Fan Art Dreams of Desire - Fan Art

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

jojozz

Game Developer
Apr 12, 2021
Another recipe, which has also given me a headache in my time.
How do I make a render with an HDRI backdrop so that the figures don't look disproportionately small compared to the landscape?

View attachment 1310653

Cropped render:

View attachment 1310655
I am sure there are better ways to do it but my general "technique" when HDRI backgrounds don't happen to be normal size from the get go is to have a camera and simultaneously adjust the "Focal Length" while zooming with camera if that makes sense.
Default.PNG
Default HDRI Focal length.PNG
Using Focal length and zooming into character. Hope this helps

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
I am sure there are better ways to do it but my general "technique" when HDRI backgrounds don't happen to be normal size from the get go is to have a camera and simultaneously adjust the "Focal Length" while zooming with camera if that makes sense.
View attachment 1310698
Default HDRI View attachment 1310699
Using Focal length and zooming into character. Hope this helps
Yes, that's a good method, too! But the focal length has its limits, at focal lengths below 65-50mm the camera starts to introduce its unpleasant distortions into the geometry (parts of the model closer to the camera "stick out" noticeably).

That's why I prefer to place the model itself not closer than 5 standard Daz coodrinate plates from the camera, and then play with the focal length.

That is, it is better to combine these two approaches.

Reactions: jojozz

jojozz

Game Developer
Apr 12, 2021
Yes, that's a good method, too! But the focal length has its limits, at focal lengths below 65-50mm the camera starts to introduce its unpleasant distortions into the geometry (parts of the model closer to the camera "stick out" noticeably).

That's why I prefer to place the model itself not closer than 5 standard Daz coodrinate plates from the camera, and then play with the focal length.

That is, it is better to combine these two approaches.
That's fair, I will definitely look into it more and mess around an let you know if I come up with a better solution!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Hey guys! Just jumping in here r.e. the HDRI discussion.

Something that you can do is to set the 'Dome and Scene' to Finite Sphere, than play around with the scalars and dome radius thingie that appear when you do this. I was doing this just this morning. A few of the Daz HDRI scene products already put these to use.

It's not perfect either, but this way you can scale up/down the sphere a bit.

The other thing that you can do is to do the render in two passes, one with just the character in the lighting environment (dome off), casting the ground shadow on a transparent background, then render the HDRI scene separately using various camera focus/length tricks and merge the character + background in Photoshop.

Another trick is to put an object (say a plane primitive or a handy rock or a car or something) underneath the character, to make the 'HDRI ground' less prominent in the foreground, but that doesn't directly apply to the discussion here. Not DoD related but this is a handy example of this:

The HDRI is essntially just a skydome at his point though, but you get the idea. This is a great way to get around the 'fuzzy ground' issue that comes up when working with HDRIs.

Some HDRIs are just scaled better and are more useful than others though. The Fairy HDRI environments come immediately to mind, but that's a situation where you want the background elements to look very oversized.

Here's an example of where the HDRI was just 'spot on', hence not much adjustment needed...

Not much to say here really other than to keep expanding your HDRI library and experiment with them. They are 'lazy' but oh so useful sometimes! HDRI haven (now ) is an awesome resource! The HDRI in the image above image is a 'paid' resource though.

Anyways, I just wanted to mention the finite sphere scalars/adjusters thing. Since I don't like to post in fanart threads without sharing a relevant pic, here's an oldie that I posted before that came out pretty well...

Getting the lightning bolt to look decent took a few passes (bloom, etc.) and a bit of layering in post work, but I think it was worth the effort. HDRI in the background of course, but no fun scaling tricks here, as it's an aerial image with fuzzy clouds and such, so much more forgiving.

Last edited:

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
Hey guys! Just jumping in here r.e. the HDRI discussion.

Something that you can do is to set the 'Dome and Scene' to Finite Sphere, than play around with the scalars and dome radius thingie that appear when you do this. I was doing this just this morning. A few of the Daz HDRI scene products already put these to use.
Yes, OhWee, I had completely forgotten about the 'finite sphere' trick, it often helps. So, in general, there are three approaches on how to 'land' a character on HDRI: place character far from camera and zoom/crop image, play with camera focal distance or put dome to finite sphere and adjust its radius.

And, as always, render:

AliceHEpOutfit.jpg

Alice: Brother, I've been practicing all day my second... hole!

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes