sex, and swinging.

Reactions: Vanderer

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
I am extremely unlikely to play a game with only one sex option. I'm not here for the romance, or a love story. I'm into games where a male MC can pursue, seduce, fuck, and possibly impregnate as many hot women as possible. Ideally with repeatable sex scenes, group sex, and swinging.
Sounds like HS with mods... :KEK:

Loganfin

Dec 2, 2020
Agreed but your initial description sounded more like HS itself and not a game made with it... :KEK:
I've never been able to figure out how to download HS itself. Its far more complicated than anything else on here it seems.