Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

razfaz

Mar 24, 2021
Big fan of your tool. Reminds me of the good old Nexus, Modtool, etc.

Sadly I got connection issues lately (past days), despite I can log in manually, but the tool can't anymore.

Sadly we as a User can't see any settings, or take adjustments to the connection. If You are using the curl lib (if not, then I would suggest to take a look at it), then we (or you) can do some tricks depending on the issue. *wink wink*

Using latest ver. 8.5
Any hint, help or workaround?

1638917073431.png

Last edited:

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020

Sadly I got connection issues lately (past days), despite I can log in manually, but the tool can't anymore.

Sadly we as a User can't see any settings, or take adjustments to the connection. If You are using the curl lib (if not, then I would suggest to take a look at it), then we (or you) can do some tricks depending on the issue. *wink wink*

Using latest ver. 8.5

View attachment 1534857
Look at the post above yours, then go to the OP, there's a fix linked there. The reason is an expired certificate in the Windows certificate store.

also...
What puzzles me is the error it shows... the text doesn't reflect what the log reveals...
"There was an error connecting to F95zone, please check your internet connection!"
Yet the log mentions a certificate error

Last edited:
Reactions: WillyJL and razfaz

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
most of the settings are available in the gui, and for a few more advanced settings you can use the config file at %appdata%\f95checker\f95checker.json
however i wont add a lot of connection settings since it would just confuse the average user, which lets be honest the average user of f95zone is not interested in tweaking how a checker tool connects to f95zone, they just want it to work. the most ill have is the max amount of simultaneous connections (already there, called refresh threads), and the timeout for each (in a future update).

i am using the aiohttp lib, and switching is not really an option. the whole reason why the tool refreshes so fast is that it runs asynchronously. this means that there are not dozens of threads for each connection, but instead there is the main process for the gui and a separate thread that runs all the logic and connection asynchronously (it might actually even be gui and everything else all in one process, cant remember). since internet connections are a lot more waiting than computation, async structure is perfect for this so the thread can work on starting new connections while it waits for the others to fulfill. this way you have up to 100 connections all taking place at the same time, and they are not on multiple threads, minimizing on io bottlenecks.
however if you wish to try and implement curl you are more than free to do so, this is what foss (free and open source software) is all about!

what i suggest you do though, since you seem a bit more of a tinkerer than the average user here, is edit the aforementioned config file and set "debug" to true. this will create a log file with much more descriptive error messages and tracebacks.

What puzzles me is the error it shows... the text doesn't reflect what the log reveals...
"There was an error connecting to F95zone, please check your internet connection!"
Yet the log mentions a certificate error and my connection couldn't be more stable.
yea i can see how that could be misleading, but on the code side of things that exception was thrown at the
Python:
async with globals.http.head(globals.check_login_page) as check_login_req:
line, which is what initiates the connection to f95zone. so if the error that happens there is a certificate error or a connection error, it still happens in the same place and for ease of mind i simply put a generic error message

Reactions: FaceCrap

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
on the code side of things that exception was thrown at the
Python:
async with globals.http.head(globals.check_login_page) as check_login_req:
line, which is what initiates the connection to f95zone. so if the error that happens there is a certificate error or a connection error, it still happens in the same place and for ease of mind i simply put a generic error message
I understood, it would have been nice to have an indication more in line with the actual problem but then again, this particular issue isn't one that would happen more than once in a blue moon so I can understand not having a dedicated handling for this type of error. Anyways, the debug option was indeed the first thing I did, otherwise I'd still be searching for the cause...

Zoomblo

Jul 15, 2019
I've tried to use f95checker in windows 10 and windows 11, installed the certficate from OP, but i still encounter the certificate error.

And then today, all of sudden it works in windows 11 :WaitWhat:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I've tried to use f95checker in windows 10 and windows 11, installed the certficate from OP, but i still encounter the certificate error.

And then today, all of sudden it works in windows 11 :WaitWhat:
well it is an issue with the certificate provided by windows, you could try to fix it with the link in the OP or just wait for microsoft to push a hotfix for it. looks like they did that for 11 but not yet 10

ascsd

Jul 26, 2021
I have a low-priority feature request (I looked at the planned features first, I promise :ROFLMAO: )
A way to tell what your last downloaded version is. Currently you can only tell what the latest version on f95 is.

Reason being, some games' updates have too little content, and I'd rather wait for a few updates before playing.
And I'm way too lazy to go through and compare the latest version to the downloaded version for each game that updates.

How to integrate it could be to add "dl_version" in .json, and when you check the "downloaded" icon it will overwrite it with current version. (granted if you accidentally check downloaded you cant undo but should be fine)

As for displaying it..
I would have said put it under the game's title, but didn't want you to change the gui just for that, would also use up more vertical height per row
maybe add it in brackets next to where the latest version is, but that might clutter the gui or confuse the avg user
or add it to a tooltip if its not hard to modify individual tooltips (either the dl icon or the game version's or something)
or on the refresh button ontop of the thumbnails, but again that could look cluttered
or wait for when you add the new columns and just add it to there

I guess i'll leave it to you to choose the best implementation if you decide to go ahead with this

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I have a low-priority feature request (I looked at the planned features first, I promise :ROFLMAO: )
A way to tell what your last downloaded version is. Currently you can only tell what the latest version on f95 is.

Reason being, some games' updates have too little content, and I'd rather wait for a few updates before playing.
And I'm way too lazy to go through and compare the latest version to the downloaded version for each game that updates.

How to integrate it could be to add "dl_version" in .json, and when you check the "downloaded" icon it will overwrite it with current version. (granted if you accidentally check downloaded you cant undo but should be fine)

As for displaying it..
I would have said put it under the game's title, but didn't want you to change the gui just for that, would also use up more vertical height per row
maybe add it in brackets next to where the latest version is, but that might clutter the gui or confuse the avg user
or add it to a tooltip if its not hard to modify individual tooltips (either the dl icon or the game version's or something)
or on the refresh button ontop of the thumbnails, but again that could look cluttered
or wait for when you add the new columns and just add it to there

I guess i'll leave it to you to choose the best implementation if you decide to go ahead with this
1639154215634.png

it might not be labelled the best way possible, but i do have intentions to add exactly what you said :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: maver!ck

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
Finally got a working Systray (at least it works right now ;)) and it seems to work with linux in background mode.
Only a little thing here: the tooltip says F95Checker.py (i started it via a starter pointing to the .sh file)
Couldn't test if/how notification works cause i'm up-to-date right now
EDIT: 10 Minutes after i wrote this Champion of Realms got a update. Notification works, just the changed icon had me puzzled a moment if my systray stopped working. that bulb is a bit unlucky with a default-themed xfce

BTW: Wish you all a Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Reactions: WillyJL

ErmilokSs

Nov 1, 2018

Using latest ver. 8.5

View attachment 1534857
Got same error. I tried solution with certificate. Its didnt help... but with VPN works fine.
But i dont like to turn VPN every time when i want check my games, maybe exist different solution?
Or maybe clarify why this beggin happens about week ago or so.

P.S. if this sounds like maybe some rude appeal it wasnt my intention. Im just not native speaker at all.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Got same error. I tried solution with certificate. Its didnt help... but with VPN works fine.
But i dont like to turn VPN every time when i want check my games, maybe exist different solution?
Or maybe clarify why this beggin happens about week ago or so.

P.S. if this sounds like maybe some rude appeal it wasnt my intention. Im just not native speaker at all.
did you restart after installing the certificate? that might help...
otherwise try changing DNS server (i suggest ) or restarting your router.
if it still happens im going to need an error log. for this close the tool, edit your config (%appdata%\f95checker\f95checker.json) and set debug to "true", open the tool, get the error to happen again and send the "log.txt" or "f95checker.log" here or in my dms

CCrusader

Nov 29, 2020
WillyJL I opened the program, I had so many game threads in there, I got a message about some config file, then I restarted the app and now all my threads are gone. Any way I can get my threads back?

Last edited:
  • Sad

AtotehZ

Aug 24, 2018
Just a reminder. There are those of us who have zero problems. Everything works as intended.

I know how frustrating it can be to only hear about problems, so this is my Christmas present to you :)

Merry Christmas.

• Red Heart

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
WillyJL I opened the program, I had so many game threads in there, I got a message about some config file, then I restarted the app and now all my threads are gone. Any way I can get my threads back?
sadly, not really. it should have created a backup of the corrupted file, but most times if it finds it corrupted its because its already empty and the damage has already been done. my best guess is it was stopped unexpectedly by a crash or a power loss or something while it was saving. you can check in %appdata%\f95checker to see if there are backup files and if they contain any useful data. if you find something that looks like it has data but the tool cant read it send it IN MY DMS, NOT HERE and ill try to see if it can be fixed.
i will also add to the list of planned features a kind of backup system that will make periodic config backups.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Just a reminder. There are those of us who have zero problems. Everything works as intended.

I know how frustrating it can be to only hear about problems, so this is my Christmas present to you :)

Merry Christmas.
and to you! <3
also happy new (early) year!

• Red Heart
Reactions: AtotehZ

CCrusader

Nov 29, 2020
sadly, not really. it should have created a backup of the corrupted file, but most times if it finds it corrupted its because its already empty and the damage has already been done. my best guess is it was stopped unexpectedly by a crash or a power loss or something while it was saving. you can check in %appdata%\f95checker to see if there are backup files and if they contain any useful data. if you find something that looks like it has data but the tool cant read it send it IN MY DMS, NOT HERE and ill try to see if it can be fixed.
i will also add to the list of planned features a kind of backup system that will make periodic config backups.
I have this weird file with nothing in it. I say weird cause its nothing like the file below it. The file below it is the new games that I started adding so don't pay attention to that.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I have this weird file with nothing in it. I say weird cause its nothing like the file below it. The file below it is the new games that I started adding so don't pay attention to that.
yes, exactly what i feared... the weird numbers are a unix timestamp, aka the total number of seconds since 01/01/1970. its a sort of standard in IT, a common way to indicate and store time. in this case that weird file is the backup the tool made when it found the corrupted, and in this case empty, config file, and it added the timestamp so that if it happens again you can distinguish the backups by timestamp.
anyway yea, not much we can do to recover it...

Reactions: CCrusader
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes