ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
I mean if the coder is overworked and stressed as Mity says he is wouldn't it just make sense to use some of that money to hire more people to relieve that stress? Sure they've never said that's what they'll do but I don't get why you can't understand why people would think that
thing is, a coder is a very pillar role in a game, or any software development. even if he does bring someone else, it will take a LONG time to get up to par with the code, and because its an evolving code, it mean, his additions may make the OG coder job more demanding.

of course, he could find someone who is able to quickly get up to par, but i doubt it will be that easy. still, better late than never, and i do belive bringing someone else might be a better solution anyway.

D

Deleted member 436513

thing is, a coder is a very pillar role in a game, or any software development. even if he does bring someone else, it will take a LONG time to get up to par with the code, and because its an evolving code, it mean, his additions may make the OG coder job more demanding.

of course, he could find someone who is able to quickly get up to par, but i doubt it will be that easy. still, better late than never, and i do belive bringing someone else might be a better solution anyway.
The more cynical among us would tell you that he should've fired his coder outright about 2 years ago, and replaced him with someone more competent.

WindIsHowling

Aug 5, 2017
The more cynical among us would tell you that he should've fired his coder outright about 2 years ago, and replaced him with someone more competent.
The coder started the project. The artist is the "new" guy who joined a little into book 1 I'm 90% sure. Regardless, they should hire someone. FETs code is already a mess which probably doesn't help dev times. Hiring someone to work on it wouldn't be that bad, even if they were just working on a more clean seperate branch that slowly merged into the main game. The coder's writing isn't bad at all, I reckon they could save so much time by just leaving him to write. There's no shortage of python devs that could do Ren'Py, it's hardly rocket science.

Ratnedalu

Jan 11, 2018
The coder started the project. The artist is the "new" guy who joined a little into book 1 I'm 90% sure. Regardless, they should hire someone. FETs code is already a mess which probably doesn't help dev times. Hiring someone to work on it wouldn't be that bad, even if they were just working on a more clean seperate branch that slowly merged into the main game. The coder's writing isn't bad at all, I reckon they could save so much time by just leaving him to write. There's no shortage of python devs that could do Ren'Py, it's hardly rocket science.
Other way around.

D

Deleted member 436513

You could also have a pretty clean division of labor by hiring people for different tasks, even with a project of this scope.

Somebody could be hired to go back and work on refactoring the previous games, thus having the ability to add things like a scene replay system or fix bugs without affecting current content at all, somebody could be hired purely to do repetitive busywork (assigning sprites to image files, setting up the frames of animation loops, cropping things out in Photoshop, layering, etc.), somebody else could work as an actual full time writer just on the story's flow and the dialogue, the main coder could work on the major systems (map navigation, day/night cycles, inventory, game progression, etc.), yet another programmer could work separately on something like the CCG minigame, you could hire another person for finding/composing/editing sound effects and music, another artist could come on just to do menial, boring technical art like cleanup work, coloring, doing inbetween frames and so on, you could hire someone else purely to make backgrounds, you could have yet more people doing things that require a different style (a segment where the characters need chibi sprites or detailed splash art), or someone doing general graphic design work like making UI elements.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Reactions: WindIsHowling

F1forhalp

SOTD: Apocalyptica - Path
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
geez. sometimes i get the impression that like 1/3rd the ppl in this thread are jobless coders, and the rest are ppl who keep saying "oh but he gets money" aren't even patrons. /rant
if you work along with a numbers guy, over time you get aligned in a certain way. he reads your ideas, not the paper. you both get the others' way of thinking, so, you know how to tell him do this, and he knows what you didn't tell. alignment; you can't just swap that. it would take time, or it would not work. or anything inbetween.
for patrons, if you're that unhappy with the update speed, you can just change your amount easily.
$0.02 added

edited a typo

D

Deleted member 436513

geez. sometimes i get the impression that like 1/3rd the ppl in this thread are jobless coders, and the rest are ppl who keep saying "oh but he gets money" aren't even patrons. /rant
if you work along with a numbers guy, over time you get aligned in a certain way. he reads your ideas, not the paper. you both get the others' way of thinking, so, you know how to tell him do this, and he knows what you didn't tell. alignment; you can't just swap that. it would take time, or it would not work. or anything inbetween.
for patrons, if you're that unhappy with the update speed, you can just change your amount easily.
$0.02 added

edited a typo
I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at. If you have the budget and the opportunity to hire a third person to work on your game, on an entirely separate task that doesn't require any "sixth sense" or stepping on anybody's toes, why wouldn't you?

It would benefit everybody. MITY and his friend would have less work to do, the game would be higher quality (thus leading to more patrons and more players), updates would be more frequent, and someone would get a job. Everybody wins. I don't get this attitude of "the two of them have been doing it alone so there's no possible room for improvement, just pay them less". Any indie studio would be absolutely ecstatic at the idea of having the money to employ THREE TIMES AS MANY PEOPLE.

Lilsmkr

Nov 24, 2019
Can anyone help me out? I'm on the earth nation part and at the moment i'm stuck on doing the crab fight with shady dude so i can get the map. My issue here is any time i start a crab battle with him or the old man, my game just keeps crashing. Anyone know how to fix this issue or know a way around this so i can get the map and finish this story.

DaisyChained

Feb 3, 2019
Honestly I wish I could take 3 months off of work with paid leave just because i felt stressed

There is such a thing as getting burned out and from experience that shit takes a long ass time to recover from. Long term sleep debt + a stressful lifestyle = being burned out = needing to recover. Burnout is actually an official medical condition now.

It's pretty simple in your case, if you're a patreon and not happy with the pace of the content then cancel your sub until you're satisfied.
If you're however not paying, don't be a smug twat and be grateful when ever your free content arrives...

D

Deleted member 436513

It's pretty simple in your case, if you're a patreon and not happy with the pace of the content then cancel your sub until you're satisfied.
If you're however not paying, don't be a smug twat and be grateful when ever your free content arrives...
I'm not sure how "not being a smug twat" would let somebody take 3 months of paid leave from their job. I checked with my employer, but they said no. :confused:

DaisyChained

Feb 3, 2019
I'm not sure how "not being a smug twat" would let somebody take 3 months of paid leave from their job. I checked with my employer, but they said no. :confused:
well he's being payed by people willingly and not by an employer, that's what I mean (patreon money is pretty much donations). Where I come from you can take 3 months of sick leave (actually as much as you need to recover), you don't get payed your full wage and it's not from your employer but you get payed enough to survive and don't get fired.

As I said, if you're not happy, stop paying.

D

Deleted member 436513

well he's being payed by people willingly and not by an employer, that's what I mean (patreon money is pretty much donations). Where I come from you can take 3 months of sick leave (actually as much as you need to recover), you don't get payed your full wage and it's not from your employer but you get payed enough to survive and don't get fired.

As I said, if you're not happy, stop paying.
Yeah, again, no. Where I come from, most people don't get to list "being burnt out" as a valid medical reason for (multiple months of) paid leave with a guarantee for employment afterwards. I'm not saying whether that's good or bad, they just don't. The topic at hand is explicitly "I wish they would let ME do that", rather than "I wish HE wouldn't be able to do that".

D

Deleted member 436513

the topic at hand is people bitching and other people bitching about people bitching and there is probably a third group bitching about people bitching about people bitching.
I'm going to start bitching about that if it doesn't stop.

Reactions: APoc1

Sword26

Donor
Aug 8, 2016
Can it be said we'll get a update this mnth or shall i continue traverse the fem protag rpgs fully well aware of what's happened

4.50 star(s) 276 Votes