Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
you can pin and change the program icon if you create a shortcut to the vbs script. and then change it in the shortcut's properties
Yeah, I tried that with my customization of the old version. But the problem is that the program icon on the taskbar doesn't get merged with the pin like it would with a pin to an .exe:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

ascsd

Jul 26, 2021
Yeah, I tried that with my customization of the old version. But the problem is that the program icon on the taskbar doesn't get merged with the pin like it would with a pin to an .exe:

oh thats what you meant.. yea i dont think theres a solution for that.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I know the new version has an option to give a personal rating, but what about retrieving the actual average rating and number of votes? Scraping and formatting the number of votes might be a bit more complex due to the escapes, but the rating should be simple enough.

HTML from a game page:
<select name="rating" class="br-select input" data-xf-init="rating" data-initial-rating="4.8" data-rating-href="/threads/mc-simulator-v0-2-6-public-aph.77959/br-rate" data-readonly="false" data-deselectable="false" data-show-selected="true" data-widget-class="bratr-rating" data-vote-content="&lt;div data-href=&quot;/threads/mc-simulator-v0-2-6-public-aph.77959/br-user-rated&quot; data-xf-click=&quot;overlay&quot; data-xf-init=&quot;tooltip&quot; title=&quot;Members who rated this thread&quot;&gt;4 Votes&lt;/div&gt;">
as for difficulty its really nothing, i dont parse the raw html myself, i use a librrary that handles the html element hierarchy in an object oriented way. the setup for parsing the html is set here then i could just do head.find("select", name="rating").get("data-initial-rating"), and for the number of votes it would be something similar, getting the .text value and removing non numeric characters (and those character escape codes would also be handled by the html parser from my experience). my main argue against this is that it would add a lot of confusion i think

Also, can you share what's involved in building the .exe version? If you're not willing to add this feature I'll do it myself, but running as a python script is less than ideal.
the whole process is available in the build.yml workflow file (.github/workflows/build.yml), its literally what github runs to build the exes for me. however the main command to bundle everything into an executable is the python setup.py build command ( ) which produces the output in ./build/exe.****/
PS: you will need to install cx_Freeze with pip to do this!

i know this isnt what you're asking about, but you can run the python script without a console with less hassle using
true, but you might be better off just rrenaming the file to .pyw to hide the console, or editing main.py (it hides the console window only if it is run as a standalone executable) by skipping the pid check here and hiding anyway (ShowWindow(0) hides the console window)

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
batblue ok so after way too much hassle setting up bigsur in a kvm, sadly finding out that there are no drivers for nvidia cards newer than gtx 1000 series and then most importantly realizing that opengl will not work inside a vm in any case, i have come to a conclusion that i cannot test the app myself. however this vm did allow me to understand some thing by tinkering around. i think i have found a way to identify all user browsers just like it does on windows and linux, please let me know if that works for you (build should be already available) and if it has a noticeable impact on launch time (windows and linux have centralized caches of what apps are installed, whetherr they are browsers, and their launch ccommands, while for macos i neeed to read the manifest of all applications to know if they are browsers or not). now ill work out the start with system issue and then macos support should be golden. getting real close to a release :D

Reactions: batblue

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
batblue as i mentioned before i couldnt get it to fully launch on my system, but i made a 1:1 version of the launch agent file on my vm (after making a few tweaks that are in the latest build) and i was able to see the tray icon for a few seconds when i logged in to the vm, so if the app works in the first placce, start with system should work now too. again please let me know if it works for you too!

oldshoe

Mar 7, 2020
it really depends whether those backup files contain any useful information. if not, then theres nothing i can do and im very sorry for this. that json config system was cursed from the start and the upcoming update fixes all those issues with a proper stable database system. the issue wit hthe json is that if the program is stopped abruptly while saving the data, which is what happens when you force restart the pc, there is a high chance it will fail to write tothe file and therefore it will be empty. go ahead and check if those backup files are empty but most likely they are. what i suggest is using the beta for the upcoming version, you can get the latest beta build here just find the latest with a green tickmark and download the windows artifact. keep in mind you will need a github account to download them.

if its of any help the upcoming update (including the current betas) have multiple import options: yo ucan import game thread links, browser bokmarks, f95zone forum bookmarks and f95zone watched threads
Thanks again for you aid. Looks like I'm starting again building my list, but it's still so much better than life before I had this, I can't thank you enough for it.

Reactions: WillyJL

ascsd

Jul 26, 2021
true, but you might be better off just rrenaming the file to .pyw to hide the console, or editing main.py (it hides the console window only if it is run as a standalone executable) by skipping the pid check here and hiding anyway (ShowWindow(0) hides the console window)
I agree .pyw would be easier if the locally installed python version is the same as the one required by the tool so you can just associate python to open .pyw files. but if its different version, using a script will allow you to easily specify which python to use
figured balony had enough experience that this method would be a useful suggestion

batblue

Sep 6, 2021
batblue as i mentioned before i couldnt get it to fully launch on my system, but i made a 1:1 version of the launch agent file on my vm (after making a few tweaks that are in the latest build) and i was able to see the tray icon for a few seconds when i logged in to the vm, so if the app works in the first placce, start with system should work now too. again please let me know if it works for you too!
Sorry to say I couldn't get it working on my system. I downloaded the latest build, and when I run it, it just closes immediately without logging anything or popping up any error message. I double-checked the executable, and it doesn't seem to be a permissions issue. Same with the second-to-latest build.

Small bit of good news, though. When I run it from the command line, by running the executable buried in the .app package directly, it starts up and it does find all my browsers! So I'm not sure what the issue is with just double-clicking the executable.

I wonder if maybe it's an M1 thing. Unfortunately, I don't have an Intel Mac to test on anymore. As always, if I can find out anything more, I'll let you know.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Sorry to say I couldn't get it working on my system. I downloaded the latest build, and when I run it, it just closes immediately without logging anything or popping up any error message. I double-checked the executable, and it doesn't seem to be a permissions issue. Same with the second-to-latest build.

Small bit of good news, though. When I run it from the command line, by running the executable buried in the .app package directly, it starts up and it does find all my browsers! So I'm not sure what the issue is with just double-clicking the executable.

I wonder if maybe it's an M1 thing. Unfortunately, I don't have an Intel Mac to test on anymore. As always, if I can find out anything more, I'll let you know.
now that you mention it yea, somethings wrong with the app bundle itself...
ill tinker some more

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
Hi, I don't know if already know this. It refuses to recognize any browser except edge. I don't use edge got not time for it. I normally use firefox esr or opera.

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
If I have listed all the games I want to keep an eye on in the app with their respective forum links. If I was to delete all my old versions of the games, will this app download the new versions for me? This would be a whole lot easier than just clicking on links and manually downloading the games, of course then i'd want mods too, but that is okay because downloading manually is not an issue. Just curious if the app can download these games, I am watching in the app?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
If I have listed all the games I want to keep an eye on in the app with their respective forum links. If I was to delete all my old versions of the games, will this app download the new versions for me? This would be a whole lot easier than just clicking on links and manually downloading the games, of course then i'd want mods too, but that is okay because downloading manually is not an issue. Just curious if the app can download these games, I am watching in the app?
i stated this multiple times, this app is meant to be simple. it is only to let you know when there are updates. it does not interact witth your installed games. you manage those. the reason i made this program is EXACTLY because all the other options tried to manage the games on disk and download them, doing either a poor job of it or being overly complicated to setup (purely my opinion, i am sure they are all fine pieces of software). if you want this functionality go use gamelist or some other alternative, f95checker is not for you.

you add the links to f95checker.
f95checker tells you there is an update.
you download the update.

you uninstall a game? you go yourself and remove it from f95checker.

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
i stated this multiple times, this app is meant to be simple. it is only to let you know when there are updates. it does not interact witth your installed games. you manage those. the reason i made this program is EXACTLY because all the other options tried to manage the games on disk and download them, doing either a poor job of it or being overly complicated to setup (purely my opinion, i am sure they are all fine pieces of software). if you want this functionality go use gamelist or some other alternative, f95checker is not for you.

you add the links to f95checker.
f95checker tells you there is an update.
you download the update.

you uninstall a game? you go yourself and remove it from f95checker.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
seems to be some retarded apple thing. why am i not surprised.
i LITERALLY took another application (Waterfox.app), copied it and deleted ALL the contents, then copied over the ones from F95Checker.app, and guess fucking what it works. still gives next to no information on what the problem is or how to fix it. fuck you apple

EDIT: video showcase of retardedness (as i mentioned before the full app doesnt work for me, but i can test whether it would work by whether i see the tray icon appearing)
View attachment Record_virt-manager_20220713001759.mp4

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
still gives next to no information on what the problem is or how to fix it. fuck you apple
update: no more .app bundle, im sorry but this shit is ridiculous. im not gonna pay 100$ for a developer account, same shit as windows

batblue

Sep 6, 2021
update: no more .app bundle, im sorry but this shit is ridiculous. im not gonna pay 100$ for a developer account, same shit as windows
Oh man, apple is so fucking annoying. I'm a dev too, and I love the Mac for open source stuff, but I never actually write Mac apps for the same reason. Totally understand why it's too much of a pain in the ass.

I'm happy to write up instructions for getting it running on the command line if you want. It's basically just install python3.10 with homebrew, install the requirements, and go.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Oh man, apple is so fucking annoying. I'm a dev too, and I love the Mac for open source stuff, but I never actually write Mac apps for the same reason. Totally understand why it's too much of a pain in the ass.

I'm happy to write up instructions for getting it running on the command line if you want. It's basically just install python3.10 with homebrew, install the requirements, and go.
nah, i just meant no .app bundle. the executables themselves we both established are working fine. i just pushed a commit and build removing the .app bundle, now it will basically just be the contents of the .app/Contents/MacOS folder, without the other .app stuff. unfortunately this means the executable that users need to click on will not have the icon itself (like on linux), but it should atleast be at the top of the list in the filemanager hopefully

Reactions: batblue

batblue

Sep 6, 2021
nah, i just meant no .app bundle. the executables themselves we both established are working fine. i just pushed a commit and build removing the .app bundle, now it will basically just be the contents of the .app/Contents/MacOS folder, without the other .app stuff. unfortunately this means the executable that users need to click on will not have the icon itself (like on linux), but it should atleast be at the top of the list in the filemanager hopefully
Ohh, got it. That makes a lot of sense. I'll give the new build a try when I have a chance and let you know how it goes.

batblue

Sep 6, 2021
Ohh, got it. That makes a lot of sense. I'll give the new build a try when I have a chance and let you know how it goes.
I just tried out build 293, but ran into a couple of problems. The main one is that I had to approve every dylib and so as unsigned code. But the thing that finally blocked me was that PIL._imaging.cpython-310-darwin.so wouldn't load at all. Looks like it may be a 32-bit lib, or maybe a bad signature? This is the error I got on stderr, if it's at all helpful:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/runner/work/F95Checker/F95Checker/cx_Freeze/cx_Freeze/initscripts/__startup__.py", line 113, in run
  File "/Users/runner/work/F95Checker/F95Checker/cx_Freeze/cx_Freeze/initscripts/Console.py", line 15, in run
  File "/Users/runner/work/F95Checker/F95Checker/src/main.py", line 78, in <module>
  File "/Users/runner/work/F95Checker/F95Checker/src/main.py", line 17, in main
  File "/Users/runner/work/F95Checker/F95Checker/src/modules/globals.py", line 46, in <module>
  File "/Users/runner/work/F95Checker/F95Checker/src/modules/structs.py", line 311, in <module>
  File "/Users/runner/work/F95Checker/F95Checker/src/modules/imagehelper.py", line 2, in <module>
  File "/Users/runner/hostedtoolcache/Python/3.10.4/x64/lib/python3.10/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 100, in <module>
ImportError: dlopen(/Users/batblue/Desktop/F95Checker-f6c5aa6-macOS/lib/PIL._imaging.cpython-310-darwin.so, 0x0002): tried: '/Users/batblue/Desktop/F95Checker-f6c5aa6-macOS/lib/PIL._imaging.cpython-310-darwin.so' (code signature in <F532E8E7-A3BB-3989-AD07-77777DF4E5A4> '/Users/batblue/Desktop/F95Checker-f6c5aa6-macOS/lib/PIL._imaging.cpython-310-darwin.so' not valid for use in process: library load disallowed by system policy)
This is all on the latest version of Monterey. I know you're testing on Big Sur, I wonder if there are security changes between those two versions?

Also, everything runs fine if I run from the command line using python like I described a couple posts ago.

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes