3D-Daz Early character studies for future game - no name yet

Warscared

Jan 26, 2021
Trying to start figuring out the framework of the programming for the game (I've been learning some Python). So far I have identified over 70 variables I need to define and track for all the actions, paths, and options the game will require.... and I'm not done yet :eek:. I might have to cut down the number of girls (it is starting to look like "WVM" at this point :ROFLMAO:) or simplify the story a bunch - both things I really don't want to do (I'm too in love with all my girls and the story flows at this point)

question: are 10 potential love interests (with harem, partial harem, and solo being options) too many? The story will support them, but it might take a while to make all the paths and the central story involves all of them but that can be streamlined for fewer main love interests. I am already considering dropping two of them, either because of difficulties with making their sets and environments the way I want them to be or an awkward storyline.

Basic story will not change

Vidal, I know you'll say "one is enough for me!" but I do need to give you some options to pick from. Just to make is harder on you - the blonde is NOT going to be the one with attitude! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10 (more hotties, longer dev cycle, more complexity, more "scenes")
8 (few hotties, slightly shorter dev cycle, slightly less complex, fewer "scenes")
<8 (less of "more" and more of "less" :ROFLMAO:)
go play and check life with mary on how to create your own 1st game!

you are diving into deeper water and i do not believe you have learned how to swimm!

kiss it and stick with it... Keep It Simple Stupid!

Sep 3, 2020
Trying to start figuring out the framework of the programming for the game (I've been learning some Python). So far I have identified over 70 variables I need to define and track for all the actions, paths, and options the game will require.... and I'm not done yet :eek:. I might have to cut down the number of girls (it is starting to look like "WVM" at this point :ROFLMAO:) or simplify the story a bunch - both things I really don't want to do (I'm too in love with all my girls and the story flows at this point)

question: are 10 potential love interests (with harem, partial harem, and solo being options) too many? The story will support them, but it might take a while to make all the paths and the central story involves all of them but that can be streamlined for fewer main love interests. I am already considering dropping two of them, either because of difficulties with making their sets and environments the way I want them to be or an awkward storyline.

Basic story will not change

Vidal, I know you'll say "one is enough for me!" but I do need to give you some options to pick from. Just to make is harder on you - the blonde is NOT going to be the one with attitude! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10 (more hotties, longer dev cycle, more complexity, more "scenes")
8 (few hotties, slightly shorter dev cycle, slightly less complex, fewer "scenes")
<8 (less of "more" and more of "less" :ROFLMAO:)
that's an interesting question

I would say that add as many girls as you want but I prefer a game

with a small number of love interest

it results in a better game and better stories for each girl

and if there's a girl you like that you have to take out you can always make

a sequel game with a different MC

you can always add the girl in that game

in my opinion, if you add too many girls to a game you can end up ruining the game

look at intertwined for example. The game has way too many girls

and not enough story for each girl that game ads

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
go play and check life with mary on how to create your own 1st game!

you are diving into deeper water and i do not believe you have learned how to swimm!

kiss it and stick with it... Keep It Simple Stupid!
that's an interesting question

I would say that add as many girls as you want but I prefer a game

with a small number of love interest

it results in a better game and better stories for each girl

and if there's a girl you like that you have to take out you can always make

a sequel game with a different MC

you can always add the girl in that game

in my opinion, if you add too many girls to a game you can end up ruining the game

look at intertwined for example. The game has way too many girls

and not enough story for each girl that game ads
Yeah, that's my worry. This was supposed to be a simple game to get some experience, but as my skills have improved and I keep thinking about the story - it grows. Once you start telling a story, the details or other options keep jumping in. My ability to tell the story visually is growing so I feel comfortable with it. It's really when I started laying out the framework for the programming that I realized it was getting too big again and that the development cycle for later releases were going to get long. I have already cut the two girls in question and restructured the story to cut their parts even before anybody voted (putting down in writing kind of made it clearer to me). I may even scale it back more, but I'm worried it would gut the story too much. I may simplify/shorten some quest chains and put scenes I had planned as part of the quest story into the epilog just as eye-candy. Dropping those two girls already take 14 variables out of the programming. Dropping a complicating plot point (won't give away the spoiler) drops another 8.

I originally laid it out as a completely linear visual novel, then realized that I kind of get bored with no choices so started figuring out how to tell the story as a choice-driven game. Once I did that the flood gates were open :eek::ROFLMAO:

I guess I knew the right thing to do, I just wanted some feedback and validation from the people who have been tracking this with me ;). I'm also afraid of disappointing people, at least the one's who's opinions matter to me :love:.

Sep 3, 2020
Yeah, that's my worry. This was supposed to be a simple game to get some experience, but as my skills have improved and I keep thinking about the story - it grows. Once you start telling a story, the details or other options keep jumping in. My ability to tell the story visually is growing so I feel comfortable with it. It's really when I started laying out the framework for the programming that I realized it was getting too big again and that the development cycle for later releases were going to get long. I have already cut the two girls in question and restructured the story to cut their parts even before anybody voted (putting down in writing kind of made it clearer to me). I may even scale it back more, but I'm worried it would gut the story too much. I may simplify/shorten some quest chains and put scenes I had planned as part of the quest story into the epilog just as eye-candy. Dropping those two girls already take 14 variables out of the programming. Dropping a complicating plot point (won't give away the spoiler) drops another 8.

I originally laid it out as a completely linear visual novel, then realized that I kind of get bored with no choices so started figuring out how to tell the story as a choice-driven game. Once I did that the flood gates were open :eek::ROFLMAO:

I guess I knew the right thing to do, I just wanted some feedback and validation from the people who have been tracking this with me ;). I'm also afraid of disappointing people, at least the one's who's opinions matter to me :love:.
you don't ever have to worry about disappointing us just make the game you love

we always got your back

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
you don't ever have to worry about disappointing us just make the game you love

we always got your back
I totally agreed with Vidal the king of Pervert here.
Develop the game you want to make.
Sure, it's not a bad idea to ask the opinions of the (future) players. I think we could give some valuable advises.
But in the end, do the things you like and are comfortable to do.
Maybe some people will be disappointed, but anyway you can't please everyone.

I know it's hard, I tend to have the same problem, wanted to go big from the start. But I think you should start small.
Maybe just 3-4 LI at first. See how the things are going, and then add more if you feel confident you can do it.
If the structure of your story allows it, you can split it into several chapters. And add 1 or 2 new LI in each chapter.
So, this is my advise... that you can completely ignore :)
As long as there is at least one brunette and one redhead, with freckles, curvy, voluptuous but not over-exaggerated bosom, and nice bush ;)

Aug 16, 2022
Count me as another vote that you should start small, because you are still learning all the things, and if we've learned anything at all by now it must be that making a VN is a lot harder than it looks.

Reactions: HogRocket

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
I totally agreed with Vidal the king of Pervert here.
Develop the game you want to make.
Sure, it's not a bad idea to ask the opinions of the (future) players. I think we could give some valuable advises.
But in the end, do the things you like and are comfortable to do.
Maybe some people will be disappointed, but anyway you can't please everyone.

I know it's hard, I tend to have the same problem, wanted to go big from the start. But I think you should start small.
Maybe just 3-4 LI at first. See how the things are going, and then add more if you feel confident you can do it.
If the structure of your story allows it, you can split it into several chapters. And add 1 or 2 new LI in each chapter.
So, this is my advise... that you can completely ignore :)
As long as there is at least one brunette and one redhead, with freckles, curvy, voluptuous but not over-exaggerated bosom, and nice bush ;)
ALWAYS going to be a redhead in my work! ;) Almost always a brunette. Freckles are a must as well. "Curvy" and "voluptuous" are somewhat subjective so I'm not sure how well I'll do there but let me say that cartoon balloon boobs and asses are one of the biggest turn offs for me, either RL or virtual :LOL:. As to bush, you'll just have to play and see; won't you ;):love:
Part of my problem is I keep falling in love with my girls! :love:. I'll try an new character or combination, and instead of replacing one - I just want to add her :ROFLMAO:. The way my story is constructed, I kind of need to at least introduce them all at about the same time. Their content will come update by update but you need to know who they are. As much as the story works with 8 now, I may strip it down to less and tell a shorter, simpler, story (which was the idea originally to prepare for a long, complicated, darker story later) and not worry about telling the "best" story, but a "good" story.......and basically not fucking everything up :eek::oops::ROFLMAO:

Great renders and themes in this thread. Mind sharing the assets? primaly the clothings.
Any specific clothing? Mostly because I'd have to go to the file and look at what it is :LOL:
I've changed things so many times I can't remember shit anymore. Should have kept a log.

Count me as another vote that you should start small, because you are still learning all the things, and if we've learned anything at all by now it must be that making a VN is a lot harder than it looks.
Yeah, I knew it wouldn't be easy but now I just want to slap the shit out of people who bitch at devs about how long an update takes :mad:.
When my game goes live, I am not going to be polite or gentle with people like that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I am going to warn that my updates will take a long time. I have a full life outside of making free game content :sneaky:

EDIT: 9 Sept

My agonizing over cutting out girls I love to make a smaller, easier story has turned everything on its head. Cutting down the # of girls made the story awkward, so trying to smooth the story back out characters came and went, got changed, got modified, got bigger parts, got smaller parts (no body parts changed though :ROFLMAO: ). Some crowd fav's might disappear (from this game) and some new girls may become crowd fav's - we'll have to see. ;)
The story is still essentially the same (at a high level) but a lot of the smaller paths are going to change. The good thing is this should make it easier in the long run and hopefully better. The good news is probably 90% of the Daz3d work I've done is still going to work. Some scenes will change, some will get a character swap, a couple will be brand new. Most of the introduction scenery is done, just need to add some more different layouts of them to fill in. The bulk of the changes will be with the girls that I've just done a "home" scene for and not much of their interaction scenes. I'm trying to get the scenes after the introduction blocked in and the story set in stone-ish before doing the detail work to fill out the intro and then script it and start the Ren'Py learning process.

Progress my minions! Progress! Sometimes you have to take 10 steps back to make one leap forward.

Last edited:

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
ALWAYS going to be a redhead in my work!
YES!!!!

Almost always a brunette.
YES again!!!!

Freckles are a must as well.
Still YES!!!!

"Curvy" and "voluptuous" are somewhat subjective so I'm not sure how well I'll do there but let me say that cartoon balloon boobs and asses are one of the biggest turn offs for me, either RL or virtual
Well, I'm not a fan of slim flat girls, I prefer full-figured women.
I really like big boobs, but in lot of game they are often exaggerated. I like realistic big boobs, not helium-filled ones. :)

As I know you're a mythos fan, Rain as definitively the kind of body I like in a woman.

As to bush, you'll just have to play and see; won't you ;):love:
Ok... I will play it, then...
:)

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Damnit! I get a big burst of inspiration and get a new, more refined, story for the info. Need to get some renders done to see if I can make what I visualize then get the story down in more detail......

I'm leaving in the morning for 4 days and won't have access to my computer (and won't be in a situation where I could work on it if I did). Going to take a notebook in case I get some privacy and can do some writing

Shit, I hope I can keep all this straight until Tuesday. Gonna be tired as shit and am leaving town again the Friday too!
:eek::eek::cry::(:cautious::eek:

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
complete rework, everything's scrapped, starting over.

no, that's a lie. Just had a thought to drag out the prologue quite a bit give the prologue a little more backstory. Several new assets to develop and sets to deal with, but should help make people cry set the stage for the latter story better.

Minor spoiler, you get to see the MC as a teenager, and maaaaaaybe some people that might be recognizable from other places ;)

Warscared

Jan 26, 2021
complete rework, everything's scrapped, starting over.

no, that's a lie. Just had a thought to drag out the prologue quite a bit give the prologue a little more backstory. Several new assets to develop and sets to deal with, but should help make people cry set the stage for the latter story better.

Minor spoiler, you get to see the MC as a teenager, and maaaaaaybe some people that might be recognizable from other places ;)
you better write a proper story or i will stomp on your balls!

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
Ok, a couple of teaser images of young MC.

View attachment 2113474
I had to composite 3 layered renders to get close to the image I wanted. This one will take further refining if I use it.

Yeah, doesn't show the kids much but I like it.
View attachment 2113476
Wow! Love them Hog, great work especially the second where they are looking at the moon, is fantastic.:love::love: