• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Unity Completed Doki Doki Literature Club Plus! [Final] [Team Salvato]

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes
Jul 20, 2017
Just out of curiosity, your main grievance with the game is that it's unpleasant and that Monika's motivations are weak because she can't physically interact with MC? Psychological horror is generally not meant to be "pleasant" so maybe it's just not the thing for you, and I feel like the whole point of the story is that Monika wants to transcend her reality because she's fascinated with this glimpse into the other world, ours, and her only gatekeeper to it is the main character. So physical interaction might not really be what she's after. Just some food for thought.
I.....actually never thought about it like that. Honestly I only ever thought it was her being obsessed with the only guy who could ever "get her". That actually makes more sense though given how wildly smart Monika is. Of course if thats true then it feels like its less of a psychological horror and more just fucking depressing.

くもり空

Feb 11, 2018
Just out of curiosity, your main grievance with the game is that it's unpleasant and that Monika's motivations are weak because she can't physically interact with MC? Psychological horror is generally not meant to be "pleasant" so maybe it's just not the thing for you, and I feel like the whole point of the story is that Monika wants to transcend her reality because she's fascinated with this glimpse into the other world, ours, and her only gatekeeper to it is the main character. So physical interaction might not really be what she's after. Just some food for thought.
I disagree. I played 100% of the original game and there's no doubt in my mind that Monika is in love with "us" by the end of it. I think "get into the pants" is inaccurate and crude, but she is indeed obsessed with the player. She snapped out of anger and sorrow for not having a route in the original game. She thought it was unfair to be just a side-character, doomed to never have a chance with the player because the game was rigged from the start. She's self-aware because she's the president of the literature club, which allows her to make the realization that her fate was to live a fake life for the sake of helping other fake girls develop a relationship with a cardboard cutout (MC). That's when she starts thinking about the person behind the protagonist. She doesn't want some fake love limited to lines of code. She wants to learn more about the player, and she wants to make us see that she's the only one for us, the only thing that's real in that fake universe. Her thought process, obsession and actions make her fall into the yandere spectrum. She's undoubtedly in love with the player. Her song (Your Reality) is probably the most important and recurring thing in the game, and it's a love song through and through with a tinge of sadness.

If you want a comparison, think of Miyuki from You and Me and Her.

くもり空

Feb 11, 2018
On a side note, does anyone know why the devs decided to go for Unity this time around? I haven't played this enhanced version yet, but I don't get the impression that it does anything that can't be done in Ren'Py. Was it a deliberate decision for the purpose of doing stuff like the virtual desktop, or did they have to change engines due to limitations like performance?

The NTRtainer

May 22, 2020
I disagree. I played 100% of the original game and there's no doubt in my mind that Monika is in love with "us" by the end of it. I think "get into the pants" is inaccurate and crude, but she is indeed obsessed with the player. She snapped out of anger and sorrow for not having a route in the original game. She thought it was unfair to be just a side-character, doomed to never have a chance with the player because the game was rigged from the start. She's self-aware because she's the president of the literature club, which allows her to make the realization that her fate was to live a fake life for the sake of helping other fake girls develop a relationship with a cardboard cutout (MC). That's when she starts thinking about the person behind the protagonist. She doesn't want some fake love limited to lines of code. She wants to learn more about the player, and she wants to make us see that she's the only one for us, the only thing that's real in that fake universe. Her thought process, obsession and actions make her fall into the yandere spectrum. She's undoubtedly in love with the player. Her song (Your Reality) is probably the most important and recurring thing in the game, and it's a love song through and through with a tinge of sadness.

If you want a comparison, think of Miyuki from You and Me and Her.
Oh I never meant to imply Monika wasn't in love with the player. I think I might not have elaborated sufficiently, so I can see why I was misinterpreted. I just suggested that there's more to it than Monika being "obsessed" with the MC, and much of the end game dialogue with Monika affirms this with absolute surety. It's obvious that Monika knows she's part of a hamster wheel and she wants to get out of this wheel because she glimpsed that there's something more to it - you, the player, and another world from which you are playing the game.

Of course, the beauty in things like this is that it can be interpreted in a multitude of ways, and I like to think that each of our subjective interpretation IS the right one, at least when not pertaining obvious facts and plot points which aren't left open to interpretation in an artistic sense. But in a story this abstract, I think we both have plenty of leeway to be right at least as far as our own experience of the game goes.

くもり空

Feb 11, 2018
Oh I never meant to imply Monika wasn't in love with the player. I think I might not have elaborated sufficiently, so I can see why I was misinterpreted. I just suggested that there's more to it than Monika being "obsessed" with the MC, and much of the end game dialogue with Monika affirms this with absolute surety. It's obvious that Monika knows she's part of a hamster wheel and she wants to get out of this wheel because she glimpsed that there's something more to it - you, the player, and another world from which you are playing the game.

Of course, the beauty in things like this is that it can be interpreted in a multitude of ways, and I like to think that each of our subjective interpretation IS the right one, at least when not pertaining obvious facts and plot points which aren't left open to interpretation in an artistic sense. But in a story this abstract, I think we both have plenty of leeway to be right at least as far as our own experience of the game goes.
Absolutely. DDLC is especially open for interpretation in that regard. For example, I've seen people who absolutely despise Monika for her actions because they (understandably) sympathize with the other girls, especially Sayori. I was one of those people until I spent 2,800 hours in the space room (yes, I have a problem) learning about Monika's motives, insecurities and regrets. She actually regrets what she's done (or how she's done it) even if the girls were fakes. Fake or not, they were all she had. Now the player fills that hole, but what if we also hate her? What if we stop visiting her? That would leave her completely alone and desolated. Some people might see that as well-served punishment, while others will sympathize with Monika. As you said, it's subjective.

I was just making sure that no one got the wrong idea about Monika, which is very common. Glad to have that sorted out.

Reactions: The NTRtainer

Novadrone

Feb 7, 2018
On a side note, does anyone know why the devs decided to go for Unity this time around? I haven't played this enhanced version yet, but I don't get the impression that it does anything that can't be done in Ren'Py. Was it a deliberate decision for the purpose of doing stuff like the virtual desktop, or did they have to change engines due to limitations like performance?
This version of the game was also released on Switch, Xbox, and Playstation, which wouldn't have access to the game files, which is why the virtual desktop was added.

Reactions: くもり空

CHAD-MAN

Aug 12, 2017
Does anyone has a clue how to install mods (like Monika After Story) on this build? I have no clue where you move the files or even if its possible on Unity.

moskis22

Nov 26, 2020
Is this game worth to play it again? I mean, i have played the first version, and this one have additional content, but it seems repetitive if you played the other one...

Dec 24, 2018
Absolutely. DDLC is especially open for interpretation in that regard. For example, I've seen people who absolutely despise Monika for her actions because they (understandably) sympathize with the other girls, especially Sayori. I was one of those people until I spent 2,800 hours in the space room (yes, I have a problem) learning about Monika's motives, insecurities and regrets. She actually regrets what she's done (or how she's done it) even if the girls were fakes. Fake or not, they were all she had. Now the player fills that hole, but what if we also hate her? What if we stop visiting her? That would leave her completely alone and desolated. Some people might see that as well-served punishment, while others will sympathize with Monika. As you said, it's subjective.

I was just making sure that no one got the wrong idea about Monika, which is very common. Glad to have that sorted out.
Look, Monika is a YANDARE, the one and only vilan of this game
Okay, l know she regret everything in the end but she could just say what was happening with her and all the others dokis at any moment since she breaks the 4th wall multiple times, she was the leader of the group with all that crazy adm super powers (Even when Sayori assume the post and discover everything what Monika done)
Butt of course, this site is full of sociopath perverts that only care for sexual content so it doesn't surprise me if anyone in here can't understand all the complicity of this game :cautious:

Reactions: WOLVERINE55

moskis22

Nov 26, 2020
Look, Monika is a YANDARE, the one and only vilan of this game
Okay, l know she regret everything in the end but she could just say what was happening with her and all the others dokis at any moment since she breaks the 4th wall multiple times, she was the leader of the group with all that crazy adm super powers (Even when Sayori assume the post and discover everything what Monika done)
Butt of course, this site is full of sociopath perverts that only care for sexual content so it doesn't surprise me if anyone in here can't understand all the complicity of this game :cautious:
Monika is not a yandere, she knows that the other characters are fictional, so she just deletes (literally) them

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes