3.20 star(s) 23 Votes

SS4312

Nov 3, 2018
Dammit, evolution was also crashing a patrons game, while they ran it inside a nested Windows OS on their Linux machine. But specifically this was happening for them, while running WINE 8. Something with evolution isn't translating then, to workable code in the non-windows export. Ima make this medium-high priority bug.
Does that mean it will get a hotfix, or be patched with the August release?

Feb 6, 2021
is the there no way to catch new monsters when you have 6? no way to store them?
Is the only way to catch new ones by releaseing the ones you already have?

Orckingdom28

May 2, 2018
Spent a few hours getting all unlcoks only for them to go away. Neat. Also camp sex is still a gameover. And of course the best game mechanic ever invented - hunger, because who does'nt like using items from the bag to have bar go up. All for the sake of realism, which we all know always helps any game to be 500% more fun, because, well, it's realism. All praise realism, the most important part of any game.

cheatshitboy

Aug 13, 2020
Does this game have an actual gallery or is it just the stable. Game really needs an actual save system considering everything gets wiped once you close the game.

Reactions: eternal_zealot

preferax

May 25, 2020
is the there no way to catch new monsters when you have 6? no way to store them?
Evolved monsters can be moved to the stable from your party, unevolved monsters cannot- if you have a full party of unevolved monsters, you will need to either use evo stones and transfer them, or release one. You do get benefits for releasing monsters, so it's not a loss to continually cycle out unevolved mons.

Fox.Mulder

Jul 31, 2017
Is there any way to change the keybinds for this game? For whatever reason I just cannot come to grips with the ones it uses lol, I think the RPGM layout is too ingrained into my brain haha. Or even let us use the mouse to select stuff? You can to change the volume but nothing else...

giantspikedclub

Jul 18, 2018
I took a couple notes that I'm sure you've likely gotten before, but I'll spill them here anyways:

• The game slowly starts to run worse and worse the longer the game is open. I'd need more time to really test how it works, but I felt decreased performance over time even when the game was just left idol and paused. Lemme know if you want more detailed followup on this, I'm keeping it vague because I figure this has been reported before. This also seems to effect how quickly sprint recharges (much slower, even relative to the game's speed). Ran a second instance of the game at the same time and the second instance was running at the default 60fps as intended upon opening. Also this causes extra issues when comboed with the fact that you can't save progress and reload the game to refresh the performance, which I get is part of the roguelike element, but if longer sessions is the goal then performance is gonna be a killer.

• I'm not convinced of the sprint meter as a mechanic. I'm sure you have some ideas with how you'll implement it in the future (maybe getting chased on the overworld or some such?), but for now it's just a bit of repetitive stop and go that gets annoying (though the previous bug chunking the recharge speed is where most of my frustration comes in). I'd personally at least have a debug infinite sprint for backers or some such, though I'm not a backer so maybe that's already a thing and I'm none the wiser.

Game making ain't easy; best of luck, I'm looking forward to where this project goes!

• Thinking Face
Reactions: GreenPotato

Invader Incubus

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2023
My only major complaint right now is the lack of persistence for achievements.
I am about to deploy the replacement for that feature in a few days.

Add cheats plz
No real plans to do this, but maybe, Ill add it to the board. I think people liked the full-party quick-start we had during testing last release. Might do that periodically.

I hopefully fixed this for the next patch, it was annoying me too and kept getting commented on. Going forward if your party is already full the unevolved monster gets sent to the STABLE.

Spent a few hours getting all unlcoks only for them to go away. Neat. Also camp sex is still a gameover. And of course the best game mechanic ever invented - hunger, because who does'nt like using items from the bag to have bar go up. All for the sake of realism, which we all know always helps any game to be 500% more fun, because, well, it's realism. All praise realism, the most important part of any game.
Ya I ripped out the unlocks save function, the system it will be replaced with is actually coming in a few days. Instead you will permanently earn EXP and then buy upgrades in the base.

Does this game have an actual gallery or is it just the stable. Game really needs an actual save system considering everything gets wiped once you close the game.
Save-like / progress function is actually coming in a few days. I have no plans to add a gallery ever, but I suspect eventually someone might get around to capping everything and throwing it up somewhere.

Is there any way to change the keybinds for this game? For whatever reason I just cannot come to grips with the ones it uses lol, I think the RPGM layout is too ingrained into my brain haha. Or even let us use the mouse to select stuff? You can to change the volume but nothing else...
This is planned for some point in the future. I intentionally designed the game to be playable with your left hand having easy access to the keys it needs...

I took a couple notes that I'm sure you've likely gotten before, but I'll spill them here anyways:

• The game slowly starts to run worse and worse the longer the game is open. I'd need more time to really test how it works, but I felt decreased performance over time even when the game was just left idol and paused. Lemme know if you want more detailed followup on this, I'm keeping it vague because I figure this has been reported before. This also seems to effect how quickly sprint recharges (much slower, even relative to the game's speed). Ran a second instance of the game at the same time and the second instance was running at the default 60fps as intended upon opening. Also this causes extra issues when comboed with the fact that you can't save progress and reload the game to refresh the performance, which I get is part of the roguelike element, but if longer sessions is the goal then performance is gonna be a killer.

• I'm not convinced of the sprint meter as a mechanic. I'm sure you have some ideas with how you'll implement it in the future (maybe getting chased on the overworld or some such?), but for now it's just a bit of repetitive stop and go that gets annoying (though the previous bug chunking the recharge speed is where most of my frustration comes in). I'd personally at least have a debug infinite sprint for backers or some such, though I'm not a backer so maybe that's already a thing and I'm none the wiser.

Game making ain't easy; best of luck, I'm looking forward to where this project goes!
Thanks, I am dying to figure out where the memory leak or garbage collection is happening. The game starts to slow and then any process tied to the frame update starts to wig out.
The sprint meter is going to make more sense when wandering monsters that can chase you get added to the overworld.

Okay, I still have loads of time to work on EGGOMON so expect an update Wed / Thursday guys.

Here's how the supply system works: The game will save 4 types of experience persistently, meaning for now I only have to track 4 integers. When you start a run every 100 exp becomes 1 Supply point. You spend supply points on upgrades that are functionally the same as achievements, they can make you struggle or flee better, give you more items, give you fruits or stones, ect.

giantspikedclub

Jul 18, 2018
Thanks, I am dying to figure out where the memory leak or garbage collection is happening. The game starts to slow and then any process tied to the frame update starts to wig out.
The sprint meter is going to make more sense when wandering monsters that can chase you get added to the overworld.
Ran an FPS experiment for the sake of science; I just had the program open and paused for about an hour and a half. TL;DR is that the game does lose frames over time gradually just by being open (though not on the title screen, I tried that for an hour on a separate boot of the program and didn't get any frames dropped), the frames start dropping about a half an hour in, and drop to about 25 FPS by one and a half hours of being open. By the end it was putting the most load on my 2nd core, spiking quite high compared to the other cores and also compared to how it performs on opening the program fresh.

However, it's worth noting that the frames deteriorate way quicker when actually playing the game; with 5 evolved monsters and most/all items collected from the meadow and moving on to the forest, I was already getting 40 fps by the 15 minute runtime mark (going back to the meadow raised up to 45). Not sure if that means multiple different leaks or if playing just exasperates the leak that's there, hope it's the latter for the sake of simplicity.

Ran on an ASUS Zenbook Flip and used FPS Monitor to check frames. Hope the data helps somehow!

Last edited:

Invader Incubus

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2023
Ran an FPS experiment for the sake of science; I just had the program open and paused for about an hour and a half. TL;DR is that the game does lose frames over time gradually just by being open (though not on the title screen, I tried that for an hour on a separate boot of the program and didn't get any frames dropped), the frames start dropping about a half an hour in, and drop to about 25 FPS by one and a half hours of being open. By the end it was putting the most load on my 2nd core, spiking quite high compared to the other cores and also compared to how it performs on opening the program fresh.

However, it's worth noting that the frames deteriorate way quicker when actually playing the game; with 5 evolved monsters and most/all items collected from the meadow and moving on to the forest, I was already getting 40 fps by the 15 minute runtime mark (going back to the meadow raised up to 45). Not sure if that means multiple different leaks or if playing just exasperates the leak that's there, hope it's the latter for the sake of simplicity.

Ran on an ASUS Zenbook Flip and used FPS Monitor to check frames. Hope the data helps somehow!
I think I am onto it now. There's something fucky wucky going on when the game creates and deletes (I think deletes more likely) Eggomon. Like in Pokemon, the engine creates a new monster from the stored resources then grafts all the relevant data from the unevolved monster onto the new evolved one, then deletes the old monster (think of this in terms of data, which is what your beloved pokemon is). Godot is being a bitch with pulling things from resources though. First the resource has to be called into the aether, and LOADED outside the root scene, which means it is then stored in memory. Once it is in memory it can THEN be summoned (instanced) into "being" and become a node that exists on the tree. The node is placed in the correct place as I instance it.

This is also somewhat problematic because each monster is a node (think obj from unity) with a script attached. I literally child it to the relevant node player-party / stables when it is spawn in or evolved or moved whatever. Because I am retarded and inexperienced with Godot, (great engine, recommend it btw) has weak deep tutorials and no easy top level way to watch what data is floating around loaded in memory, nodes I am instancing are building up out of sight. This is why encountering more monsters, evolving your monsters, moving to new zones, are slowing down the game and why my stupid method of testing this, which was standing around doing jack all, was not showing results. I need to reread how instancing shit works, and how to delete it properly, and how to see all this shit in real time. Going to bed for now but that's what I will be doing tomorrow.

_fuckerhowl

Mar 23, 2024
this is already pretty decent.
though IMO it's a bit of a shame that getting bred is a game over instead of a game mechanic. i mean the game has "egg" in the title so i feel like it would be fitting.

some other people already noted the memory leak and lack of save/load functionality, so i won't talk about them.

on another note the movement controls are a bit strange.
left/right overwrite up/down but not the other way around. so if you're holding up/down if you then hold left/right it will stop moving up/down and move left/right instead. but if you reverse the scenario, ie you hold left/right and then press up/down, nothing happens.
i feel like that's not very intuitive and the horizontal/vertical movement pairs should either overwrite eachother equally or allow for diagonal movement.

also i had the feeling that i got stuck at the corner of tiles pretty often, so some corner snapping (ie check if the player is walking into the outer 1/4th of a solid tile's face, check if the tile next to that is non-solid, if both are true snap the player position inline with the edge so that they can move forward) would be nice to have to make moving through winding areas better.

and lastly the stamina meter takes way too long to refill IMO (also it drains even when you're not moving). maybe do something similar to some other games, if the stamina bar is not fully depleted, refill it faster.

anyways i'd like to see where you take this game

Sheevs

Apr 19, 2018
I am about to deploy the replacement for that feature in a few days.

No real plans to do this, but maybe, Ill add it to the board. I think people liked the full-party quick-start we had during testing last release. Might do that periodically.

I hopefully fixed this for the next patch, it was annoying me too and kept getting commented on. Going forward if your party is already full the unevolved monster gets sent to the STABLE.

Ya I ripped out the unlocks save function, the system it will be replaced with is actually coming in a few days. Instead you will permanently earn EXP and then buy upgrades in the base.

Save-like / progress function is actually coming in a few days. I have no plans to add a gallery ever, but I suspect eventually someone might get around to capping everything and throwing it up somewhere.

This is planned for some point in the future. I intentionally designed the game to be playable with your left hand having easy access to the keys it needs...

Okay, I still have loads of time to work on EGGOMON so expect an update Wed / Thursday guys.

Here's how the supply system works: The game will save 4 types of experience persistently, meaning for now I only have to track 4 integers. When you start a run every 100 exp becomes 1 Supply point. You spend supply points on upgrades that are functionally the same as achievements, they can make you struggle or flee better, give you more items, give you fruits or stones, ect.
Big fan of the game!

Love the concept, art pretty much everything about it.
Any other news on the upcoming update? :3
8xzqsk.jpg

Invader Incubus

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2023
this is already pretty decent.
though IMO it's a bit of a shame that getting bred is a game over instead of a game mechanic. i mean the game has "egg" in the title so i feel like it would be fitting.

some other people already noted the memory leak and lack of save/load functionality, so i won't talk about them.

on another note the movement controls are a bit strange.
left/right overwrite up/down but not the other way around. so if you're holding up/down if you then hold left/right it will stop moving up/down and move left/right instead. but if you reverse the scenario, ie you hold left/right and then press up/down, nothing happens.
i feel like that's not very intuitive and the horizontal/vertical movement pairs should either overwrite eachother equally or allow for diagonal movement.

also i had the feeling that i got stuck at the corner of tiles pretty often, so some corner snapping (ie check if the player is walking into the outer 1/4th of a solid tile's face, check if the tile next to that is non-solid, if both are true snap the player position inline with the edge so that they can move forward) would be nice to have to make moving through winding areas better.

and lastly the stamina meter takes way too long to refill IMO (also it drains even when you're not moving). maybe do something similar to some other games, if the stamina bar is not fully depleted, refill it faster.

anyways i'd like to see where you take this game
I will be introducing an item soon that allows you to recover a scout from the stables, once.

I agree with the movement feeling a bit stilted, the player has a circular collision box slightly adjusted down to be around their feet, meanwhile many tiles are full tile filling squares. Pokemon does it better / more intuitively with a fatter / more square character sprite, who moves from tile to tile. Getting the camera to cooperate smoothly with that movement (in Godot) was hell so I settled on the more free system of movement. Ironically it worked flawlessly in Unity, but fuck Unity I moved everything to Godot ages ago, and here I will remain.

The stamina meter will get adjusted when wandering monsters that chase you, on the overworld, get added. Which is what it exists as a mechanic to counter, for now, its just a luxury ability.

Big fan of the game!

Love the concept, art pretty much everything about it.
Any other news on the upcoming update? :3
View attachment 3860909
I wanted to get a mid month update, but removing the veins of the old achievement system meant that so much had to be fixed, removed, and reshaped for the game to function. So once again I missed the 15th as a target date and then everything rolled into being done around the 22nd, and then its like; "Do I want to burn my promotion BEFORE a monthly update? Do I want "

I'm super stoked for the new update, the new EXP system is working, it makes SO much more sense than the old achievements system. You go into the base and buy perks and supplies with your hard earned POINTS (which are calculated from earned exp at the start of a run). Now I want to save the EXP earned outside of the game.exe, so people don't lose progress each update... So will look into that.

But ya, the update just needs to include MORE supply unlocks which I am polishing off right now. Cluffy and Zephyr are in my version of the game.

It is SO much better for my analytics to get 2 updates out a month, and promote the game twice a month here, so I need to get my shit together. Thankfully going forward it looks like I will just be fixing, adjusting, adding CONTENT and finishing the quest system going forward. Meaning I won't have to delay mid month updates because the HOOD is open on the damn game in order for me to rework core innards.

I am also going to do another promotion push this coming month. Nice that the game has hit a milestone of 25 animations, and 50 monsters. This month I am going to update the Dark forest, Finish the questing system with he first quest, flesh out the new caves/dens a bit. Still got time to work on the game bigly in the upcoming months.

Sheevs

Apr 19, 2018
I will be introducing an item soon that allows you to recover a scout from the stables, once.

I agree with the movement feeling a bit stilted, the player has a circular collision box slightly adjusted down to be around their feet, meanwhile many tiles are full tile filling squares. Pokemon does it better / more intuitively with a fatter / more square character sprite, who moves from tile to tile. Getting the camera to cooperate smoothly with that movement (in Godot) was hell so I settled on the more free system of movement. Ironically it worked flawlessly in Unity, but fuck Unity I moved everything to Godot ages ago, and here I will remain.

The stamina meter will get adjusted when wandering monsters that chase you, on the overworld, get added. Which is what it exists as a mechanic to counter, for now, its just a luxury ability.

I wanted to get a mid month update, but removing the veins of the old achievement system meant that so much had to be fixed, removed, and reshaped for the game to function. So once again I missed the 15th as a target date and then everything rolled into being done around the 22nd, and then its like; "Do I want to burn my promotion BEFORE a monthly update? Do I want "

I'm super stoked for the new update, the new EXP system is working, it makes SO much more sense than the old achievements system. You go into the base and buy perks and supplies with your hard earned POINTS (which are calculated from earned exp at the start of a run). Now I want to save the EXP earned outside of the game.exe, so people don't lose progress each update... So will look into that.

But ya, the update just needs to include MORE supply unlocks which I am polishing off right now. Cluffy and Zephyr are in my version of the game.

It is SO much better for my analytics to get 2 updates out a month, and promote the game twice a month here, so I need to get my shit together. Thankfully going forward it looks like I will just be fixing, adjusting, adding CONTENT and finishing the quest system going forward. Meaning I won't have to delay mid month updates because the HOOD is open on the damn game in order for me to rework core innards.

I am also going to do another promotion push this coming month. Nice that the game has hit a milestone of 25 animations, and 50 monsters. This month I am going to update the Dark forest, Finish the questing system with he first quest, flesh out the new caves/dens a bit. Still got time to work on the game bigly in the upcoming months.
Woa, thanks for the info!! Really looking forward to what the coming updates will bring ^.^

Glad to see you're so committed to this project, might be the first one I offer monetary support to. I'm positive you'll keep the soul of the game alive as you're developing it ❤
8yfli2.jpg

3.20 star(s) 23 Votes