Does anyone else think animation is a complete waste of time?

KekWGgWP

Feb 9, 2018
I wouldn't say a complete waste of time but as example, for an early release game, animations are unnecessary overall in my opinion because when you make an early game, you should focus on the story, the characters, the renders and the last are the animations because this is something cosmetic, doesn't have any other role than make the game more attractive and takes time to make.

As you advance with the game when you bring more updates and gets more popularity, then you can think of the idea of upgrading the game by adding animations, that's my opinion about it, i'm not a fanatic over the animations and i enjoy a game regardless of animations or not, it's not something extremely important for me as a player, as a fan.

FlamesOfVengeance

Jul 16, 2019
I think animations improve any game but only IF said animations are done right with lots of care and a certain fluidity to it. I've seen many games before where I thought they would have been better off without animations because the ones that were in the game were just bad.

Long story short: If you're a dev, only do animations if you're capable of creating decent looking ones. If not, just don't do them.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Long story short: If you're a dev, only do animations if you're capable of creating decent looking ones. If not, just don't do them.
It isn't like there is a group of people who can be good at animations at the first try. Getting good at DAZ takes a lot of practice, for still images. You have to dig a lot of shit before getting decent at animations.

FlamesOfVengeance

Jul 16, 2019
It isn't like there is a group of people who can be good at animations at the first try. Getting good at DAZ takes a lot of practice, for still images. You have to dig a lot of shit before getting decent at animations.
Sure but some people who aim to have good animations practice a lot before making a game so they are already somewhat skilled when they start.

Reactions: Adabelitoo

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Sure but some people who aim to have good animations practice a lot before making a game so they are already somewhat skilled when they start.
I think only really hard-working people will spent months practicing anything before making a game. A lot of people start this with the idea that "this will be fun an easy" and maybe get some money so it's already "late" for them when they realise that they have a lot to learn, so that practice will hapen after they make a game.

So they will spend weeks, hopefully months, learning something that they probably shouldn't use in their game because it's still not decent but at the same time they have players saying "So you spent weeks/months and you still have nothing to show? You're just another shitty/milking dev!", and ironically that could be the best scenario because the other scenario is not having players who cares about that game at all and no one comments so it can make devs thinks "Why do I care about quality? Why am I trying so hard if no one cares about my game in the first place?".

FlamesOfVengeance

Jul 16, 2019
I think only really hard-working people will spent months practicing anything before making a game. A lot of people start this with the idea that "this will be fun an easy" and maybe get some money so it's already "late" for them when they realise that they have a lot to learn, so that practice will hapen after they make a game.

So they will spend weeks, hopefully months, learning something that they probably shouldn't use in their game because it's still not decent but at the same time they have players saying "So you spent weeks/months and you still have nothing to show? You're just another shitty/milking dev!", and ironically that could be the best scenario because the other scenario is not having players who cares about that game at all and no one comments so it can make devs thinks "Why do I care about quality? Why am I trying so hard if no one cares about my game in the first place?".
Yup I imagine being a game developer for erotic games really can be tiresome...

Sshar22

Aug 19, 2020
Oh the horror, imagine having to learn something before trying to do it.
When will we introduce salaries for the kids doing their homework?
Seriously?

Cheers

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
I see rarely any animations, in DAZ or Ocatane made games, that i'd call good. The ones that are good, made in these programs, took a lot of time to do. Overall i'd say animations are a waste of time as long as you can't make them good.

faryak

Dec 14, 2018
It couldn't hurt, I think. But if takes too much time that the devs are distracted from the story because of them, then it hurts a lot; and not in a good way :sneaky:

Jul 9, 2020
I genuinely don't care for the animation as long as the render looks halfway palatable and the writing is good. If there's voice, that's awesome. I always love when there's voice acting. It always surprises me the depth people will go to make good sound for games. Either they're actually fucking in the recording booth or they're acting out the sounds and not cringing in pain.

And in the case of the latter--it's not bad. It's just that it must be so cringe to do it the first several times.

Fr my favorite thing to read are those 1000 page artist cgs that just have like a few base images because the dialogue and how it happens is the intimate and exciting part imo. I dunno.

Sheik100

May 19, 2021
Honestly even the animations in top games dont do much for me so.. I absolutely agree. Ive seen a couple of nice animated 3d scenes on random sites but they are very few and far between. Edit I should say its not like I go out of my way trying 3dcg games searching for one with animation I like.

I feel like the best bet would be to start off with just 1 scene if you are able to do it right and if people want to see more you can then expand the team and scope. Id appreciate actually good animation enough for 1/10 the number of scenes easily.

Edit Most 3d animation even if its good, its just a simple loop. What quality animation done right to me wouldnt just be how nice the thrusting looks. I want to see her tremble when she cums. I want to see her expression. I want her to react, start breathing heavily, her face to flush. Yes this takes time, doing 1 scene like this might take as long as 3-5 animated scenes.

(Edit: I get its lots of work to make something like that, but if Im describing my ideal, perfect game thats what Id like to see more of. Even if it meant slower updates or less content. If I came off sounding too aggressive or like I wasnt grateful or something Ill apologize here. I rarely complain about games if its not for a reason and Im very greatful for all the games I have gotten from f95.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ophanim

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
Honestly even the animations in top games dont do much for me so.. I absolutely agree. Ive seen a couple of nice animated 3d scenes on random sites but they are very few and far between. Edit I should say its not like I go out of my way trying 3dcg games searching for one with animation I like.

I feel like the best bet would be to start off with just 1 scene if you are able to do it right and if people want to see more you can then expand the team and scope. Id appreciate actually good animation enough for 1/10 the number of scenes easily.

Edit Most 3d animation even if its good, its just a simple loop. What quality animation done right to me wouldnt just be how nice the thrusting looks. I want to see her tremble when she cums. I want to see her expression. I want her to react, start breathing heavily, her face to flush. Yes this takes time, doing 1 scene like this might take as long as 3-5 animated scenes.
The animation you describe would probably take 1 month to do using a blender. 1min+ animation with thousands of frames for all the actions and details. There's a reason why dedicated animators take months to make a good quality animation with changing positions and lots of movement. Even a simple action like picking up the body, throwing it on the bed is a lot.

Last edited:

Sheik100

May 19, 2021
I do realize that its time consuming to do right. But we dont even get a little bit of that, usually what I see is a simple loop with few variants. Thats not enough for me, it may as well be a still image for me.

Ive seen a few games with high attention to detail but sadly they are all very rapey. Like theres Underground Idol that I dont like the content of but I just mention it because its a high amount of detail and its recent enough for me to remember the name. Theres also the "Dungeon of" series, I think another one Ive seen before was about high intensity bdsm. I dont think theres one thats high detail, very loving sex. Thats what Id love to see. It is doable, but its whether h games ever get to that point is how I see it. Edit Oh I should say Ive been playing mostly Japanese games for a while too.

https://f95zone.to/threads/re-underground-idol-x-raised-in-r-peture-final-nylon-heart.56182/

Edit And I dont think its unreasonable to expect h games to keep improving. Try looking at games from just 5 years ago, theyre practically unplayable by todays standards.

Last edited:

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
I do realize that its time consuming to do right. But we dont even get a little bit of that, usually what I see is a simple loop with few variants. Thats not enough for me, it may as well be a still image for me.

Ive seen a few games with high attention to detail but sadly they are all very rapey. Like theres Underground Idol that I dont like the content of but I just mention it because its a high amount of detail and its recent enough for me to remember the name. Theres also the "Dungeon of" series, I think another one Ive seen before was about high intensity bdsm. I dont think theres one thats high detail, very loving sex. Thats what Id love to see. It is doable, but its whether h games ever get to that point is how I see it. Edit Oh I should say Ive been playing mostly Japanese games for a while too. I havent looked at that many of western games and I havent wanted to give them a try, but if you think theres one that will change my mind Ill look at it. The ones at the start of this thread werent really doing it for me.

https://f95zone.to/threads/re-underground-idol-x-raised-in-r-peture-final-nylon-heart.56182/

Edit And I dont think its unreasonable to expect h games to keep improving. Try looking at games from just 5 years ago, theyre practically unplayable by todays standards.
So you're expecting " " level animations, but x5 longer, multiple scenes in each update and games obviously need to be updated every month with no less than 1hour+ content in Patreon project which most of the time done by 1-2 people with a very tight budget. Sounds reasonable. Maybe you should try making such a game yourself, see why it doesn't happen for yourself. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: tdree

Sheik100

May 19, 2021
When did I say I was expecting that? Im expecting either better than we got or Id rather have still images. By the way, I usually wait 6 months before looking at what a games been up to, I hate seeing them piece meal. Even Four Elements Trainer, my favorite game I am waiting to update for 2 or 3 months now.

And I already said in my first comment this would probably mean 1/10 the amount of content, thats to be expected.

Also as long as we are saying unrealistic expectations Id prefer games to release completed already but obviously thats not going to happen. (also dont want to discuss why they dont, I get it and this line is supposed to be hyperbole)

Anyway with that off my chest, I dont feel anything I said was unreasonable. Im saying I dont find the current animated 3d content Ive seen hot, I havent given all of it a look granted but Ive been around both our stuff and the Japanese side. And Im saying what I think would be hot. At least 5 games on the Japanese side have managed to pull off this quality of animation. If noone on the western side ever tries how will they know if it wont get the funding needed to make it worth doing?

Edit I apologize if I pushed any of your buttons but I dont think Im alone in preferring 2d or still 3d images either.

Last edited:

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018

Ive seen a few games with high attention to detail but sadly they are all very rapey. Like theres Underground Idol that I dont like the content of but I just mention it because its a high amount of detail and its recent enough for me to remember the name. Theres also the "Dungeon of" series, I think another one Ive seen before was about high intensity bdsm. I dont think theres one thats high detail, very loving sex. Thats what Id love to see. It is doable, but its whether h games ever get to that point is how I see it. Edit Oh I should say Ive been playing mostly Japanese games for a while too.

The more detailed you make them, the longer they have to be to avoid looking like a loop, because all animations are a loop in the end unless you can clearly tell when it stops and when it ends and in that case it's mostly a bad animation.

The longer you make them, not only the more work it takes but also the more size it needs. If you start unrenpying all the games you have, you will find that most of your games' size is due to animations, even if the CG-animations relationship is like 50-1, or 100-1 assuming a horrible compresion.

Last edited:

Sheik100

May 19, 2021
The Underground Idol I linked I think is about 30 min to an hour total, for 1.5 gb. Around 6 scenes? Ill double check later. No gameplay, just animations and a bit of story setting. Its hard to tell exactly when they end and if you let them keep playing she will react a little differently, I think they replay parts of it and just change the parts they needed to? But just guessing on that.

Anyway, Ive said enough about my opinion. Some players do seem to enjoy the current 3d animation too, those games are popular. Everyone likes something different, I didnt mean to come off like I was being too critical. I just really like high quality animation, not even just in h games, even in anime I am disappointed very often. Some regular games too the animations are stiffer than I would like. I get I am in the minority, but in regular media Ive seen better quality animations do well. Think of Studio Ghibli, would they be popular if they let their animation quality drop? Thats what the thread is for anyway, so I cant say whether it would be worth it for your game to do current quality 3dcg, stills or try pushing for higher quality. You would need to test the water yourself.

I really would like to believe higher quality animation would succeed though.