RPGM Domination Desire: Banished - Development thread

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes
Nov 19, 2021
So, I've greatly enjoyed this game so far. Short, well-made, and balanced (to an extent) though I'm curious to ask, is there any update on the horizon? Or are you still at the drawing board for getting plots, stories, ideas and such together?

Necropanzer

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2018
Hello everyone,
The game is not abandoned, however I have hit some creative and technical roadblocks which I think I've managed to overcome.
I had trouble with the vision of the intro of the game I had previously planned out mainly because I wasn't satisfied with the design of one character that meant to be included there. So I have decided to scrap the intro and make a new one. However during the programming of that second version of the intro, I went back to DAZ to try again with some new found inspiration and managed to come up with a design I was happy with. Thanks to that the game now has and extended intro sequence split into two parts: first providing some background to the main character and second that sets up the main game. Both of them are currently fully implemented into the game and tested. It surely took a long time, however it gave me some time to think about how I wanted the story elements of the game to look like. Here are some screenshots that show events before the start of the game's plot.
1658065793167.png
1658065934888.png
This is Bellatrix, she plays the main role in the intro and encounter with her is currently exclusive to the intro itself. However she'll appear later in the game too. Let me know what do you think about her design as she was the one I struggled with as mentioned above.
screenB1.JPG
She has a couple of scenes that include watersports and bootlicking.

The other problem I had with the game was the issue of the black screen that would randomly appear forcing the player to reset the game which was very annoying due to its unpredictable nature and made it harder for me to playtest the game. After some research it was apparent that the new version of nw.js I used to boost perfomance of the game caused this problem. I wasn't able to resolve this problem and things I found online weren't of much help either. However, a new version of nw.js has come out recently that seems to fix this and some other crashes too. I deliberately used the word "seems" as that bug cannot be reproduced in any consistent way and only time will tell whether it's fully gone.

I also had a look at the rouge-like aspects of the game as well as draining mechanics. My main design philosophy in creating DD:B is to make a battlefuck game that doesn't force the player to loose to experience the h-content and makes loosing and being drained a part of the gameplay loop and not a dead-end. While the first aspect of that philosophy is apparent in the enemy design, the second one wasn't really clear as being killed restored only a portion of the player's exp before dying. Now the game registers the highest amount of EXP the player has acumulated and uses that value to calculate the starting exp after death. This has some advantages compared to the previous system which I won't present here as this post is already long. Exp gained during a run gives the player addidtional "Energy Points (temporary name until I think of a better one)" which will be used to unlock things such as dungeons, skills etc.

When it comes to draining mechanics I have made it so the enemy gains experience equal to the experience lost by the player when loosing a level. This causes the enemies that have significantly lower level compared to the player to gain more (for example 4) levels when they make the player cum or drain one of his levels. This system has a lower limit so that at least one level is gained when draining the player.

The changes to draining and exp are implemented and require more testing. I have yet to create a shop to spend energy points and figure out a fair pricing of the things that will be available to get there.

On the list of things I still want to put in the next version of DD:B are 3 scenes for each named succubi: Astarte, Nima and Liliett and adjust some of existing scenes so they are shorter of skippable if need be. I want to release on the start of August.

Sorry for the radio silence, I hope that the next time I will be writing a post like this it'll be together with another playable version, hopefully this time without game braking bugs. I probably wont be answering posts here until friday, because I will be on a bussiness trip. Hope you like the changes I've made, let me know what you think of them.

Nov 19, 2021
Glad to hear you've been working hard to make it work. And it looks fantastic! I'd definitely be eager to see more of the cyber-succubus at a later stage.

The nw.js error that keeps popping up you can get rid of by doing this:
Navigate you way to to %LOCALAPPDATA%/
Delete the nwjs folder
Then go into User Data/Default folders
Delete Web Data and Web Data-journal files

That will "purge" the problem and will let it run smoothly and with no problems, as when you next playtest it a new folder will be made of the same with the current and most up-to-date settings.

Djsjcs

Oct 10, 2021
Hello everyone,
The game is not abandoned, however I have hit some creative and technical roadblocks which I think I've managed to overcome.
I had trouble with the vision of the intro of the game I had previously planned out mainly because I wasn't satisfied with the design of one character that meant to be included there. So I have decided to scrap the intro and make a new one. However during the programming of that second version of the intro, I went back to DAZ to try again with some new found inspiration and managed to come up with a design I was happy with. Thanks to that the game now has and extended intro sequence split into two parts: first providing some background to the main character and second that sets up the main game. Both of them are currently fully implemented into the game and tested. It surely took a long time, however it gave me some time to think about how I wanted the story elements of the game to look like. Here are some screenshots that show events before the start of the game's plot.
View attachment 1930656
View attachment 1930660
This is Bellatrix, she plays the main role in the intro and encounter with her is currently exclusive to the intro itself. However she'll appear later in the game too. Let me know what do you think about her design as she was the one I struggled with as mentioned above.
View attachment 1930635
She has a couple of scenes that include watersports and bootlicking.

The other problem I had with the game was the issue of the black screen that would randomly appear forcing the player to reset the game which was very annoying due to its unpredictable nature and made it harder for me to playtest the game. After some research it was apparent that the new version of nw.js I used to boost perfomance of the game caused this problem. I wasn't able to resolve this problem and things I found online weren't of much help either. However, a new version of nw.js has come out recently that seems to fix this and some other crashes too. I deliberately used the word "seems" as that bug cannot be reproduced in any consistent way and only time will tell whether it's fully gone.

I also had a look at the rouge-like aspects of the game as well as draining mechanics. My main design philosophy in creating DD:B is to make a battlefuck game that doesn't force the player to loose to experience the h-content and makes loosing and being drained a part of the gameplay loop and not a dead-end. While the first aspect of that philosophy is apparent in the enemy design, the second one wasn't really clear as being killed restored only a portion of the player's exp before dying. Now the game registers the highest amount of EXP the player has acumulated and uses that value to calculate the starting exp after death. This has some advantages compared to the previous system which I won't present here as this post is already long. Exp gained during a run gives the player addidtional "Energy Points (temporary name until I think of a better one)" which will be used to unlock things such as dungeons, skills etc.

When it comes to draining mechanics I have made it so the enemy gains experience equal to the experience lost by the player when loosing a level. This causes the enemies that have significantly lower level compared to the player to gain more (for example 4) levels when they make the player cum or drain one of his levels. This system has a lower limit so that at least one level is gained when draining the player.

The changes to draining and exp are implemented and require more testing. I have yet to create a shop to spend energy points and figure out a fair pricing of the things that will be available to get there.

On the list of things I still want to put in the next version of DD:B are 3 scenes for each named succubi: Astarte, Nima and Liliett and adjust some of existing scenes so they are shorter of skippable if need be. I want to release on the start of August.

Sorry for the radio silence, I hope that the next time I will be writing a post like this it'll be together with another playable version, hopefully this time without game braking bugs. I probably wont be answering posts here until friday, because I will be on a bussiness trip. Hope you like the changes I've made, let me know what you think of them.
playable version time is ...

prettystupid

Mar 30, 2019
Great to have an update, and glad the issue with nw.js is hopefully resolved. Bellatrix's design looks excellent! The blend of demonic/sci-fi aesthetic works really well.

As for the XP draining, could you elaborate a bit on how that's currently planned to work? There aren't a lot of games that do this well so I'm eager to know what your plans for this are.

Necropanzer

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2018
Great to have an update, and glad the issue with nw.js is hopefully resolved. Bellatrix's design looks excellent! The blend of demonic/sci-fi aesthetic works really well.

