PierrotSol

Sep 15, 2017
Have you ever played Rogue Like Evolution? It is an update every 6 months, and sometimes the update is just a few lines of different code.
This game does not have the fastest updates on this site, but it is far from the most time consuming.
You're trying to justify a bad practice with another bad practice. If I mugged someone that's no reason for you to start mugging others as well. How can you be this brainwashed?

YoraeRasante

Jul 28, 2019
Imagine paying 12 months and not getting a release 1/3 to 1/2 of those months. How is that reasonable?
that's kinda normal for most projects. This one takes a reasonable time between updates, but when they do happen they usually happen in a burst. The problem here is that most people expected such a burst right now.

I'm not talking about other projects I'm talking about this one.
well, there needs to be a standard to judge all projects. If you expect this project to be updated fast, you should expect others too.
Exactly they've been at it for 4 years. They make more than enough to bring in extra help to prevent things like burnout yet instead they drop minimal updates and then fuck off for months on end all the while leaving little updates to keep their income flowing. Doesn't that seem sketchy to you? But hey, say I'm the one in the wrong here whatever.
that's not how creative burnout works. and since the problem here is creative extra help would not help.

You're trying to justify a bad practice with another bad practice. If I mugged someone that's no reason for you to start mugging others as well. How can you be this brainwashed?
while expecting a work that takes time to justify another one doing so could be objectionable, when it is two popular ones and the one with smaller updates takes longer, while you do not show an example of one of similar quality taking less time, especially when the main issue with this one is writing where the other one barely has it, it is indeed a good comparison to make, in my opinion.
you are expecting high quality in a short time, yet such cases are rare to happen. everyone here has been accostumed to the level of quality their writing gives so we know they should do a good work if they do not rush it - the Slave Route was pretty fast, but most people admit it was not to the writing standards they are used to, while this one everyone praises the short writing we already got and the problem is they want more on the same level as soon as possible.

naoligopraisso

Jun 13, 2018
I'm not trying to justify anything, I'm trying to say that there are worse cases, besides that you are treating this delay as if it were the end of the world, you can complain about the delay as much as you want, this will not make the update come out faster .
I'm not trying to play a false moralist by saying something like:
"You are not in the patreon, so you have no right to complain"
No, you can complain as much as you like, but I also have the right to express my opinion, without wanting to hear a bullshit like "brainwashing".
And in my opinion, there is no reason to be so disgusted, since last year exactly the same thing happened, a 4 month delay.

Reactions: FireSauner0

FallinD

Jun 12, 2020
Hey guys, do you know if the update will only be about bk4 LR?

I'd love to play a fifth book, this game is great!

YoraeRasante

Jul 28, 2019
Hey guys, do you know if the update will only be about bk4 LR?

I'd love to play a fifth book, this game is great!
the current update is to progress on book 4 love route, yes. According to the creator, after that it will be just be a final chapter to close things up. We have no idea what it will be about though, but there are some possible hints through the books on both routes, sometimes different to each route, thus why I sometimes post speculations that one person called "full twin peaks" (still need to watch it, by the way)

Reactions: Separin and FallinD

FallinD

Jun 12, 2020
the current update is to progress on book 4 love route, yes. According to the creator, after that it will be just be a final chapter to close things up. We have no idea what it will be about though, but there are some possible hints through the books on both routes, sometimes different to each route, thus why I sometimes post speculations that one person called "full twin peaks" (still need to watch it, by the way)
Thx!
I like your idea about twins... I like to imagine shady being the anti-avatar (instead of reincarnating hes immortal) and having to kill him to reunite your true self, in the same way as the naga snake sisters.

Aug 13, 2017
that's not how creative burnout works. and since the problem here is creative extra help would not help.
How do you know the problem is creative? They've said multiple times in the past the problem is burnout from the coders side. They cite that it's too much work piling up on them and that they need to take breaks because of the burnout, so would this not lead the people reading the updates to believe that if they had extra help to take some of the load off of the coder that things would go smoother? You're making no sense. You're trying to seem reasonable by breaking down my argument but you have nothing to base it on. They have a general idea of what they want the story to be but the problem always seems to be when they implement minigames or random shit nobody needs and then the coder "burns out". It makes sense from a business standpoint for them to hire extra help to have the updates come out more smoothly and then draw in more patrons but instead they're set on it just being the two of them and then leading everybody along with status updates about random shit.

Reactions: CarpeDiem69

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
How do you know the problem is creative? They've said multiple times in the past the problem is burnout from the coders side. They cite that it's too much work piling up on them and that they need to take breaks because of the burnout, so would this not lead the people reading the updates to believe that if they had extra help to take some of the load off of the coder that things would go smoother? You're making no sense. You're trying to seem reasonable by breaking down my argument but you have nothing to base it on. They have a general idea of what they want the story to be but the problem always seems to be when they implement minigames or random shit nobody needs and then the coder "burns out". It makes sense from a business standpoint for them to hire extra help to have the updates come out more smoothly and then draw in more patrons but instead they're set on it just being the two of them and then leading everybody along with status updates about random shit.
I think the latest reason was writers block although it is a form of burnout I don't think that has anything to do with the shitty mini games. Writers block is a hard one to over come, I am not saying I buy every excuse that gets laid out there but does it really matter? all this righteous indignation on update frequency is pointless. If you are a patreon and you don't like the delays then vote with your feet simple right? I don't really see any hard evidence in your post to prove your milking theory. Also the coder is the main writer and while I think he is crazier than a bag of scorpions on meth I don't see any real evidence that they are consciously milking people.

YoraeRasante

Jul 28, 2019
the coder is the main writer. it was specifically said by the artist it is writers' block affecting - creative. As a coder and amateur writer myself, I can understand him making, then adding, minigames as a way to relax his head to be able to work on the story better later. In fact, I can almost bet that is the reason for all the minigames, thinking more about it.

you are purposefully making no sense. you are trying to break down my argument by focusing on something you think is a fault you can base yours on, while it could be counter-argued by just looking a few pages ago on this thread. also putting it all in one paragraph so I would get too tired to actually read it, so you can pretend you "won"

"burnout" can come from anything. And as the coder is also the writer, something that was not always clear, that means two different reasons it could be so.
especially as he was not an experienced coder at the start, as the artist himself is working on refactoring (bettering) the old code on the side. meaning most of his old code was copied from public ones with some edits, or as I said before made to relax his mind, so most of the burnout on his side should be from the writing.

also, many of the old ones were on the artist's side too. and you can't expect a second artist to mesh well with the old one, just look at the mess of Corrupted /Hearts' Wonderland with three different artists for many reasons.

It seems to me the new people complained are just people who recently arrived and just want more and to complain, and not really into the reasons for the delay or even if they are reasonable, as it would get in the ways of the complaining.

if we stopped just complaining about there being a delay, and talked about... anything else related to the game, I doubt this would have gotten to page 1000 yet. And we are already on page 1014

RocketSurgery

Sep 15, 2017
Exactly they've been at it for 4 years. They make more than enough to bring in extra help to prevent things like burnout yet instead they drop minimal updates and then fuck off for months on end all the while leaving little updates to keep their income flowing. Doesn't that seem sketchy to you? But hey, say I'm the one in the wrong here whatever.
They could do a lot of things if they wanted to expand MITY's capacity but they obviously don't want to, people proceed to support them to this high level of revenue regardless. Just because more people support does not mean they are obligated to ramp up capacity to match. Also, timely monthly releases is really uncommon in the software development world; my software team only releases quarterly despite monthly subscription.

Reactions: F1forhalp

FireSauner0

Nov 15, 2018
Why is the concept of diminishing returns when hiring new people on a small project that hard to understand?

Let me explain with an analogy: How many people does it take to change a lightbulb (in an average day-to-day situation)? One. The second person doesn't add much, but can be of some assistance at least. The third (and needless to say, beyond) is just standing around, being of no use at all.

There are problems that can't be fixed by throwing more people at them. I explained something like this 70 pages or so ago. If it's a writing issue, a new coder won't help much, as it isn't the bottleneck.

Everybody is free to express their opinions, but keep in mind that's also true for everyone else. Also, consider not parroting the same stuff that's been said a million times, this ,,debate" has been going for dozens of pages, with basically nothing new being said, burying official updates and other useful info in the process. (yes, i've considered taking my own advice and not posting, but I believe most of this hasn't been said)

Balrog

Jan 10, 2018
Why is the concept of diminishing returns when hiring new people on a small project that hard to understand?

Let me explain with an analogy: How many people does it take to change a lightbulb (in an average day-to-day situation)? One. The second person doesn't add much, but can be of some assistance at least. The third (and needless to say, beyond) is just standing around, being of no use at all.

There are problems that can't be fixed by throwing more people at them. I explained something like this 70 pages or so ago. If it's a writing issue, a new coder won't help much, as it isn't the bottleneck.

Everybody is free to express their opinions, but keep in mind that's also true for everyone else. Also, consider not parroting the same stuff that's been said a million times, this ,,debate" has been going for dozens of pages, with basically nothing new being said, burying official updates and other useful info in the process. (yes, i've considered taking my own advice and not posting, but I believe most of this hasn't been said)
Your explaination suck ass because when you have to change a whole building's worth of lightbulb every month (making 1 build) and you take a 4 month break after every 5 buildings because changing lightbulb all day for months kill your soul, a second person to switch a part of the workload WILL help.

Your exemple sucked 70 pages ago and it suck now.

Aug 13, 2017
the coder is the main writer. it was specifically said by the artist it is writers' block affecting - creative. As a coder and amateur writer myself, I can understand him making, then adding, minigames as a way to relax his head to be able to work on the story better later. In fact, I can almost bet that is the reason for all the minigames, thinking more about it.

you are purposefully making no sense. you are trying to break down my argument by focusing on something you think is a fault you can base yours on, while it could be counter-argued by just looking a few pages ago on this thread. also putting it all in one paragraph so I would get too tired to actually read it, so you can pretend you "won"

"burnout" can come from anything. And as the coder is also the writer, something that was not always clear, that means two different reasons it could be so.
especially as he was not an experienced coder at the start, as the artist himself is working on refactoring (bettering) the old code on the side. meaning most of his old code was copied from public ones with some edits, or as I said before made to relax his mind, so most of the burnout on his side should be from the writing.

also, many of the old ones were on the artist's side too. and you can't expect a second artist to mesh well with the old one, just look at the mess of Corrupted /Hearts' Wonderland with three different artists for many reasons.

It seems to me the new people complained are just people who recently arrived and just want more and to complain, and not really into the reasons for the delay or even if they are reasonable, as it would get in the ways of the complaining.

if we stopped just complaining about there being a delay, and talked about... anything else related to the game, I doubt this would have gotten to page 1000 yet. And we are already on page 1014
Riddle me this then, if the coder is the main writer then how does my point about them hiring new help not make sense? Surely if they delegate coding responsibility to a new hire that frees up the current coder to write and takes off some of the pressure.

Reactions: AJ2018
Aug 13, 2017

Your analogy doesn't really track because you're comparing game dev to a mundane task. Changing a light bulb is a one man task but game dev is a whole different ball park. Current they have an artist who sometimes codes side releases like the Halloween specials and a coder who is also the main writer, correct? In the past they've said the coder has suffered serious burnout presumably from the load of having to code everything by themselves and coming up with the main story. However if they hire at least one new person to help with the coding doesn't that free up the load for the coder to then focus on the writing and relieve some of the stress thus preventing this constant burnout? This problem has started ever since that 4 month delay and I'm not saying they're purposefully trying to milk patrons but they have started to get sloppier with releases and take the whole thing for granted. I'm not going to stop bringing this up because every status update of theirs reeks of bullshit to me, I simply don't trust them. Either way I don't care much when they release but I'm always going to talk out against bullshit.

Reactions: Separin
D

Deleted member 59977

Honestly, wanting to compare a delay of a few months with a robbery, what an exaggeration lol.
The devs said the game was coming out last month since I liked the game I became a high tier patreon and nothing happened. If I wanted to throw away money I would have thrown it elsewhere.

Its not a big amount and I really dont mind delays I understand that shit happens and I am fine with that. But what I saw here was incompetence, a lack of coordination among the creators and several excuses - even one of the creators did not know what was up with the other creator based on the patreon comments. I personally am never again going to support them for this reason.

And this is one of the reasons I dont mind the complaining in the forums - it at least gives people a warning before they decide to support. If people are fine with inconsistent updates and like the project enough to overlook the above then thats great but for people who are not familiar with the devs and their track record, all this complaining is a very good thing.

Aug 13, 2017
People always say "these forums are for discussing the game stop whining". Not realising that for starters they're also whining but also if there was actually something to discuss people would but when all they wake up to is delays its only natural they would be dissatisfied and want to vent about it. We'll discuss the game when there's actual new content to discuss but what we have has already been talked about.

Feb 5, 2018
This is not a professional book he is writing, this is porn game ffs. 95% of the reason this game is good is the art. For me, the writing is only there to tie things together and explain how I progress. I am frustrated because the thing holding back progress, is low importance filler.

If the artist left, the future of this game would instantly die. The coder/writer can be replaced. The artist made 2 halloween games all by himself and I enjoyed both mainly because of the art. His partner is nothing but a ball and chain at this point.

Aug 13, 2017
This is not a professional book he is writing, this is porn game ffs. 95% of the reason this game is good is the art. For me, the writing is only there to tie things together and explain how I progress. I am frustrated because the thing holding back progress, is low importance filler.

If the artist left, the future of this game would instantly die. The coder/writer can be replaced. The artist made 2 halloween games all by himself and I enjoyed both mainly because of the art. His partner is nothing but a ball and chain at this point.
I wouldn't go that far, the writing is all right what actually holds back the game is the slow progress which seems to come from when the coder decides they want to add some minigame which has no relevance to the game and ends up breaking it. What they need is at least one more person to help with the load.

4.50 star(s) 276 Votes