VN Ren'Py Foster Home for Fantasy Girls [v0.3.8 Final Frontier] [CardinalRed & Tired Txxus]

4.70 star(s) 55 Votes

Txxus

Game Developer
Dec 6, 2017
Just kinda wish the proportional experimentation was reserved for new characters added to the story, but at the end of the day its your to do with how you want.
I'll tone it down for future scenes and make it an in-between this and the old "style" and I'll have the programer look into the possibility of letting the player choose between the old portraits if they want to.

Den Roze

Jan 2, 2020
Her new face is quite nice to look at, I like em cute, theres a charm in it, but the thigh and ass need a bit more "FAT". Her calf is thicker than her thigh and I think that is the biggest problem. Unless if we feed her more food and have her ass and thigh fatten a bit or a lot over time, then this is fine without you trying to scrape all of your new art. I also like a full body display instead only just half but eh any of those are still a good eye candy for me, Just a bit of adjustment on her lower half and I think she will be nice to look at unless u intend not to. Tho I forgotten Fey's prologue like if she is not well fed or what before meeting player but there is always a way to improvise. I can still fap with your new art.

Saw your twitter art, honestly you got a good drawing skill, I like em.

Dongibab kipidap.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Boardguy and Txxus

Deragonison

Jul 5, 2017
just played through current content for the first time, am loving it, elf girl is sexy as fuck, goblin is aight, honestly was hoping she was going to have small titties when i clicked on the bra and hid it, was the only time other than when i got to end of current content that i was disappointed, cant wait for more

Reactions: Txxus

Ursaum

Nov 26, 2019
As a complete new player and playing this game for the first time in this update, first impressions where not bad, It was a surprise the more cartoonish drawings and that made me wonder where the art of hers being a little older I would occasionally see were coming from, after playing for a bit I must say that every once in a while where the old style would make its way to the scene it was a nice surprise, it would seem more like a zoom in in her real appearence rather than a completely different art style, I understand now that the update was for the solely purpose of a graphic overhaul and I see how people might be dissatisfied, the old style really pushes more to an artistical side, and that all comes down to taste, the way it is now feels like a more detailed scene is being served for specific events, while the new style becomes the norm, both styles work well together imo, I dont think you should completely drop what you did in this version, but again, its the first time im playing, I might already be biased towards your new style since it doesnt feel out of place, sorry for the english, its not my native language

Txxus

Game Developer
Dec 6, 2017
New style isn't bad just seems like it would be better in comedy cutscenes instead of the standard interactions
Just trying to find my art style. I'll improve in the future. Also, I forgot to mention it here but I'm sick AF. So you guys won't see much of me for a few days. Here's a sketch of something I'm doing while trying to not die. 1667606752600.png

Reactions: rrapa

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
I still think the biggest issue is that of first impressions

The first impression of the new style is a picture featuring some inconsistencies and incongruities. not only compared to the old style but also compared to other pictures of the new style.

new_1.png

When scaled to the same head size, you note that the first impression picture size only has 62% of the waist of the other picture in the new style I included in the comparison.

which itself was only 52% of the old style. however the old style is looking straight at us. which is an angle at which it is supposed to be wider (although it was still ridiculously slim).
Both examples of new style seem to be at a 45 degree angle to the viewer. one towards to the left and one towards the right. And you would expect in such a case for both of them to have the same width.

This almost feels like a misguided attempt at perspective? because perspective works on subtle changes not on massive huge changes. unless you are trying to draw a road that is 1000 meters long. But in this case you are drawing a single person. so there should not be much perspective warping

Additionally the pose taken in the first impression is literally impossible. She looks like she is floating in the air instead of standing on the floor.
While other new style pictures have realistic poses
her ass is similarly inconsistently small in the first impression picture of the new style compared to the other new style picture.
There is also a significant emphasis on her legs and feet which is offputting to some.
And the legs also have odd proportions. her legs shrink until the kneee, where they enlarge massively and then shrink again.

Overall I think there are multiple issues at hand. Yes, some people just prefer the old style.
But another issue is that the first impression of either style you get is the idle picture of fay as you enter into her room.
For the old style it was one of the best.
For the new style it is the worst picture of the new style.
And it has some serious issues and inconsistencies compared to other new style pictures.

Txxus

Game Developer
Dec 6, 2017
PLEASE READ THIS WITH OPEN MIND: I've been doing nsfw art for less than 2 years and I have no proper art education. I recognize there may have been cons on changing the style than I didn't consider. This game has always been a struggle from the very beginning as it's so slow and takes so much effort and time to produce even a small amount of content that if I want to try something different and not burn out I have to do it within the game and... maybe that is telling me something. I'll step away from the game progress a week or two. Consider where I want to go as an artist. Like mrttao says, I messed up proportions and I didn't even realize. Maybe I should spend more time learning and improviming my art skills and education before working on a project? Idk, I gotta do some thinking. I aimed for a more cartoonish style and maybe I should have done the complete opposite and is my lack of education that lead to that, (Or maybe not, Idk, maybe I just lack confidence in my decisions and I'm easily swayed). No, I'm not dropping the game, most likely. WORST case scenario would be a somewhat long hiatus to improve my skills, do commissions for a few seasons (god knows that even with patreon set up the time and energies dedicated to this project hurt my finances big time), and then come back and redo the game from scratch once I know I'll be able to stay consistent on the art style. I DON'T THINK IT'LL COME TO THAT because the idea of redoing everything sounds exhausting, so don't worry too much. Just letting you know that even worst case scenario, the game wouldn't die. As a matter of fact I want to keep using the same characters in future projects and try some fun stuff like webcomics. The kind of artistic freedom this project has deprived me of for nearly 2 years, and mostly put up with due to the unexpected welcome it received. Even if it were to come to the game being remade, I'd still want to first finish Fey's main storyline first. So I'll implement the clothing system on a small update before the month is over, focus on story progress on her during next updates and then I'll take a decision. It would be nice to not get too many replies to this message, or if they were on the understanding side if there are.

Txxus

Game Developer
Dec 6, 2017
Take as much time as you need or want, but please revert to the older art. It was a large part of the charm.

A late game is eventually good, but a rushed game is bad forever, as they say.
I already said I'll step back closer to the old art style from now on, on all the scenes. But the new portraits I have made stay, since the old portraits are not fit for clothing system (they are not multi layered and are too big). I'll talk with the programmer about enabling the old portraits in the future, with only the core dresses for event triggering for the old portraits. I'm trying to meet you and other ppl that are not too happy with the new style half way. I won't do scenes on the cartoonish style on the future, they'll remain closer to the older art style. And on the second game that will be the case too. Until all that takes place all I ask is that the ppl that are not happy with the new stuff put up with it for a while. I won't make such cartooney styles for important assets on the future, and I'll keep it for more promotional stuff. Which it really sucks for me cuz I was really looking forward to explore other styles, but I guess fans of the game's happiness come first. Again: The new portraits stay, but we'll enable an option to go back to the old portraits down the road once I have decided what dresses will be core, and no serious scenes will use this new art style. You'll have to put up with the new portraits for some time before you can go back to the older ones. All I ask is patience. And if you haven't reviewed the game yet on this website please consider doing so. A high score makes the game more visible, it leads to me getting more support and being able to spend more time on it. AND if you guys like the art in game, visit my other medias. I have a lot of fanarts in pixel art and similar style to what's in game.

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely have to throw my hat into the ring for the old art style on this one, unfortunately. It feels bad because I think you ARE a good artist and the non-pixel stuff you've posted for other projects seems alright. I also understand how much work probably went into just that one pose and getting a negative reaction on your work always hurts - I do creative writing so I know that feeling personally.

I think what you want to go for here is a more subtle change. I'm not adverse to things being more cartoony in appearance, per-se, but I will point out that even in the old style they already are very cartoonish; by exaggerating that too much you wind up distorting them into something more... Cal-arts. It definitely feels heftier the further you move into that region, and that severe and sudden shift is probably what's setting people off. As well as that one sprite of Fae which is kinda fucked up ngl.

You don't need to reply to this post, especially since you're sick. Just like it or put a facepalm on it or something, I'll know you've seen it and that's all I care about. But I think your old style, at least in pixel art, was definitely better, even if it was lifted from someone else. Don't put too much effort into being unique. Take it slow. You're already a solid artist and these deep lances into uncharted waters aren't worth the risk of sharks.

Also, you said you posted previews in this thread, but I didn't see any that I remember? Perhaps I'm blind. It's definitely VERY true that Patreon, Discord, and F95 are all significantly different environments that have almost no overlap. It makes sense to value us the least given we're the least likely to have handed you fat stacks in exchange for your hard work, but it is still a fan community, and one usually quite separate from the official Discord or the Patreon dwellers.

And it is a fan community. None of us are dropping the game. The immediate and vehement rejection of the art is definitely a reaction you'll have to figure out how you respond to, in particular if Discord and Patreon are positive about it. But we're not leaving you, and we're definitely not leaving this game. It's a damn good game, and still a far sight better than whatever's currently at the top of the threads list on the forum right now.

Unless that game is this game, in which case the above doesn't make much sense does it...

Parcel

Mar 27, 2017
I'm just commenting to say that I think a lot of your new art *does* work. The effort you put towards it definitely hasn't been wasted, and in particular I agree with some other people that the non-pixel examples look good. I definitely like the picture you just posted, for example, as well as a lot of the art you posted recently on your Patreon.

I actually think that some of the art you've done of Fey looks good too. The 360 view of her in panties you posted on Patreon is still attractive in my opinion, although it may be too skinny for some. I don't know how much control I'll have about where to keep the old art and where to have the new art, and it may not be worth it to implement the option with that much granularity. Although I agree with a lot of the criticisms here, there are definitely places I'd have the new art if it was an option.

I think Fae's skinniness and general proportions made her a rough test case for your new art style, but the style itself is worth iterating on, I think.

I absolutely want to see where this game goes, so I've started pledging on Patreon. Sorry the new art style had such a rough initial reception.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Boardguy and Txxus
4.70 star(s) 55 Votes