Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Setting a custom image is a great feature already, yet I'd love to see it further expanded. Would having multiple images be too far-fetched? Maybe have it look into a specific folder and show them in rotation, or something alike?
You have my vote for this ;)
I could see how this could work too, images by default are saved using the thread-ID as filename. I imagine it would not be too difficult if additional images would use a number suffix to form a 'collection', e.g. using a format like [ThreadID]-[Seq.Nr].[ext]. Actual custom images for 'custom' games use a negative number that is decremented when adding the next 'custom' game, so it could easily use the same name-format. In fact, this would also allow us to download all preview images associated with a game to be used in the rotation. Or just use screenshots we make ourselves.

And instead of a custom image overwriting/replacing the original image, it would only need to have a sequence-nr added, and a rotation routine added to the info screen and the refresh button for when you hover over an entry in list view. I don't see this as really useful in grid or kanban view. For one it would likely put too much strain on the CPU, for another it would make the screen much too noisy.

brknsoul

Nov 2, 2017
Is there a way to have F95Checker scan a folder for already installed games? Or do I have to manually add each one?

forgetmaster

Oct 14, 2020
Is there a way to change the icon of the app? I always keep it on and in the task bar, so I wanna change the "F95" which is easily readable by any passerby to something subtle like file explorer.
I tried using Resource Hacker method but it doesn't work.
I know about the bg mode, but for me, it's out of sight out of mind kinda thing

Jul 22, 2017
Is there a way to change the icon of the app? I always keep it on and in the task bar, so I wanna change the "F95" which is easily readable by any passerby to something subtle like file explorer.
Not sure if this is a solution that works for you or not, but in F95checker, go to interface on the right, and check the box for "BG on close" if it's not already checked. This will allow you to X out of the app and have it hide in the system tray instead of actually exiting. You can then open it again by double clicking it in the system tray, or exit it altogether by right clicking it in the system tray.

This is going to be the easiest solution to your issue, I think.

Reactions: forgetmaster

forgetmaster

Oct 14, 2020
Not sure if this is a solution that works for you or not, but in F95checker, go to interface on the right, and check the box for "BG on close" if it's not already checked. This will allow you to X out of the app and have it hide in the system tray instead of actually exiting. You can then open it again by double clicking it in the system tray, or exit it altogether by right clicking it in the system tray.

This is going to be the easiest solution to your issue, I think.
I know about that, I just want it on my taskbar

Reactions: AllanBlackwater

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
feature requests:
When F95checker is doing its weekly Full rechecks, is it possible to change the name of the window to F95checker - Running, or something similar?

Could you add a setting that ensures the banner picture remains consistent in height? I noticed that the Cell Ratio and Fit Image options don't seem to maintain the same height for the picture when checking other games with the window already open. It would be great to have a setting that keeps the banner picture uniform in height across all games.

I also found a bug and a glitch since the last time I wrote.
Bug: I think it's when I cancel a group recheck, the message will stay (number varies, but there's no other way to remove it except doing full recheck again or shutting down the app
1687753926427.png
Glitch: Duplicate space
1687754008211.png
WillyJL

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
What version of Windows?

In Win 10 you should be able to change the pinned icon by right-clicking it, then right-clicking the program entry and selecting Properties. In the Properties window there is a Change Icon... button. It won't actually change the icon of the app but since it's pinned it shouldn't matter.

Untitled.png

Bug: I think it's when I cancel a group recheck, the message will stay (number varies, but there's no other way to remove it except doing full recheck again or shutting down the app
I made a about this on GitHub FWIW.

Reactions: GAB

LucasG

Jun 28, 2023
Does anyone have some experience getting this to run in a Linux VM?

i have vmware workstation with a Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS.
i see the ui, but if i want to import from the site, the window to enter credentials does not open. i can manually add a game by link but then the refresh button also gets stuck at 0%.
When i start the program debug via terminal i get:

When i try clicking a Manage-Import button i then get:

i guess this has something to do with virtual graphics or something but i'm a linux newbie.
If anyone has any idea what to do that would be great.
From what i see i guess it could be wayland that causes it.
you should try a fresh vm with X11 to see if you get the same or similar errors. if not... well, i don't wan't to be the one to tell WillyJL to learn wayland

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
the icons are stored in the icons folders of where the software is located. So for me it's C:\Users\%username%\Downloads\build 1027\resources\icons
1688271166162.png

After locating that it's just a matter of making backup and replacing the old files with what you'd wish they look like
************************************************************************************************************************************************

In another matter, is there no other way to export your data other than Manage - Export - Thread links ? That current feature only exports the game and link but not settings like labels, last version of the game played, executable set, threads marked as played/installed, custom notes etc.. or is there a differentfile that contains those settings?

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
the icons are stored in the icons folders of where the software is located. So for me it's C:\Users\%username%\Downloads\build 1027\resources\icons
View attachment 2738932

After locating that it's just a matter of making backup and replacing the old files with what you'd wish they look like
************************************************************************************************************************************************

In another matter, is there no other way to export your data other than Manage - Export - Thread links ? That current feature only exports the game and link but not settings like labels, last version of the game played, executable set, threads marked as played/installed, custom notes etc.. or is there a differentfile that contains those settings?
It’s always been in the database file

Sep 13, 2020
Open the Extensions Page (Either click the top-left "O" icon, select Extensions > Extensions, or press Ctrl-Shift-E, then drag the Chrome.zip file and drop it on the Page. You may need to turn on "Developer Mode" top right on the extension page, not sure coz I already had it turned on.
Then just click the extension in the toolbar and pin it or leave it in the dropdown

That's not how it works. F95Checker does not check your system for installed games. That box is for you to click and mark it as installed. Once you finish playing the game and need to wait for the next update, click the Played checkbox. If'n when F95Checker finds the game is updated here after a refresh, it'll invert the Installed checkbox.
I am even more confused

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
I am even more confused
Like I said, F95Checker itself does not scan your system for installed games.

So let's start the beginning. Do you already have the games you want to have monitored for updates added in F95Checker?
If not then then there are several ways to make that happen, these are described in the FAQ in the first post of this thread.

If yes then describe what you meant with
How does one add games to application to pick up that they are installed?
Did you mean that the game is already in F95Checker, but the Installed checkbox is blank after you downloaded either an update or new game?
Or did you mean something totally different?

Last edited:

Nox29

Feb 26, 2023
I have a question for you guys. Since Willy explicitly stated he wont implement anything related to the file system, I want to do that myself. Basicaly, I would like to create a little expansion if you will, moving games from your download folder to whichever folder you store games and create a consistent structure.
I have already created a little rest api to access the db file which stores all of f95checkers data, a tool to automatically archive older versions of games so you can keep them with smaller size and a tool to automatically create shortcuts.
The latter are quite useful if you set them as the executables inside f95checker instead of the actualy executables of a game. They are updated by the os, allowing you to move the actual files/games wherever you like without breaking your paths set in f95checker.
That being said, I am unsure about which structure would be the best for storing games and would like to ask for suggestions.

My current idea is to have some sort of libary, for example
"F:\Games".

Inside that directory the threads/games are stored, each directory representing one thread and being names something like
"[id] - [author] - [name]"

Inside each of those directories, I would store different instances (no better name yet) of a game/thread like
"Season 1", "Season 2"

Finally, Inside each of those directories, I would store all the different versions of said game instance like
"v0.01"

One complete file path could look something like this
"F:\Games\[25332] - [Dr PinkCake] - [Being a DIK]\Season 3\v0.9.1"

A shortcut to the executable inside "v0.9.1" would then be saved inside
"C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\{name of my app}\Threads"

Inside f95checker, you would then select the created shortcut and add it as the games executable.
(Will also be automated so you dont have to do that)

My overall goal is to automate as much of the process as possible, to leave less room for human error and of course, to save me and preferably others as well time.
I would love to hear feedback and suggestions on that idea, for example how you sort/structure your games/files.

Dec 3, 2020
I know its called the F95Checker and all so this might be a stupid question, but have you considered extending support to our black sheep relatives over at L3wdcorner?
Edit:
Jeez this site even censors the name

Sep 13, 2020
Like I said, F95Checker itself does not scan your system for installed games.

So let's start the beginning. Do you already have the games you want to have monitored for updates added in F95Checker?
If not then then there are several ways to make that happen, these are described in the FAQ in the first post of this thread.

If yes then describe what you meant with

Did you mean that the game is already in F95Checker, but the Installed checkbox is blank after you downloaded either an update or new game?
Or did you mean something totally different?
Do you already have the games you want to have monitored for updates added in F95Checker?
No, but I will read the FAQ , however, I was wondering for future reference what if I already done the current update and finished it but I have not checked the Installed checkbox ?

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
No, but I will read the FAQ , however, I was wondering for future reference what if I already done the current update and finished it but I have not checked the Installed checkbox ?
Initially that box will be blank when you add a game (There is however a setting Installed on add in the Manage section that, when set, will mark the game as Installed when first added to F95Checker).
Regardless of the state of the Installed checkbox, it will only change it to an inverted checkmark when it does a forum check and the version on the form is a newer version than what is listed in F95Checker.
After that it is up to you to click the box or leave it inverted. Clicking it only serves to make it possible for you to discern between games you've downloaded and installed and newly added games or the presence of a newer version than what you may have installed.
The Played checkbox is similar, it too only gets checked by you clicking it after having played the listed version. And like the installed checkbox, only serves to be able to tell the difference between played and non-played Games.
As for the Installed checkbox, when F95Checker during a refresh detects there's a newer version on the forum, it will clear this checkbox if ticked.

Last edited:

DarkMask

Oct 16, 2017
I know its called the F95Checker and all so this might be a stupid question, but have you considered extending support to our black sheep relatives over at L3wdcorner?
Edit:
Jeez this site even censors the name

Wouldn't the same games just be on both sites?

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes