Sadie227

May 11, 2022
Was DD2 bad? We all know 1 was good. But of 2, I've heard bad things and haven't tried it yet.
DD2 is a very, very different game than DD1 and a lot of people didn't like that about it. It's not a bad game by any means-- in fact it's quite good, but Darkest Dungeon 1 is a titan of the industry and the big style change turned off a lot of dedicated fans.

Personal opinion; it's good and you should at least give it a shot before writing it off, just don't go in expecting more of the first game, because it's very different.

dontcarewhateverno

Engaged Member
Jan 25, 2021
DD2 is a very, very different game than DD1 and a lot of people didn't like that about it. It's not a bad game by any means-- in fact it's quite good, but Darkest Dungeon 1 is a titan of the industry and the big style change turned off a lot of dedicated fans.

Personal opinion; it's good and you should at least give it a shot before writing it off, just don't go in expecting more of the first game, because it's very different.
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!

Madodev

Erodev
Game Developer
Mar 30, 2023
And I'd once again like to ask if anything happens when you complete your development goals after reaching Elite rank. I don't want to go through all that nonsense just to check if literally nothing happens.
Dev goals after elite serve absolutely no purpose.
8. Blind+ does count as Blind for that goal, if it doesn't it's a bug.
1. When you press the move it'll stay selected and you can scroll.

Thanks for the other bug reports, I'll have a look at them.

BoboHeneral

Jan 5, 2023
will there be more grapples and or battlefuck animations? Something like the animations in the Lustiest Dungeon mod for DD.

Agent_Froggy

Mar 29, 2021
I've mostly been playing with a mouse, and it can be annoying to get my adventurers to proceed to another room. May want to expand the transition area by another space (or so).
Could also be good to visually mark it out in some way.

Dots could stand to be mechanically different from eachother in some way.
For example, punish could do damage when the character uses a damaging move, rather than just tick at the start of their turn.

Bugs so far:

Consumables not showing what effects they cure.

Maybe not a bug as much as a balance issue... Easy cavern missions are HUGE, but mostly empty rooms with few encounters. My adventurers are completely out of rations before I even find enemies a lot of the time.

topguy99

Jul 19, 2023
Has anyone else had this visual bug that cuts off like half of every image? I have no idea how to fix it.

chrono12

Nov 4, 2020
Is there a "Known bugs" section?

There are goals that are not getting completed.I haven't tried to reroll them to check if it's just the character.
Some examples:
"Kill enemies of type animal"
I hunt some spider or bat girls (It says animal when you hover over them) and the number doesn't increase. I even make sure the girl with this goal deals the finishing blow.​

"End a dungeon with a parasite"
Got infected... nothing. Started a new dungeon already infected and ended it. Nothing.​

"End dungeon dealing 0 dmg"
This one was a rogue so I spammed blind when possible. I haven't tried fully spamming wait or just quitting the dungeon after entering.​

Madodev

Erodev
Game Developer
Mar 30, 2023
Is there a "Known bugs" section?

There are goals that are not getting completed.I haven't tried to reroll them to check if it's just the character.
Some examples:
"Kill enemies of type animal"
I hunt some spider or bat girls (It says animal when you hover over them) and the number doesn't increase. I even make sure the girl with this goal deals the finishing blow.​

"End a dungeon with a parasite"
Got infected... nothing. Started a new dungeon already infected and ended it. Nothing.​

"End dungeon dealing 0 dmg"
This one was a rogue so I spammed blind when possible. I haven't tried fully spamming wait or just quitting the dungeon after entering.​
Are you sure you aren't overlevelled for the dungeon? Adventurers can only complete goals when the dungeon is at their level or higher. The goals work on my version.
There's a bugs section in the Discord in case that isn't the issue.

Gubbels

Mar 27, 2019
i was struggling to win dungeons consistently until my warrior ended up with an armbinder of extreme violence and a focus visor. 20-30 damage tackles makes paladin's holy smite look silly

• Haha
Reactions: Arkus86

chrono12

Nov 4, 2020
Are you sure you aren't overlevelled for the dungeon? Adventurers can only complete goals when the dungeon is at their level or higher. The goals work on my version.
There's a bugs section in the Discord in case that isn't the issue.
Oh. That might be it. :FacePalm:

The tests were done in a novice dungeon.

Hoshi

Sep 25, 2017
And a new public version is live, enjoy!
Your workflow is fucking amazing, are you like a fucking veteran gamedev or something?
Pretty much everything added is seems like good design, and its scary the pace you update this.

Thank you Madodev, from all of us, youre one of the OGs.

Reactions: pian

Trynn

Jul 10, 2018
This was a lot more fun than I was expecting, coming from someone who never actually played Darkest Dungeon. Always intended to, never got round to it. Playing this has actually made me more inclined to get around to that. There's a good amount of variety, the opportunity for emergent storytelling is present (I have developed fondness for some of my adventurers), and the fact that you're never truly fucked makes it challenging rather than frustrating. That said, I do want to add my voice to those asking for a way to deal with cursed items, or more specifically the cursed equips enemies force on you. Climbing any character to level 3 in a class is an endeavor, having it forced upon you with no alternative but to go through that grind, regardless of your resources otherwise, is a pain in the ass. On the other hand, it's a mechanic of a game intent on being unforgiving, so a balance needs to be found.

Off the top of my head, I'd request a facility (A church?) for removing class-forcing cursed items, the maid, cow, prisoner etc, kits, but not other cursed items. And the item could be destroyed rather than only having the curse broken. An upgrade to the facility could be allowing items to be checked for curses to identify them, but not removing them. You want the items (some do have benefits), you still have to decurse them the normal way, it's your choice. As opposed to lacking the choice regarding being equipped with gear by enemies. And I'd even say it might be an idea to only allow removal of gear (one at a time) up to the point the class is changed. Because it really sucks when those self-destruct robots in the lab blow your clothes off, then you get a cow headband slapped on you and the only way to get rid of the damn thing now is to grind up to level 3. No, that didn't just happen to me, what do you mean... >.>

The limitation also adds the same element of risk/reward present in other aspects of the game. Lost your clothes? Got a tail shoved up your arse that won't come out? Do you retreat, search for the exit to cut and run, or keep grinding loot because you can get up to three bits of gear on you before it's too late, after all. But it gets rid of only having one way of dealing with stray bits of gear slapped onto you.

Alluring

Jun 2, 2022
Thanks!

Guy named Horbror, he has his own game on Itch with links to his songs:
been tryna find the one song used in the lab for ages, can you please link it or drop the name. i dug thru all of horbrors stuff and couldnt find it

Madodev

Erodev
Game Developer
Mar 30, 2023
Your workflow is fucking amazing, are you like a fucking veteran gamedev or something?
Pretty much everything added is seems like good design, and its scary the pace you update this.

Thank you Madodev, from all of us, youre one of the OGs.
Also, I forgot, leave a review if you like it.

how do you unlock the last 3 buildings?
Not in the game yet.

been tryna find the one song used in the lab for ages, can you please link it or drop the name. i dug thru all of horbrors stuff and couldnt find it
He made it specifically for this game, so it isn't publicly available. The wav files are on the Patreon though.

4.20 star(s) 52 Votes