• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

TinyTanya

May 11, 2018
Software used to activate key's is appearantly Eleckey by sciensoft ( ) i have never heard of it so no clue how hard it is to crack it, i suppose if someone here knows how to use a debugger he could give it a try, i'm still not very good at reversing myself unfortunately and the protection seems to have anti debugging code like most drm solutions these days ( )
The Ekag20nt.exe of this drm solution also doesn't seem to close itself and stays active even without the game for whatever reason looking at Google shows it's also used in other tools like Asrock's Virtu MVP and causes all kinds of problems with other games.

Reactions: Lif3mau5

furyxhd

Apr 16, 2019
Not sure why the Elksey service needs to run even after the program has ended. Might want to check your task manager/run a scan.

TinyTanya

May 11, 2018
Not sure why the Elksey service needs to run even after the program has ended. Might want to check your task manager/run a scan.
Deleted it anyway since there is no way to activate it for non patreons atm and i will not subscribe to his patreon again until he removes this crap.

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
Didnt he say something along the lines of "I dont care if people pirates the game, you can even ask me for a download link in a DM" and understanding that its actually publicity?

Its not like putting in DRM is going to make more people pay. I still dont even know what the fuck the game is supposed to be about or what is that other game they constantly talk about. Fuck I dont even know if its another game or what is it.

I doubt this will get a crack tbh. Dont think enough people is going to give enough of a fuck to get someone among them that cares enough to crack it.

yomamasass

Mar 18, 2018
Didnt he say something along the lines of "I dont care if people pirates the game, you can even ask me for a download link in a DM" and understanding that its actually publicity?

Its not like putting in DRM is going to make more people pay.
Their publisher probably didn't like that idea :p Project Helius already said "Just wait for the steam version to get cracked." which means we are fucked. I was willing to try some crack work but the protection is just too heavy i don't see a way without an actual professional getting involved, or someone finding another hole in the system (which will got patched every month).

Alternatively we can fuck up the system by someone just taking videos of each animation and loop them, then cobbling them together with flash like those linear ass shitty pre rendered japanese 10 minute games that you have literally no input on.

My only wish was them actually implementing this drm shit after alet but oh well.

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
Their publisher probably didn't like that idea :p Project Helius already said "Just wait for the steam version to get cracked." which means we are fucked. I was willing to try some crack work but the protection is just too heavy i don't see a way without an actual professional getting involved, or someone finding another hole in the system (which will got patched every month).

Alternatively we can fuck up the system by someone just taking videos of each animation and loop them, then cobbling them together with flash like those linear ass shitty pre rendered japanese 10 minute games that you have literally no input on.

My only wish was them actually implementing this drm shit after alet but oh well.
Eh, I hope shitting over potential buyers is worth the publisher. I at least am no longer going to pay fucking shit for this, and I was very likely going to when the full game released as I have with so many other games.

Evans15

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017

I feel the same way, I wanted to see if Alet could make me become a Patron or not, but I hate DRM with passion so if Alet isn't going to be in a public, not censored, version then my attention is going elsewhere.

drpavelcia

Aug 19, 2018

I'm willing to try cracking it myself but I can't get it from the Google link. If there was a Mega link or something I could at least try it; I've done a little bit of this sort of thing before.

Reactions: DickFartVaginaButt

NukaCola

Engaged Member
Jul 1, 2017
I'm willing to try cracking it myself but I can't get it from the Google link. If there was a Mega link or something I could at least try it; I've done a little bit of this sort of thing before.
Why can't you get it from google link? if its beucase exceed download quota you can create a copy on your google drive and download it or just use my copy.

156_163_146_167

Engaged Member
Jun 5, 2017
So the thing about the $295 post. Was that for real, or just a mess-up? I assumed it was the latter, because who in their right mind would make a post only accessible for such a high tier. But I don't know how Patreon works so I don't know if you can "demote" a post to make it accessible for lower tiers. I don't see the post anymore at least, so that makes me believe it's not possible.

I agree that the DRM is likely only going to hurt the project. Keeping things locked down in general is not good for publicity. I know of another H game dev on Patreon that seemingly vanished from the face of the earth because they decided to send the builds directly through messages instead of in a post on Patreon. This resulted in the game being pretty much impossible to find unless you know where to find it. Fortunately there are still people that handle it much better. Those that don't nuke any sign of piracy or anything like that, and that actually engage in conversation on forums like this one. Those are the ones that receive my money in the end.

On the whole I always thought that this game was pretty good. At the very least it had some outstanding animations. You don't see that kind of quality often. But there are things that just bring the game down so badly, like the horrible camera. And now this whole fiasco with DRM. I've also come to the realization that development of this game has been very slow. How I have been blind to that fact thus far I don't know. There still isn't any gameplay to speak of. It's just an animation viewer. But at this point I expect a slow death for this project unless changes are made.

iAmErmac

Aug 20, 2018
IMO better way to crack this is to unpack the encrypted pak file using some tool like QuickBMS or something (couldn't figure out about how to use the sig file to decrypt) and then repack unencrypted and use in the v1.29 build (just like how we did in v1.30)

Reactions: Bod77

TinyTanya

May 11, 2018
IMO better way to crack this is to unpack the encrypted pak file using some tool like QuickBMS or something (couldn't figure out about how to use the sig file to decrypt) and then repack unencrypted and use in the v1.29 build (just like how we did in v1.30)
That only really worked because the exe of 1.29 didn't have a lot of changes compared to 1.30 it will not work again.

Reactions: yokujouhhh

iAmErmac

Aug 20, 2018
Never worked on UE but with a hex editor I can see the pak file cosists a bunch of assets mostly. The changes on the launcher could be just the decryption methods added. If the game updates carry the same subroutines to load the game, unpacking the assests should load the new scripts and assests just fine on the no-so-older version launcher, well in theory of-course. Someone need to take a look at this if this really works (much easier than cracking a DRM I suppose).

omegabox

Jan 3, 2018
So the thing about the $295 post. Was that for real, or just a mess-up? I assumed it was the latter, because who in their right mind would make a post only accessible for such a high tier. But I don't know how Patreon works so I don't know if you can "demote" a post to make it accessible for lower tiers. I don't see the post anymore at least, so that makes me believe it's not possible.

I agree that the DRM is likely only going to hurt the project. Keeping things locked down in general is not good for publicity. I know of another H game dev on Patreon that seemingly vanished from the face of the earth because they decided to send the builds directly through messages instead of in a post on Patreon. This resulted in the game being pretty much impossible to find unless you know where to find it. Fortunately there are still people that handle it much better. Those that don't nuke any sign of piracy or anything like that, and that actually engage in conversation on forums like this one. Those are the ones that receive my money in the end.

On the whole I always thought that this game was pretty good. At the very least it had some outstanding animations. You don't see that kind of quality often. But there are things that just bring the game down so badly, like the horrible camera. And now this whole fiasco with DRM. I've also come to the realization that development of this game has been very slow. How I have been blind to that fact thus far I don't know. There still isn't any gameplay to speak of. It's just an animation viewer. But at this point I expect a slow death for this project unless changes are made.

They should really hire a pr guy

Reactions: bigpenniser
D

Deleted member 1387011

I think I'm just going to wait until its done. I dont like their attitude.

redrosid

Sep 20, 2018
I spent a few minutes yesterday looking at it, the drm's not obfuscated in any way, part of it is in c# and part of it is c++. it sends a http request to *some ip*:5534/service.asmx (which I redirected to localhost by adding a loopback adapter), and it wants a response similar to
C:
            Response.ContentType = "text/xml";
            Response.StatusCode = 200;

string errorCode = "0";
            string errorMessage = "";
            string activated = "true";
            string destroyed = "false";
            string maxActivations = "1337";
            string activationCount = "1";
            string licUpgradeId = "1";
            string licKey = "1337133713371337";
            string res = $"<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\"?><soap:Envelope xmlns:soap=\"http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\" xmlns:xsi=\"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance\" xmlns:xsd=\"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema\"><soap:Body><GetStatusResponse xmlns=\"http://demo.eleckey.net/\"><GetStatusResult><ErrorCode>{errorCode}</ErrorCode><ErrorMessage>{errorMessage}</ErrorMessage><ActivationMode>0</ActivationMode><Activated>{activated}</Activated><Destroyed>{destroyed}</Destroyed><MaxActivation>{maxActivations}</MaxActivation><ActivationCount>{activationCount}</ActivationCount><LicUpgradeID>{licUpgradeId}</LicUpgradeID><LicenseKey>{licKey}</LicenseKey></GetStatusResult></GetStatusResponse></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>";

return Content(res);
but once that is finished, the c++ portion of the drm complains about the license being invalid (or whatever..) and I was too lazy to tryhard in IDA to find what it exactly checks. all of the exports in the c# portion of the drm (Deactivation.exe and Phsrv.dll) are named functions in the c++ dll (ekc6420.dll or ekc3220.dll)

if I had a valid key I could use to activate it and sniff the packets I'd probably be able to fake a valid response, but oh well.
I used dnspy for exploring the c# part of the drm, and ida for c++ bits

source for the web app in attachments (.net core 3)

4.30 star(s) 25 Votes