VN Ren'Py Dog Days of Summer [Rework v0.2.1b] [BlackWeb Games]

4.30 star(s) 38 Votes

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
Domina isn't a word that I encounter frequently "in the wild" although it could be a regional or sub-culture phenomenon. For me, it is usually a suggestion that the writer (I've never heard it spoken!) is not a native English speaker and is using a translated/borrowed word. It is understandable, but not necessarily natural sounding.
Most likely the writer is a native Latin speaker.

RishBish

Aug 5, 2016
Is there a way for Viv to keep her glasses on? I like that look better than the no glasses look, and it disappoints me that any sort of confident/assertive type responses or answers gets her to switch to her contacts right away. And after Des sleeps over all three choices to respond how she looks results in contacts. Which either means I made a choice before those choices that resulted in taking off the glasses for this part.

While I get that maybe it is supposed to be a symbolic moment where we visually see a change in Viv's demeanor, psychologically it doesn't really fit. Some people are confident with their glasses and how they look in them. If they desire any sort of symbolic gesture regarding the wearing of their glasses, most times they'll just get a different style of glasses. I personally hate not wearing glasses and I can't do contacts due to the inability to touch or even come close to my eye, thus making contacts a non option for me if I ever really felt the desire to not wear glasses.

If the only thing it is supposed to be is a symbolic representation of her change, I'd prefer the symbolic representation to be something such as a hair style change. Not having the option to choose for ourselves if we'd rather Viv wear glasses or not feels, I don't know, like she was feeling at the start. How there just isn't a point. I want to keep a certain look. Glasses are sexy to me and for me. I purposely chose options I didn't want to at the very beginning things just to keep them on. If going forward she won't have glasses on no matter what options I choose, I'll probably go back and pick the choices I would normally have made. And cringe every time I see Viv on screen.

It is a decent story so far, so I'd hate to give up playing it just because I really don't like the way Viv looks without glasses, but I can't really see myself having to wince through looking at Viv without them on for the vast majority of time she's on screen for very long.

Mar 30, 2018
I love this game, I played it from the first release, I love the arts, I love most of the characters, and the scenario overall... But the pathes are such a mess...

Reactions: DrakteisckyG

BlackWebGames

Dog Days of Summer developer
Game Developer
Jan 11, 2020
Is there a way for Viv to keep her glasses on? I like that look better than the no glasses look, and it disappoints me that any sort of confident/assertive type responses or answers gets her to switch to her contacts right away. And after Des sleeps over all three choices to respond how she looks results in contacts. Which either means I made a choice before those choices that resulted in taking off the glasses for this part.

While I get that maybe it is supposed to be a symbolic moment where we visually see a change in Viv's demeanor, psychologically it doesn't really fit. Some people are confident with their glasses and how they look in them. If they desire any sort of symbolic gesture regarding the wearing of their glasses, most times they'll just get a different style of glasses. I personally hate not wearing glasses and I can't do contacts due to the inability to touch or even come close to my eye, thus making contacts a non option for me if I ever really felt the desire to not wear glasses.

If the only thing it is supposed to be is a symbolic representation of her change, I'd prefer the symbolic representation to be something such as a hair style change. Not having the option to choose for ourselves if we'd rather Viv wear glasses or not feels, I don't know, like she was feeling at the start. How there just isn't a point. I want to keep a certain look. Glasses are sexy to me and for me. I purposely chose options I didn't want to at the very beginning things just to keep them on. If going forward she won't have glasses on no matter what options I choose, I'll probably go back and pick the choices I would normally have made. And cringe every time I see Viv on screen.

It is a decent story so far, so I'd hate to give up playing it just because I really don't like the way Viv looks without glasses, but I can't really see myself having to wince through looking at Viv without them on for the vast majority of time she's on screen for very long.
If you are not on the dom path then you will be given the option to keep the glasses on or not
sis 05.jpg sis 05g.jpg

whisperpuppy

The Werewolf Queen
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot right click w/o an error
redownloaded your game and get the same error

msleomac

Engaged Member
Feb 1, 2019
Dunno if it's of interest to anyone but I've invested a bit of my time into creating flow chart for myself to keep up with the game logic in the 0.48 compressed test build by going through the script itself and tracking all the variables.

It's missing the final branches, is ugly, large (~1.4Mb), has probably some errors and has no information about specific scenes (some may be deduced by the choice of variable names) but I think I'll share it before the effort goes to waste.
Please don't be fooled though - the amount of alternative dialog based on decisions is astounding and not reflected in this chart.

P.S.: Just wanna say great game BlackWebGames and compliments for taming that beast of a story tree. There were a few things related to the game logic I've noticed in the script files. Might be a little late for feedback though with the new version on the horizon but could PM (if that's even possible on f95, dunno) you the findings if you'd like.
Anyhow: Best of luck for the future. View attachment 1077214
will you be updating?

abram1

May 24, 2020
BlackWebGames, the amount of ways gamers can replay this VN is staggering.
Only in one of my numerous saves I've got
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That scene with Ms. Harper can be played out quite differently, depending not only on dom/sub path, but some intrinsic variables.

I'm not sure getting rid of Evaline's side story is a bright idea. Your VN is more like a super tasty cake with lots of layers. The deeper you get, tastier it savors. Let players have that choice, it's kind of a reward for the inquisitive ones.
Obviously, it complicates the development, yet putting aside such convoluted character as Eve doesn't feel right.

BlackWebGames

Dog Days of Summer developer
Game Developer
Jan 11, 2020
BlackWebGames, the amount of ways gamers can replay this VN is staggering.
Only in one of my numerous saves I've got
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That scene with Ms. Harper can be played out quite differently, depending not only on dom/sub path, but some intrinsic variables.

I'm not sure getting rid of Evaline's side story is a bright idea. Your VN is more like a super tasty cake with lots of layers. The deeper you get, tastier it savors. Let players have that choice, it's kind of a reward for the inquisitive ones.
Obviously, it complicates the development, yet putting aside such convoluted character as Eve doesn't feel right.
Maybe this will help show my reasoning. Here is the only way you can currently go out with Evaline. You have to do everything in the dark blue everything else is a hard stop on it happening.
Graph.jpg
This route is so burred at the moment that you have to first know that it exist and then know how to get to it in order to find it. Yet that little choice was causing literal hundreds of hours of extra work.

Again, I am not saying you wont ever be able to date Evaline. You will. However I want to add it as an option where it has more of an impact on more of the story and more people will be able to find it naturally.

There is a reason I don't have a chart like this to show every option and variation (Yet) is because I like the game to be a natural discovery of things. People choosing the options they think fits best with the story. But with every variation creates hundreds of hours of more work. So I want the variations to be significant but also as few as possible.

4.30 star(s) 38 Votes