Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Guys Sam told me that the refresh situation is getting a bit out of hand and causing some issues on the webservers, i will address it in some way in the next update but in the mean time if you see this please try to keep it down with the refreshes, dont refresh if theres no need for it (like refreshing multiple times per day) and put the refresh timer in bg mode a bit higher maybe

Reactions: xXxNeospiritxXx
Jan 10, 2022
you already answered the question in a post before, i had the same problem today, when i disabled it, it worked properly. was the first time today i got the error message. but as you said maybe i'm also someone that refreshes the game list a bit to much. will do it a bit less from now on :LOL:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Guys Sam told me that the refresh situation is getting a bit out of hand and causing some issues on the webservers, i will address it in some way in the next update but in the mean time if you see this please try to keep it down with the refreshes, dont refresh if theres no need for it (like refreshing multiple times per day) and put the refresh timer in bg mode a bit higher maybe
so, 10.1.1 is out addressing this, along with many cool features. for the features you can read the changelog, they should be fairly intuitive.

ill explain the situation better with the refreshes. as we all know, up until now the refresh was done in 2 steps, first a HEAD request to check for a redirect, which happens when the title changes, and therefore usually indicates an update. when a redirect is found, then that game is queued for a full check to get the new game data. if a game doesnt get a full refresh for more than a week, then it is forced to do one.

problem with this system is that while HEAD requests are very fast and lightweight for the user, they are about as heavy as a normal page load on the server and the forum was having issues handling so many connections at the same time.

so Sam came to me with another compromise / solution. he made a special api that is separated from the main forum that only serves version numbers for games, and takes up to 100 thread ids at a time. so now the refresh breaks down the game list into groups of 100, does a fast check on them with the new api, and then it does the usual. if a version number change is found, then make it go through a full check, and same if it hasnt been fully checked in more than a week.

this way the fast refreshes now boil down to 100 times less requests, and each of those is even lighter and faster. win-win for everyone. however for full checks it still needs to get the full thread pages, so to avoid causing too many issues i lowered the number of workers during full checks to a tenth of what you put in the setting in the sidebar. so now, considering the default settings, the fast checks will be able to simultaneously check up to 20000 (lol) games (via 20 requests of 100 games each) and the full checks will proceed 2 thread pages at a time. now of course that number is unrealistic, so for the average user this change means that from maybe 200 - 300 requests per refresh, we are now down to 3 per refresh, plus how many games need to be fully checked.

thank you Sam for this great solution, and sorry for the trouble my tool has caused you :)

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
so, 10.1.1 is out addressing this, along with many cool features. for the features you can read the changelog, they should be fairly intuitive.

ill explain the situation better with the refreshes. as we all know, up until now the refresh was done in 2 steps, first a HEAD request to check for a redirect, which happens when the title changes, and therefore usually indicates an update. when a redirect is found, then that game is queued for a full check to get the new game data. if a game doesnt get a full refresh for more than a week, then it is forced to do one.

problem with this system is that while HEAD requests are very fast and lightweight for the user, they are about as heavy as a normal page load on the server and the forum was having issues handling so many connections at the same time.

so Sam came to me with another compromise / solution. he made a special api that is separated from the main forum that only serves version numbers for games, and takes up to 100 thread ids at a time. so now the refresh breaks down the game list into groups of 100, does a fast check on them with the new api, and then it does the usual. if a version number change is found, then make it go through a full check, and same if it hasnt been fully checked in more than a week.

this way the fast refreshes now boil down to 100 times less requests, and each of those is even lighter and faster. win-win for everyone. however for full checks it still needs to get the full thread pages, so to avoid causing too many issues i lowered the number of workers during full checks to a tenth of what you put in the setting in the sidebar. so now, considering the default settings, the fast checks will be able to simultaneously check up to 20000 (lol) games (via 20 requests of 100 games each) and the full checks will proceed 2 thread pages at a time. now of course that number is unrealistic, so for the average user this change means that from maybe 200 - 300 requests per refresh, we are now down to 3 per refresh, plus how many games need to be fully checked.

thank you Sam for this great solution, and sorry for the trouble my tool has caused you :)
It prompted me to update today and I clicked the button to let it proceed, then I stopped paying attention to it.
I just noticed that it didn't come back up, so I tried to click on the shortcut on my desktop and it didn't go anywhere.
I went and looked in the installation directory and I only have an extension and lib folder. What do I do now? Please oh please tell me my DB wasn't just lost.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
It prompted me to update today and I clicked the button to let it proceed, then I stopped paying attention to it.
I just noticed that it didn't come back up, so I tried to click on the shortcut on my desktop and it didn't go anywhere.
I went and looked in the installation directory and I only have an extension and lib folder. What do I do now? Please oh please tell me my DB wasn't just lost.
delete them and redownload manually. db is not in tool folder but in appdata, so unless you put the tool itself in appdata, youre fine

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
I just downloaded the new zip and dropped the new files into the directory and it seems to have poofed back to life.

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
since this new api (read above) was thrown together quickly, this lil bug slipped through, oops o_O i expected the version to always be a text string, but there was a rare chance it returned an integer number instead. told sam and hes fixing it up right now, you should be able to retry in a bit and have it work

EDIT: should now be fixed

Reactions: simple_human

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
just got this by clicking on mine I see it's not the first time according to comments and it might be an old error but I'll be on the look out if it happens again
1674519476889.png

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Any chance we could get an option to add custom photo's WillyJL? I apologize if it's already been asked. Awesome program man!
Thanks.
lmfao. read the changelog on 10.1.1 (literally came out yesterday). right click on the image in the info popup.

Reactions: Blither

GERTRUD12

Jun 12, 2017
Hi again.

I STILL can't get the auto updater to work :LOL: The update that rolled out today(yesterday?)

1. I removed everything in the %temp% Folder.
2. I did a Disk Cleanup On both of my drives, the one with the app and the windows drive
3. I have "uninstalled" the app fully every time.
4. I have tried running the app in administrative when updating. no change.
5. When the Powershell shows up nothing "shows up" it is just a blank shell that closes but when ever i try to open the program again it just says to update again.
6. After the update is "done" the program does not open by it self. Nothing happens.

Am I missing something about this program when it updates? Do the files get located somewhere else? I can see that the %temp% Folder has multiple programs but the "main" folder does not get updated. I can still open the "main" app even after the update.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hi again.

I STILL can't get the auto updater to work :LOL: The update that rolled out today(yesterday?)

1. I removed everything in the %temp% Folder.
2. I did a Disk Cleanup On both of my drives, the one with the app and the windows drive
3. I have "uninstalled" the app fully every time.
4. I have tried running the app in administrative when updating. no change.
5. When the Powershell shows up nothing "shows up" it is just a blank shell that closes but when ever i try to open the program again it just says to update again.
6. After the update is "done" the program does not open by it self. Nothing happens.

Am I missing something about this program when it updates? Do the files get located somewhere else? I can see that the %temp% Folder has multiple programs but the "main" folder does not get updated. I can still open the "main" app even after the update.
after you talked about this issue with the update *to* 10.0, i had made the fix for console output during updates, and made a fake binary for you to try but you missed it, so that fix for console output is now in 10.1.1 and will be used for the update to the next version... since i knew of the issue *after* 10.0 was out, 10.0 itself does not have the fix. it is in 10.1.1, and will be used for the next update. now it actually isnt even a real fix, it just fixes the console output so we can know what goes wrong. if you check out that fake binary now it will try to update to 10.1.1 but that one *does* have the console output fixed, so that could give some info.

Reactions: GERTRUD12
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes