Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I just tried out build 293, but ran into a couple of problems. The main one is that I had to approve every dylib and so as unsigned code.
we might be talking about different things but for me double clicking on the main executable would just say that it is from an unidentified developer, and to run it i just have to instead right click > open, then accept that it is from an unidentified developer. if youre doing about the same thing, and then it still asks you to approve every single lib then that might be something new on monterey, cos ive never seen that. sadly i simply cant run monterey in vm cos it fails to install...

the other issue seems more signing issues, looks like were not getting past that after all. ill trry to see if its possible to sign without paying for a developer account.

EDIT: ive had a crazy yet simple idea. you said it works fine from commandline... so just... F95Checker.command:
Bash:
#!/bin/zsh
./F95Checker
???

Last edited:
Reactions: batblue

batblue

Sep 6, 2021
EDIT: ive had a crazy yet simple idea. you said it works fine from commandline... so just... F95Checker.command:
Bash:
#!/bin/zsh
./F95Checker
???
Sorry, my bad. I meant that it works great when I grab the source, install requirements with pip, and run python3 main.py.

I think the signing issues are for real, and are probably something new in Monterey. I remember the Monterey release notes talking about "improved" security. :rolleyes:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Sorry, my bad. I meant that it works great when I grab the source, install requirements with pip, and run python3 main.py.

I think the signing issues are for real, and are probably something new in Monterey. I remember the Monterey release notes talking about "improved" security. :rolleyes:
ok so you can sign without paying. of course though this certificate is not recognised by any signing identity, its just a self signed certificate. i managed to sign on my mac and opening the exe now it said that it was from an unverified developer, so again right click > open and allow unverified developer. hopefully now that they are atleast signed in someway you wont have to accept each one individually... i just pushed an update to the build workflow to include the codesign step, hopefully this random github action i found to import certificates actually works and doesnt steal muh password xD.

EDIT: ok so it didnt work, but looks like only importing the certificate went wrong. signing would havve gone ok otherwise

Last edited:

noty2

Jan 6, 2020
I don't mean to be annoying but it has been more than 2 weeks since i last asked and then it was about a week has there been a delay? only asking since current version doesn't work for me

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I don't mean to be annoying but it has been more than 2 weeks since i last asked and then it was about a week has there been a delay? only asking since current version doesn't work for me
macos is being a bitch. i might have almost fixed it.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
batblue this was all so stupid all along the path. ill recap the circles of hell i had to go through.

code signing. turns out i was exporrting just the private key, not certificate + private key (while when exporting one at a time only the private key showed in .p12 format (to import the certificate it asked for a .p12 so i assumed it only needed the private key)). now code signing works. build 297 (with its appropriately named commit message) should be working just fine** (hopefully****)

but code signing was not the issue with the .app not working. i am stubborn so i kept messing around with it. the issue was so stupid. it will not launch if not inside the /Applications folder. there apparently is a reason that everry single program demands being dragged into the applications folder. build 302 is signed and in .app format. try to see if that works after you put it in /Applications. also as a sidenote just to shit on apple some more: codesign does not like empty files. if you try signing your .app and there are any empty files anywhere inside it, the signing process will fail altogether. i mean it makes sense that an empty file cannot be signed, theres nothing to be signed in the first place... but just skip it? ugh. ive made the build just remove all empty files for now, lets hope that doesnt come back around later on.

this last discovery leads me to think it might be a good idea to just make a .dmg like every otherr sane human being on this planet, instead of distributing a .app and telling people to drop it themselves into /Applications. i will look into that

Last edited:
Reactions: batblue

Dragzner

Aug 17, 2019
Hi, I'm here to be whatever the combination of a good samaritan and a coomer is. It has been my experience that on a rare occasion the app will launch and work in all other respects except it will not display the GUI. The only way i've found to fix this is to go into "C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\f95checker" and delete "imgui.ini".

Dragzner

Aug 17, 2019
Well, I suppose "work" is a strong word as you can't do anything without the GUI. Act like it works would be more appropriate wording.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hi, I'm here to be whatever the combination of a good samaritan and a coomer is. It has been my experience that on a rare occasion the app will launch and work in all other respects except it will not display the GUI. The only way i've found to fix this is to go into "C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\f95checker" and delete "imgui.ini".
that is a very good bug you caught there. next time you have that happen can you send over your log.txt please?
also, do you just see an empty window, or does it just not do anything? does the tray icon appear?

Dragzner

Aug 17, 2019
Assuming you're talking about the log.txt produced in the same folder as the app. Funny thing is that the log doesn't show anything. It was actually the first place I checked when I had this problem. The tray icon for it appears and you can interact with it, just the window is empty.

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Assuming you're talking about the log.txt produced in the same folder as the app. Funny thing is that the log doesn't show anything. It was actually the first place I checked when I had this problem. The tray icon for it appears and you can interact with it, just the window is empty.
and you are positive that deleting imgui.ini is what fixes it? not simply a few restarts?
are we talking an empty window as in black background? or is it almost like a screenshot of what was behind it before? (opengl windows appear like a screenshot of what was behind them until the first render, so that might provide a clue)

Dragzner

Aug 17, 2019
I actually don't know how to send it. I'm mostly a lurker so i've never sent a .ini file. XD any tips?

batblue

Sep 6, 2021
batblue this was all so stupid all along the path. ill recap the circles of hell i had to go through.

code signing. turns out i was exporrting just the private key, not certificate + private key (while when exporting one at a time only the private key showed in .p12 format (to import the certificate it asked for a .p12 so i assumed it only needed the private key)). now code signing works. build 297 (with its appropriately named commit message) should be working just fine** (hopefully****)

but code signing was not the issue with the .app not working. i am stubborn so i kept messing around with it. the issue was so stupid. it will not launch if not inside the /Applications folder. there apparently is a reason that everry single program demands being dragged into the applications folder. build 302 is signed and in .app format. try to see if that works after you put it in /Applications. also as a sidenote just to shit on apple some more: codesign does not like empty files. if you try signing your .app and there are any empty files anywhere inside it, the signing process will fail altogether. i mean it makes sense that an empty file cannot be signed, theres nothing to be signed in the first place... but just skip it? ugh. ive made the build just remove all empty files for now, lets hope that doesnt come back around later on.

this last discovery leads me to think it might be a good idea to just make a .dmg like every otherr sane human being on this planet, instead of distributing a .app and telling people to drop it themselves into /Applications. i will look into that
Well, damn. I just grabbed build 302, moved the app into /Applications, and it worked. I had to accept that the .app was unsigned, but after that, everything was fine. Thanks for banging your head against this for so long, man. I for one am gonna really enjoy not having to run this using python in Terminal.

It's really strange that the app has to be in /Applications. I keep all the games I get here in a different folder, and they all work fine. But I'll take it!

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
It's really strange that the app has to be in /Applications. I keep all the games I get here in a different folder, and they all work fine. But I'll take it!
yea man, dont mess with what works xD. except i will have to because now the auto update system might become a nightmare if the app itself cant touch /Applications...

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
batblue :cool:
1657758424326.png
im aware the alignments are slightly off but heh, i had to do it by hand cos macos... its actually just a folder with custom background and icon disposition... apple does stuff weirddd

now to figure out how to autoupdate...

EDIT: welp the appp itself actually doesnt work anymore... my best guess is the compression in the dmg invalidates the signature... fuck you apple pt3

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes