Jan 21, 2023
I don't know why you would say OIALT was "scarier" only because it happened in real life. It was just the persecution zombie plot here and there; in Eternum it's improved and done in a more gracious way. The clever use of the camera to portray the claustrophobic and schizophrenic-inducing situation in the Red Herring server, the audio to build up the tension in Annie's date combined with the ambiguity of the origin of the singularity, or even the different bits of the story that construct the plot of both worlds colliding. No scene in OIALT made me feel more sick to the stomach than the final scene in 0.5. No disrespect to his first game, it's just that Eternum is a couple miles better in every aspect, unless you like repetitive, silly, cartoonish comedy (and that's not an insult, it's about preference).
Lack of consequence is what makes me think the OIALT scenes are scarier. Yeah the scenes are set up better in Eternum's red herring server but nothing is going to happen to the MC if the Mrs Fink gets to you which is why it did not work for me. Same with the annie date. If the monsters get to you no big deal. At least for me for horror scenes to work there needs to be consequences and a scene with praetorians chasing after Orion would be a lot more scary than Mrs Fink or the Xenomorphs because unlike them the praetorians can excommunicate/kill you. The only horror scenes in eternum that worked for me were the smaller dream sequences.

And the final scene of 0.5 was not scary/disturbing to me at all. Mostly because a lot of people had already theorized here the NPCs were dead people. Personally I found it more interesting than scary - it made me want to learn more about the plot and what comes next as opposed to disturbing me. It was not a scary scene to me but a scene that hyped me up for the next update.

Reactions: AmaroPargo

gargamel44

May 11, 2023
So what I'm seeing here is that the arguments are more about the theme or style of the game than its quality. It's pretty subjective; after all, it's an opinion, but in no way is OIALT better than Eternum if we analyze it with a more solid criterion. I do get why someone would enjoy OIALT more, but it's not for me, and that fact combined with the obvious superiority of Eternum in the technical aspects makes the game just unreachable for OIALT (in my most honest opinion).

hitmebaby

Apr 22, 2022
"Treatises." More like the ramblings of a raving lunatic who has severe withdrawals thanks to the 6-month dev time. :ROFLMAO:

...Also you forgot the part about me theorizing Eternum being another name for the Astral Plane, and that the entire "game" (which in reality is just a fancy means for one to Astrally Project his/her consciousness into the Astral Plane) is one giant scheme concocted by the Founder in order to "recruit" millions of unknowing individuals in order to hunt down the Gems of Doom for some selfish purpose, and in the process causing the natural order of the Plane to change so much that the living and the dead are now trapped in a cycle of death and rebirth...and the latter have been searching for someone to free them ever since.
madude, it is highly unlikely that reality is dualistic. stick to rational philosophical materialism that you will probably do better. nonetheless, if advice was a good thing... do what will. in regards to the game i don't think the setting is dualistic either considering the theme is cyberpunk in which the universe is usually materialistic with futurism and dystopia. i could be wrong ...some weebs love spiritualism.

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
in regards to the game i don't think the setting is dualistic either considering the theme is cyberpunk in which the universe is usually materialistic with futurism and dystopia.
...Except this game takes place in the same universe as "Once in a Lifetime" (with this VN ) and that game already established that stuff like demons and magic and the supernatural exist in the setting. So I'm not so sure if we can dismiss said "spiritualist" ideas just yet.

Last edited:

hitmebaby

Apr 22, 2022
...Except this game takes place in the same universe as "Once in a Lifetime" (with this VN taking place a decade or so after that game) and that game already established that stuff like demons and magic and the supernatural exist in the setting. So I'm not so sure if we can dismiss said "spiritualist" ideas just yet.
i haven't played 'once in a lifetime'... you could be right. the deus ex machina overused with spiritualism is boring af.

ArDZer

Feb 20, 2019
The Church of Nova also has a sacred tradition of throwing pans at people's heads if those people slander Saint Nova.
I take the followers of Saint Nova's faith must practice daily their pan-throwing skills to protect her name. But what happens if one of them fails, does that person wear a pan around the neck with the words "piss-poor thrower" written on it or something? It'll be a way to motivate the others to not miss during their sessions. :giggle:

Yvier the Duck

Dec 25, 2020
I take the followers of Saint Nova's faith must practice daily their pan-throwing skills to protect her name. But what happens if one of them fails, does that person wear a pan around the neck with the words "piss-poor thrower" written on it or something? It'll be a way to motivate the others to not miss during their sessions. :giggle:
Nah, the punishment for being the worst throwing pans is doing pancakes for the next reunion, we are not monsters. Last time was Dylan, he really needs to practice a little more.

Frowster

Nov 4, 2022
...Except this game takes place in the same universe as "Once in a Lifetime" (with this VN ) and that game already established that stuff like demons and magic and the supernatural exist in the setting. So I'm not so sure if we can dismiss said "spiritualist" ideas just yet.
This. There's a steady trail of clues hinting that Eternum is more than just a technological marvel. The clearest one, and hardest to reconcile with the notion that it's just a game, is Orion's superhuman abilities manifesting themselves in the real world, as well as the changes to his physique.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So yeah, I definitely wouldn't dismiss any of the "spiritualist" theories... but I think we can safely shelve the idea that Eternum is just a game. I'm still on the fence about its true nature, but I'm leaning towards your astral projection theory. The neural implant is probably just a technological means of artificially creating and sustaining a bridge between the real world (or should I say "our world" instead?) and the astral plane.

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
Nah, the punishment for being the worst throwing pans is doing pancakes for the next reunion, we are not monsters. Last time was Dylan, he really needs to practice a little more.
Yep, I still need to master the 24 inches one, it's a tough fella ( I mean it's difficult to use it and don't leave a trace).... But I'm training myself as much as I can, our Goddess deserve only perfection from us!!:love::love::love:
nova-mhm-mhm.gif

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
This. There's a steady trail of clues hinting that Eternum is more than just a technological marvel. The clearest one, and hardest to reconcile with the notion that it's just a game, is Orion's superhuman abilities manifesting themselves in the real world, as well as the changes to his physique.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So yeah, I definitely wouldn't dismiss any of the "spiritualist" theories... but I think we can safely shelve the idea that Eternum is just a game. I'm still on the fence about its true nature, but I'm leaning towards your astral projection theory. The neural implant is probably just a technological means of artificially creating and sustaining a bridge between the real world (or should I say "our world" instead?) and the astral plane.
My only question is "who is this 'Rob' person and why is he messing with Orion's friends?" I don't remember a mythical character named "Rob" associated with the Pleiades.

4.80 star(s) 929 Votes