Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
One thing I've noticed is that the barrier for entry to use the tool might be getting too high.
Personally I'd prefer to avoid that my grandma used this, but it'd be nice if she'd be able to download the tool and set it up.

A casual user won't be interested in reading a bunch about the tool. They'll only be interested in a few things:
  1. Will I benefit from this?
  2. Is the Download button clearly visible and will pressing it be all the steps I need to get started?
  3. Is it easy to set up?
Step 1 and 3 is probably as good as it gets. It's a solid tool and it's not hard to set up for its basic functionalities.
Step 2 however might be a little too fussy for someone who might be in doubt what an *.exe is.

Not everyone knows how to use github for an instance.

I might be overthinking this, I'm just concerned that people who might get good use out of F95Checker never give it a chance. I'm not positive that I'm correct in thinking this, I'll let you be the judge.
I can see where you're coming from, but I still have to ask, given that folks would need to be reading/using this forum to even find out about this tool, step 2 would then already be something of a minimum requirement without the benefit of F95Checker would it not?
I mean, how else are those "grandma's" going to be able to use the rest of the internet... Many other software and tools come with an exe to install said software/tools or packed in an archive...

I mean, folks using a computer at least should be able to grasp the basics of downloading archives and unpacking them... and if not, those same "grandma's" often have smart enough "grandchildren" to help them ;)
Thinking about it... would be a hoot if a "grandma" was into this kind of thing though :ROFLMAO:

AtotehZ

Aug 24, 2018
I can see where you're coming from, but I still have to ask, given that folks would need to be reading/using this forum to even find out about this tool, step 2 would then already be something of a minimum requirement without the benefit of F95Checker would it not?
I mean, how else are those "grandma's" going to be able to use the rest of the internet... Many other software and tools come with an exe to install said software/tools or packed in an archive...

I mean, folks using a computer at least should be able to grasp the basics of downloading archives and unpacking them... and if not, those same "grandma's" often have smart enough "grandchildren" to help them ;)
Thinking about it... would be a hoot if a "grandma" was into this kind of thing though :ROFLMAO:
For the group of people you reference I definitely agree, but if you take a look at my signature. All it really takes is someone seeing my signature and clicking it. You've even got it yourself as well :)

My specific concern was that getting the newest version is more difficult than downloading a game from the site.
Having a huge "Download" button is pretty effective and games on the site generally do. It's also generally at the bottom of the OP.

My concern surrounding using github was misplaced. It's only a problem when you have to locate the correct download manually. The way Willy has included a direct download button(if you click "Get the latest release . ") in the update is perfect on github.

As I stated in my first post it might all be a non-issue. Sometimes it's hard to put yourself in the shoes of other people. Thanks for your response.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
As I stated in my first post it might all be a non-issue. Sometimes it's hard to put yourself in the shoes of other people. Thanks for your response.
:LOL: Tell me about it, when I first entered the diabolical world known as "user support", I was dumbfounded to experience folks not understanding what I was saying, had to re-evaluate my way of communicating real quick... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: ascsd

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
request: Since Custom Games can't be checked for updates, the "Last Updated" column will always show "Unknown"
both last updated and the status type can be changed for custom games now, in latest build. as far as i can tell now the only detail that f95 games have and customs dont is downloads, which frankly i dont think needs implementing... adds overhead to how to handle them, and you can just use the url link to point to a download

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Just like we can set locations for .exes could we get the option to assign walkthroughs to listings? Like PDFs or TXTs files? And an icon on the listing showing it has one assigned?

Just an idea. Thanks for the great software.
you can already do that. they are called "executables" in the program, but they can be anything. just add the normal game executable, and then the walkthrough file as another executable. when clicking play it asks which one to launch.

Reactions: herbulon

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Setting a custom image is a great feature already, yet I'd love to see it further expanded. Would having multiple images be too far-fetched? Maybe have it look into a specific folder and show them in rotation, or something alike?
maybe. i want to eventually add a toggle to download the additional images from the thread description, and a way to add custom ones too would tie into that ofc

Reactions: Valter1

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Is there a way to have F95Checker scan a folder for already installed games? Or do I have to manually add each one?
you can import from many places, with thread links, bookmarks, watched threads and more. not from a list of files and folders tho

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Is there a way to change the icon of the app? I always keep it on and in the task bar, so I wanna change the "F95" which is easily readable by any passerby to something subtle like file explorer.
I tried using Resource Hacker method but it doesn't work.
I know about the bg mode, but for me, it's out of sight out of mind kinda thing
f95checker/resources/icons/icon.ico and icon.png

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
feature requests:
When F95checker is doing its weekly Full rechecks, is it possible to change the name of the window to F95checker - Running, or something similar?

Could you add a setting that ensures the banner picture remains consistent in height? I noticed that the Cell Ratio and Fit Image options don't seem to maintain the same height for the picture when checking other games with the window already open. It would be great to have a setting that keeps the banner picture uniform in height across all games.

I also found a bug and a glitch since the last time I wrote.
Bug: I think it's when I cancel a group recheck, the message will stay (number varies, but there's no other way to remove it except doing full recheck again or shutting down the app
View attachment 2724920
Glitch: Duplicate space
View attachment 2724921
WillyJL
not too sure what to do about the banners... im planning to add support for all thread images too so maybe then ill rework how it works completely.

full recheck bug is fixed in latest build.

title... meh

double space, good catch. fixed in dev branch

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
From what i see i guess it could be wayland that causes it.
you should try a fresh vm with X11 to see if you get the same or similar errors. if not... well, i don't wan't to be the one to tell WillyJL to learn wayland
its not even something on my end. i didnt code any of that. i use a library thats supposed to work everywhere, independently of platform and display server.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I'm probably just missing it, but is there a way to select multiple games and tag them all with a custom label? Also is there a way to reorder custom labels (like moving a recent entry to the top of the drop down menu).
ctrl and shift click on games let you select multiple, the same you can do it on a file manager

• Red Heart
Reactions: Brine_Basilisk

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
maybe. i want to eventually add a toggle to download the additional images from the thread description, and a way to add custom ones too would tie into that ofc
Would that be something along the lines as I outlined here
Although in hindsight, I wrote in that post it would probably not that useful in column/kanban views, but actually it could function there like on the latest updates page when hovering over an entry.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Would that be something along the lines as I outlined here
not necessarily. my first thought was to have the main image just in the images folder. then have additional images as number.png inside a folder called like the thread id. having huge directory listings gets out of hand quick, so this sounds like the bets solution to me. also this separates it between the main image and additional images, so it can be a toggle and also having a main image is always ensured (altho i also wanna add a toggle for those who dont want images)

Hunteraulo

Jan 21, 2022
Hi there,
Thanks for the changes, they're great.

Errors:
  • The application crashes when I change last updated.

Ideas:
  • Last updated should default to the date added.
  • There should be a way to differentiate custom games from others and/or identify the platform.
  • Have other game images. External because it would be too many local images.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hi there,
Thanks for the changes, they're great.

Errors:
  • The application crashes when I change last updated.

Ideas:
  • Last updated should default to the date added.
  • There should be a way to differentiate custom games from others and/or identify the platform.
  • Have other game images. External because it would be too many local images.
What do the logs say when you change last updated?

there is a way to identify custom games, I purposefully left behind the "custom" status so that they can have their own badge like that if you want it,or you can hide it by changing the status

Other game images are planned

last updated default to added date makes sense, sure

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I haven't been having trouble refreshing, probably because I have ancient cookies. But I gave this build a try, and it looks like we're back to the codesigning issue from a while ago.
So it's still not fixed for Python 3.11... ffs

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes