Ren'Py Family, Friends and Strangers [v2024.06] [JohnAndRich]

4.00 star(s) 67 Votes

fotogaik

May 13, 2017
I very much dislike the opinion that one can control artistic endeavors as though they ought to be managed through a political process.

How's that? Better? Let's run with that.
As if art wasn't directed through patronage over the centuries. Patronage, commissions, seeking popularity by showing off to market to potential customers, resulting in higher income. Rarely did artists have the opportunity to truly express themselves.

Patreon is just a modern way to enable patronage and there are different ways to manage patron expectations. There are creators who aim to please the crowds as much as possible, creating for the sake of marketing themselves only. There are others who follow through with their original vision completely ignoring their patron input. And there's a whole spectrum in between.

Obviously some creators can't afford to lose their patreon income and will trade their artistic integrity for popularity. There are some who already have enough income to go around and will not sacrifice an iota of their integrity.

Funny how the latter frequently have more devoted fans than the former.

Reactions: bk1

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
As if art wasn't directed through patronage over the centuries. Patronage, commissions, seeking popularity by showing off to market to potential customers, resulting in higher income. Rarely did artists have the opportunity to truly express themselves.

Patreon is just a modern way to enable patronage and there are different ways to manage patron expectations. There are creators who aim to please the crowds as much as possible, creating for the sake of marketing themselves only. There are others who follow through with their original vision completely ignoring their patron input. And there's a whole spectrum in between.

Obviously some creators can't afford to lose their patreon income and will trade their artistic integrity for popularity. There are some who already have enough income to go around and will not sacrifice an iota of their integrity.

And this is why most creators can not afford to lose their day jobs and stable income, leaving art on the second place as a hobby.
That gives them stability and security and artistic freedom, but little time for art.

tharsheblows

Apr 4, 2024

100% spot on. However, patronage is one thing, catering to the whims of the masses is another.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Is there any gallery mode to unlock all possibilities chapters?
Sigh.

There are exactly two choices in the entire project, so getting to all the content isn't exactly hard.

Apparently all you want is to watch the videos, without paying attention to any of the story. So, fire it up, press TAB to put it in fast-forward mode, and just let it play through. Create a save when you get the choice in Chapter 9, return to that, make the other choice and press TAB again.

And then move on to the next game you just want to fap to and use the same technique.

Jeez.

tharsheblows

Apr 4, 2024
Sigh.

There are exactly two choices in the entire project, so getting to all the content isn't exactly hard.

Apparently all you want is to watch the videos, without paying attention to any of the story. So, fire it up, press TAB to put it in fast-forward mode, and just let it play through. Create a save when you get the choice in Chapter 9, return to that, make the other choice and press TAB again.

And then move on to the next game you just want to fap to and use the same technique.

Jeez.
Above and beyond, Rich. Above and beyond.
:LOL:You really should give a count for each time you've answered this.

InstaPrincess

Apr 24, 2023
Just to say that I really loved the 2024.06 update. It's only $2!

I thought you'd stall Becky another time, but it really was time now. The dynamic with Ashley and more so Jenna is really interesting on this path.

Melanie and Carl are really wholesome right now and I am not sure if it'll stay that way or if it is just a setup for them to fail even more spectacularly.

In the beginning of the story I was pretty sure where it'd all go, but at this point I am not sure if Rich is evil enough to not make this all a happy end too. We will see.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: BulgariAMARA

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Just to say that I really loved the 2024.06 update. It's only $2!

I thought you'd stall Becky another time, but it really was time now. The dynamic with Ashley and more so Jenna is really interesting on this path.

Melanie and Carl are really wholesome right now and I am not sure if it'll stay that way or if it is just a setup for them to fail even more spectacularly.

In the beginning of the story I was pretty sure where it'd all go, but at this point I am not sure if Rich is evil enough to not make this all a happy end too. We will see.
Thanks for the nice comments. Glad that you're enjoying the story.

There are elements of this path that have been planned since the start of the project. (This path is the original arc that JohnCBB and I planned. The other "happy ending for Parker and Becky" path was one that I couldn't resist including.) There are other elements of this path that have sort of "evolved" as the story went on. The Ashley dynamic is one of those, while the Jenna dynamic is one of the "planned" things.

I don't know about other writers, but I find that, to a certain extent, my characters have a life of there own, and sometimes they head in directions I hadn't planned. That's part of the fun of creating something like this, I guess.

tharsheblows

Apr 4, 2024
I don't know about other writers, but I find that, to a certain extent, my characters have a life of there own, and sometimes they head in directions I hadn't planned. That's part of the fun of creating something like this, I guess.
That is absolutely the case for me. It's important that we allow characters to have agency over their lives. In doing so, they tell us their decisions which keeps the story alive for us as we tell it to others.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
That is absolutely the case for me. It's important that we allow characters to have agency over their lives. In doing so, they tell us their decisions which keeps the story alive for us as we tell it to others.
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who has their characters talking back to them. LOL

4.00 star(s) 67 Votes