Arkady

May 15, 2018
Europe started calling it soccer?
Not really. Still waiting on Americans to finally realize that while "football" is a pretty good name for footie, it's a spectacularly unintuitive misnomer for a game that does not, for the most part, involve actually footing the ball. And to think it was Ivy Leaguers who were too bloody stupid to figure that out while developing their rugby for pussies that anyone with a lick of sense should have called American Handball...

Last edited:

Kevin Smarts

Respected User
Game Developer
Jul 21, 2017
Not really. Still waiting on Americans to finally realize that while "football" is a pretty good name for footie, it's a spectacularly unintuitive misnomer for a game that does not, for the most part, involve actually footing the ball. And to think it was Ivy Leaguers who were too bloody stupid to figure that out while developing their rugby for pussies that anyone with a lick of sense should have called American Handball...
You mean adapting Rugby Football? Gridiron football split from the Rugby football union in 1880 when they decided that instead of a scrummage they should have a line of scrimmage after the ball was fairly held during a tackle. It was 15 years later that the two rugby codes formed with the Northern Rugby Football Union forming to allow players to be paid and eventually becoming Rugby League. Now it is possible that they could have gone with American rugby but seeing as everyone saw rugby as a version of football it made more sense for them to follow the Canadians in naming convention and go with American football, something the Australians would also do.
The Rugby Footbal League (RFL) and Rugby Football Union (RFU) are still the governing bodies in the UK for Rugby.

redhand

Jun 29, 2017
I really like this game and the spy stuff included, and the writing tends to be pretty good all things considered.

If the project gets to where it says it wants to, it will be a really great success.

I do wish there was more avatar customization - the hairstyles are pretty limited for example, and the player character background seems limited in options. It seems like if they would just port over some of the elements of the discontinued lines of development to the current one, it would help. For now, a lot of the character skills and XP development stuff seems pointless, doesn't actually do anything and isn't accessible in the UI.

But the biggest issue I have is with pace of development. Its not so much the author's output as it is the failure to delegate a lot of the code cleanup and polishing work to volunteers or beta testers. If you are going slow with the story because of writers block or whatever, fine, but that doesn't mean the weeks you spend working through that should not see progress on the technical and polish end of things.

damppanties

Jul 24, 2019
Just finished 1.6.3 but 1.15.1 is the newest version with more content? How does this work? What version should I play?

vicaddict

Sep 29, 2019
Just finished 1.6.3 but 1.15.1 is the newest version with more content? How does this work? What version should I play?
1.15.1 is the up to date version. 1.6.3 is a version that was abandoned years ago, when the content was scrapped, redone or put on hold until further notice. Ironically, most people seem to prefer the earlier version of the game. Maybe because it was actually more along the lines of what it wanted to be or what it was promised to be.

While I happily admit that after the relaunch the game finally managed to do what people have been asking for, namely making its way to Thailand, it has become a very linear and limited visual novel. That makes it even more dubious as to what months of storyboarding and writing actually accomplish. Very little content for a very long developmental cycle.

Reactions: Mwanted and D4n0w4r

Kevin Smarts

Respected User
Game Developer
Jul 21, 2017
You underestimate his ability to make fancy posts about working hard while accomplishing very little. At least another month assuming he doesn't run into a problem he can dramatize on Patreon posts over a couple weeks.
The only other game developer I know to have managed such a slow output had her right arm and a couple of ribs broken badly when hit by a motorbike. I think she still managed more because she wrote out some scenes on paper with her left hand as she couldn't even use her PC properly with the pain. That and there is one writer on GL who is glacially slow but we're doing what we can to help him with that.

Nope

Aug 5, 2016
The only other game developer I know to have managed such a slow output had her right arm and a couple of ribs broken badly when hit by a motorbike. I think she still managed more because she wrote out some scenes on paper with her left hand as she couldn't even use her PC properly with the pain. That and there is one writer on GL who is glacially slow but we're doing what we can to help him with that.
On some level I can't help but admire it. I mean his Patrons are obviously ok with it based on comments so why even try to do better? As far as slower devs with similar games I would say Spendid Ostrich (Newlife) is way slower. That said, he/she doesn't even pretend to give a fuck at this point.

I personally look forward to traumatizing the caretakers in the retirement home while playing this game. ED meds should be pretty much perfect by that point.

Kristof29

Aug 6, 2016
I dont think most of his patreons remember that they are still subbed to him. Crush is like a youtube channel at this point. Few thousand followers but each post less than 50 likes. Even this thread is mostly dead.

chino222

Mar 19, 2018
You underestimate his ability to make fancy posts about working hard while accomplishing very little. At least another month assuming he doesn't run into a problem he can dramatize on Patreon posts over a couple weeks.
Hey guys. Sorry for the late report...
Hey guys! This week I've been creating....
It was really hard. But....
Hey guys! I had a good, solid week....
We only have to wait patiently

volcanicH

Feb 1, 2020
I assume he tries for the end of the month, i.e. a couple weeks. But considering the sarcasm in my first post and the fact he managed to “polish” a single scene in the entire week, one might say i'm not entirely convinced he'll manage.

Reactions: D4n0w4r

voerman

Apr 8, 2020
A shame,
I finally gave in and tried the Bangkok content and really like it. I'd love to see more of that. The writing is actually quite good.
The problem is that without the character creation, the skill checks are meaningless, as you don't have actually developed any skills to be different from one player to another.
And obviously, I do not know in how many years I should check back in for a significant content increase.

Reactions: mathias
3.50 star(s) 117 Votes