Ren'Py Early life crisis (a mid life crisis fan game) update#4 Oct 5/24

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
My first impression was how quiet the game was. Music or ambience would add so much to the atmosphere, so I'd probably do that first. SFX can be added later.

Some of Christine's fingering animations were smooth, so nice job there. What tool do you use for animation? And what tool did you use to draw the cum?

For the names, I'd suggest using Christine instead of Christine's Thoughts, and just use italics every time she's thinking. It would be smoother that way.

I never played Midlife Crisis so I don't know if there was choices in the game, but I think your game could improve a lot with choices. Here are some examples I quickly came up with. Choosing to:
- Tell Sarah to be quiet if she's talking too loudly
- Talk loudly to make sure Steve hears
- Touch his dick at the hotel
- Take off your top at the hotel
- Move closer to the balcony to hear better
- Taste the cum or not
- Walk in front of Steve at the pool

Ultimately, these choices would improve or reduce the player's chances of getting with Steve or how much they can do with Steve. Or possibly get with Sarah as well. There are so many ways to put players in a situation where they risk getting a negative response from Sarah or Steve. It would create tension and help players get invested in the story by letting them decide what to do next.

Most of the writing is ok, you probably just need an editor and maybe a game designer to help plan out the scene choices.

I also hit an error, so I attached the error log. I was still able to continue after clicking a few times.
thanks for all the feed back! I love getting specific suggestions! I will definitely change the ‘thoughts’ to all italics.

edit : done chapters 1&2 edits for the italics. Took 45 min! Not looking forward to doing rest of game. :) hopefully it helps when I post next update.

I can look at adding more choices, but I am not sure I would be so great at the coding to make sure that I don’t keep referencing things the player chose not to occur. I am planing to have a few choices in the next short update. But they are more like which character does what with Steve and where a cum shot goes.

animation is just done with daz and then displaying individual images in renpy. If you have a text editor you can check them out in the animation.rpy file.
the cum is a daz resource. I can link it when I am back at my rig.

Last edited:

DNS01W

Mar 19, 2020
Only just discovered this.
Just looked at 0.4.
Love it.

Do hope that Noegrets keeps up the good fight and keeps adding to it.
So far it pushes all the right kink buttons. Do hope he adds the aunt and niece into the mix.

Reactions: zibi

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
Only just discovered this.
Just looked at 0.4.
Love it.

Do hope that Noegrets keeps up the good fight and keeps adding to it.
So far it pushes all the right kink buttons. Do hope he adds the aunt and niece into the mix.
Thanks for the feed back! I’m glad you liked it. Sister and nieces assets are on sale right now. Tempting to get them!

Reactions: zibi and mofonistik

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
Are there any major issues anyone is notice with the current version? I’m thinking of posting to main page but want to make sure it’s reasonably playable first. Next version (chapter 5) is at least 1 week away.

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
I didn't have any problems with a playthrough of 0.4.
That’s great. Thanks so much. Do you think my play through estimate is reasonable at 30-60 min. Guides say divide total words by 10,000/hour. And it’s a bit over 10k. But I’m not sure it’s takes that long. Don’t want to be misleading.

SonsOfLiberty

Post Pro
Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
Early life crisis (a mid life crisis fan game) [v0.4][Noegrets]

COMPRESSED:

Win/Linux:
- -

Mac:
- -

phdusa1

Aug 18, 2018
Unofficial compressed Android port for Early life crisis [update 4] [Noegret]

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Download android port
(346 MB)

For other host links & requesting ports please join my discord:

Like my ports? you can tip and support me here:

*This unofficial port/mod is not released by developer, download at your own risk.

lazy_potato

Aug 26, 2019
Just found this thread. Looks really good so far.
As for feedback, the renders seem pretty nice. There are some images like the first kissing scene in the bathroom which are really washed out/low quality. Sometimes there is a bit of poke through like the Christine bj scene. I know it might be intended but it still looks weird. Also some of the expressions seem off... sometimes over the top, sometimes emotionless. You should make sure to hide your light source properly, in image "c4s011" and sometimes in the pool kissing scene you can see a white disk.
As for the dialogue, you should NOT use lines like "she responds", "she teases", "she observes"... in the dialogue text. Just think the textbox is a speech bubble, only text that is spoken. I like the thoughts in italic but somehow there is not much difference to the normal text, it's probably the font. You can also put thoughts in () or use something like *thinking*. If you use something like *Giggles* or *Blushes* put it infront of the rest of the text. I would remove all the choices were you only have 1 option to choose. The font for the main menu seems pretty small, you might want to increase the size there.
A little tip, if you set renpy to a resolution of 1920x1080, you should have all images in this resolution. It is easier to work with, instead of scaling all the images down or use the zoom command.
Hope this helps. If you need help with some of the stuff feel free to reach out.

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
Just found this thread. Looks really good so far.
As for feedback, the renders seem pretty nice. There are some images like the first kissing scene in the bathroom which are really washed out/low quality. Sometimes there is a bit of poke through like the Christine bj scene. I know it might be intended but it still looks weird. Also some of the expressions seem off... sometimes over the top, sometimes emotionless. You should make sure to hide your light source properly, in image "c4s011" and sometimes in the pool kissing scene you can see a white disk.
As for the dialogue, you should NOT use lines like "she responds", "she teases", "she observes"... in the dialogue text. Just think the textbox is a speech bubble, only text that is spoken. I like the thoughts in italic but somehow there is not much difference to the normal text, it's probably the font. You can also put thoughts in () or use something like *thinking*. If you use something like *Giggles* or *Blushes* put it infront of the rest of the text. I would remove all the choices were you only have 1 option to choose. The font for the main menu seems pretty small, you might want to increase the size there.
A little tip, if you set renpy to a resolution of 1920x1080, you should have all images in this resolution. It is easier to work with, instead of scaling all the images down or use the zoom command.
Hope this helps. If you need help with some of the stuff feel free to reach out.
Thanks for the feed back. The low quality renders are a few left from when I made the renders at 1920x1080. They didn’t seem integral to the experience so I didn’t rerender them (while bathroom scene). Renpy didn’t seem to have a 4 k setting and changing the image size in the rpy was much faster for me than changing every image manually which was extremely time consuming. The 4 k images I think look much better?

Will try to change the font! And I will look at changing dialog. But I really would prefer to keep progressing the story over re-editing the early game more. Can do for ingoing story if people hate it.

The single choice parts are always followed by animations and were placed to prevent missing them by auto scrolling. Could be removed if bother many though.

The poke through on the animations is so frustrating. I rendered those scenes 4 separate times. Can’t see the poke through on my rig till rendered. Then I also individually edited the images to fix the worst errors after :/. The same issues happened with expressions. So I tired to rerender all the ones in game that looked off. I can redo specific ones if you think they are distracting.

Thanks again.

Reactions: GershGersh

lazy_potato

Aug 26, 2019
The latest version of renpy does have 4k when you start a new project. You can also change the resolution in the gui.rpy but this might fuck with gui default images. Yeah, the 4k images look way better.
You don't have to change the font, tbf I really like it but the italic looks very similar to the normal, just what I think.
You can see most poke throughs with the "Smooth Shaded" view in daz. But yeah hair is a bitch, in some poses it's ok, in the next not. Well, with the bj scene why you didn't remove the swim trunks/let Christine fully undress him or let her pull them way more down? Would make it much easier.

Reactions: Noegrets

Chevy2ss

May 11, 2021
Thank you for your efforts you've done a great job ;) maybe a little to early to ask but maybe a little morning sickness for someone else just asking
<3 :D

Nizzquizz

Oct 20, 2017
I like (and often even outright prefer) the well done female protag games, and the one downside of Midlife Crisis was always the lack of proper Christine content in my book, soooo this is just right for me - thank you Noegrets!

eyethotknot

May 15, 2019
textbox.png
Above is a transparent textbox PNG you might consider using instead of the slightly shaded version you have now. Good luck on the game!