Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes
May 1, 2018
Just to clarify, it lags after login, during login, or during import?
How much threads you are trying to import? I would suggest splitting them into multiple parts and doing import multiple times.
It lags during login and the process goes high.
over 600 threads. How to do splitting? can you help me with this.

May 17, 2023
It lags during login and the process goes high.
over 600 threads. How to do splitting? can you help me with this.
Try logging in before doing import. Type something in the search box and hit enter to get the login window.
By splitting I mean importing smaller chunks, for example, instead of importing all 600 threads at once, try doing 200 threads 3 times or even smaller chunks if it still hangs.

• Red Heart
Reactions: ApocalypseSurvivor
May 1, 2018
Try logging in before doing import. Type something in the search box and hit enter to get the login window.
By splitting I mean importing smaller chunks, for example, instead of importing all 600 threads at once, try doing 200 threads 3 times or even smaller chunks if it still hangs.
Muchas Gracias, Thank you so much, it works.

ascsd

Jul 26, 2021
So I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 7,000 games on the checker. As such, it takes forever to start, any recommendations on speeding it up?
The only thing i can think of to speed up startup only, is under "Startup" disable "Refresh at start"

As for the actual refresh, you could play around with "workers" under "Refresh", each worker does 500? games at a time i believe. You could try increasing the workers but too many and it might hang the ui.
dont play with workers i guess, read FaceCrap's comment below

Last edited:
Reactions: Blither

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
You're using a cpu from 2011, that's 12 years ago... how is this my fault? You're asking for it lmfao
How do you even run games on it :WaitWhat:
I'm more surprised it even runs Windows 11?

As for the actual refresh, you could play around with "workers" under "Refresh", each worker does 500? games at a time i believe. You could try increasing the workers, but too many and it might hang the ui.
Errrr.... I would not set that too high... it doesn't affect a normal refresh, since that retrieves just the Latest Updates list.
So it only applies to Full Rechecks. The thing is, the switch to using the Latest Updates list for regular checks was a result of the forum getting hammered using the same method as for the weekly Full Refresh. As in Weekly for individual games, so one day you might see a 100 games getting a full recheck, another day it might be a totally different number. So I would actually suggest keeping the number of workers as low as possible and just make sure Use parser processes is checked in the Refresh section. Just be sure to hover the question mark so you know why it's better to keep this checked. I actually have it set to 1 worker, and although it may take a couple of minutes extra every time a Full Recheck happens, my interface stays responsive and I don't experience any lagging from it.

The plus side is the forum gets hammered less with a shitload of simultaneous requests, thus not giving the admins any reason to come down on WillyJL for causing forum problems.
The downside is, if you can call it that, it takes a bit longer for a check-run to finish, but with the mentioned setting checked it doesn't affect your normal program use. On top of that, if you have it running in BG Mode in the tray, you won't even notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillyJL and ascsd

Beermotor

Sep 27, 2019
You're using a cpu from 2011, that's 12 years ago... how is this my fault? You're asking for it lmfao
How do you even run games on it :WaitWhat:
I agree with this, but I'd also like to point out that OpenGL has been deprecated for almost a decade now in lieu of Vulkan.

OpenGL compatibility is a low priority as far as vendor driver effort goes on consumer-grade GPUs (I'm talking 4090s and 7900XTXs) as of 2023. If you're using some of the more exotic pieces of the Python 3.x OpenGL stuff you're not going to have a good time on any edge-case hardware and it probably won't at all on anything 10 years from now.

I really appreciate your effort in making this tool but why on earth do you need hardware rendering in the first place? There's nothing in this UI you couldn't have done with wxPython, QT, or similar.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Oh Crap. Yep you're right. Is there not a nice way to do that with Vulkan?
Might be, haven't investigated it yet
Also, yeah you're right, this could be done in any other toolkit. I simply prefer the imgui paradigm, and am fine with the performance drawbacks with respect to the ease of coding it gives

May 17, 2023
I agree with this, but I'd also like to point out that OpenGL has been deprecated for almost a decade now in lieu of Vulkan.
It's old, sure, but by no means deprecated. It's still widely used and I think it was a good choice for F95Checker.
Switching to Vulkan is possible, ImGui is backend agnostic, nad Python has bindings to Vulkan of course, but it has very low-level APIs compared to OpenGL, which means writing much more code to achieve the same results. And benefits are marginal, F95Checker doesn't do anything that requires it to squeeze every last bit out of each CPU/GPU cycle.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
It's old, sure, but by no means deprecated. It's still widely used and I think it was a good choice for F95Checker.
Switching to Vulkan is possible, ImGui is backend agnostic, nad Python has bindings to Vulkan of course, but it has very low-level APIs compared to OpenGL, which means writing much more code to achieve the same results. And benefits are marginal, F95Checker doesn't do anything that requires it to squeeze every last bit out of each CPU/GPU cycle.
Yeah it would be doable, and I might consider it eventually. From a cursory look it seems like we would need glue code for drawing and for window handling. Currently those are handled by opengl and glfw respectively...

The glfw code I can still somewhat understand:

But the opengl one looks like a nightmare:

LucasG

Jun 28, 2023
Yeah it would be doable, and I might consider it eventually.
Please don't.
My Ideapad Y580 is old enough to mention every time i have to use wine Ivy Bridge Vulkan support is incomplete
I still couldn't get that damn nvidia chip to work correctly (at least the drivers seem to work with DRI_PRIME=1) and vulkan never worked correctly.
At least Devuan uses the same stable scheme as Debian: Non-critical updates are slower then a glacier but well tested if they come.

So, please don't go to vulkan, for the sake of those older systems.

PS: Lost my old mail i used for unroot , but still the same user

Reactions: WillyJL

Beermotor

Sep 27, 2019
Please don't.
My Ideapad Y580 is old enough to mention every time i have to use wine Ivy Bridge Vulkan support is incomplete
I still couldn't get that damn nvidia chip to work correctly (at least the drivers seem to work with DRI_PRIME=1) and vulkan never worked correctly.
At least Devuan uses the same stable scheme as Debian: Non-critical updates are slower then a glacier but well tested if they come.

So, please don't go to vulkan, for the sake of those older systems.
I'm not normally a Debian user so I'm not sure what's going on with Mesa in Debian Stable, but I believe better acceleration support was when the was merged into Mesa 21.

I could be completely wrong however and that nag message could be from Crocus. The oldest Intel chip I have around is a Haswell (4790k) running Fedora 37 which the generation after Ivy Bridge IIRC.

Savor

Jan 30, 2018
Hi,
Thanks for making this launcher it's really useful and customizable.
I even use it for most of my apps i have installed on my computer not even f95 related.
I'll drop a wishlist i would like to see in future updates, maybe there is something that you also like.

- Display download progress for Inregrated Browser
- making the exe dir the default path for all games upon you can enter a relative path to the exe itself. This way it'll be possible to move all games to a bigger hard drive without re-entering all path to the games again.
- Github support?
- Grabbing local version of the game from file title.
- Remember Filter from last session
- Batch download game banners
- Being able to set completed status to imported apps outside of f95zone
- multiple sorting options (rating, alphabetical, added date, last updated...).

ascsd

Jul 26, 2021
Hi,
Thanks for making this launcher it's really useful and customizable.
I even use it for most of my apps i have installed on my computer not even f95 related.
I'll drop a wishlist i would like to see in future updates, maybe there is something that you also like.

- Display download progress for Inregrated Browser
- making the exe dir the default path for all games upon you can enter a relative path to the exe itself. This way it'll be possible to move all games to a bigger hard drive without re-entering all path to the games again.
- Github support?
- Grabbing local version of the game from file title.
- Remember Filter from last session
- Batch download game banners
- Being able to set completed status to imported apps outside of f95zone
- multiple sorting options (rating, alphabetical, added date, last updated...).
multiple sort already exists. just hold shift while you click on the headers to sort

Savor

Jan 30, 2018
multiple sort already exists. just hold shift while you click on the headers to sort
in panels there are no headers for sorting. seems to only working on lists

edit:
ok, you can actualy sort them on the list and they are also sorted in the panels section.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes