LawhornLeo

Jun 2, 2017
The Memory Game for building intellect seems bugged. Even if I get the right choice for the first time I pick a tile, it doesn't lock the tiles. It wastes time when you get the correct combination but have to flip the same two cards again just because the first time didn't count for some reason - this results in losing intellect for a bugged system.

That, and the second tile you flip unflips so fast you don't really get any time to tell what card it was. Also, the amount of time it remains seems variable. As if it's running on a tick timer that's constantly going despite whether a tile is flipped or not.

From trying again (repeatedly) - it seems only -sometimes- does this bug out.

MercuryDev

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2020
The Memory Game for building intellect seems bugged. Even if I get the right choice for the first time I pick a tile, it doesn't lock the tiles. It wastes time when you get the correct combination but have to flip the same two cards again just because the first time didn't count for some reason - this results in losing intellect for a bugged system.

That, and the second tile you flip unflips so fast you don't really get any time to tell what card it was. Also, the amount of time it remains seems variable. As if it's running on a tick timer that's constantly going despite whether a tile is flipped or not.

From trying again (repeatedly) - it seems only -sometimes- does this bug out.
Yeah, I'm gonna be honest, I saw that problem when testing the build. Seems really annoying, but I still manage to finish the minigame on time somehow, so I decided to keep the things as they are. But yeah, bug is bug, I really should do something in the next version. Thank you for your feedback!

Uog

Oct 9, 2017
Is it just me or are the old saves broken? It appears that new captures require: right day tracked by day variable and right time of day with time variable (those exist) AND 'girlname'_captured set to false. Old saves are not updated to new version so u don't have the last variable and can never start the event without messing with the console.

MercuryDev

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2020
Is it just me or are the old saves broken? It appears that new captures require: right day tracked by day variable and right time of day with time variable (those exist) AND 'girlname'_captured set to false. Old saves are not updated to new version so u don't have the last variable and can never start the event without messing with the console.
Yeah, unfortunately the old saves won't work, I'll try to fix the problem in the new updates so players wouldn't be forced to start all over again and again.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

X2Z

Aug 8, 2017
i'd love to see an actual VN with hot girls based on this kinda concept that'd be fun

broken_division

Compressor
Oct 4, 2017
Hi there MercuryDev
i was asked to compress the game
and i found out that all the video files are webp not mp4/webm
you can save alot by changing those + auto play the vids just like gif/webp does.

sadly i can't do it manually for you
the game is now 300 mb from 2.66 gb but i can't figure out a quick way of changing the html file

have a good one :)

MercuryDev

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2020
Hi there MercuryDev
you can save alot by changing those + auto play the vids just like gif/webp does.

the game is now 300 mb from 2.66 gb but i can't figure out a quick way of changing the html file
Pixeldrain
Hey there!
Thank you. Yeah, I know about the possibility of using .mp4 instead of .webp, and I actually was thinking about doing this. Well, since someone asked you, it means I have an actual request from my players, so I'll definately get busy with it!

Sonico

Forum Fanatic
Jul 21, 2018
Hi there MercuryDev

Pixeldrain
Keep getting "Error: cannot find a closing tag for HTML <video>" messages. Any suggestions of how to correct this?

Calisar

May 26, 2020
The new memory minigame seems incredibly awkward, since the second pick flips back almost immediately which makes it hard to tell what you even picked.
It also feels perhaps more frustrating then fun to lose points on a loss, when your already dealing with a limited number of runs and all that.
Best of luck going forward though.

Reactions: MercuryDev

broken_division

Compressor
Oct 4, 2017
Keep getting "Error: cannot find a closing tag for HTML <video>" messages. Any suggestions of how to correct this?
that was broken to begin with, not working compressed version of the game.
but frear not, the next time the dev will make it fit.
Hey there!
Thank you. Yeah, I know about the possibility of using .mp4 instead of .webp, and I actually was thinking about doing this. Well, since someone asked you, it means I have an actual request from my players, so I'll definately get busy with it!

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
MercuryDev

re: Fixing "old" Saves.

When you state "Old saves won't work with this version due to the game engine limitations, sorry" (emphasis mine) in your project's 1st Passage, do you mean:
1. SugarCube's game engine doesn't allow an Author to "fix" Saves created using a previous release of a project.
2. The game engine you implemented for your project doesn't support fixing saves.

Because if you mean the 1st then you should research the function, and how to use the property to determine when to "fix" a Save. And if you are storing important stateful data outside the Story Variable system then you may also need to research the function as well.

re: Memory Match game

While a timer thread (like that created by <<repeat>>) is executing its associated code it interferes with the end-user's ability to interact with the web-page. The duration of that interference depends on how long it takes to process/execute the associated code.

Your implementation of Memory Match has two such timers, one that is executing its code every second, and another that executes its code just over 4 times a second. So in total there are 5-6 times every second when the end-user can't select a card.

While it makes sense to use a timer to track the count down of second remaining in the game, the code that:
a. determines if a pair has been correctly selected.
b. resets both incorrect cards.
c. determines if all correct selections have been made, thus successful game over.

...should all be handed in the click event of the card, which you are using <<link>> macros to implement.

Last edited:

MercuryDev

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2020
MercuryDev

re: Fixing "old" Saves.

When you state "Old saves won't work with this version due to the game engine limitations, sorry" (emphasis mine) in your project's 1st Passage, do you mean:
1. SugarCube's game engine doesn't allow an Author to "fix" Saves created using a previous release of a project.
2. The game engine you implemented for your project doesn't support fixing saves.

Because if you mean the 1st then you should research the function, and how to use the property to determine when to "fix" a Save. And if you are storing important stateful data outside the Story Variable system then you may also need to research the function as well.

re: Memory Match game

While a timer thread (like that created by <<repeat>>) is executing its associated code it interferes with the end-user's ability to interact with the web-page. The duration of that interference depends on how long it takes to process/execute the associated code.

Your implementation of Memory Match has two such timers, one that is executing its code every second, and another that executes its code just over 4 times a second. So in total there are 5-6 times every second when the end-user can't select a card.

While it makes sense to use a timer to track the count down of second remaining in the game, the code that:
a. determines if a pair has been correctly selected.
b. resets both incorrect cards.
c. determines if all correct selections have been made, thus successful game over.

...should all be handed in the click event of the card, which you are using <<link>> macros to implement.
Woah. My greatest thanks to you for that! I appreciate it, especially the fact how specific and detailed your message is.

Speaking of fixing old saves, I think I've already come up with a solution, but anyways I didn't know about the function you've mentioned! I'll definately look into it and learn to use it.

About Memory game, well, what can I say, you're talking to a Senior HTML developer as I like to call myself, lol. My coding skill, even though it's been improving since I started to work on my games, still sucks, and I'm always happy when there's a person who helps me with it. Your point is a good one, I'm gonna stick with it when it'll come to re-work the minigame before the next release.

Again, thank you very much. I hope you enjoyed the game despite all of the rough spots.

theickobicko

May 29, 2019
the memory game is completely broken for me. i open the first image and when i click on the second image both closes so fast I can't see the second image at all. it flashes for some microseconds...
I see that this is commented already.
but usually in this kind of games, the two pictures you open stay open until you click on a third picture (when the two are not the same)

Last edited:

MercuryDev

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2020
the memory game is completely broken for me. i open the first image and when i click on the second image both closes so fast I can't see the second image at all. it flashes for some microseconds...
I see that this is commented already.
but usually in this kind of games, the two pictures you open stay open until you click on a third picture (when the two are not the same)
Huh. That's an another interesting solution. I haven't seen that in any variations of this game I personally played, to be honest, but I'll try your concept anyways and see how it goes.

theickobicko

May 29, 2019
Huh. That's an another interesting solution. I haven't seen that in any variations of this game I personally played, to be honest, but I'll try your concept anyways and see how it goes.
yeah, it's an option. you can add a red border around or something like that, if it feel confusing that wrong items stay open.

3.20 star(s) 13 Votes