LordHybrid

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2021
What good is opacity if you can't even read the text, because of the color. Even reading-glasses would hardly help.
The game would benefit from some normal text and textbox.
Took a look at it and realized that the color WASN'T black for the letter so apologies for that. And did some font hunting and found a font that's more legible. So should be all set now :V

Reactions: Aground9437

Ka1tzer

Jan 12, 2023
I haven't played the game yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt (gonna start playing right after I post this).

I came across the game very recently as I was looking for new games I'd potentially like. I always do some "research" before playing anything new nowadays, which means combing through the game's thread and last couple of dev update reports. Mostly to look for/filter out content that'd make me want to delete the game if I come across it while playing by surprise.

I want to point out a couple of things I've seen for the ppl that play this game and also the dev, as I'm currently completely unbiased on account of having not experienced the game yet:

- The sprite thing: it's really not a big deal, and some people seem to be making a storm in a tea cup. I say this with confidence simply because there are several AA and even AAA games out there that make use of this style *A LOT* and this doesn't hurt it's narrative at all. In fact it allows the devs to pump it full of narrative content. Ever heard of the "Persona" series? Or pretty much any games done by Vanillaware (Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, Unicorn Overlord) or games by Supergiant Games (Bastion, Transistor, Pyre, Hades)? Some of those aren't sprite per sé, but they all use a simplified way of transmitting the bulk of the narrative and dialogs.

Of course that for important scenes the sprite style doesn't cut it, as the major advantage of an AVN is the visual element, as it can impart things to the reader that a traditional book with no visual elements (pick any book without pictures, from Harry Potter to Lord of the Rings) can't and rely on the readers imagination to fill in gaps, potentially missing some key elements that the author wanted to impart. It all boils down to how well the author can write and convey tone through writing.

I can understand that it feels like a loss if tons of effort were being put into every single small aspect of the novel, but it clearly meant that to keep that kind of quality a lot of time had to be sacrificed. Which meant that super small couple of updates.

I'll try the game having that in mind, hoping for a good and satisfying narrative, not minding too much about the manner that the narrative is being presented. I suggest all readers adjust their expectations and do the same.

- Dev's level of responsiveness and interactivity: This dev seems to be pretty active, responsive and open about the game's development. He also gives regular updates and doesn't keep his audience in the dark, keeps his word even if it means small updates (with the whole 2 month cycle thing). Say whatever you want about the guy and your perceptions of the game, but this kind of work ethic alone garners *a lot* of positive points with me.

Without naming names, there are some games that started out with incredible and amazing promises, but that have been 'stuck in dev hell" with barely any updates to the game's audience in months, close to a year. All we get is the occasional "dev is still cooking" and "game's not abandoned!" and nothing else.

So with all that said, I hope the dev won't take the negativity that some people are transmitting over the sprite thing too much and keep on doing his thing. I'll go and try the game now and hope that the narrative is actually good, so that this post doesn't serve as an embarrassing moment of me putting my shoe in my mouth, haha.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: LordHybrid

kev3000

Sep 1, 2018
- The sprite thing: it's really not a big deal, and some people seem to be making a storm in a tea cup. [...] In fact it allows the devs to pump it full of narrative content. [...]

Of course that for important scenes the sprite style doesn't cut it, as the major advantage of an AVN is the visual element, [...]. It all boils down to how well the author can write and convey tone through writing.

I can understand that it feels like a loss if tons of effort were being put into every single small aspect of the novel, but it clearly meant that to keep that kind of quality a lot of time had to be sacrificed. Which meant that super small couple of updates.

I'll try the game having that in mind, hoping for a good and satisfying narrative, not minding too much about the manner that the narrative is being presented. I suggest all readers adjust their expectations and do the same.
I didn't say it was a "big deal", I said it was a huge loss of quality, which it is (you said it yourself).
And with the presentation of this "new sprite system" we have a very little update...

That's why i said that i hope for the next update (either a big update with real story progression or an abandon of this "new system").

Play the game with this update and only then tell me that this update was not disappointing.

4.70 star(s) 51 Votes