As for the XP draining, could you elaborate a bit on how that's currently planned to work? There aren't a lot of games that do this well so I'm eager to know what your plans for this are.
I'll be glad to explain it to you. It is still level draining at its base. Let's say a level 11 (6200 of total exp) player is fighting level 7 succubus. If during the fight the player is successfully assaulted by the enemy and he loses 1 level, the amount of total exp he has is currently 4700. So he lost 1500 exp. That lost exp is stored as a value. The enemies also have a exp curve that provides information on how much exp they need to level up. At level 7 the succubus has 1800 total exp and receives 1500 exp from the level they stole so now they have 3300 of total exp. Let's say it was enough to gain 2 levels based on the information of the enemy lvl curve, so now the succubi is lvl 9 and the player is lvl 10. If the player was drained by two levels the lost exp value would be 3200 so that would put the succubi at level 10 and player at lvl 9. That's a simplified explanation, but it should give you an idea of how the system works.

It's a simple system and has some limitations, however I think it makes lower level enemies more of a threat. Especially if you are outnumbered. The cool thing about this is the fact that I can modify the calculations to assign different level curves to different enemies so one requires less exp to level up than the others. One thing that is worth mentioning is the fact that currently the common enemy levels (slimes, legion, succubi manipulatrix) are not stored between battles, but that won't be that case for some other common enemies in the future.

prettystupid

Mar 30, 2019
I'll be glad to explain it to you. It is still level draining at its base. Let's say a level 11 (6200 of total exp) player is fighting level 7 succubus. If during the fight the player is successfully assaulted by the enemy and he loses 1 level, the amount of total exp he has is currently 4700. So he lost 1500 exp. That lost exp is stored as a value. The enemies also have a exp curve that provides information on how much exp they need to level up. At level 7 the succubus has 1800 total exp and receives 1500 exp from the level they stole so now they have 3300 of total exp. Let's say it was enough to gain 2 levels based on the information of the enemy lvl curve, so now the succubi is lvl 9 and the player is lvl 10. If the player was drained by two levels the lost exp value would be 3200 so that would put the succubi at level 10 and player at lvl 9. That's a simplified explanation, but it should give you an idea of how the system works.

It's a simple system and has some limitations, however I think it makes lower level enemies more of a threat. Especially if you are outnumbered. The cool thing about this is the fact that I can modify the calculations to assign different level curves to different enemies so one requires less exp to level up than the others. One thing that is worth mentioning is the fact that currently the common enemy levels (slimes, legion, succubi manipulatrix) are not stored between battles, but that won't be that case for some other common enemies in the future.
Gotcha, makes sense. I'm also curious about the death condition: in this case, if the player dies, are they revived with 6200 xp/at level 11?

Necropanzer

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2018
Gotcha, makes sense. I'm also curious about the death condition: in this case, if the player dies, are they revived with 6200 xp/at level 11?
When player dies he is revived with 75% (this percentage may change) of highest exp he ever had. Let's say you fight a bunch of enemies at level 11, they drain you 2 lvls and ultimately kill you. This way you have the 75% of the 6200 exp you got at the start instead of the 75% of 3000 exp you would have left after being assaulted. I've designed it this way so the players aren't punished for enjoying h-scenes which will sometimes result in levels being drained. Apart from losing exp the player is also losing their whole equipment which can be reclaimed from their corpse that is left in the place they died. However, the player does not always die when losing a battle. Sometimes he can be left alone by the enemy after a loss. Equipment can be stored in a chest in player's house to give player a chance to keep some of his important items safe.

Reactions: prettystupid
Nov 19, 2021
So I've done every possible win and loss against the current enemies, but I have to ask; has any Vore been implemented yet or is that further down the line? Unless I've missed a scene somewhere.

Necropanzer

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2018
So I've done every possible win and loss against the current enemies, but I have to ask; has any Vore been implemented yet or is that further down the line? Unless I've missed a scene somewhere.
The only vore scene that is implemented is the one with Noemi in Obscure Mansion. To trigger it you have to cum in her mouth twice when she grabs you.

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes