Fan Art Dreams of Desire - Fan Art

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
Dear dykan29,

Your compositions in the renders are wonderful, but... the grain! No, not even that: GRAIN!

I don't know what kind of computer you have, but if it has a more or less decent CPU, maybe try these parameters?
They allow you to achieve, at the cost of a slight decrease in overall rendering quality, a fairly fast loss of grain, already at 300-400 iterations.

222.png

800 iterations image with above settings:

MomEp1Outfit.jpg

Last edited:

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
It'd be nice if the family members' skin tones were more consistent across the family. Mom looks almost gray compared to her sister and one of her daughters.

mc "{i}Well, she always goes to that tanning salon, even if she's not there, I can probably ask around.{/i}"
mc "{i}I'll go, see what I can find out.{/i}"
ab "Tracy?"
ab "Of course I know her!"
ab "She practically lives here! Haha!"

d8 tanning extra 5.jpg

Same story with aunt Jenna, but I cannot find the dialogue so quick.

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
to spend more than 15 minutes for a render is 1.waist of time 2.waist of money beacause of my i7 9700 so I say is fucking waist of money and time to create high quality renders for funArt . I saw many renders with
huge mistakes but..... is a funART page after all and not a place for competition..........
Well, everyone has a different approach to posts in the FanArt section.
Nothing personal, but I just understand that you definately spend the same 10-15 minutes to create a composition anyway, right? After that it's a matter of two clicks to organise the "electronic goon" so that he doesn't waste his computing resource, right?

Plus, the i7 9700 is not such a bad CPU I've compared it to mine here, not super, but quite, a third of mine:

`0`````Ryzen%203950`114`

I, by the way, do all my renders exactly on CPU, no GPU at all, since I only have a 1060Ti...

Reactions: TheAnalSissy

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
dykan29,

I average about an hour per render, and that's with dual GTX 1080s. In case you were curious. I also render at 4K, and then reduce to 1080P to reduce grain issues. I could render at a lower resolution to reduce the render times a bit, but I"m stubborn that way.

In any case, assuming that GPU prices get back to MSRP at some point, if you are looking for a 'bang for the buck' upgrade, the RTX 3060s that have 12GB of VRAM look quite promising. Faster render times in benchmarks vs. my 1080s or my now dead GTX 1080 Ti, and in the $300-400 US range at MSRP (good luck finding one near MSRP of course). Not sure what GPU you have, but if it isn't an Nvidia card, well the 3060 might be worth a looksee.

RTX 3090 pricing is still insane, but they have lots of VRAM. Not sure I'm willing to stick my neck out that far just for the VRAM though... I wish the 3080s came with more VRAM (10 GB isn't too shabby, but 12-16GB would make me happier).

Anyways to each their own. Funart is funart after alll!

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
dykan29,
I average about an hour per render, and that's with dual GTX 1080s.
I wrote my post specifically for those people without powerful GPUs.
CPU has its own undeniable advantage - it's not just a "dumb ray tracing factory" as GPU, but a real processor with a full set of commands, which can make each render pass better (that's why we set "Render quality" higher, to 5), and besides, remove grain right through the program filters, inside the rendering process (for that you need a filter section in bottom).

As a result, as I wrote, already at 300-400 iterations the grain is gone, and at 800 passes it is not visible at all. It's the same 1 hour per render on my Ryzen, even on complex scenes, but without pairing two 1080Ti.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I wrote my post specifically for those people without powerful GPUs.
CPU has its own undeniable advantage - it's not just a "dumb ray tracing factory" as GPU, but a real processor with a full set of commands, which can make each render pass better (that's why we set "Render quality" higher, to 5), and besides, remove grain right through the program filters, inside the rendering process (for that you need a filter section in bottom).

As a result, as I wrote, already at 300-400 iterations the grain is gone, and at 800 passes it is not visible at all. It's the same 1 hour per render on my Ryzen, even on complex scenes, but without pairing two 1080Ti.
Yeah I understood your intent. My point is that if people are ever looking at a GPU upgrade that do Iray rendering, the RTX 3060 with 12GB of VRAM at MSRP is a very decent choice in it's price range, mostly due to the 12GB of VRAM but also because they are faster than 1080 Tis or dual 1080s. Not at inflated prices, but supposedly those prices are dropping. Not sure as cryto mining operations seem to be relocating outside of China, but I'm hopeful...

BTW, I render at 4K, mitchell at 1.35, and the noise degrain settings at 4, 3, and 0.25. Daz Studio 4.12 removes some of these noise settings, but I can often get them back by loading my 'saved render settings. Also, I cut off iterations at 800.

I use 4.12 for reasons... newer versions may have better noise handling.

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
BTW, I render at 4K, mitchell at 1.35
Mitchell filter has long 'tails' (2 pixels if your have Mitchell function argument at 1):

fig24-05.jpg

When your put its value to something more, than 1, it makes an image quite 'fuzzy', even more, than standard Gaussian at 1.35.
Of cause, if your downsize 4K to 1080, you almost clean this effect by PS interpolating of pixels, but, if you are rendering 1:1 in Daz, I prefer 0.75 radius, to limit Mitchell filter only by two neighboring pixels of Daz render.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
AlexStone

I have no idea what that means. The 1.35 is based on a recommendation. I can try .75, but my current settings have worked well for me so far.

I just do the renders, I have no idea what makes them work...

OddballKellysHeroes.jpg

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
AlexStone
I have no idea what that means. The 1.35 is based on a recommendation. I can try .75, but my current settings have worked well for me so far.
Mitchell at 0.75
test001.png

Mitchell at 1.35
test002.png

In the second rendering, the smaller eye reflex and lacrimal reflex are lost. And the pores on the cheek are much smoother, brow details are lost.

That is, when you set the filter to 1.35, the filter, of course, quickly "dampens" the grain (which is why Daz's manual has such a high value - the developers know this flaw of Iray), but along with the grain goes a lot of small details of the model.
For example, the eyes will turn out like a fish's, there is such a thing.

Last edited:

Willibrordus

Feb 17, 2020
I've been reading up in this thread since dykan29 's noise was mentioned.
I'm active in another Fan Art section and started making art on a pc without GPU support THIS is my last render I did on that rig.
It rendered for more than 10hrs on CPU only, no noise reduction and basically a default render setting apart from minimum samples that were raised to 5000. Frame size is 4000x2667pixels (a little over 4k)

I redid the same picture to test that PC to its maximum and raised the size to 10000x6667 and that render needed 127hrs in 20hr sessions, with some cooldown in sleepmode in between, over the span of a whole week.

On my new PC with an RTX3070 onboard that same 127hr supersize picture took 4hrs30mins.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAnalSissy

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
I redid the same picture to test that PC to its maximum and raised the size to 10000x6667 and that render needed 127hrs in 20hr sessions, with some cooldown in sleepmode in between, over the span of a whole week.

On my new PC with an RTX3070 onboard that same 127hr supersize picture took 4hrs30mins.
Dear Willibrord,

To start with, a good GPU will ALWAYS beat even a top-end CPU simply because it is a specialized graphics device, unlike a CPU which is a universal device.

On the other hand, as I said above - everyone has a CPU, but not everyone has a good graphics card (and gentlemen miners are still digging their coins, so GPUs will not become cheap anytime soon).

That's why I wrote my recipe for reducing render times on CPU, which makes it easy to get image quality at 800 passes no worse than what the GPU gets at 5000, which immediately allows you to divide the "terrible" CPU render time of 127 hours by a factor of 6. So with noise reduction, which the CPU easily calculates, the render will go somewhere around 20 hours. Certainly not 4 hours and 30 minutes, but not a week either. ;)

But this recipe is easy to check: you and I take the same, sufficiently saturated scene - and count it each according to his recipe. You on high performance GPU, and me with noise reduction on CPU. And then we just compare the result.

I even wondered what we would get, and I think, the readers of this thread as well.

So, if you want - send me your .duf, preferably without any exotic assets - and I will gladly calculate it on my machine. And then we will compare the results. :)

PS
Incidentally, the CPU recipe can be useful even for those with a good GPU. Because the GPU also has a nasty limitation such as graphics memory. And some saturated scenes tend not to fit into it.

On the other hand, if I have 64 Gb RAM I can also use this thing, which I completely forgot to mention in the recipe with noise reduction:

4444.png

This is OptiX acceleration. Of course, it eats RAM like crazy and spends about 5 minutes to create special structures in memory, but uses all available RAM for rendering, which also drastically reduces its time.

Last edited:

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
In two days I'll be in an island with my girlfriend where I spend my money not buying expensive cads or CPU's and staying behind a screen changing parameters again and again trying to make an image perfect ?? so no reason to impress with
my renders the audience I just upload them and some of them take a LIKE
Have a good holiday, bro.
Don't take my advises as picking on you. I like your renders, forget it and do them the way you like.

vigmer

Jul 13, 2018
AlexStone has been making a lot of useful contributions to the DoD Art Assets thread lately. Kudos!

Anyways, I spent a little time locating an asset related to his efforts, and threw this together just for fun...

Not my best Tracy related work, but still worth sharing IMHO...

Also, looks like I wasn't paying attention. Dreams of Desire was initially released on March 12th, 2017, so we are past the four year anniversary by a bit. There's always year five for birthday commemorations I guess!

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes