Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes
May 11, 2019
upcoming update has had that for a few months, release should be nearly ready
Cool, looking forward to it. If you care, a bit expanded version of this feature should allow:
  1. Mark games as Planned/Playing/Finished/Dropped (default undefined), and record time of category change
  2. Give them local rating, e.g., 1-5 stars like on the site
  3. Add free text note, as a reminder why you dropped the game or whatever
  4. Export this catalogue metadata as a JSON file

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Mark games as Planned/Playing/Finished/Dropped (default undefined), and record time of category change
no, too over the top. i made this tool with my own hands because all the other ones were too complciated, this is just too much. how the new version will handle it is that it remembers what version you marked as installed, so that when an update comes the tickmark is no longer checked, but you can still click play, and if it was a minor update you can choose to check the played toggle only, to remind you that you played the content but you dont have the exact latest version.
1656901221450.png
Give them local rating, e.g., 1-5 stars like on the site
already implemented. all games have a 5 star rating, it is personal and not connected to the website in any way.
1656901284763.png
Add free text note, as a reminder why you dropped the game or whatever
already present in current version, click on the game's name to open the more info panel, at the bottom you have a notes section. in the upcoming version its also available in the main list and grid views, if you choose to enable them
1656901317754.png
1656901330136.png
Export this catalogue metadata as a JSON file
the version you are currently using is based on a json file, just take it from there (%appdata%\f95checker\f95checker.json). the upcoming version uses a real database system instead of that flimsy json that has corrupted so many peoples configs, so it might not be easy on the newer version. depending on how much you need it might not consider it, the upcoming version already has a way to export all games as a list of thread links, and also a way to import them that way too.
1656901358903.png

harmonic

Aug 23, 2018
Does the new version still store the database in appdata? It would be nice to be able to keep it in the install directory so it can be portable.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Does the new version still store the database in appdata? It would be nice to be able to keep it in the install directory so it can be portable.
it still does yes. storing it in the install folder is not so practical because when an update comes it simply deletes that whole folder...
if you want to have it somewhere else you can always use symbolic link or hard links, look them up on google if youve never heard of them!

harmonic

Aug 23, 2018
it still does yes. storing it in the install folder is not so practical because when an update comes it simply deletes that whole folder...
if you want to have it somewhere else you can always use symbolic link or hard links, look them up on google if youve never heard of them!
That can be a bit confusing when something breaks (since I'll likely have completely forgotten that I set it up that way lol), but that should work for me, thanks!

Reactions: WillyJL

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
how do i get the window open with all the updates in? all that happens when i run the exe is a small window opens with refresh button and a few other buttons and it keeps wanting to open in edge which i dont even use?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
how do i get the window open with all the updates in? all that happens when i run the exe is a small window opens with refresh button and a few other buttons and it keeps wanting to open in edge which i dont even use?
you need to add some games to it. the input bar at the bottom takes thread links, paste them in (must be the OP from f95zone) one at a time and click add

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
you need to add some games to it. the input bar at the bottom takes thread links, paste them in (must be the OP from f95zone) one at a time and click add
What do I do now? can i make it download to where these games are located on one of external 16TB disk? I have added every single renpy game i own yet, it will probably take a long time to populate this. does this client remember my games?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
What do I do now? can i make it download to where these games are located on one of external 16TB disk? I have added every single renpy game i own yet, it will probably take a long time to populate this. does this client remember my games?
it does not read anything from disk. it does not manage your games. it does not download updates. it is simply a tool to get notified of game updates and keep track of what you have played and what you intend on playing (it can do more, especially the upcoming update, but those are the main goals of this tool)

to add games faster the upcoming update has a few import options: you can add multiple links at once, it can read your browser bookmarks, it can import from f95zone forum bookmarks and watched threads, and also has a companion browser extension to add by right clicking on links and pages, and also on the extension icon.
this upcoming update will be available relatiely shortly, id say in about a week (yea i said a week about a week ago but ive been doing some things). if you want you can try out the betas here simply find the newest build with a green tickmark and download the windows artifact. you will need a github account to download the betas however

PS: im not sure what you mean by "remember your games"... i mean you add the games and the tool keeps track of them (clicking refresh will check for updates). if you close the tool and open it again it will still be the same list of games.

Last edited:

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
I am sorry for question. You managed to understand what I meant. In the respect of could the program remember the games,that i added to the client.
thanks for your explanation. I had better start using the watch threads for the games i play. I have that many games, that basically by the time I have finished getting all the links into the program, it will have taken days or a week to do it.
What you have created is a great feature, because it means with one check, I can see what the latest version is of the games I play, whether I have downloaded the updates and played the latest update. Thank you for this program and i look forward to trying out the new update when it comes around. Just one tiny question, will it be a direct update to this program, so i won't loose all the links I have had so far? I have spent most of the day adding them one by one.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Just one tiny question, will it be a direct update to this program, so i won't loose all the links I have had so far? I have spent most of the day adding them one by one.
it indeed is. when you open the new version it will read the previos version's data and convert it to the new version. i myself have over 300 games, but i know that comparred to some otherr users of this tool thats nothing. i would never put my users through such a pain xD

oldshoe

Mar 7, 2020
Thanks for an amazing app which I have now managed to corrupt again. I have a message that the .json file has been backed up.

I found that .json file, f95checker.165740048254.json and the previous one f95checker.165023985867.json and a plain one, f95checker.json but what next? Where do I put it? I have the AppData/roaming/f95checker folder and the f95checker folder.

Sorry I'm just a basic PC user. The last time this happened I just rebuilt the library from my memory and that was a lot of games! I don't know how to restore. I had to restart my PC with Ctrl + alt + Del and this seems to have been the cause of the problem both times.

Both backup .json files show as 0 kb size. The program does remember unread messages but the library is empty.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Thanks for an amazing app which I have now managed to corrupt again. I have a message that the .json file has been backed up.

I found that .json file, f95checker.165740048254.json and the previous one f95checker.165023985867.json and a plain one, f95checker.json but what next? Where do I put it? I have the AppData/roaming/f95checker folder and the f95checker folder.

Sorry I'm just a basic PC user. The last time this happened I just rebuilt the library from my memory and that was a lot of games! I don't know how to restore. I had to restart my PC with Ctrl + alt + Del and this seems to have been the cause of the problem both times.

Both backup .json files show as 0 kb size. The program does remember unread messages but the library is empty.
it really depends whether those backup files contain any useful information. if not, then theres nothing i can do and im very sorry for this. that json config system was cursed from the start and the upcoming update fixes all those issues with a proper stable database system. the issue wit hthe json is that if the program is stopped abruptly while saving the data, which is what happens when you force restart the pc, there is a high chance it will fail to write tothe file and therefore it will be empty. go ahead and check if those backup files are empty but most likely they are. what i suggest is using the beta for the upcoming version, you can get the latest beta build here just find the latest with a green tickmark and download the windows artifact. keep in mind you will need a github account to download them.

if its of any help the upcoming update (including the current betas) have multiple import options: yo ucan import game thread links, browser bokmarks, f95zone forum bookmarks and f95zone watched threads

Reactions: oldshoe

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
harmonic
And if you're gonna do that, I recommend installing . Though you should probably also learn how to make links through the console since this is about portability.

But I recommend the extension even if you're not gonna use a link in this case, because links are awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillyJL

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I know the new version has an option to give a personal rating, but what about retrieving the actual average rating and number of votes? Scraping and formatting the number of votes might be a bit more complex due to the escapes, but the rating should be simple enough.

HTML from a game page:
<select name="rating" class="br-select input" data-xf-init="rating" data-initial-rating="4.8" data-rating-href="/threads/mc-simulator-v0-2-6-public-aph.77959/br-rate" data-readonly="false" data-deselectable="false" data-show-selected="true" data-widget-class="bratr-rating" data-vote-content="&lt;div data-href=&quot;/threads/mc-simulator-v0-2-6-public-aph.77959/br-user-rated&quot; data-xf-click=&quot;overlay&quot; data-xf-init=&quot;tooltip&quot; title=&quot;Members who rated this thread&quot;&gt;4 Votes&lt;/div&gt;">

Also, can you share what's involved in building the .exe version? If you're not willing to add this feature I'll do it myself, but running as a python script is less than ideal.

ascsd

Jul 26, 2021
I know the new version has an option to give a personal rating, but what about retrieving the actual average rating and number of votes? Scraping and formatting the number of votes might be a bit more complex due to the escapes, but the rating should be simple enough.

HTML from a game page:
<select name="rating" class="br-select input" data-xf-init="rating" data-initial-rating="4.8" data-rating-href="/threads/mc-simulator-v0-2-6-public-aph.77959/br-rate" data-readonly="false" data-deselectable="false" data-show-selected="true" data-widget-class="bratr-rating" data-vote-content="&lt;div data-href=&quot;/threads/mc-simulator-v0-2-6-public-aph.77959/br-user-rated&quot; data-xf-click=&quot;overlay&quot; data-xf-init=&quot;tooltip&quot; title=&quot;Members who rated this thread&quot;&gt;4 Votes&lt;/div&gt;">

Also, can you share what's involved in building the .exe version? If you're not willing to add this feature I'll do it myself, but running as a python script is less than ideal.
i know this isnt what you're asking about, but you can run the python script without a console with less hassle using
Code:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run "<path to python>\python.exe <path to script>\script.py", 0, True
Set WshShell = Nothing
and saving it as .vbs

Reactions: baloneysammich

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
i know this isnt what you're asking about, but you can run the python script without a console with less hassle using
Code:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run "<path to python>\python.exe <path to script>\script.py", 0, True
Set WshShell = Nothing
and saving it as .vbs
This seems to work better than using a .bat file, so thanks for telling me about this.

But one reason I would prefer an .exe is so I can pin it to the taskbar and when run the program icon is merged with the pin. I can use a workaround to pin the script, but of course the program icon will be separate.

ascsd

Jul 26, 2021
This seems to work better than using a .bat file, so thanks for telling me about this.

But one reason I would prefer an .exe is so I can pin it to the taskbar and when run the program icon is merged with the pin. I can use a workaround to pin the script, but of course the program icon will be separate.
you can pin and change the program icon if you create a shortcut to the vbs script. and then change it in the shortcut's properties

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes