Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
I have a folder where I put all my games sorted by their engine(not shown here) and sort by name but sometimes the folder path changes by 1 folder but the rest will stay the same. is it possible to add wildcard function for situations where I download a new path?
Also is there a way to not have to change folder of a game each time it updates. Because i change folder names to version Example - v1 to Example - v2. Is there a way for the program to still know the path without rechanging it if the modification of it is small.
To both of you, No and as far as I know it also isn't in the planning. Paths need to be specified in full. If you don't want to clear/re-add the exe location, don't change the folder name. It's that simple.

Is there a way to show screenshots, also how can i filter stuff using the search bar ? Because i can only filter by typing the name, but no tags etc.
No way to add screenshots. Alternative is adding the folder icon in list view or use it from the details screen if you want to see the screenshots...
As for the searchbar, you can filter on name/developer/notes. Anything else only by using the filter options on the right side.

Reactions: WillyJL

Anon.1337

Jun 9, 2017
To both of you, No and as far as I know it also isn't in the planning. Paths need to be specified in full. If you don't want to clear/re-add the exe location, don't change the folder name. It's that simple.

No way to add screenshots. Alternative is adding the folder icon in list view or use it from the details screen if you want to see the screenshots...
As for the searchbar, you can filter on name/developer/notes. Anything else only by using the filter options on the right side.
I don't understand what you mean about the screenshots, i meant like to scrape the screens from F95 and when u click on the game it shows them. Is this something planned or ?

Really wish the search bar would do what you could do on the right side, search filters etc and then just backspace delete them if not needed and if u start typing a tag etc it shows like a dropdown where u can autofill the tag. The right side is kinda convoluted with adding stuff then clikcing trash icon etc.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
I don't understand what you mean about the screenshots, i meant like to scrape the screens from F95 and when u click on the game it shows them. Is this something planned or ?
My bad, I thought you were referring screenshots you made yourself while playing a game. But if you're referring to the preview images shown in the first post of a thread, for those the same thing applies, currently not possible.
WillyJL ? Would that be a feasible thing to scroll through the preview images in details view?

Really wish the search bar would do what you could do on the right side, search filters etc and then just backspace delete them if not needed and if u start typing a tag etc it shows like a dropdown where u can autofill the tag. The right side is kinda convoluted with adding stuff then clikcing trash icon etc.
It is what it is at the moment, if you do a search in this thread for "Filter" and user "WillyJL" you'll find he's planning to overhaul the filtering but has yet to decide the best way to go about it. So who knows what the future will bring.
And you don't even need to backspace in the searchbar, Esc clears it. Besides, clicking a dropdown in a filter isn't much different from having one shown in the searchbar, and the Trashbin icon to clear it, is as quick as hitting Esc in the searchbar.

Hey just started using this tool but quickly figured out I get banned when I try refreshing. Is there a setting under "refresh" that wont get me banned?
See the post here from the board's sysadmin. Try his suggested settings and just wait it out a few hours. Seems that Cloudfare's protection system is a bit overzealous and kicks in at times.

Last edited:

Nox29

Feb 26, 2023
I have a folder where I put all my games sorted by their engine(not shown here) and sort by name but sometimes the folder path changes by 1 folder but the rest will stay the same. is it possible to add wildcard function for situations where I download a new path?

or is that already added?
View attachment 2549744
I asked myself the same thing and I believe you could actualy implement it yourself if you are willing to get and modify the source code on github a bit. It wouldn´t be a perfect solution but I think you could modify the methods that add and validate paths to executables so that they use the default exe path (the dir that opens by default when you add a game) + the relative path to the game instead of the full direct path.

For example:
default_exe_dir: "F:\Games"
game_path "\Eternum\v0.5 Public" (Since "default_exe_dir" exists anyway, I would simply store this where the direct paths are stored now)

The direct path as it is now would be "F:\Games\Eternum\v0.5 Public"
My solution: default_exe_dir + game_path = "F:\Games" + "\Eternum\v0.5 Public"

With this you still wouldnt be able to change paths entirely, but at least you could change your game directory as a whole without having to read every executable (at least as far as I am concerned)

A quick disclaimer, I mostly work with Java, C and some other stuff but I dont have any experience with Python: From what I can tell, this should work but dont take it for granted please.

Also these changes would obviously be lost with each self update of F955Checker, so you would have to modify this for every new version.

What I believe you should look at/need in the github repo:
"globals.settings.default_exe_dir" (the struct containing ""default_exe_dir" is located in the "structs" module and called "Settings"
"add_executable" and "validate_executables" functions/methods in the "structs" module

Nox29

Feb 26, 2023

View attachment 2549744
I think a simpler solution would actualy be to not save the path to the executable of the game directly but rather the shortcut to the executable of the game. This way you could place your shortcuts in one folder (which you cant change later obviously), but you could place the games itself wherever you want. All you´d have to do would be to create a new shortcut of the game, wherever it might be with the same name and override the old shortcut.

ps: fck me why didnt I think about that sooner...

Update:
I replaced all my links to executables with links to shortcuts now, works perfectly. Not only can you set the last version easily this way, moving the executable the shortcuts point to does not cause problems as windows itself handles updating the shortcuts properly. Even if you dont need the thngs said above, it certainly adds a layer of stabiltiy to everything.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: TalkNerdyToMe

U330661

Aug 29, 2022
Hey folks, I've been having an issue where I can't check for updates for the games I've added, as it launches a new instance of f95 checker, which instantly crashes. I'm on MacOS, not sure if there's anything else to add.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Also is there a way to not have to change folder of a game each time it updates. Because i change folder names to version Example - v1 to Example - v2. Is there a way for the program to still know the path without rechanging it if the modification of it is small.

View attachment 2549744
I asked myself the same thing and I believe you could actualy implement it yourself if you are willing to get and modify the source code on github a bit. It wouldn´t be a perfect solution but I think you could modify the methods that add and validate paths to executables so that they use the default exe path (the dir that opens by default when you add a game) + the relative path to the game instead of the full direct path.

For example:
default_exe_dir: "F:\Games"
game_path "\Eternum\v0.5 Public" (Since "default_exe_dir" exists anyway, I would simply store this where the direct paths are stored now)

The direct path as it is now would be "F:\Games\Eternum\v0.5 Public"
My solution: default_exe_dir + game_path = "F:\Games" + "\Eternum\v0.5 Public"

With this you still wouldnt be able to change paths entirely, but at least you could change your game directory as a whole without having to read every executable (at least as far as I am concerned)

A quick disclaimer, I mostly work with Java, C and some other stuff but I dont have any experience with Python: From what I can tell, this should work but dont take it for granted please.

Also these changes would obviously be lost with each self update of F955Checker, so you would have to modify this for every new version.

What I believe you should look at/need in the github repo:
"globals.settings.default_exe_dir" (the struct containing ""default_exe_dir" is located in the "structs" module and called "Settings"
"add_executable" and "validate_executables" functions/methods in the "structs" module
I think a simpler solution would actualy be to not save the path to the executable of the game directly but rather the shortcut to the executable of the game. This way you could place your shortcuts in one folder (which you cant change later obviously), but you could place the games itself wherever you want. All you´d have to do would be to create a new shortcut of the game, wherever it might be with the same name and override the old shortcut.

ps: fck me why didnt I think about that sooner...

Update:
I replaced all my links to executables with links to shortcuts now, works perfectly. Not only can you set the last version easily this way, moving the executable the shortcuts point to does not cause problems as windows itself handles updating the shortcuts properly. Even if you dont need the thngs said above, it certainly adds a layer of stabiltiy to everything.
Guys you’re making a bigger deal out of this than what it is... this has kinda turned into a game library by this point, use it as such? The solution is have a folder with just the name of the game, NOT the version. When there’s an update, delete the files and put in the new ones. Then the paths don’t change?

Reactions: Blither

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hey folks, I've been having an issue where I can't check for updates for the games I've added, as it launches a new instance of f95 checker, which instantly crashes. I'm on MacOS, not sure if there's anything else to add.
I’m guessing it’s trying to log you in but the webpage dies, not much I can do without logs, and macOS is very goofy and I don’t have a machine I can test on

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
As for the issues with rate limiting and ip banning, I’ll eventually look into them but I’m currently busy with lots of other stuff and am not using f95checker myself lately so yeah

U330661

Aug 29, 2022
I’m guessing it’s trying to log you in but the webpage dies, not much I can do without logs, and macOS is very goofy and I don’t have a machine I can test on
Would the generated MacOS report be enough?

Nox29

Feb 26, 2023
Guys you’re making a bigger deal out of this than what it is... this has kinda turned into a game library by this point, use it as such? The solution is have a folder with just the name of the game, NOT the version. When there’s an update, delete the files and put in the new ones. Then the paths don’t change?
I understand what you mean and I didn´t want to complicate things, however it would still be nice if it was possible to set and change a basic game libary like steam or other launchers use for example. For me it´s not about updating the games, that can be done in many easy ways. My problem is changing drives or partitions for example, of course in most cases it can still be done like this but it would just add a bit more stability, as I kind of wouldn´t want to re-add 500+ games if something messes up.
if you see this differently and don´t want it, I´m totally fine with that as it´s your project and you already achieved what I wasn´t capable of.
This isn´t meant in a negative way, I simply thinkit would be a little yet nice addition to have.
As I said above, you can already choose a default game directory. Why not add the option to make game paths relative to that directory instead of setting direct paths.
The whole point of lauchers or libaries is to kind of add a layer of abstraction above the file system, so why not keep that abstraction with the links as well?
Still, please don´t get this the wrong way. Your work is amazing!

Nox29

Feb 26, 2023
In case anyone cares, here is the way I organize my games.
My drives are all structured similar to the default windows structure

F:
\Documents
\Downloads
\Games
\Pictures
\Videos

As I mostly use one drive for one purpose, I store game directly in the "\Games" directory for example without sth like a "F95zone" sub directory or sth.
That being said, my F95Checker folder is located in "\Documents" and it contains a directory called "links" with a sub directory for games, animations/videos and comics/pictures each.

The way I add games.
1. Download the game with every extra content and fully patch/mod the game (if needed)
2. Rename the partent directory of the executable with the version of the thread (without brackets)
3. Rename the parent directory of the directory named with the version (2.) with the exact name of the thread (or create the dir if not present already)
4. Create a shortcut of the game´s executable and also name it like the thread
5. Create a new directory named after the thread, insert the shortcut and move the this directory inside "F95Checker\links\Games"
6. Move the actual game directory (so "name\version\contents & exe") inside the normal "Games" folder
7. Click on "add" on the thread and set the shortcut from earlier as the games executable, NOT the actual executable

Now you might think, why make it so complicated.
You can definetly do it in a simpler way, but by doing it like this it is easy to both manage multiple versions of a game and also things like multiple seasons or maybe strongly modded instances of a game.
The most important thing is consistency.
Even without F95Checker I will never have the same version of a game twice.

As for updating a game, just do exactly what you would do when downloading it for the first time, just overwrite the shortcut. You can either keep, archive or delete older versions, thats up to you.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I understand what you mean and I didn´t want to complicate things, however it would still be nice if it was possible to set and change a basic game libary like steam or other launchers use for example. For me it´s not about updating the games, that can be done in many easy ways. My problem is changing drives or partitions for example, of course in most cases it can still be done like this but it would just add a bit more stability, as I kind of wouldn´t want to re-add 500+ games if something messes up.
if you see this differently and don´t want it, I´m totally fine with that as it´s your project and you already achieved what I wasn´t capable of.
This isn´t meant in a negative way, I simply thinkit would be a little yet nice addition to have.
As I said above, you can already choose a default game directory. Why not add the option to make game paths relative to that directory instead of setting direct paths.
The whole point of lauchers or libaries is to kind of add a layer of abstraction above the file system, so why not keep that abstraction with the links as well?
Still, please don´t get this the wrong way. Your work is amazing!
Oh so you mean like storing the path for each game as a relative path based on the base folder you configure... that’s actually not too bad of an idea... we’ll see

Reactions: Nox29

Shi Tsu

Aug 28, 2019
Im using lastest verison and got error 0xc000007b (The application was unable to start correctly) so it doesnt support win 7 ?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
my laptop memory too low to handle win 10, and i can't even install it due to installation has been failed error.
Yea the reaper is knocking on your laptop’s door, should consider trying Linux as blither said

ascsd

Jul 26, 2021
On a serious note, maybe considered installing Ubuntu. Especially if Windows is giving you issues. The Linux version works well.
Idk if ubuntu is the most friendly distro for a linux newbie
Would you guys recommend they use popos or mint? never tried them but hear they are easier to transition from windows

Blither

Sep 3, 2018
Idk if ubuntu is the most friendly distro for a linux newbie
Would you guys recommend they use popos or mint? never tried them but hear they are easier to transition from windows
Ubuntu is a great starting linux distro

Reactions: ascsd
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes